Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 83 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2135

Thread: New Coronavirus in China

Ethnic group
    Italian

This is how the Democratic administrations of N.Y.C. and New York State are handling the distribution of the vaccine: 66% of the doses are unused and expiring. Theirs isn't the whole blame however: the freaking CDC bungled again by not prioritizing the elderly and those in nursing homes.

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1347649160225370114

Which states have good stats? The ones who ignored the CDC: Texas, Florida, and best of all, who'd have thunk it, West Virginia.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    This is how the Democratic administrations of N.Y.C. and New York State are handling the distribution of the vaccine: 66% of the doses are unused and expiring. Theirs isn't the whole blame however: the freaking CDC bungled again by not prioritizing the elderly and those in nursing homes.

Which states have good stats? The ones who ignored the CDC: Texas, Florida, and best of all, who'd have thunk it, West Virginia.
    Tulsi Gabbard: my favorite Democrat, talking sense as usual.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V22/YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

A user and a worker at the Burela residence test positive one week after receiving the first dose of Pfizer vaccine

According to Europa Press, the worker has needed to be admitted to the floor of the Public Hospital of A Mariña after having received the first of the two doses of the vaccine (the second must be given between 21 and 28 days later).

https://www.economiadigital.es/galic...la-vacuna.html

The Balearic Government intervenes in a nursing home with 55 elderly people who are positive in covid-19 who had started the vaccination process

Those affected had only received the first dose of the vaccine, which requires a second shot 21 days later to immunize against the coronavirus

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2021-01-...acunacion.html

Salud explains that it is considered normal that an outbreak can occur after vaccination, because immunization is progressive and full immunity is only acquired after receiving both doses of the vaccine; furthermore, a single dose may be enough to generate a response to the virus, but the body needs a few days to activate the immune system and the outbreak has arrived just before this response occurred.

What a coincidence!

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

If Texas is anywhere near Florida, I can guarantee you, they f'ed as badly as Florida. I have never seen such incompetence. First of all they lumped people over over 65 into one large group. That group is half the population of Florida so good luck finding a slot. I have been calling the number to get a slot as soon as it became available and it is busy. The slots online for January on the local Health Department were gone in the first 20 mins. Neither the local Health Department nor the local hospitals have enough personnel to administer the doses that are available. The local hospitals are overwhelmed with cover patients so the nurses and doctors are busy.

Please do not ascribe politics to what is clear incompetence in all states and all levels.

They need to prioritize as follows:
    1. Doctors and nurses and staff at hospitals & rest homes
    2. Doctors & nurses at doctors and dentists' offices
    3. Nursing home residents and immunocompromised patients at every age group
    4. 90+
    5. 80+
    6. 70+
    7. 60+
    8. 50+

Doses must be distributed to doctors offices so they can be administered from there according to the age and condition of the patient. I would also advise them to take advantage of the pharmacists at CVS, Walgreens and Walmart. Cast as wide a net as possible.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Why don't you ever inform yourself before you speak/post? Can you ever put your politics and personal animus aside, especially as regards me? Did I hurt your feelings when I talked about it mattering what university you attend and that SAT scores should count in college admissions? That's when I noticed the change.

I specifically said that it's the CDC recommendations which are at fault, and that the states following them are in the worst situation.

The recommendations specifically state that it is CVS and Walgreens which should distribute it. THAT'S THE WHOLE FREAKING PROBLEM! They're not doing it efficiently.

The CDC is also at fault for why seniors weren't getting it at all initially. The original list had front line health care workers get it first, and then "essential" workers, which include factory workers for CHRIST'S sake! Only when there was a huge outcry did they put the people in care homes at number two. Seniors are still way down the list.

It's a fact that the following states ignored it all and after front line health care workers are attempting to vaccinate seniors: Texas, Florida, West Virginia, Ohio. I honestly don't know why they're all Republican led states. Maybe they believe more in state's rights? Maybe it's because they haven't spent the last months canonizing the CDC and Fauci as the be all and end all?

Boo hoo, you haven't gotten it yet; they're not doing a good enough job for you. At least they've put you ahead of healthy factory workers. People in New York in their 60s, 70s etc. aren't even on the list.

Oh wait, on Tuesday Cuomo finally got embarrassed and said people over 75 could get it. Of course, they're still competing with essential workers, i.e. in the same phase. WOW! What an improvement. Meanwhile, it's sitting in pharmacies expiring. So he also finally got on the stick and said they'll ship it to doctor's offices and urgent care centers. This is the man writing a book about what a great job he's done on this. I trusted him too, and praised him often, even though I dislike his policies in other areas. That's until I realized he sent people ill with Covid to elder facilities when Stonybrook's facilities and the ship in NYC lay empty. Ten thousand elderly people were exposed and died because of that. Where's the apology.

I don't give a damn if someone is a Democrat, a Republican, a Communist or a Martian. If you do the right thing you get my praise. If you do the wrong thing you get condemnation. And before you start ringing your bell again, Trump made a bash of it (a man I never voted for btw), but so did most leaders of democracies unless they were islands on the fringe of the world. And the biggest culprits were the WHO, AND the CDC.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    If Texas is anywhere near Florida, I can guarantee you, they f'ed as badly as Florida. I have never seen such incompetence. First of all they lumped people over over 65 into one large group. That group is half the population of Florida so good luck finding a slot. I have been calling the number to get a slot as soon as it became available and it is busy. The slots online for January on the local Health Department were gone in the first 20 mins. Neither the local Health Department nor the local hospitals have enough personnel to administer the doses that are available. The local hospitals are overwhelmed with cover patients so the nurses and doctors are busy.

Please do not ascribe politics to what is clear incompetence in all states and all levels.

They need to prioritize as follows:
    1. Doctors and nurses and staff at hospitals & rest homes
    2. Doctors & nurses at doctors and dentists' offices
    3. Nursing home residents and immunocompromised patients at every age group
    4. 90+
    5. 80+
    6. 70+
    7. 60+
    8. 50+

Doses must be distributed to doctors offices so they can be administered from there according to the age and condition of the patient. I would also advise them to take advantage of the pharmacists at CVS, Walgreens and Walmart. Cast as wide a net as possible.
    you forgot the grave diggers and funeral ceremony working people.
    In Greece are considered in high danger after Doctors and nurses who treat Covid people.

But how typical, most of first vaccinated are Politicians and their families, and clerics
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V22/YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

The other day I found out that a cousin son of one of my father's sisters with whom we have not had the opportunity to have relations had caught it himself and all his children, had mild symptoms for one or two days but the wife died because she had previous complications. It was in the beginning when confusion reigned and apparently they caught it on a trip they took by bus.

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    I'm sorry Carlos. It's the innocents who often suffer.

Meanwhile it's being spread by idiotic young people who don't give a damn about anyone else. As I said, I saw a bunch of them sharing a vape pipe on a corner. My son told me someone he knows has a girlfriend who still went to a party knowing she was positive. Now the boyfriend as well as three others has it.

Their parents must be so proud.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Cheers for you and all your family, Carlos. The older ones are paying for the inconsequence of the younger ones. Selfish world we live in.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian

1 members found this post helpful.
    'We can't live in a cave': tourists ignore covid-19 and say they don't regret their trip to Brazil for New Year

• Luis Barrucho - @luisbarrucho
    • BBC News Brasil in London

5 January 2021

Photo caption,

"We can't live in a cave in fear of everything," says Peter * (fictitious name) of the covid-19 pandemic. "I don't regret coming here. I'm having a lot of fun. My friends and I are going to all the parties," adds he, who lives in London and traveled to Brazil on New Year's holidays.

Peter refers to parties like the Revolution Party, which took place at a beach club in Rio de Janeiro last week and was interrupted by the authorities for not meeting the requirements for its performance, such as wearing masks and social distance.

Images that circulated on social networks show the crowded space and regulars dancing close to each other.

"I think what people forget is the cost of containing covid-19: suicide, unemployment, mental problems, domestic violence," says Peter. "Taking all this into account, it is better to let the coronavirus run wild," he adds.

Asked if he has taken precautions, such as wearing masks or social detachment, he says he uses face protection "when asked".

"But then everyone kisses everyone at parties," he laughs.

BBC News Brasil spoke with other foreigners who traveled to Brazil on vacation for the holidays, also on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals. Some say they have decided to "close" the profile on Instagram (when the images are only available to approved followers), especially after accounts on the social network have been created to expose those who violate the rules.

One of them who spent the New Year in Trancoso said that Brazilians "care little about the coronavirus".

"The streets were full of people without a mask," he said.

He cautioned, however, that he tries to avoid crowds. "I don't get involved in groups and avoid parties with strangers."

CREDIT, GETTY IMAGES

Photo caption, Brazil has already had almost 200 thousand deaths of covid-19

Last week, a BBC News Brasil report warned of the risks of people participating in agglomerations and increasing the transmission of the virus.

The impact, according to epidemiologists, begins at the party site and then puts family members, co-workers and other people in social life at risk who did not necessarily participate in celebrations.

"Not everyone has the perception that the problem is that he will be the transmitter for his father or that he will pass the disease on to his friend, who will pass it on to the father. People are unaware of how much they are part of this chain" , said epidemiologist Márcio Bittencourt.

In the report he highlighted the risk for people in the surroundings who do not have the option of controlling contact, such as family members and co-workers.

"I have a friend who lives with her 90-year-old parents. If she takes it and passes it to her parents, they are at risk of dying from her attitude. And it's not a question of whether or not she will have a complicated case (of covid-19 If she, after returning from the party, goes to live in the family with the parents who live with her, there is no choice. The risk is present ", he added.

CREDIT, GETTY IMAGES

Photo caption, Brazil was one of the last countries to require a negative test for covid-19 from foreigners

Change of rules

Only as of December 30, passengers on international flights who disembark in Brazil will have to submit a negative RT-PCR test for covid-19 done up to 72 hours before the trip. This measure, in the opinion of experts, was adopted "too late".

"Brazil should have already started taking measures to restrict people arriving in the country since the second wave in Europe began," said researcher Domingos Alves, responsible for the Laboratory of Health Intelligence (LIS) at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of São Paulo (USP), in Ribeirão Preto, in a recent interview with BBC News Brasil.

"Recalling that there was almost a month of difference between the appearance of the second wave in Europe and in Brazil. We can infer that some of the cases we had were due to the fact that we kept all airports open".

"Once again, the Brazilian government has a systematic delay in relation to measures to contain the pandemic. It is unfortunate," he added.

Until changing the rules, Brazil was one of the few countries in the world - and the only South American one - with no restrictions on the entry of foreigners through airports, not adopting measures common to visitors who arrived from abroad through this means, as a negative diagnosis for covid-19 or mandatory 14-day quarantine.

It also took time to suspend flights to and from the United Kingdom - the decision came only a week after the announcement that health authorities in that country had discovered a new, more transmissible variant of the coronavirus, now also detected in Brazil.

Brazil has already registered almost 200 thousand deaths due to covid-19 and continues to be the second country with the highest number of deaths in the pandemic of the new coronavirus, after only the United States.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Pretty soon it's going to be difficult to ignore the fact that the virus broke out of the Wuhan Lab. Then we'll see what Joe Biden does now, given all the millions the Chinese Party gave his son. Indeed we'll see if his son's prosecution will go forward. Also, besides Deutsche Bank, how many tech giants paid bribes in China.

See:
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...bies.202000091

Despite claims from prominent scientists that SARS‐CoV‐2 indubitably emerged naturally, the etiology of this novel coronavirus remains a pressing and open question: Without knowing the true nature of a disease, it is impossible for clinicians to appropriately shape their care, for policy‐makers to correctly gauge the nature and extent of the threat, and for the public to appropriately modify their behavior. Unless the intermediate host necessary for completing a natural zoonotic jump is identified, the dual‐use gain‐of‐function research practice of viral serial passage should be considered a viable route by which the novel coronavirus arose. The practice of serial passage mimics a natural zoonotic jump, and offers explanations for SARS‐CoV‐2's distinctive spike‐protein region and its unexpectedly high affinity for angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE2), as well as the notable polybasic furin cleavage site within it. Additional molecular clues raise further questions, all of which warrant full investigation into the novel coronavirus's origins and a re‐examination of the risks and rewards of dual‐use gain‐of‐function research.

Replying to @gnxp_posts

4 papers about COVID's lab origins have already been published in peer-reviewed journals, 2 more call for inquiry into the idea: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/bies.202000091https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jmv.26478https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bies.202000240http://librelloph.com/journalofhumansecurity/article/view/johs-16.1.53https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02891455https://pnas.org/content/117/47/29246

Oh, and yes, New York is ahead of Florida in vaccines distributed, but that may be partly because specifically contrary to anyone's rules, anyone working at hospitals in New York is being vaccinated, including people who are young and healthy and no where near the front lines. It's easy to dump it off at hospitals and just let them take it. Who cares about the people over 60. So much for medical ethics and our city and state administrations. Would it be so hard to send it to the hospitals but call all patients, ex-patients of all the doctors in the area who are over 65 to come to the hospitals for the vaccines?

Check out the New York Times article on it.

Japan has identified a new mutation of the virus. The scare mongers are already saying it's both more contagious and resistant to vaccines, but that's not in the original article.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-10/japan-says-it-found-new-coronavirus-variant

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1348606324901359619

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V22/YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

Thank you

All they think about is having fun. These days in Madrid have been a scandal, the police have had to break up snowball battles. For young people the Covid has nothing to do with them.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Vaccine doses are being thrown away!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/10/healt...used/index.htm

This is appalling!

Give it anyone that wants it! We are all humans that have the vulnerability to spread it.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Vaccine doses are being thrown away!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/10/healt...used/index.htm

This is appalling!

Give it anyone that wants it! We are all humans that have the vulnerability to spread it.
    I suspect this is an aspect of why the distribution has thus far been a disaster:

Ethnic group
    Italian

The deified CDC which made up the original ridiculous list of priorities has now said anyone over 65, or under but with an underlying condition should receive it. Also, they're re-looking at the deal they made with Walgreens and CVS who are letting the vaccine expire and refusing to at least send it to nursing homes because the CDC said they'd only get paid if they administered it themselves and they're moving at a snail's pace because there are only so many pharmacists.

Could the CDC have bungled this more??? Have they lived in their ivory towers for so long that they don't know how the real world works? Have they never waited at a pharmacy for the prescription to be filled? Did they think a few pharmacists at two pharmacy chain stores could vaccinate the whole country? The CDC should order them right now to send the vaccine they've received directly to care homes. Anything left over to all the doctors in the area. Have them call in all their elderly patients.

Or have hospital doctors go to supermarkets and vaccinate everyone working there.

For Pity's Sake how many mistakes can the CDC and the WHO make? What is so freaking hard.

The army should have been put in charge of the distribution from the beginning. They do this all over the world, but that would have had some people screaming.

Oh, and by the way, the CDC says it was following guidelines set by the infectious disease Board on which sits Dr. Fauci. Why doesn't someone ask him about all this. Also, could this be why Dr. Deborah Birx resigned? Did she object to this stupidity?

And speaking of the WHO, reports are coming out that thousands of lab specimens and tens of thousands of files in the Wuhan Center are being destroyed, and China has demanded the ability to handpick the WHO doctors to investigate. That's on top of all the papers coming out concluding it was a lab creation.

Is this a joke? Who would ever believe them again after they counseled against closing borders in January. Any factory worker would have said to close all the borders. An English paper has just come out saying England was seeded with the virus 1000 separate times between January and March.

Ethnic group
    Italian

@Jovialis. Wouldn't it be nice if someone in the NYC government had the guts to admit that this is happening and order the vaccine to be passed on before it expires?

What else could one expect from DiBlasio and his crew but incompetence driven by WOKE ideology; meanwhile, people die.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

@Jovialis. Wouldn't it be nice if someone in the NYC government had the guts to admit that this is happening and order the vaccine to be passed on before it expires?

What else could one expect from DiBlasio and his crew but incompetence driven by WOKE ideology; meanwhile, people die.
    In the meantime the morons at CNN, and NYTs are decrying the roll-out effort of FL, as being a "Free-for-all".

IDIOTS, what is better? Having the vaccine go to waste? At least people are getting vaccinated.

Honestly, if you have the opportunity to get the vaccine, and you don't get one; you deserve to suffer the consequences.

Ethnic group
    Italian

In the meantime the morons at CNN, and NYTs are decrying the roll-out effort of FL, as being a "Free-for-all".

IDIOTS, what is better? Having the vaccine go to waste? At least people are getting vaccinated.

Honestly, if you have the opportunity to get the vaccine, and you don't get one; you deserve to suffer the consequences.
    What they can't or won't comprehend is that the Pfizer vaccine in particular has to be refrigerated. Once you take it out for distribution it has to be used or it's useless. You can't put it back in the refrigerator They also, of course, won't admit that people in the inner cities are refusing it.

Older Floridians won't refuse it. Rather than let it spoil it's better to have people waiting in line for hours.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Biden's approach will call for not holding back on reserving for second doses. I wonder if he will enable policy that will allow distribution for all. Breaking with what Cuomo, and Murphy are doing .

Baron

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-BY593
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2

After reviewing the latest wiki dump(I cried seeing the abortion stuff-Ufo was really interesting though), my unsolicited advice-- in NY, get out while you still can.
    H. event.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Silesian View Post
    After reviewing the latest wiki dump(I cried seeing the abortion stuff-Ufo was really interesting though), my unsolicited advice-- in NY, get out while you still can.
    I just moved way out east on Long Island, over an hour from the city, to a much more rural area, but I wish I had moved out of state. I would have, but my husband just won't give up his damn business, even though he does a lot of it from home now and only goes in twice a week.

We always had a condo in Florida, but I just would not be able to bear the heat and humility from May to October, and I won't get on a plane for the foreseeable future, so two residences are sort of out of the question for a while.

I actually would very much like to live in far western Massachusetts in the mountains near Tanglewood if I had to choose one place, even if it meant being surrounded by the WOKE of the WOKE. I don't at all mind winter and snow, and the older I get the less I like my fellow man (or woman). I'd be like my uncle and father, who bought one hundred acres of rural land with streams and ponds and forest, and took fifty acres each on which to build a house. Even that wasn't enough seclusion. There was another family up on their hill whom we all liked very much; their ancestors were original Dutch settlers. The three households seriously discussed buying the remainder of the land up there, incorporating as an association and building a fence on the road at the bottom of the hill. Only people who knew the code would be able to enter. :)

The whole idea horrifies my convivial Southern Italian husband, of course, so compromise, compromise. :)

I'm hoping once he finally retires he might settle for about five acres in Saratoga County. It's not quite as "Polar" in its climate, and there "is" a city center, and a cultural life for me.

Ethnic group
    Lithuanian

The vaccination may sound good, but if one does the numbers, it won't stop the pandemic.

What we know is that the vaccine prevents vaccinated people (up to 95%) developing serious COVID symptoms. It is very good, use it for vulnerable groups. Because otherwise, 80-90% of the general population will undergo COVid as asymptomatic or with mild symptoms, but the rest 20-10% may get very sick and for some 0.01 (or so) it may be fatal.

The Plifez did not test if the vaccinated people can still catch the virus and spread it to others as some asymptomatic people do (how come they did not test this crucial factor!!!???)
    Therefore, if the vaccinated people can still spread COVID asymptomatically, precautions will stay and we will continue with quarantine and restrictions...

Besides, as much as I understand the corona virus is like flu virus, and where new vaccines have to be developed each season. If it is the case, we will never see the end of vaccination and pandemic... unless it somehow expires by itself
    Last edited by Dagne; 15-01-21 at 20:30.

Ethnic group
    Italian

The most worrying thing is that the so called "South African" version seems able to avoid "any" immune response.

How do you vaccinate against that?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Johnson and Johnson are coming out with a one shot vaccine in March.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/13/covi...-response.html

Ethnic group
    Italian

Johnson and Johnson are coming out with a one shot vaccine in March.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/13/covi...-response.html
    Good thing, since there are reports of people getting serious disease after the first shot.

Dagne raised an interesting point, though; do any of them actually prevent infection or just lessen disease, i.e. make it asymptomatic. If that's the case you could still spread it on. Then, of course, there's the third variant, which antibodies don't seem to touch.

"Asymptomatically infected people typically produce virus at lower levels. Though there is not a perfect relationship, usually more virus equals more disease. Therefore, vaccinated people are less likely to transmit enough virus to cause severe disease. This in turn means that the people getting infected in this situation are going to transmit less virus to the next susceptible person. This has been neatly shown experimentally using a vaccine targeting a different virus in chickens; when only part of a flock was vaccinated, unvaccinated birds still showed milder disease and produced less virus.So, while sterilising immunity is often the ultimate goal of vaccine design, it is rarely achieved. Fortunately, this hasn’t stopped many different vaccines substantially reducing the number of cases of virus infections in the past. By reducing disease levels in individuals, this also reduces virus spread through populations, and this will hopefully bring the current pandemic under control."
    https://theconversation.com/coronavi...problem-152204

The data from Israel would seem to contradict this. They have already vaccinated 21% of their population, and hope to have 60% by the middle of March. The rate of infection keeps going up even though the hospitalizations and deaths are going down quickly.

I realize it's a much smaller country, but I would hope the CDC, the Advisory Board and the Governors are getting their plans for distribution.
    Last edited by Angela; 14-01-21 at 22:39.

Page 83 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast