Overall activity: 35.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

DNA matches that stand out

I am a Greek from the Evros prefecture. My grandparents came across the Evros (Maritsa) River from Eastern Thrace. I have taken an Ancestry DNA test and a LivingDNA test but additionally I have uploaded my results to FTDNA and MyHeritage sites. While the vast majority of the matches are with other Greeks there are some that are somewhat unusual:

1. a 63cM total shared, 17 cM largest block match with mostly Romanian surnames in his tree (there is a Diaconu surname that might be either Greek or Romanian or mixed)
    2. a 60cM total, 13cM largest block match with an Italian that can trace ancestry to a Cretan escaping the Ottoman occupation with the Venetians

I would love to find out how we are related.

Anything that stands out in your matches?

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Weirdly, I'm at "second to third cousin" level with a family which traces descent from Denmark.

It has to be that someone North-Central Italian got into their bloodline without their knowing, or it's a case where 23andme are mistaking IBS for IBD. It's way too long ago for that close a link because of Langobards or whatever.

Other than that, all my closer matches have ancestry from Emilia, Liguria or northwestern Toscana, which makes perfect sense. I think the highest number of matches are with people with Ligurian ancestry, but I think that's a function of the fact that a lot of Ligurians went to Latin America, and their descendants tested. Not all that many people from far western, mountainous Emilia have tested, or the Lunigiana for that matter.

As an illustration of how Italy is very structured genetically, not only do I not have matches with Southern Italians, I don't have matches with people from southern Toscana or Lazio or the Veneto or Lombardia. Occasionally I get a match with someone with Piemonte in their ancestry.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Ethnic group
    Northern European

Seems like almost all of my matches have origins in my family's ancestral regions (some very specific locations) but there's always the oddball matches too. I've got four 30-40cm matches on myheritage.com with Ukrainians and Russians. All are shared matches with Germans

3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 785
    Overall activity: 69.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1

Ethnic group
    North Italian

Quote Originally Posted by matty74 View Post
    Seems like almost all of my matches have origins in my family's ancestral regions (some very specific locations) but there's always the oddball matches too. I've got four 30-40cm matches on myheritage.com with Ukrainians and Russians. All are shared matches with Germans
    Are you slav?

an hour ago I got a myhertiage and 23andme match with a person surname Seitz ( looks like match happened between 1750- 1790 )..........they say they went to USA (MA ) via Cormons Friuli in Italy , and before that they where in istria and before this in Styria 18th century ( slovenia ? ) ...............there original name was Zice ................is this slav or ?
    Fathers mtdna T2b17
    Grandfather mtdna T1a1e
    Sons mtdna K1a4o
    Mum paternal line R1b-S8172
    Grandmum paternal side I1d1-P109
    Wife paternal line R1a-Z282

1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Ethnic group
    Northern European

I'm straight up northwest European. It's entirely possible that your Seitz/Zice could be Slovenian in origin or Germanised Slovenes. I'm not well versed on the population movements of northern Italians/Slovenes and Austrians but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that there's been some intermixing in generations past.

As for your original question, I don't think I'm Slavic. Nothing in my background suggests that.

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by torzio View Post
    Are you slav?

an hour ago I got a myhertiage and 23andme match with a person surname Seitz ( looks like match happened between 1750- 1790 )..........they say they went to USA (MA ) via Cormons Friuli in Italy , and before that they where in istria and before this in Styria 18th century ( slovenia ? ) ...............there original name was Zice ................is this slav or ?
    Žiče/Seitz is old Romanic Carthusian monastery in Slovenia or near village with the same name. The monastery was – maybe interesting to you – closed in 1782. People living in the village were probably Slovenes, initially peasants who became craftsmen to do some work in the monastery.

1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b U-152
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c8

Ethnic group
    Italian, Jewish, British

Not sure how this happened. But, here is a top 23andme match and the best proof of connection I can find.
    So the prediction is 2nd cousin, but the reality looks more like we have a common Great (x3) Grandfather.

Also different X haplogroups but has to be from my maternal lineage due to common ancestry

Capturecc.jpgCapture.jpg