Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    Anemia Mediterranea ?

A lot of people have it in my town in Italy.

They test everyone for it, and before couples get married too.
    (I guess is not needed for some new Couples anymore) lol

Ironic, I’m negative for it ... and I thought I was so lucky :)
    "The gene for beta thalassemia is not evenly distributed among peoples. It is, for example, relatively more frequent in people of Italian and Greek origin, both of which are peoples from the Mediterranean. Because of this, thalassemia major has been called Mediterranean anemia.The name thalassemia was coined at the University of Rochester in upstate New York by the Nobel Prize-winning pathologist George Whipple and the professor of pediatrics William Bradford from the Greek thalassa for sea and -emia, meaning the blood. Thalassemia means "sea in the blood." But for the Greeks, the sea was the Mediterranean, so thalassemia also conveys the idea of the Mediterranean in the blood.
    The reason that the gene for beta thalassemia is relatively common, for example, among people of Italian and Greek origin is that parts of Italy and Greece were once full of malaria. The presence of thalassemia minor (like sickle cell trait in Africa) afforded protection against malaria, and therefore, this gene thrived."

As far as Northern Italy is concerned, I would doubt it's common in mountain areas, but that's a guess. I'd have to do detailed research. Certainly, though, I think it was endemic around the Po plain.
    With all the intermarriage that has gone on in larger towns, it may not be at high levels even there anymore.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Lessons from the Spanish Flu: Those areas which imposed the most strict social distancing controls rebounded economically the fastest.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...or-the-economy

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

"Japan Postal service is suspending international service to many countries as of 2nd April 2020. Been here 33 years and nothing like this has ever happened…. Take note and plan accordingly."

That means no incoming mail or packages from abroad? Are they totally self-sufficient or plan to be? If the rest of the world were to follow suit, I guess that would mean don't buy those defective masks and testing kits from China.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Quote Originally Posted by johen View Post
    are these confirmed new daily cases?
    it peaked 21 march in Italy
    Spain is lagging 5-7 days

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Another hypothesis being proposed is that the mild flu season in Italy this year, with fewer deaths among the elderly, left Italy with a bigger pool of susceptible elderly people.

I'm not sure what to think about this, especially given that I've seen stats from Mayors in the North showing a huge spike in deaths overall from the same weeks last year. I doubt that can all be explained by this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-31/italy-s-mild-flu-season-may-solve-mystery-of-coronavirus-deaths

My own personal hunch, and that's all it is, is that in Lombardia this is a "skiing" event originally. The skiers were exposed and went home, and, given the level of interaction among family members in Italy, exposed their elderly parents or grandparents. The Atalanta/Valencia match did the rest.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Peak transmission in Spain: data from the epidemiological curve
    https://as.com/diarioas/2020/04/01/a...24_554074.html

Actualizado a: 01/04/2020 13:03

The Autonomous Community most affected is Madrid, where there are more infections (29,840 this Wednesday) and more deaths (3,865), and is followed by Catalonia (19,981 and 1,849) and the Basque Country (6,838 and 369). Castilla-La Mancha (7,047 and 774), Castilla y León (6,847 and 585) and Andalucia (6,392 and 308) lag behind all of these but add cases at a similar speed.

At the beginning of the first days of confinement, it was fatal for some regions such as Extremadura, Murcia or Andalusia, the displacement of Madrid residents with a second residence in these regions. At first there was no real scope of the situation and many thought 15 days because they did not spend divinely in their second residence without knowing that they were spreading the pandemic to other territories.

Even yesterday, the residents of a town in Almería denounced a couple who moved from Madrid to a house that her mother has in Almería. The urbanization cameras confirmed that they had skipped the confinement and will be expelled from the town.

This video explains all this mess of curves, one curve is not the same as the other, I think it is clear.
    The video is in Spanish but it is an international language.

He anticipates that confinement will continue through April 20. The daily contagion curve will be the one that best indicates when we are close to controlling the pandemic.

Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 99.2%

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    Anemia Mediterranea ?

A lot of people have it in my town in Italy.

They test everyone for it, and before couples get married too.
    (I guess is not needed for some new Couples anymore) lol

Ironic, I’m negative for it ... and I thought I was so lucky :)
    I think you're lucky. Protection against malaria would be the only positive aspect, afaik, and "perhaps" against Covid-19 as well (so far it's just an hypothesis).

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Yes, Regio, I saw it in the Italian press too.

I'm surprised he says malaria is still present there, although I know it used to be in the areas around the Po, but it's certainly possible that people with long ancestry there might have higher levels of thalassemia.

Whether, if they carry it in higher numbers, it's protective, I don't know.

Interestingly enough, people who have malaria are given quinine, and hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) is being tested because it seems to help some patients who have severe Covid 19. I hope they hurry up with the tests. People with autoimmune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis have been taking it for decades, and the only worrying side effect at "very" high doses is vision changes, so people are checked periodically.

The question of varying genetic susceptibility to Covid 19 is something I've been thinking about too. The common cold is a coronavirus too, after all, and some people are much more susceptible.

I was actually going to post this article.

"Yosuke Tanigawa and Manuel Rivas of Stanford University, who have also been involved in the Host Genetics Initiative, studied data from UK Biobank to look at leucocyte antigens and blood types to understand the role of genetics in Covid-19 infections. Their work, which has not been peer-reviewed, was published on preprints.org on March 24."

"Drawing on studies that found an association between more severe Covid-19 cases and individuals with lower lymphocyte – or white blood cell – counts, the two said that lymphocyte count “may play a role in susceptibility to viral infection and disease progression”.

Their study also found “significant and consistent risk reduction” for the coronavirus from people with type O blood, lending support to an earlier study by Chinese researchers
    that found patients with type A blood had higher rate of infection and tended to have more severe Covid-19 symptoms, while those with type O blood had a lower risk of serious infection."
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...tible-covid-19

I read that rs2975033(A) for HLA-A*02:01 could perhaps affect how sick people get from Covid-19. If it's true, and apparently it's still just an hypothesis, the allele "A" would be the key here.

I wonder if I got infected already and was cured. If it's not true, than what I had was just a mild cold, coincidently. But I do fit in some groups of risk. I'm not old, but I'm not young (I reached the first half of 40s already), man, A+ (just one bro is O+, whereas the others are A+, as my parents), my hemoglobin levels used to be close to the upper limit (so nothing close to a thalassemia), I'm rs2975033(G;G) - or rs2975033(C;C) -, so not a single A (or T)... Well, at least I've never smoked, and I don't suffer from any disease. Still... I hope I don't have a foot in the grave. :)

Three Friends25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Overall activity: 99.3%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian

3 members found this post helpful.
    Corona virus COVID-19 genetic susceptibility report - I don't know what this means, but who have interst, see in yourDNAportal:

Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 58.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    "The gene for beta thalassemia is not evenly distributed among peoples. It is, for example, relatively more frequent in people of Italian and Greek origin, both of which are peoples from the Mediterranean. Because of this, thalassemia major has been called Mediterranean anemia.The name thalassemia was coined at the University of Rochester in upstate New York by the Nobel Prize-winning pathologist George Whipple and the professor of pediatrics William Bradford from the Greek thalassa for sea and -emia, meaning the blood. Thalassemia means "sea in the blood." But for the Greeks, the sea was the Mediterranean, so thalassemia also conveys the idea of the Mediterranean in the blood.
    The reason that the gene for beta thalassemia is relatively common, for example, among people of Italian and Greek origin is that parts of Italy and Greece were once full of malaria. The presence of thalassemia minor (like sickle cell trait in Africa) afforded protection against malaria, and therefore, this gene thrived."

As far as Northern Italy is concerned, I would doubt it's common in mountain areas, but that's a guess. I'd have to do detailed research. Certainly, though, I think it was endemic around the Po plain.
    With all the intermarriage that has gone on in larger towns, it may not be at high levels even there anymore.
    I checked on the “Genomapp“ app.

The old Italian test was correct.

Happy Face means all OK.

... and I won’t pass it down the line.

The associated hypothetical protection from Covid-19 doesn’t apply to me.

Last edited by Salento; 02-04-20 at 00:00. Reason: Img

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Regio X View Post
    I think you're lucky. Protection against malaria would be the only positive aspect, afaik, and "perhaps" against Covid-19 as well (so far it's just an hypothesis).

I read that rs2975033(A) for HLA-A*02:01 could perhaps affect how sick people get from Covid-19. If it's true, and apparently it's still just an hypothesis, the allele "A" would be the key here.

I wonder if I got infected already and was cured. If it's not true, than what I had was just a mild cold, coincidently. But I do fit in some groups of risk. I'm not old, but I'm not young (I reached the first half of 40s already), man, A+ (just one bro is O+, whereas the others are A+, as my parents), my hemoglobin levels used to be close to the upper limit (so nothing close to a thalassemia), I'm rs2975033(G;G) - or rs2975033(C;C) -, so not a single A (or T)... Well, at least I've never smoked, and I don't suffer from any disease. Still... I hope I don't have a foot in the grave. :)
    I think you can wait until you see 60 on the horizon. :)

Awards:
    Community Award
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

thanks @Duarte :)

... My powerful genes vs Covid-19

I see Apollo Creed vs Ivan Drago (Rocky IV)
    ... and just like Apollo, I don’t speak Russian

Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 863
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Strange things happen in my countryside.

Let's not forget, however, that the entire Ferrara province has a very troubled millennial history in terms of reclaiming the marshes and consequent anthropization, except for some more prosperous and objectively advanced periods (under the Etruscans, the Romans, the abbots of Pomposa and the last Estensi dukes). In modern times the construction of new canals and the interventions on some ancient Po riverbeds paradoxically worsened the situation making the eastern area of ​​the province one of the most unhealthy areas until a few decades ago. So the absolute total number of inhabitants and the population density are still so scarce that they make it really difficult to spread an infection. The center of Jolanda di Savoia, founded in the early twentieth century and located halfway between Ferrara and the sea, is still called by the old villagers "il Vnezì" (the "Venezie"), so much so were those places immensely desolate and swampy.

http://www.naturalistiferraresi.org/...-Ferrarese.pdf

(Ditto for the near Polesine...)

All this must certainly have involved bottlenecks on the local population and thalassemia is a protective factor where there is malaria, so those who were affected had a greater evolutionary advantage: for its cause many people suffered and died from millennia and centuries, but much more has survived inheriting it as healthy carriers (like two of my grandparents).
    Perhaps thalassemia is only one of the contributing factors of this presumed immunity, perhaps it will be necessary to sift the entire Ferrarese genome well. As you have already pointed out I think that the theory of the partial "Greekness" of Ferrara and its surroundings (including also the nearby Polesine, Rovigo but also a little Ravenna), which is also associated with the mutation that leads to Cooley's disease, are an important suspect.
    This is an old scan, found on the Web, recovered from Cavalli-Sforza's studies on the genetic variability of the Italians, who identified a component that differentiates the local populations from the rest just behind the Po Delta, due - according to the scholar - to presences Greek, both very ancient (Spina, Adria) and more recent (Byzantine). As it turned out, the Chinese disease may indeed have encountered different human material here.

For superstitiousness, I don't add anything else, but it's obvious that - for personal reasons - I'm a bit cheering for this theory: it allows me to sleep more calmly in times of Covid-19...

Elite member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 15.0%

County in china locks down amid concerns of potential second coronavirus wave

A county in central China has reportedly gone into a mid-sized lockdown amid fears of a second coronavirus wave as Beijing is trying to emerge from the deadly outbreak and revive its economy.
    Roughly 600,000 residents near the city of Pingdingshan in Jia County were told to stay home as curfew measures went into effect Tuesday. The county is located in the Henan province, some 500 miles south of Beijing and just north of the Hubei province where the pandemic originated in December 2019.
    A notice on the county microblog account said special permits are needed to leave home and residents must have their temperature taken and are required to wear face masks, the South China Morning Post reported.
    In addition, only people with special permits can travel to work and cars are allowed to be driven on alternate days, defined by the license plate number.
    “It’s better not to come to Jia county now,” an unnamed official with the county’s transport office told the newspaper. “Nobody can enter or leave.”

OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

they are firing meds and nurses if complain

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...t-ventilators/
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

Advisor Achievements:
    Level

Denmark went in lockdown on 13 march.
    They plan on easing measures after eastern.

https://businessam.be/denemarken-pla...7O1jwolbxT94Qc

Advisor Achievements:
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    they are firing meds and nurses if complain

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...t-ventilators/
    you'd expect this only in China ..

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    you'd expect this only in China ..
    and now the masks war,

Advisor Achievements:
    Level

and now the masks war,

there is no regular market any more, it's an auction
    and then, Trump claims he'll help Italy and France with ventilators et al ..

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Neurologists say a small subset of patients w/ Covid-19 develop serious impairments of the brain. “This may indicate the virus can invade the brain directly in rare circumstances.”
    The patients experience strokes, seizures, and, in one case, encephalitis.
    Some Chinese doctors have reported this as well.
    Do other coronavirus viruses cause this?

A small piece of good news: open source plans for easier and cheaper to make ventilators.

An hour ago, a team of 40+ medical experts & engineers from Israel released the #opensource blueprints for
    @AmboVent
    - a low-cost, medically tested #COVIDー19 ventilator device, made from off-the-shelf components, to answer worldwide #Coronavirus shortages

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

there is no regular market any more, it's an auction
    and then, Trump claims he'll help Italy and France with ventilators et al ..
    the most amazing is that
    Honeywell admit a part of their masks are made in China,
    but 3M, does not, their big factory in Sangai produce only for China !!!!! only for Chinese exportations

we are living the madness,

Notice, there is no Made in, at 3M N95 <=> KN95 masks, neither at masks, neither at package

Advisor Achievements:
    Level

the most amazing is that
    Honeywell admit a part of their masks are made in China,
    but 3M, does not, their big factory in Sangai produce only for China !!!!!

we are living the madness,

where ever they are produced, todays demand is more than a 10-fold of normal
    production capacity is not enough today, be it domestic or Chinese

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

where ever they are produced, todays demand is more than a 10-fold of normal
    production capacity is not enough today, be it domestic or Chinese
    chinese export

2 days ago we received 1.7 million masks at Greece,

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

chinese export

2 days ago we received 1.7 million masks at Greece,

Wasn't worth the 52 deaths, though. Also, made in China.
    There can be no covenants between men and lions

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Wasn't worth the 52 deaths, though. Also, made in China.
    yup,
    but I am not speaking about curse or bless China.
    I am speaking the madness we live,

Awards:
    Community Award
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

... It has become a battle for the survival of Humanity ... good luck to all of us.
    Last edited by Salento; 02-04-20 at 18:01.

Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast