An on-line course on population genetics?

Farstar

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Catalan
I have been an R programmer for a long time (nothing to do with life sciences). I see that many of the tools in Eurogenes, Dodecad, ... are just relatively straightforward applications of statistical science (PCA analysis, minimizing distances, etc.). For me, doing PCA (and similar) and charting beautiful plots is easy.

What happens is that I do not know the basics needed to reach to that point, nor, even more importantly, the specific steps necessary to reach that point:

1. Gathering a database of reliable samples from researchers, as complete as possible
2. Knowing which target I am looking at
3. Being able to get, from my 23andme raw data, the data

There are many tools around, even some for free. But I would like to try for myself. At least in my field, there are many courses on R and Python teaching many subjects. Is there some class that would teach how to do all this?

I have been an R programmer for a long time (nothing to do with life sciences). I see that many of the tools in Eurogenes, Dodecad, ... are just relatively straightforward applications of statistical science (PCA analysis, minimizing distances, etc.). For me, doing PCA (and similar) and charting beautiful plots is easy.

What happens is that I do not know the basics needed to reach to that point, nor, even more importantly, the specific steps necessary to reach that point:

1. Gathering a database of reliable samples from researchers, as complete as possible
2. Knowing which target I am looking at
3. Being able to get, from my 23andme raw data, the data

There are many tools around, even some for free. But I would like to try for myself. At least in my field, there are many courses on R and Python teaching many subjects. Is there some class that would teach how to do all this?

I don't know of one, Farstar, but I'll look around.

This thread has been viewed 2185 times.

Back