Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 526 to 550 of 1792

Thread: New Coronavirus in China

  1. #526
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,532
    Points
    380,034
    Level
    100
    Points: 380,034, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York





    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Potentially even longer.

    We need a vaccine ASAP.
    They've skipped animal trials, and gone straight to brave people volunteering to be guinea pigs, and they say STILL 12 months to 18 months.

    Good grief. In between bouts of checking my internet feeds, I'm watching movies and tv serials.

    On Amazon Prime I'm watching Thous Shalt Not Kill, an Italian police procedural (English subtitles). The benefits and the drama of close family relationships.

    It's quite good, especially the acting. The lead is played by Miriam Leone, a former Miss Italy (totally de-glamorized). Usually beauty pageant types can't act; she can.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  2. #527
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,618
    Points
    44,173
    Level
    64
    Points: 44,173, Level: 64
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Northener View Post
    Ok recognizable I have some problems with concentration too, but that's partly because the little one sleeps bad and keeps us awake. That's bad for our resistance....

    Like I said to yetos, they are giving the academic hospital personel a tuberculosis serum in order to give the resistance a boost. That's an experiment.

    Yesterday we had in the whole country at 20.00 an applause ceremony, this evening at 1900 the bells of all churches were ringing for a long time.....
    churches are closed for ceremonies here,
    they are open for personal pray, max 20 min, and entrance is allowed according m2 (square meters)
    so a church of 100 m2 can accept only 9 people + 1 priest)
    the problem is funerals,
    people you know die, and you can't go to church, neither to cemetery,
    relatives have problems, cause not more than 10 people above cemetery tomp is allowed,
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

    When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

    Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

  3. #528
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    890
    Points
    13,149
    Level
    34
    Points: 13,149, Level: 34
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    churches are closed for ceremonies here,
    they are open for personal pray, max 20 min, and entrance is allowed according m2 (square meters)
    so a church of 100 m2 can accept only 9 people + 1 priest)
    the problem is funerals,
    people you know die, and you can't go to church, neither to cemetery,
    relatives have problems, cause not more than 10 people at cemetery tomp is allowed,
    My goodness....
    All church bells were ringing a long time this evening.....the ceremonies on sunday are live streamed.

  4. #529
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    spruithean's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-08-12
    Posts
    381
    Points
    9,871
    Level
    29
    Points: 9,871, Level: 29
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Potentially even longer.

    We need a vaccine ASAP.
    Multiple countries are working toward a vaccine. Saskatchewan seemingly moved on to trials as soon as hockey was cancelled here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    They've skipped animal trials, and gone straight to brave people volunteering to be guinea pigs, and they say STILL 12 months to 18 months.

    Good grief. In between bouts of checking my internet feeds, I'm watching movies and tv serials.

    On Amazon Prime I'm watching Thous Shalt Not Kill, an Italian police procedural (English subtitles). The benefits and the drama of close family relationships.

    It's quite good, especially the acting. The lead is played by Miriam Leone, a former Miss Italy (totally de-glamorized). Usually beauty pageant types can't act; she can.
    The vaccine tested in Seattle is an mRNA vaccine and yeah it will be awhile yet until we really get any results for everything.

    In other news, I think we're going to have a delay in Ancient DNA papers since most universities are moving to online delivery and campuses are emptied out. Sigh. This is going to feel like forever.

  5. #530
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,678
    Points
    154,016
    Level
    100
    Points: 154,016, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    They've skipped animal trials, and gone straight to brave people volunteering to be guinea pigs, and they say STILL 12 months to 18 months.

    Good grief. In between bouts of checking my internet feeds, I'm watching movies and tv serials.

    On Amazon Prime I'm watching Thous Shalt Not Kill, an Italian police procedural (English subtitles). The benefits and the drama of close family relationships.

