Health New Coronavirus in China

I don't think anyone knows the real number of so called "seropositive" cases yet, because in every study I've seen from here in the U.S. the tested samples are skewed or biased to people who were in contact with Covid patients, or had some sort of symptoms. I also don't think anyone even really knows what that means as to whether you are really then immune.

Nor do I think we know the real death toll if it could be causing death through strokes, heart attacks, renal failure etc., all with no known respiratory symptoms. That's why I think, as I've said, that a comparison to the number of deaths one year ago is informative.

What I do know is that if the graphic above is correct which shows that even if 81% are symptom free or have mild symptoms, but 14% have severe symptoms requiring oxygen support, and 5% become critically ill, then no health system in the world could handle it. The numbers if, say, 40% of the population were infected in a three or four month period are staggering. It would also have a ripple effect because people with other diseases would also not be receiving the proper care.

In hindsight, I think the right thing to do would have been to utilize the Defense Production Act to marshal the resources necessary to accommodate our need of medical supplies. Also to produce an adequate amount of tests to get a real snapshot of the trajectory of the virus. But at the same time, try keep the economy going as much as possible. Every day we are in lock-down the harder it will be to come back from this damage.

OK this is totally counterintuitive and it comes from France so...but it seems that nicotine protects against the coronavirus. Maybe it explains how well the Greeks have done :grin:!!

Frontline health workers and patients in France may be given nicotine patches after studies found that four times fewer smokers contracted Covid-19 than non-smokers.
It may sound counterintuitive that people who puff on Gauloises are less likely to catch a virus that can cause deadly attacks on the lungs. However, that was the statistical outcome of an in-depth study conducted by the Pasteur Institute, a leading French research centre into the disease.
The institute tested almost 700 teachers and pupils of a school in Crépy-en-Valois in one of the hardest-hit areas in France, as well as their families. The “highly accurate” tests found that only 7.2 per cent of smokers from among the adults tested were infected while four times as many non-smokers, some 28 per cent, were infected.
Arnaud Fontanet, an epidemiologist at the institute, warned that they were not encouraging people to take up smoking, remarking that those smokers who do catch the virus “risk suffering more complications” than others. Scientists suggested it could be the nicotine in cigarettes that was behind the surprising results regarding infection, although more research is needed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/smokers-four-times-less-likely-151203823.html

First nicotine and the next one I heard was 'an injection of disinfect' ....:06: #smartsolutions

First nicotine and the next one I heard was 'an injection of disinfect' ....:06: #smartsolutions

The shit that comes out of that man's mouth:useless:!

^^This is what comes of not reading papers, or maybe not even knowing the difference between scientific papers and internet garbage including the idiotic stream of consciousness coming out of Trump's mouth.

What he says you can ignore. Almost all of the time he follows the advice of his task force. In one case he was even right when they were wrong; i.e. closing down flights from China. They were still following the WHO.

See the following for a better way of factoring in density:
https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/02/theres-a-better-way-to-measure-population-density/552815/

J5pjRA5.png

^^This is what comes of not reading papers, or maybe not even knowing the difference between scientific papers and internet garbage.

BTW I was not accusing Northerner of anything. I was agreeing with him with respect to the injecting disinfectant which our esteemed president proposed.

^^This is what comes of not reading papers, or maybe not even knowing the difference between scientific papers and internet garbage.

Indeed. But powered by the White House.... Let's hope sanity prevails.....

BTW I was not accusing Northerner of anything. I was agreeing with him with respect to the injecting disinfectant which our esteemed president proposed.

You were not; I am. There's a huge difference between a paper published by an eminent institute and Trump's ramblings on the science, which everyone should know to ignore.

It was another attempt, imo, to take a cheap shot, and could have misinformed people about whether there is indeed a trial underway about nicotine.

We don't need that kind of obnoxious crap ever, but especially not now.

See my edited post.

Blame CNN , then BBC to name 2 ( there are many ) ......once a media organization starts to print or state fact based on what anyone says on twitter or facebook, then it is a sure sign they have lazy , useless journalists and not worth believing or discussing

And the hits keep on a coming...

Researchers at University Hospital Regensburg (@presse_ukr) have treated 26 severe cases of #COVID19 with convalescent plasma. Unfortunately, no significant improvement observed so far.It's just a short status update via press release, no publication yet.https://ukr.de/service/aktuelles/06320.php

You were not; I am. There's a huge difference between a paper published by an eminent institute and Trump's ramblings on the science, which everyone should know to ignore.

It was another attempt, imo, to take a cheap shot, and could have misinformed people about whether there is indeed a trial underway about nicotine.

We don't need that kind of obnoxious crap ever, but especially not now.

See my edited post.

The nicotine thing was studied/espoused/proposed by the Pasteur Institute.

The nicotine thing was studied/espoused/proposed by the Pasteur Institute.

Correct that's indeed the big difference (nevertheless I saw already a headline do cigarettes prevent corona...pfffff)

One time Trump's ramblings might have a grain of truth...even a stopped watch is right twice a day. :)

ZiDRyuo.png

It always made sense. Otherwise, why isn't it decimating India and Southeast Asia? Some will still get it, of course, especially if they have air-conditioning, but the percentages will be different.

I'm almost tempted to move to Florida full time, but living there in the summer months without airconditioning would be impossible for me.

Maybe new kinds of filters will be developed, and a buzzer would go off to let you know it's time to change it.

This is a great start up business for someone. Maybe someone who had restaurants. I don't think they're going to be very profitable anytime soon, especially in places like Florida with lots of people over 60 who didn't cook very much anymore.

BTW, I had a rather loud argument with a ER doctor friend of mine about hydroxychloroquine. He has been taking it prophylactically while working in the front lines of the disease. I tried explaining to him that he should not be taking an immunosuppressant without checking his cytokines since that leaves him open to the ravages of the virus. He did not want to listen. I guess even doctors are desperate for anything that anecdotally worked for people.

One time Trump's ramblings might have a grain of truth...even a stopped watch is right twice a day. :)

ZiDRyuo.png

It always made sense. Otherwise, why isn't it decimating India and Southeast Asia? Some will still get it, of course, especially if they have air-conditioning, but the percentages will be different.

I'm almost tempted to move to Florida full time, but living there in the summer months without airconditioning would be impossible for me.

Maybe new kinds of filters will be developed, and a buzzer would go off to let you know it's time to change it.

This is a great start up business for someone. Maybe someone who had restaurants. I don't think they're going to be very profitable anytime soon, especially in places like Florida with lots of people over 60 who didn't cook very much anymore.

You should move down to Florida. You can set the thermostat high enough so the air-conditioning does not come on too often. Just enough to ward off mold and mildew.
In that table the temperature was set between 70-75F which means air-conditioning.

BTW, I had a rather loud argument with a ER doctor friend of mine about hydroxychloroquine. He has been taking it prophylactically while working in the front lines of the disease. I tried explaining to him that he should not be taking an immunosuppressant without checking his cytokines since that leaves him open to the ravages of the virus. He did not want to listen. I guess even doctors are desperate for anything that anecdotally worked for people.

The tests coming out are saying it actually makes the death rate higher. I posted it above somewhere. Maybe it does help prophylactically or at certain points in the cycle?

I was always a bit skeptical. It's used for lupus and autoimmune arthritis and psoriasis, to "lower" the immune system. On the other hand, I know that people have taken it for years with absolutely no ill effects so long as the doses aren't too high (there's possible vision damage so you have to be tested every six months). Sometimes it even makes them more resistant to flus, colds, etc., because it somehow "straightens" out the immune system.

The original drugs they uses were the biologics like Humira, but those are prohibitively expensive, so they went to plaquenil. I have no idea what things like Humira would do. The S.O.B.s that make it were supposed to have released their patent years ago but have been delaying everything through a court case. It's 1000/mo. If it did help with Covid one benefit would be to put an end to that crap.

This thread has been viewed 695729 times.

Back