bigsnake49

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Thracian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7558 (LDNA)
mtDNA haplogroup
U5a1b
I am a Greek from the Evros prefecture. My grandparents came across the Evros (Maritsa) River from Eastern Thrace. I have taken an Ancestry DNA test and a LivingDNA test but additionally I have uploaded my results to FTDNA and MyHeritage sites. While the vast majority of the matches are with other Greeks there are some that are somewhat unusual:

1. a 63cM total shared, 17 cM largest block match with mostly Romanian surnames in his tree (there is a Diaconu surname that might be either Greek or Romanian or mixed)
2. a 60cM total, 13cM largest block match with an Italian that can trace ancestry to a Cretan escaping the Ottoman occupation with the Venetians

I would love to find out how we are related.

Anything that stands out in your matches?

Weirdly, I'm at "second to third cousin" level with a family which traces descent from Denmark.

It has to be that someone North-Central Italian got into their bloodline without their knowing, or it's a case where 23andme are mistaking IBS for IBD. It's way too long ago for that close a link because of Langobards or whatever.

Other than that, all my closer matches have ancestry from Emilia, Liguria or northwestern Toscana, which makes perfect sense. I think the highest number of matches are with people with Ligurian ancestry, but I think that's a function of the fact that a lot of Ligurians went to Latin America, and their descendants tested. Not all that many people from far western, mountainous Emilia have tested, or the Lunigiana for that matter.

As an illustration of how Italy is very structured genetically, not only do I not have matches with Southern Italians, I don't have matches with people from southern Toscana or Lazio or the Veneto or Lombardia. Occasionally I get a match with someone with Piemonte in their ancestry.

Seems like almost all of my matches have origins in my family's ancestral regions (some very specific locations) but there's always the oddball matches too. I've got four 30-40cm matches on myheritage.com with Ukrainians and Russians. All are shared matches with Germans

Seems like almost all of my matches have origins in my family's ancestral regions (some very specific locations) but there's always the oddball matches too. I've got four 30-40cm matches on myheritage.com with Ukrainians and Russians. All are shared matches with Germans

Are you slav?

an hour ago I got a myhertiage and 23andme match with a person surname Seitz ( looks like match happened between 1750- 1790 )..........they say they went to USA (MA ) via Cormons Friuli in Italy , and before that they where in istria and before this in Styria 18th century ( slovenia ? ) ...............there original name was Zice ................is this slav or ?

I'm straight up northwest European. It's entirely possible that your Seitz/Zice could be Slovenian in origin or Germanised Slovenes. I'm not well versed on the population movements of northern Italians/Slovenes and Austrians but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that there's been some intermixing in generations past.

As for your original question, I don't think I'm Slavic. Nothing in my background suggests that.

Qx2yYOU.png

Are you slav?

an hour ago I got a myhertiage and 23andme match with a person surname Seitz ( looks like match happened between 1750- 1790 )..........they say they went to USA (MA ) via Cormons Friuli in Italy , and before that they where in istria and before this in Styria 18th century ( slovenia ? ) ...............there original name was Zice ................is this slav or ?

Žiče/Seitz is old Romanic Carthusian monastery in Slovenia or near village with the same name. The monastery was – maybe interesting to you – closed in 1782. People living in the village were probably Slovenes, initially peasants who became craftsmen to do some work in the monastery.

Not sure how this happened. But, here is a top 23andme match and the best proof of connection I can find.
So the prediction is 2nd cousin, but the reality looks more like we have a common Great (x3) Grandfather.

Also different X haplogroups but has to be from my maternal lineage due to common ancestry

Capturecc.jpgCapture.jpg

This thread has been viewed 4087 times.

Back