    It's quite good, especially the acting. The lead is played by Miriam Leone, a former Miss Italy (totally de-glamorized). Usually beauty pageant types can't act; she can.
    I started the series, Jamestown (I can't remember if it is on Netflix, Hulu, or Prime, at the moment) Thus far I am really liking it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    churches are closed for ceremonies here,
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    they are open for personal pray, max 20 min, and entrance is allowed according m2 (square meters)
    so a church of 100 m2 can accept only 9 people + 1 priest)
    the problem is funerals,
    people you know die, and you can't go to church, neither to cemetery,
    relatives have problems, cause not more than 10 people above cemetery tomp is allowed,


    I received an e-mail today, from the church I am a parishioner at. The Cardinal ordered the indefinite suspension of mass, due to the crisis.
    There can be no covenants between men and lions

  6. #531
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    1,259
    Points
    47,788
    Level
    67
    Points: 47,788, Level: 67
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    On the first business day after the authorities' recommendation regarding the new coronavirus, bathers in Rio were again in great number on the beaches this Monday (16).

    In the South Zone, Arpoador, Ipanema the beaches had non standard concentrations of bathers for a Monday.

    On Sunday, many Cariocas and tourists ignored the government's warning and made their mark on the city's beaches on the last weekend of the summer.

    Faced with the coronavirus pandemic, the orientation is for the population to avoid agglomerations.

    On Friday, Governor Wilson Witzel had said that the military police could block the beaches to prevent crowds. The Fire Department of Rio de Janeiro started at this Monday (16) a car tour with alerts to avoid agglomerations. On a loudspeaker installed in a car, a fireman repeated the following message:

    "The State Civil Defense asks the population to avoid crowds on the beaches. Please, for the safety of your neighbors, friends and family, come home," said the message.

    "The moment is for awareness. Do your part to help prevent and control the coronavirus. You always count on the firefighters. Can we count on you?", He amended.

    The car stopped at beaches like Recreio, in the West Zone, and Vermelha, in the South Zone. Praça Cardeal Arcoverde, one of the subway accesses to Copacabana Beach, was also a place to stop and do alerts to the population.

    Pics of bathers in the beaches of the City of Rio de Janeiro this Monday, 16.








    Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

  7. #532
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    23-02-15
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    890
    Points
    13,149
    Level
    34
    Points: 13,149, Level: 34
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

    Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic
    Country: Netherlands



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    churches are closed for ceremonies here,
    they are open for personal pray, max 20 min, and entrance is allowed according m2 (square meters)
    so a church of 100 m2 can accept only 9 people + 1 priest)
    the problem is funerals,
    people you know die, and you can't go to church, neither to cemetery,
    relatives have problems, cause not more than 10 people above cemetery tomp is allowed,
    The bells from Groningen for Greece!!!
    https://twitter.com/D_Janowitz/status/1240359255267586048?s=20

  8. #533
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Regio X's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-03-14
    Posts
    809
    Points
    17,067
    Level
    39
    Points: 17,067, Level: 39
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 99.2%


    Country: Italy




  9. #534
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,618
    Points
    44,173
    Level
    64
    Points: 44,173, Level: 64
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    I just open a thread, about coronavirus and global conspiracy

    plz I am worst than amateur in geneticks,
    read it and answer my wondering,


    https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...128#post599128

  10. #535
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,618
    Points
    44,173
    Level
    64
    Points: 44,173, Level: 64
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northener View Post
    The bells from Groningen for Greece!!!
    https://twitter.com/D_Janowitz/status/1240359255267586048?s=20
    Thanks Northener
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1240359255267586048

  11. #536
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    1,259
    Points
    47,788
    Level
    67
    Points: 47,788, Level: 67
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Spanish scientist says: They give to a footballer 1 million euros per month and to a bioscientist they give 1,800 euros per month. Now they look for the treatment for this virus, so look for Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi to find the cure!




    Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

  12. #537
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,532
    Points
    380,034
    Level
    100
    Points: 380,034, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    I knew it was coming:
    "Nineteen long-term care facilities in Florida have either a suspected or confirmed case of the coronavirus, including two confirmed cases in Duval and Broward counties."



  13. #538
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,618
    Points
    44,173
    Level
    64
    Points: 44,173, Level: 64
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    2 members found this post helpful.
    After CoronaVirus
    Comes CoronaSAURUS


    Last edited by Yetos; 19-03-20 at 20:31.

  14. #539
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsThree Friends

    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    2,176
    Points
    31,676
    Level
    54
    Points: 31,676, Level: 54
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 25.0%


    Country: Spain



    1 members found this post helpful.
    https://www.lainformacion.com/asunto...e=facebook.com

    Satellites capture how pollution has decreased with the arrival of the virus

    The video shows the changes in nitrogen dioxide emissions in Europe between January 1 and March 11, 2020.


  15. #540
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    3,686
    Points
    68,059
    Level
    81
    Points: 68,059, Level: 81
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,691
    Overall activity: 64.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    ... just taking some numbers at face value.

    It’s amazing how the Chinese are able to keep their latest Corona numbers so low.

    ... ... ...

  16. #541
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    3,686
    Points
    68,059
    Level
    81
    Points: 68,059, Level: 81
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,691
    Overall activity: 64.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    edit.

    I understand the why, it’s just that I’ve never been comfortable with State of Emergency declarations,
    I don’t care who’s in charge,
    Absolute Power, even temporarily, is a step away,
    things can get out of hand...
    Last edited by Salento; 19-03-20 at 12:59.

  17. #542
    Banned Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    10-05-19
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,261
    Points
    17,441
    Level
    40
    Points: 17,441, Level: 40
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 64.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1

    Ethnic group
    North Italian
    Country: Australia



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    https://www.lainformacion.com/asunto...e=facebook.com

    Satellites capture how pollution has decreased with the arrival of the virus

    The video shows the changes in nitrogen dioxide emissions in Europe between January 1 and March 11, 2020.

    dolphins and fish in venice

    https://www.dmarge.com/2020/03/venic...r-quality.html

  18. #543
    Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    1,857
    Points
    33,869
    Level
    56
    Points: 33,869, Level: 56
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 23.0%


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duarte View Post
    On the first business day after the authorities' recommendation regarding the new coronavirus, bathers in Rio were again in great number on the beaches this Monday (16).

    In the South Zone, Arpoador, Ipanema the beaches had non standard concentrations of bathers for a Monday.

    On Sunday, many Cariocas and tourists ignored the government's warning and made their mark on the city's beaches on the last weekend of the summer.

    Faced with the coronavirus pandemic, the orientation is for the population to avoid agglomerations.

    On Friday, Governor Wilson Witzel had said that the military police could block the beaches to prevent crowds. The Fire Department of Rio de Janeiro started at this Monday (16) a car tour with alerts to avoid agglomerations. On a loudspeaker installed in a car, a fireman repeated the following message:

    "The State Civil Defense asks the population to avoid crowds on the beaches. Please, for the safety of your neighbors, friends and family, come home," said the message.

    "The moment is for awareness. Do your part to help prevent and control the coronavirus. You always count on the firefighters. Can we count on you?", He amended.

    The car stopped at beaches like Recreio, in the West Zone, and Vermelha, in the South Zone. Praça Cardeal Arcoverde, one of the subway accesses to Copacabana Beach, was also a place to stop and do alerts to the population.

    Pics of bathers in the beaches of the City of Rio de Janeiro this Monday, 16.








    Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum
    I think that in most places where a strict discipline and obedience to authority, as well as some sort of collectivism are deeply rooted in the culture of the populace most individuals will only take the pandemics seriously when it's starting to get out of control. People have generally a real problem to understand what exponential growth is, and they also don't understand that you don't need millions of Covid-19 cases to cause a nearly total collapse of the already overtaxed healthcare system of the country (and remember people are also still getting sick from all other diseases and medical conditions too, it's just an extra burden). At first they think "hey, just 20 more cases since yesterday, no big deal". Later they will think "okay, 100 new cases today, but see, it's still a tiny bit compared to a population of hundreds of millions".

    I have been closely watching the numbers, and they are extremely worrisome in Brazil during these last days of summer (so much for the comments that "hey, summer is coming in the next months [in the Northern Hemisphere], so everything will be solved naturally until then, it's just a matter of time and waiting" - uh-huh, keep hoping for that). See:

    March 13th - 98
    March 14th - 121 (+24%)
    March 15th - 200 (+65%)
    March 16th - 234 (+17%)
    March 17th - 314 (+34%)
    March 18th - 529 (+65%)

    At the current rate, there will be more than 10,000 Covid-19 cases in less than 2 weeks. People will maybe take the orders of authorities more seriously when they start to see the numbers skyrocketing by hundreds per day.

    (And of course we all know there is severe under-reporting all over the country, just like elsewhere. The real numbers must be 3x or 4x worse, given that so many people are asymptomatic, have only mild symptoms or are just not tested and notified yet to the authorities even if they have more serious syptoms. Brazil's government already announced they won't be testing anyone who is not feeling seriously ill because they want to save the tests for potentially larger serious cases of Covid-19 in the future... so the real scenario is much worse than the official data indicate)

  19. #544
    Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    1,857
    Points
    33,869
    Level
    56
    Points: 33,869, Level: 56
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 23.0%


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by torzio View Post
    We should all take it as an indication that we can make the world's environment much better in just a few years if we really tried so and were willing to pay the price of some change in our lifestyle and work/production practices.

  20. #545
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,618
    Points
    44,173
    Level
    64
    Points: 44,173, Level: 64
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    That is because we do not a vaccin against Coronas yet,
    neither a helping treaty medicine
    something is said about chloraquine, but nothing official.

    Yet considering that even 27 out of 77 deaths had made the annual vaccin
    I think the numbers give odd vision
    same as in 2009, only this time towards Corona
    At 27FEB20 I wrote about chloraquine,
    It was a big rumor and discuss here in N Greece for days, from conspiraciologists, to doctors to pharmacists,

    Today here in Greece started the 'attack' on pharmacies,(apotheke pharmakeion)
    people just wait outside to buy Plaquenil with aggresive stance sometimes,
    The state councils of Doctors and Pharmacists from the morning make announce
    'STOP CHLORAQUINE, IT IS TOXIC AND DANGEROUS IF NOT USE CORRECT, AND UNDER SUPERVISION'

    By Greek state law chloraquine is forbiden to be sold by a pharmasist with out an electronical certified doctor's recipe, online connected with National health system,
    but in black market has a little bit high price sometimes.

  21. #546
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    3,686
    Points
    68,059
    Level
    81
    Points: 68,059, Level: 81
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,691
    Overall activity: 64.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Guns and ammo sales spike in U.S. on coronavirus worries

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/guns-am...irus-concerns/



    LOL

  22. #547
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    1,259
    Points
    47,788
    Level
    67
    Points: 47,788, Level: 67
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    Guns and ammo sales spike in U.S. on coronavirus worries

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/guns-am...irus-concerns/



    LOL
    Amid the coronavirus pandemic, US citizens stock up on weapons and ammunition.

    Larry Hyatt runs nearly 47 employees at the store his father founded six decades ago in Charlotte, North Carolina.


    At the age of 72, he says he never saw how sales of his establishment quadrupled in a short time, as it happened in the midst of a coronavirus pandemic.


    Since 1959, the Hyatt family has been selling weapons and ammunition. In addition to non-perishable food, water and toilet paper, US citizens begin to stock semi-automatic rifles and bulletproof vestson the grounds that they are preparing to live in an end of the world scenario. "We have had many reports from people concerned about the country in total quarantine. If that happens, they fear they will come and steal their homes," says Nick Groat, president of Safe Life Defense, one of the Hyatt officials.


    "Stocking up on bulletproof vests, weapons, ammunition and tactical equipment helps to defend their families, supplies and properties."


    With headquarters in Las Vegas and branches in 12 other American states, Safe Life Defense has seen a 44% increase in sales since March 11, when President Donald Trump enacted the national emergency. Groat explains that the demand has grown as a whole, but he highlights the the growths of demand for tactical belts and bulletproof vests, which are sold on the store's website in models from US$ 130 to US$ 1,700.


    The owner of the Hyatt Guns, in turn, declares that the products that the products that leader sales are automatic and semi-automatic weapons, such as the AR-15 rifle, often used by a first-time buyer.


    "I don't see any demand for a hunting weapon, it's self-defense. People who have a gun, but didn't have ammunition, come to buy ammunition. Those who don't have a gun come to buy one."



    People line up to buy weapons at the store in Culver, Calif., Amid the coronavirus pandemic - Mario Tama / Getty Images / AFP

  23. #548
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,532
    Points
    380,034
    Level
    100
    Points: 380,034, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duarte View Post
    Amid the coronavirus pandemic, US citizens stock up on weapons and ammunition.

    Larry Hyatt runs nearly 47 employees at the store his father founded six decades ago in Charlotte, North Carolina.


    At the age of 72, he says he never saw how sales of his establishment quadrupled in a short time, as it happened in the midst of a coronavirus pandemic.


    Since 1959, the Hyatt family has been selling weapons and ammunition. In addition to non-perishable food, water and toilet paper, US citizens begin to stock semi-automatic rifles and bulletproof vestson the grounds that they are preparing to live in an end of the world scenario. "We have had many reports from people concerned about the country in total quarantine. If that happens, they fear they will come and steal their homes," says Nick Groat, president of Safe Life Defense, one of the Hyatt officials.


    "Stocking up on bulletproof vests, weapons, ammunition and tactical equipment helps to defend their families, supplies and properties."


    With headquarters in Las Vegas and branches in 12 other American states, Safe Life Defense has seen a 44% increase in sales since March 11, when President Donald Trump enacted the national emergency. Groat explains that the demand has grown as a whole, but he highlights the the growths of demand for tactical belts and bulletproof vests, which are sold on the store's website in models from US$ 130 to US$ 1,700.


    The owner of the Hyatt Guns, in turn, declares that the products that the products that leader sales are automatic and semi-automatic weapons, such as the AR-15 rifle, often used by a first-time buyer.


    "I don't see any demand for a hunting weapon, it's self-defense. People who have a gun, but didn't have ammunition, come to buy ammunition. Those who don't have a gun come to buy one."



    People line up to buy weapons at the store in Culver, Calif., Amid the coronavirus pandemic - Mario Tama / Getty Images / AFP
    Anyone who has been trained in using one has a healthy respect for them; they're dangerous in the wrong hands.

    This is a very serious situation given that a lot of these people will be new to firearms and have no training. My father bought quite a bit of open land in his later years. He had to close it to hunting because all these "hunters" from New York City couldn't tell the difference between a dog and a deer. At least a couple a season would also wind up shooting themselves or their buddies.

    On the other hand, when you have asinine mayors of cities and other moronic state officials calling for prisoners to be released for "humanitarian" reasons, people get anxious. With the recent change in bail bond rules the only people left in our Rikers Island facility are murderers, rapists, burglars etc.

    Who in his right mind would want them released? Just imagine them running around if there are food shortages.

  24. #549
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,949
    Points
    749,819
    Level
    100
    Points: 749,819, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I checked how quickly the virus spread in each country (all the cases are neatly reported with timelines for each country on Wikipedia). It takes between 6 and 11 days for the number of cases to be multiplied by 10. A few examples:

    Iran : 6 days to pass from 90 to 900 cases, then 11 days to pass from 900 to 9000 cases
    Italy : 8 days to pass from 150 to 1500, and 11 days to pass from 1000 to 10000 cases.
    France : 8.5 days to pass from 100 to 1000 cases
    Spain : 8 days to pass from 120 to 1200 cases
    Germany : 9 days to pass from 110 to 1100 cases
    Switzerland : 7.5 days to pass from 40 to 400 cases
    Belgium : 6 days to pass from 23 to 230 cases
    Netherlands : 7.5 days to pass from 50 to 500 cases
    Sweden : 7 days to pass from 50 to 500 cases
    UK : 8.5 days to pass from 45 to 450 cases
    USA : 7 days to pass from 100 to 1000 cases

    As of today, there about 22,500 reported cases in Europe and 1000 in the USA. If the diffusion speed is sustained, there should be over 200,000 cases in Europe by 19 March, 2 million cases by 27 March and 20 million by 4 April. If we consider that only a fraction of cases get reported (only the minority with moderate to severe symptoms), it is reasonable to assume that most of the European population will have been infected by the end of April, although most people won't even notice it.

    The pandemic started later in the USA, so by the same calculation we would have 10,000 officially reported cases by 19 March, 100,000 by 27 March, 1 million by 4 April, 10 million by 11 April and 100 million by 19 April (although I very much doubt that the authorities are going to test millions of people considering the costs and how 90% of people only get mild symptoms). In any case, by the end of April I suspect that the virus will have spread around most of the population in Europe and North America.
    I was writing 8 days ago that by 19 March there should be 200,000 cases worldwide. We are now at 225,000 cases, so it is just as expected by my calculations (in fact it's exactly 10x the 22,500 cases 8 days ago).
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  25. #550
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    25-06-18
    Posts
    886
    Points
    11,029
    Level
    31
    Points: 11,029, Level: 31
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Overall activity: 57.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Thracian
    Country: Greece



    Around here the court system has pretty much shut down except for first appearances, bail hearings and pleas. Even those will be conducted via video link.

Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •