Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 80 of 89 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 2218

Thread: New Coronavirus in China

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Dagne View Post
    I think, lesser death rate might be also due to more widespread testing.
    I think that's true. Way back in March, there were some studies positing a less than one percent fatality rate per infection. Maybe they were correct, or maybe it's just mutated to become less lethal.

The Chinese seem to have almost totally eradicated it, but no western style democracy is going to adopt those methods. Taiwan was able to do it because it's an island and could totally shut itself off in terms of human contact because of early warning plans based on close monitoring of affairs.

The less restrictive but supposedly wonderful systems set up in Germany, with lots of testing and lots of contact tracing, seem to have failed even though their family interactions are less frequent.

So, is the choice are we going to totally shut down our economies and go into a world wide depression, or are we going to mitigate the situation as much as we can by using masks and socially distancing to the extent possible so as not to overwhelm hospitals but remain open until or if a vaccine is available, and just take the hit.

There's really no acceptable choice; I'm glad I don't have to decide.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

It is my opinion that no matter who gets elected we will not have a nationwide shutdown. Local authorities might but even then nothing like the March/June shutdown.

I know that in Thessaloniki Greece, the number of cases had gotten down to ten. Then the college students got back to town and started socializing in cafes and clubs. Cafes are now mostly indoors since it's getting cold and rainy. There were 2056 cases on Oct 30th.
    Last edited by bigsnake49; 02-11-20 at 22:58.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    It is my opinion that no matter who gets elected we will not have a nationwide shutdown. Local authorities might but even then nothing like the March/June shutdown.

I know that in Thessaloniki Greece, the number of cases had gotten down to ten. The the college students got back to town and started socializing in cafes and clubs. Cafes are now mostly indoors since it's getting cold and rainy. There were 2056 cases on Oct 30th.
    by the waste water treatment, calculation of virus 'load'
    Athens has more than 40 000 now and Thessaloniki has over 30 000.
    Thessaloniki tomorrow pass to all day lock down, my daughter and my niece studying there are almost in panic,
    at Pieria, only a wedding fiesta and ceremony was enough, from 500 guests got 24 positive and now who knows how many.
    Greece for now shows extreme numbers of asymptomatic, as can be found by the wastewaters treatment.
    Truth is that lockdown has to do with ability of hospitals to serve and cure the heavy cases of covid,
    they are to the limit, and the main fear is not to reach the situation that N Italy passed at the begin of pandemia, (health system to limit/collapse)
    Everybody hopes for the vaccine here,
    Thessaloniki had at 12 OCT few confirmed cases (0-10) and at 21 OCT had over 500 confirmed.

https://www.tovima.gr/2020/10/29/soc...-se-15-imeres/

ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H11a10
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

Ethnic group
    a true mutt

Here's the update for positives in my family. My Father-in-law and mother were both at the same nursing home. Positive tests are retested after 3 months because the virus shows as positive even while shedding.

86 yo father-in-law. Positive. No symptoms. Now cleared.
    87 yo mother. Positive. No symptoms. Now cleared. Released after physical therapy.
    84 yo aunt. Positive. On ventilator for 4 weeks. Hospitalized for 16 weeks. Now cleared.

Ethnic group
    Italian

I'm starting to wonder if the kind of "total lockdowns" they did in certain parts of Europe made it worse. You keep people enclosed inside together. They give it to each other, the national or regional numbers go down, you loosen restrictions, and they go out and give it to other people, some of whom will have bad outcomes based on a host of factors.

Maybe it's a case of, you don't believe anything coming out of China, at the first hint of a new virus there you close down all international travel (which the WHO said not to do), you mask everyone (which the WHO said not to do), you contact trace the hell out of every single case with the national police force doing it, not hospitals.

If you did that really early, you're in good shape. If you didn't, which none of the western democracies did, it's too late and all that's left is mitigation.

See:
    https://twitter.com/zakkohane/status...809856/photo/1

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if the kind of "total lockdowns" they did in certain parts of Europe made it worse. You keep people enclosed inside together. They give it to each other, the national or regional numbers go down, you loosen restrictions, and they go out and give it to other people, some of whom will have bad outcomes based on a host of factors.

Maybe it's a case of, you don't believe anything coming out of China, at the first hint of a new virus there you close down all international travel (which the WHO said not to do), you mask everyone (which the WHO said not to do), you contact trace the hell out of every single case with the national police force doing it, not hospitals.

If you did that really early, you're in good shape. If you didn't, which none of the western democracies did, it's too late and all that's left is mitigation.

See:
    https://twitter.com/zakkohane/status...809856/photo/1
    I agree with you but we got caught with our pants down in the US, we had absolutely no PPE stock and definitely no stocks of ventilators. The lockdown was necessary to avoid overwhelming the health care system. If we had actually closed the borders to China or ravelers that originated in China or had been to China or Italy or Spain and isolated others that came from Europe, mandated masks (after of course securing masks), isolating older people, banned large gatherings then we would have had a lot more of success. In the US we usually do not have multi-generational cohabitation so it would have been relatively easier to isolate the old and the young.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

Gush

71 years old woman was Asymptomatic, transmited virus for 70 days,
    and she Suffers from Leukemia !!!!! WHAT ELSE ????

Case study details leukemia patient who shed infectious SARS-CoV-2 for at least 70 days

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-csd110420.php

In summary, an association between ABO/Rh and SARS‐CoV‐2 positivity was confirmed but greatly attenuated after factoring in race/ethnicity. Future studies to evaluate the influence of race/ethnicity on COVID‐19 risk and clinical course are necessary for comprehensive assessment of the impact of blood group/Rh type on infection and disease.
    https://www.rhesusnegative.net/stayn...female-cohort/

Access the PDF file:
    https://www.rhesusnegative.net/stayn.../ajh.26019.pdf

If you search this forum for "blood type", "rhesus negative" or "rh negative", you will probably see my posts.

Ethnic group
    Italian

There are superspreaders.

There are differences in susceptibility based on race.

The first will be accepted; the second won't.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Significantly decreased mortality through transfusions with convalescent plasma.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33157066/

Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    The Pfizer vaccine is more than 90% effective. It looks like the end of this Pandemic is in sight.:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covid-vaccine-pfizer-drug-is-more-than-90percent-effective-in-preventing-infection.html

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    The Pfizer vaccine is more than 90% effective. It looks like the end of this Pandemic is in sight.:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covid-vaccine-pfizer-drug-is-more-than-90percent-effective-in-preventing-infection.html
    Want to bet that now that Biden will be president the media will quit fanning the rumors that it's dangerous to take it? :)

Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Want to bet that now that Biden will be president the media will quit fanning the rumors that it's dangerous to take it? :)
    I'd bet it is exactly how it will play out.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U7a4

Ethnic group
    Iranian

Great news ! I guess herd immunity through this vaccine will take a few months in the US and in Europe little longer, maybe til summer 2021.
    By the way, BioNTech is a german company founded by children of turkish immigrants, Ugur Sahin and Özlem Türeci :)

I bet most anti vaxxers voted for Trump tbh.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by ihype02 View Post
    I bet most anti vaxxers voted for Trump tbh.
    Oh, so the representatives of all those black organizations featured on CNN and MSNBC saying they didn't trust any vaccine developed under Trump were just fooling around?

All I know is that the suburban moms who surrounded me had to have their arms twisted to get regular vaccines for their children and some didn't do it until they realized they'd have to home school their kids if they didn't get it done. Have to say, the emergence of some of those "childhood" diseases has scared them good and proper..

They buy all the nonsense about how it causes autism etc.

They're also as liberal as they come.

For whatever reason, no matter how traditionally "female" my private life has been, I think like the men I know, not the women.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

Oh, so the representatives of all those black organizations featured on CNN and MSNBC saying they didn't trust any vaccine developed under Trump were just fooling around?

All I know is that the suburban moms who surrounded me had to have their arms twisted to get regular vaccines for their children and some didn't do it until they realized they'd have to home school their kids if they didn't get it done. Have to say, the emergence of some of those "childhood" diseases has scared them good and proper..

They buy all the nonsense about how it causes autism etc.

They're also as liberal as they come.

For whatever reason, no matter how traditionally "female" my private life has been, I think like the men I know, not the women.
    The antivaxxers I know are all soccer moms and in this county they vote republican as we are a staunchly republican county.

You don't actually watch any of CNN, MSNBC or Fox News, do you? That is the industry of manufactured outrage. The more out there the opinion the best, the more controversial the better. If your opinion of republicans or democrats is formed by the news channel then you need to quit watching. My wife was supposed to be on a news show, I don't remember which one and they gave her a talking point to support which ran completely opposite of what she wanted to say. Soooo they dropped her. It's like reality series except with news.

Trump always uses sneaky passive agressive racist words. So instead of saying "illegal immigrations has increased crime" he said "they're rapists", it is no brainer he has issues with hispanics and black people. And most conservatives complain about their lack of freedom of speech due to politcal correctness. One can easily comprehend that Trump says more than that behind the cameras.

Is it moral to call an entire nation of people rapists?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by ihype02 View Post
    Trump always uses sneaky passive agressive racist words. So instead of saying "illegal immigrations has increased crime" he said "they're rapists", it is no brainer he has issues with hispanics and black people. And most conservatives complain about their lack of freedom of speech due to politcal correctness. One can easily comprehend that Trump says more than that behind the cameras.

Is it moral to call an entire nation of people rapists?

... he was talking about foreign criminals illegally crossing the US borders and the Coyotes, ...

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

... most antivaxxers are Libertarians, ... not to be confused with the Republicans, or the Democrats.

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Perhaps people have forgotten that President elect Biden said he would have doubts about any vaccine produced during the Trump administration, and Kamala Harris said she wouldn't take it?

What amazes me is how certain facts just get buried.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

... the Town offered free drive-thru testing to all Residents at the main Fire Station, ... and now ... waiting game

More and more focus on associations with blood types, ABO and Rh factor. Now non-secretor status comes into play
    remarkably the nonsecretor phenotype was associated with lower in‐hospital mortality
    https://www.rhesusnegative.net/stayn...id%e2%80%9019/

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    ... the Town offered free drive-thru testing to all Residents at the main Fire Station, ... and now ... waiting game

... negative 🙏 :)

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

Question of an ignorant like me,

concerning the numbers of spring and today, and the theory 'immune of the pack'
    if there is no immune of the pack, and antibodies weaken by time, as many researches show.
    the vaccine would be permanent? or every year we will make a new one?

Page 80 of 89 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast