Who were the Illyrians?

Have any Illyrian remains been found and genetically tested? I want to finally put to rest how much Illyrian blood South Slavs have and if Albanians are the true standard bearers of this clan.

the roman census of illyrian before the 4 year war, which after the roman victory a very high percentage of "illyrians" where dispersed to other parts of the roman empire

Salona is modern Solin , Croatia

Narona is modern Neretva area in Croatia

names of tribes on the left, you can see that Salona has the bulk of the "Illyrian" population

Have any Illyrian remains been found and genetically tested? I want to finally put to rest how much Illyrian blood South Slavs have and if Albanians are the true standard bearers of this clan.

In terms of evidence there already is based on the direct Y-Chromosome. Dalmatia, Bronze Age Proto-Illyrian was found bearing J2b-L283(Most commonly found in Albanians). Autosomally speaking, it was more North-italian shifted, suggesting Proto-Albanians or there ancestors were probably more western shifted in antiquity.

As far as South Slavs go, most Illyrian ancestry is by proxy(acquired through marrying native women). While not confirmed Illyrian, it is widely accepted that E-V13 correlated to some subset of Thraco-Illyrian tribes.

Most potential Illyrian ancestry in South Slavs, via the Y-Chromosome are those carrying E-V13. J2b as far as I know is far less common in South Slavs, but some Croatians have J2b-L283. As far as "blood", all Balkan people bear Illyrian or Thracian blood.

As far as bearing the Y-Chromosome of Illyrians, Albanians seem to have the highest percentage, followed by Montenegrins and Southern Serbs. Not to mention they are the closest surviving culture/ethnic similitude to the paleo-balkan tribes.

the roman census of illyrian before the 4 year war, which after the roman victory a very high percentage of "illyrians" where dispersed to other parts of the roman empire

Salona is modern Solin , Croatia

Narona is modern Neretva area in Croatia

names of tribes on the left, you can see that Salona has the bulk of the "Illyrian" population

I thought that only the Northern "Illyrians" revolted, right. The southern tribes never did. Also were not the northern tribes heavily admixed with Celts. I know that there was a Celtic Band under Brennus that knocked around in Thrace and Greece for about 100 years in the 3rd century BC but I seem to remember that the north "Illyrian" tribes were influenced by the Celts a lot earlier.

I thought that only the Northern "Illyrians" revolted, right. The southern tribes never did. Also were not the northern tribes heavily admixed with Celts. I know that there was a Celtic Band under Brennus that knocked around in Thrace and Greece for about 100 years in the 3rd century BC but I seem to remember that the north "Illyrian" tribes were influenced by the Celts a lot earlier.

The NO tribes where not in the revolt, others where

says 30,000 southern Illyrians where not in the revolt .....................

and Dindari ............Dindari are the celtic Scordisci Illyrian in the south ( serbia )

Remember the Roman census only took able fighting aged men .............does not include the old, children or women

It seems also that the northern and central "illyrian" tribes tattooed their bodies like their northern neighbours the celts and the Daunians in Foggia Italy ( Daunians are the main group/tribe of the Messapics )

I have already put an Academia group paper ( on this forum ) on this Daunian and Iapodes ( northern Illyrian ) group who tattooed their bodies, including the women

The NO tribes where not in the revolt, others where

says 30,000 southern Illyrians where not in the revolt .....................

and Dindari ............Dindari are the celtic Scordisci Illyrian in the south ( serbia )

Remember the Roman census only took able fighting aged men .............does not include the old, children or women

It seems also that the northern and central "illyrian" tribes tattooed their bodies like their northern neighbours the celts and the Daunians in Foggia Italy ( Daunians are the main group/tribe of the Messapics )

I have already put an Academia group paper ( on this forum ) on this Daunian and Iapodes ( northern Illyrian ) group who tattooed their bodies, including the women

Are there any records on where the rebelling tribes ended up after they were defeated? They were dispersed all over the empire. The Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman emperors moved populations around quite a bit to repopulate depopulated areas. They also gave land grants and roman citizenship to retiring war veterans. While most of the veterans retired in their home territories some were encouraged to settle elsewhere to serve as the eyes and ears of the empire or become the tax collectors.

This thread has been viewed 13174 times.

Back