Health New Coronavirus in China

Indeed, the healthcare system should be prioritized for these particular cases.

I'm afraid it's not particular, how did they pronounce it in Game of Thrones....'winter is coming'.

I'm afraid it's not particular, how did they pronounce it in Game of Thrones....'winter is coming'.

Indeed, winter is coming, no matter what strategy we use:

Vw9Za0u.jpg

^^However, if people that are healthy, who have already been exposed, should go back to work. Moreover, their antibodies that they produce will be extremely important in research for a vaccine. People that are not vulnerable should go back to work, while avoiding people that are at risk.

Also:

[FONT=&quot]Those with mild COVID-19 infections may not be infectious after about 10 days of symptoms.

[/FONT]
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-sheds-early-in-disease.html

Indeed, winter is coming, no matter what strategy we use:

Vw9Za0u.jpg

IMO kind of irresponsible but I'm not going to argue with you, in my dialect there is a saying "wel 't dut mout t waiten" (criple translation: 'whoever does it will know it')

Just testing people for Covid 19 to isolate the positive cases and contact trace isn't something which could be done in a few weeks, because you'd have to test the whole country, and we don't yet have an adequate number of test kits or the capacity to process them.

In addition to that, somebody who tests negative today could test positive tomorrow.

I'm sure some people would say take it industry by industry, essential ones first. That's more feasible, but they could still contract the disease in the time between testing and even getting the results.

If the standard was going to be let those who are positive but don't seem ill go back to work, people who are still contagious could go back to work, spreading it to others. Would the authorities have to take the word of people testing positive who are saying they never got ill at all?

The antibody testing would take care of that to some extent. However, how long will it take to produce the tests and antibody test and process and get the results for everyone even in essential industries? It's certainly not a matter of a couple of weeks.

The caveat is that the paper I saw cautioned that the antibody level goes down after a while, and they don't know how long any immunity would last.

IF, and it's a big if, people were sent back to work in essential industries, they'd have to be wearing masks, as they do in East Asia, and they would need one for every 8 hours of use. Those masks should be available before you go sending people to work.

Meanwhile, while all this preparation is going on, the hospitals are going to be overwhelmed, and it's not just Coronavirus patients who are going to die, and not just the elderly. People with life threatening or chronic conditions are not going to hospitals for fear of exposure. Those deaths are usually not counted, but it's beginning to be done, and the results are worrying: the deaths from the same, say, week last March to this March is exponentially larger, much larger than the number of documented Coronavirus deaths.

As for indefinitely quarantining anyone over, say, 60?, who is going to take on that responsibility? How should that be done? Putting them in nursing homes is a recipe for disaster.

So it's clear, I don't have the answer. There are too many unknowns right now.

I'm all for getting the economy going again, but I don't see how it would be possible within a few weeks. Trump is being very irresponsible, imo, to call for that.

Time for some humor, this one is spreading here, it says: 'the hairdressers are closed' ;)

iwbs0vfwyw2je.00.37.png

They say that it is going very well to distract and forget the coronavirus to see chapters of the children's series of our childhood

heidiok.jpg

Governor Cuomo addresses this issue of when can people go back to work. Start at 24 mins in if you can't listen to the whole thing.

Governor Cuomo addresses this issue of when can people go back to work. Start at 24 mins in if you can't listen to the whole thing.

The refined strategy 24:00, 100% agree!!!:idea:

The same message we received here two days ago.

It is preparing people for what is coming so when they have to exercise great social repression there are not so many problems.

As a pandemic seemed to us like from another era, on this occasion you do not see it, you do not accept it or you almost believe it until you have it on you and you have to prepare the population so that they become mentalized.

Here the information of the most at risk groups is given but it is not pointed out as saying: You are going to be the one left out, I am still wrong but seeing it there on screen is a little scary.

... about the economy, President Trump translation :)

... We need to protect Salento’s money, and his wealth and health :giggle:

We need a balanced approach to limit the impacts of the pandemic crisis.

A long term complete shut down is economically untenable,

at some point (2 -3 weeks) we shall change strategy with tailored new guidelines,
and depending on location and situation, sector by sector must return to some kind of normalcy.

“we can walk and chew gum at the same time”

... after all we’re not Communists ! :grin:

This week or at most the next week I have to manage to make a will, it will take a good peak, but I am more concerned about those who want to disinherit.

Paul Romer, economist, in the New York Times...

"For decades, epidemiologists have warned us that we need to build a large national stockpile of such equipment to be ready when the next pandemic strikes. Because we failed to prepare, it will now take a massive surge in production to catch up.There is a desperate need for full protective equipment, but existing ones are cumbersome — complicated to put on and remove safely. As it boosts production of traditional equipment, the government should also fund a crash program to develop new and better types of protection.
When it becomes available, this protection should be given to essential workers: first those in health care, and then pharmacists, police officers, firefighters and those who maintain public utilities and the supply of food. It should then be offered to everyone.
As long as the risk of infection remains high, we need protective equipment that anyone who works in a grocery store, and anyone who shops there, will be comfortable wearing. Without waiting for the expanded system of tests to come online, we should set an ambitious goal — within two months, a return with protective equipment for 25 percent of all workers, and within four months, 75 percent of the work force."

That will get us more ventilators, masks and gloves for sure!

We're not cowards!

They hid the beginning of the Pandemic,

then we buried our heads in the sand out of necessity, and now we're burying our dead.

We've had Enough!

Now the Time has come to send a very clear message.

... and by the way, think how many lives could have been saved If they'd told us earlier what happened.

This virus is communist.

ATTENTION

Diseases that cause immunodeficiency: The list is huge.

I say this because in Spain the risk groups are announced as: Elderly, compromised immune system and traveling

I have seen that in New York they have pointed to the H.I.V.

Attention, danger, do something immediately to correct it.

It is totally false, the V.I.H. Being chronic nowadays they can have the same expectations as the rest of the population and it is not the same as having a damaged immune system.

Be careful and act immediately, they just put V.I.H. and not the 400,000 diseases that damage the immune system.

It is possible to reassure the population that they are before the old and the sidosos, but when those scapegoats are exhausted, the old will be the people of 50 years and the sidosos will be the diabetics to give an example, nothing will have been achieved equally .

50,000 died from the flu this year alone. In a way it is better that healthy people are exposed, and get over it. Older people, and those with health issues should remain isolated. But it is up to the rest of us to keep the country from going into another Great Depression.

I heard they will have a swab-test soon. Once testing becomes more accessible, I would like to see if I had it already. If so, I will do my part in donating blood, to help create a vaccine.

That can only be done safely - without the risk of causing a new and perhaps even bigger spike in the number of seriously ill and dead - when countries are able to test a reasonably high part of their population, identify the hotspots of infection (where isolation rules should be stricter), isolate the infected for at least 15 days, keep the people in groups under higher risk isolated for an even longer time, and so on. I don't think the USA or, for that matter, Brazil can do that yet without running into huge risks of public health (and a huge crisis in public health will inevitably become an economic crisis, too).

Bipartisan resolution condemns China's handling of coronavirus outbreak

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...demns-chinas-handling-of-coronavirus-outbreak

That worries me. IMO the corona crisis will fuel the tensions in the US that are already there. The current frame of POTUS: it's a 'foreign' or 'Chinese' virus.

As an outlet of this intensified tensions/ crisis there could be a deepened conflict with between the US and China. So as a kind of 'lightning conductor'.

On a small scale we saw this in 1982 in the Falkland war between Argentina and the UK. At that time Margareth Thatcher had very bad polls. The Falkland war made here to the iron lady.....

But an US-Chinese conflict is another cup of tea.

This thread has been viewed 692749 times.

Back