the origin of al Andalus

I have no idea who we got it from, if anyone, but we do that as well; it's excellent.

Latte dolce fritto alla ligure.

lattefritto_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Our legend is that Spanish Jews expelled from Spain brought it during their wanderings, along with our sweet rice torta.

Corretta-e-ritagliata-fetta.jpg

Another version:
torta-di-riso-dolcefb.jpg

In the lunigiana we add more eggs and the method is a little different, so it's dryer.

3076_Torta.jpg

I wonder if they actually do anything like this in Spain.

That looks delicious. It seems simple enough to have been invented in multiple places.

I've never had that sweet rice torta but looks great too.

1 liter of milk, 5 eggs, 3 yolks, 180 gr. sugar, 100 gr. cornstarch, 1/2 lemon zest, 1/2 cinnamon stick, 1/4 vanilla bean. For the batter: Flour, egg and sunflower oil.

There is the simplest way to do it or with eggs and lemon zest as in this recipe from ABC de Sevilla

https://sevilla.abc.es/gurme/recetas/leche-frita/

I remember that my maternal grandmother made fried milk because she talked to her as an adult, since she was not a traditional grandmother and the children did not like it.

I really do not know how Andalusians see us from abroad if there are many topics or not but I have never seen people colder than my family, both maternal and paternal and yet there are other families in the town who are like clans are considered family even if they are third, fourth, or fifth cousins but not mine, they behave as if they were strangers.

I once did but I think I did the simpler version.

They are not dishes that are being made continuously and sometimes even one forgets them since at present we do not need as many calories and perhaps they are remembered at festive times, especially Easter or Christmas.

Hey, wait a minute!
I always heard that the origin of dulce de leche was disputed by Argentines and Uruguayans !! ... :)
Dulce de leche is intimately linked to our culture.
In fact, my breakfast today consisted of coffee with milk and two toasts with dulce de leche ...

Here in Minas Gerais we produce a delicious coffee flavored milk sweet (doce de leite or dulce de leche). It is not exported. It is just for local consumption. It is a sweet with the purest Arabica coffee from southwest Minas Gerais. It is an organic product from Minas Gerais that I am now tasting.

x9rlLLc.jpg

iBt5cYT.jpg

I2bLP60.jpg

aXugsR6.jpg

Hey, wait a minute!
I always heard that the origin of dulce de leche was disputed by Argentines and Uruguayans !! ... :)
Dulce de leche is intimately linked to our culture.
In fact, my breakfast today consisted of coffee with milk and two toasts with dulce de leche ...

Given that Normandy, Norway and Russia have their own versions and condensed milk was invented in France (and others are saying its Indonesian) its probably an old world product (probably European imo). I just wish we could figure out the true origins.

I love dulce de leche. The Uruguayan bakery near me makes the best donuts and alfajores with it.

Given that Normandy, Norway and Russia have their own versions and condensed milk was invented in France (and others are saying its Indonesian) its probably an old world product (probably European imo). I just wish we could figure out the true origins.

I love dulce de leche. The Uruguayan bakery near me makes the best donuts and alfajores with it.

Right now I do not remember if I have tried the dulce de leche, it reminds me of Solano caramels and condensed milk is mine; even if a Frenchman invented it.

Fried milk and other desserts such as Custard are the most sporadic consumption in my house with a long period of time between one elaboration and another.. The most common desserts are flan and custard and yogurt.

flan-de-huevo-3aa-815x458.jpg

368px-Bowl_of_natillas_at_Madrid.jpg

800px-Turkish_strained_yogurt.jpg

The flan and the custard were the desserts that my mother had as usual and made in a homemade way, the yogurt we bought, all the other very sporadic desserts.

Uruguayans are very few (approximately three and a half million) ... but we are distributed everywhere ... :)

Fried milk and other desserts such as Custard are the most sporadic consumption in my house with a long period of time between one elaboration and another.. The most common desserts are flan and custard and yogurt.

flan-de-huevo-3aa-815x458.jpg

368px-Bowl_of_natillas_at_Madrid.jpg

800px-Turkish_strained_yogurt.jpg

The flan and the custard were the desserts that my mother had as usual and made in a homemade way, the yogurt we bought, all the other very sporadic desserts.

OMG!...look at this flan!!!

The flan looks good but I think there are better deserts from the area.

On a related note why does wikipedia say that torrone/turon is derived from a Central Asian nougat dish? There doesn't seem to be any evidence for that. Are people lying to try to take credit for European dishes now? I actually read some idiots arguing that the majority of European scientists, inventors, chefs, architects, writers and painters hall had some East Asian or SSA ancestry as those components make you more creative. Their evidence was that Pushkin was 1/8 SSA so everybody else might have been too. This attack on European culture is real. Just a bunch of nonsense.

The flan looks good but I think there are better deserts from the area.

On a related note why does wikipedia say that torrone/turon is derived from a Central Asian nougat dish? There doesn't seem to be any evidence for that. Are people lying to try to take credit for European dishes now? I actually read some idiots arguing that the majority of European scientists, inventors, chefs, architects, writers and painters hall had some East Asian or SSA ancestry as those components make you more creative. Their evidence was that Pushkin was 1/8 SSA so everybody else might have been too. This attack on European culture is real. Just a bunch of nonsense.

it's a very, very small phenomenon it seems because i almost never heard something like this. however what i can tell you is, that many of those european scientists had jewish roots. is that also an attack on european culture? because from what i've read in the other thread i'm not sure if you people would consider those jews as europeans.

Both of you, enough.

This constant discussion of whether people are taking credit for other people's food or music or whatever is getting old and it just causes needless controversy.

Some things are so simple they probably were invented independently many times around the world. Sometimes ideas travel along trade routes. I think that's great; that's how we learn from one another and improve one's lives.

What difference does it make?

If it's true that we owe our sweet rice torta to the poor Jews kicked out of al Andalus then I'm grateful. I'm also grateful for the oranges and other foodstuffs introduced into Sicily by the Saracens.

"Muslim settlers introduced Italy to the durum wheat they could use for pasta, to rice for risotto, and to sugarcane for dolci. Citrus fruit, spinach, chickpeas, artichokes, and sesame seeds—all of them, plus eggplants for caponata and myriad other ingredients, were brought to Sicily from North Africa."

For the America's it's called the Columbian Exchange. Surely you learned about it in school.

Columbian-Exchange-Chart.jpg

Both of you, enough.

This constant discussion of whether people are taking credit for other people's food or music or whatever is getting old and it just causes needless controversy.

do you mean me? i wrote just one comment after reading comment after comment about those afrocentrists, which are an extremely small group compared to other way more dangerous groups, or if certain influences are from europe or not. and so i asked him a legitimate question i think because it is undeniable that many people which he probably does not consider to be european contributed a lot to european society no matter if pasta is chinese or italian or greek.
and it certainly isn't swiss or english so in those regions it's a foreign influence anyway noone cares about the real origin just because it could make the food come from elsewhere or not.

The first rural Islamic necropolis in Navarra

https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/n...3rbJs0b2lTPxw9I2NVla7vUGCeMRHr0Sb7_7LU8i8IKkI

primera-necropolis-1.jpg

Around 60 graves have been found in the 2019 excavations in Gayarre and Príncipe de Viana de Ribaforada streets in the Maqbara of this riverside town, the first in all of Navarra that has been found in rural areas, since until now they had been found in Tudela (Andalusí necropolis of Herrerias and Mudejar of Torre Monreal) and in Pamplona (Andalusí necropolis of Plaza del Castillo).

Carbon 14 tests would have to be done to determine whether they belong to the Andalusí period (8th-11th centuries) or Mudejar (12th-16th centuries)

The skeleton on the table must be a reproduction, I don't know if it will be made to scale because that head and structure are huge.

This thread has been viewed 49128 times.

Back