Health New Coronavirus in China

You're depressing me. No matter what, their analysis makes it look like it's going to be like the Great Depression.

I worry about my children, but also about my husband's employees. He'd have to close, or declare bankruptcy, or something, because the government isn't going to be able to pay their salaries and the operating expenses forever.

Even for us, what will happen to the value of our homes? The only saving grace for us personally is the stock market. I feel like calling my ex broker and asking him how a reliance on technology and pharmacy stocks looks now.

Belo Horizonte is the Brazilian capital with the lowest number of infected and killed by COVID-19. We owe it to the diligent action of our mayor Elias Kalil, who quarantined the city as soon as the pandemic began. The estimates are that this winter in the capital of Minas Gerais will be severe. This is the news about the weather today in the city: “Celebrated this Sunday (10th), Mother's Day dawned with thermometers marking the lowest temperature ever recorded in Belo Horizonte since the year began - this is the coldest day of the year . The weather station installed in Cercadinho, in the Center-South region of the city, confirmed the sensation of intense cold that happened to many residents of the capital this morning: the equipment set a minimum of 10.5ºC. The thermal sensation, given the speed and intensity of the winds, plummeted even further: residents in the upper regions of the city felt a cold equivalent to - 1ºC - enough temperature, in fact, to start freezing the water. ” The cold is an enemy of the fight against the virus and in the interior of the State of São Paulo, the lower temperatures have contributed to the spread, more quickly, the virus, making the most developed state in the country also concentrate the largest number of infections and deaths in the country. Very sad.

PS: The good news is that, in Belo Horizonte, starting on Tuesday (12), the thermometers start to show higher temperatures in the morning, around 15ºC.

Belo Horizonte is the Brazilian capital with the lowest number of infected and killed by COVID-19. We owe it to the diligent action of our mayor Elias Kalil, who quarantined the city as soon as the pandemic began. The estimates are that this winter in the capital of Minas Gerais will be severe. This is the news about the weather today in the city: “Celebrated this Sunday (10th), Mother's Day dawned with thermometers marking the lowest temperature ever recorded in Belo Horizonte since the year began - this is the coldest day of the year . The weather station installed in Cercadinho, in the Center-South region of the city, confirmed the sensation of intense cold that happened to many residents of the capital this morning: the equipment set a minimum of 10.5ºC. The thermal sensation, given the speed and intensity of the winds, plummeted even further: residents in the upper regions of the city felt a cold equivalent to - 1ºC - enough temperature, in fact, to start freezing the water. ” The cold is an enemy of the fight against the virus and in the interior of the State of São Paulo, the lower temperatures have contributed to the spread, more quickly, the virus, making the most developed state in the country also concentrate the largest number of infections and deaths in the country. Very sad.

PS: The good news is that, in Belo Horizonte, starting on Tuesday (12), the thermometers start to show higher temperatures in the morning, around 15ºC.

Hmmm, wondering if this colder weather (it's REALLY cold where I'm at in the Southern U.S.) could be related to the virus-- specifically the reduction of emissions tied to less travel and work. The skies here have been beautifully clear with no usual haze, haze that I now link to jet airplanes. Could it be the atmosphere can cool more efficiently at night without the blanket effect caused by global flights?

And Angela, may I ask the age of your son's co-workers? I feel bad for their wives and families.

Hmmm, wondering if this colder weather (it's REALLY cold where I'm at in the Southern U.S.) could be related to the virus-- specifically the reduction of emissions tied to less travel and work. The skies here have been beautifully clear with no usual haze, haze that I now link to jet airplanes. Could it be the atmosphere can cool more efficiently at night without the blanket effect caused by global flights?

And Angela, may I ask the age of your son's co-workers? I feel bad for their wives and families.

The two men were late forties, 49 I think, and 55. My son worked with their wives, who probably brought it home, because the husbands weren't in an "essential" industry. The wives did get ill, but mildly, while the husbands died. The one in his forties left young children, but both were fathers. It's just desperately sad.

Both were also South Asians, and now a Chinese man has tested positive and is home in isolation.

Studies coming out of England with its huge South Asian descended population do show that both South Asians and East Asians are more susceptible to contracting it and to severe illness. It's not by a huge margin, but there is indeed a difference. It's even more true for African descended people.

With South Asians, they have really high percentages of diabetes, and they also live in large extended families. I don't know if these particular men had that or other commodities, but I know grandparents and aunts were living in the home.

I'm of course worried for my son. I comfort myself with the thought that they first became ill six wees ago or more, with first the wives being sent home, then the husband's becoming ill, and then spending a month in ICU wards, so it was before everyone started wearing a mask.

I went on and on about the efficacy of masks, even on here, when the WHO and even the CDC said not to wear them, but my son didn't listen. Well, he wears one now.

Other than the disinfection techniques of hands and surfaces, and masks, my take away has been that the circulation of pure, fresh air is key in all of this, so although it's still so unseasonably cold for May, at least one window is partially open in every room. Any complaints and I tell them to put on a heavy sweater and socks. :) We also bought some air purifying units with HEPA filters for my son's apartment and the kitchen/family room. I'm not too confident in them, however, because the range in square footage isn't great.

For the long term we have to look into how much it would cost to install UV lights and other disinfection properties to the ducts.

This may be all wrong, given that the science keeps changing, but it's what I've concluded from the data so far.

Good morning @nordicwarrior: That the air in my city is cleaner, there is no doubt. The city is full of birds of the most varied species whose singing are a beautiful daily symphony. Around 5 o'clock in the afternoon I am enchanted with the flock of green macaws. They are very beautiful. Along with them came their predators, such as Gavião (a specie of Brazilian hawk). The Gavião is a Brazilian bird of prey of the falconids family. It is big, beautiful, elegant and deadly to other birds and small mammals. According to newspapers, “amid social isolation measures, Belo Horizonte's air is 45% cleaner. This is what the research from the State Environment Foundation, Feam, shows. According to the researchers, the improvement in air quality in the capital of Minas Gerais was influenced by the decrease in vehicles on major roads and by the slowdown in industrial production in Betim, a city in the Greater BH that has a strong impact on the secondary sector of economy. ”
Cheers :)

7ELtX7U.jpg

YWHiwDD.jpg

PS: So, the day dawned in Belo Horizonte today. Beautiful, clean, sunny and cold sky. Below, my neighborhood, Buritis, which is 1,000 meters above the sea level. Above the hillside, that contains a fragment of altitude’s Atlantic forest (Ecological reserve of Cercadinho) , is the Vila da Serra neighborhood, located in the neighboring municipality of Nova lima, at an altitude of 1,300 meters above sea level. Photo taken from the balcony of my apartment. I can’t deny the beauty of landscape :)

rbQQrEr.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning @nordicwarrior: That the air in my city is cleaner, there is no doubt. The city is full of birds of the most varied species whose singing are a beautiful daily symphony. Around 5 o'clock in the afternoon I am enchanted with the flock of green macaws. They are very beautiful. Along with them came their predators, such as Gavião (a specie of Brazilian hawk). The Gavião is a Brazilian bird of prey of the falconids family. It is big, beautiful, elegant and deadly to other birds and small mammals. According to newspapers, “amid social isolation measures, Belo Horizonte's air is 45% cleaner. This is what the research from the State Environment Foundation, Feam, shows. According to the researchers, the improvement in air quality in the capital of Minas Gerais was influenced by the decrease in vehicles on major roads and by the slowdown in industrial production in Betim, a city in the Greater BH that has a strong impact on the secondary sector of economy. ”

7ELtX7U.jpg

YWHiwDD.jpg

PS: So, the day dawned in Belo Horizonte today. Beautiful, clean, sunny and cold sky. Below, my neighborhood, Buritis, which is 1,000 meters above the sea level. Above the hillside, that contains a fragment of altitude’s Atlantic forest (Ecological reserve of Cercadinho) , is the Vila da Serra neighborhood, located in the neighboring municipality of Nova lima, at an altitude of 1,300 meters above sea level. Photo taken from the balcony of my apartment. I can’t deny the beauty of landscape :)

rbQQrEr.jpg

Beautiful scenery @Duarte! While the ability to see for miles and miles because of lower pollution is one of the benefits just imagine where all that pollution was also going: Your lungs.

The link between Vitamin D deficiency and more severe covid 19 outcomes was investigated by two studies:

[FONT=&quot]In a preprint of a study published on April 30, which has not been peer-reviewed, a team led by Northwestern University researchers looked at data on coronavirus cases in 10 countries, including China, Iran, Germany, Italy, and the US. They compared this with data on the levels of vitamin D in the population in those countries before the pandemic.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They found a strong correlation between vitamin D deficiency and a complication known as a cytokine storm, which occurs when the immune system goes into overdrive, and a correlation between vitamin D deficiency and mortality rates.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Cytokine storm can severely damage lungs and lead to acute respiratory distress syndrome and death in patients," Ali Daneshkhah, a postdoctoral research associate at Northwestern and the lead author of the study, said in a press release. "This is what seems to kill a majority of COVID-19 patients, not the destruction of the lungs by the virus itself. It is the complications from the misdirected fire from the immune system."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Another study also found a link between higher levels of vitamin D and fewer COVID-19 cases and deaths.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the study, published on Wednesday in the journal Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, researchers from the UK found that among 20 European countries, those with higher average levels of vitamin D had fewer coronavirus cases and lower mortality rates.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Italy and Spain, for instance, had higher mortality rates than other countries in the study, and both had lower average levels of vitamin D. Northern European countries like Finland, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden had higher average levels of vitamin D and lower rates of coronavirus cases and deaths.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Researchers noted that this study was limited in that it didn't account for the level of testing and other interventions in each country.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vitamin-d-deficiency-may-tied-134400395.html[/FONT]

Beautiful scenery @Duarte! While the ability to see for miles and miles because of lower pollution is one of the benefits just imagine where all that pollution was also going: Your lungs.

Thank you @bigsnake49. Yes. The particles of pollution lodge in our lungs and the consequences can be very serious. A few years ago, mainly in the fall and early spring, it was very common in Belo Horizonte the occurrence of phenomenon called thermal inversion. When this happened, the more colder air laden with particles of pollution was trapped in the lower layers of the atmosphere, close to the ground and the warmer air was in the upper layers of the atmosphere . The result was a horizon obscured by pollution. Today it is more rare to happen, but depending on the conditions of air circulation in the atmosphere, it happens.

I was reading about mass transportation (bus) and the demanding vechicles for 'secure' from high rates infection urban transportation,
Thessaloniki a city of about 800 000 population with max dynamic about 1 100 000 at special days had 200 busses for urban transportation
the minimum demand to secure that infection will keep low is about 550 busses,
that means if this measure pass to other cities of Europe also,
that urban mass transportation busses WILL BE A PARADISE, YEAH!!!
offcourse I did not found how this will cost, etc etc
but until 1 JUN the city will have 530 busses operational from about 200 that has now.

Yes @Johen. We are ruled by a President that flirting the genocide. He is a sociopath. His impeachment, for the time being, is also from quarantine. But when the pandemic is over and we are taking stock of the tragedy, he will be impeached and will respond for crimes committed against his own people.

Photos are stunning!

My wife was tested for Covid on Tuesday (had a fever and congestion) results came back today-- Negative!

I thought for sure she had it, and that I had it as well because of her fever and also the fact that I spent two nights with the worst asthma symptoms to date. Must be the pollen. When I do get it, I will be screwed, blued, and tattooed.

Repeatedly hearing about the importance of Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc to keep immune system healthy. Obviously this isn't a cure, but we are buying and eating more yellow and orange peppers, more oranges, drinking more orange and grapefruit juice than before. Citrus apparently is a no-no when you have asthma, but I figure the trade off is worth it. Maybe that's what's been causing my asthma flare-ups.

Missed almost a week of work due to wife's status-- better safe than sorry-- but on a positive note I now have a face shield fitted to my hard hat so breathing will be much easier.

More evidence emerges that smokers are protected from Covid-19 - weird!
Less than 5% of 441 hospitalised Coronavirus patients in a hospital in Parma, Northern Italy, were smokers, compared with 24% in the general population.

28250794-8306781-image-a-1_1589187065294.jpg

Information about smoking was taken from medical records, and efforts were made to directly contact the patients or their relatives.

Here is another graph:

27744402-8264635-image-a-8_1588072242587.jpg

University College, London reviewed 28 different studies and found smoking rates were lower than expected among Covid-19 patients. The above graph shows the smoking rate of each country against the percentage of smokers among Covid-19 patients. The lowest figure has been chosen for each country to show the stark comparison discovered by some studies. The 28 studies involved more that 23,000 People.

Photos are stunning!

My wife was tested for Covid on Tuesday (had a fever and congestion) results came back today-- Negative!

I thought for sure she had it, and that I had it as well because of her fever and also the fact that I spent two nights with the worst asthma symptoms to date. Must be the pollen. When I do get it, I will be screwed, blued, and tattooed.

Repeatedly hearing about the importance of Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc to keep immune system healthy. Obviously this isn't a cure, but we are buying and eating more yellow and orange peppers, more oranges, drinking more orange and grapefruit juice than before. Citrus apparently is a no-no when you have asthma, but I figure the trade off is worth it. Maybe that's what's been causing my asthma flare-ups.

Missed almost a week of work due to wife's status-- better safe than sorry-- but on a positive note I now have a face shield fitted to my hard hat so breathing will be much easier.

I'm glad. :)

My husband and son were both tested and the results came back this afternoon that both are negative. It's a relief.

My husband and son were both tested and the results came back this afternoon that both are negative. It's a relief.

Whew!!! Glad they came back negative. My wife had to go through the testing about a week ago. She came back negative. Everybody that came in contact with this one individual tested negative. This guy told everybody he tested positive but we suspect that he was lying. Nobody asked for written proof that he tested positive. We think that his brother, who is a doctor, told him to lie about it so he can stay home and not risk getting it.

More evidence emerges that smokers are protected from Covid-19 - weird!
Less than 5% of 441 hospitalised Coronavirus patients in a hospital in Parma, Northern Italy, were smokers, compared with 24% in the general population.

28250794-8306781-image-a-1_1589187065294.jpg

Information about smoking was taken from medical records, and efforts were made to directly contact the patients or their relatives.

Here is another graph:

27744402-8264635-image-a-8_1588072242587.jpg

University College, London reviewed 28 different studies and found smoking rates were lower than expected among Covid-19 patients. The above graph shows the smoking rate of each country against the percentage of smokers among Covid-19 patients. The lowest figure has been chosen for each country to show the stark comparison discovered by some studies. The 28 studies involved more that 23,000 People.
The data from China and the US is overwhelming. I wonder if there is a reason why the discrepancy isn't the same in South Korea and the study from there was a smaller one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6546632/
China has the largest smoking population in the world, with around 316 million adult smokers, and accounts for nearly one-third (30%) of smokers and 40% of tobacco consumption worldwide (4). In 2015, smoking prevalence was 27.7% (52.1% among men and 2.7% among women) (5).Mar 12, 2019

Are these all male patients?

Were they tested for antibodies or for actual presence of COVID?

Coronavirus: what is behind Africa’s apparent resistance to the pandemic

May 12, 2020

RjE6EZJ.jpg

The African continent has so far about 55,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus infections (Photo: Getty Images via BBC News Brasil)
bbc_footer_sJkmJ5D.jpg

Since the first case in Africa was reported on February 14, the world media, experts, governments and even the World Health Organization (WHO) have predicted a “catastrophe” on the continent.

Although experts warn that it is too early to claim victory, the “impending disaster” predicted by John Nkengasong, director of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in Africa, has not yet occurred.

While Europe accounts for more than 1.5 million confirmed cases, the United States exceeds 1.3 million and Latin America is close to 250,000, the African continent has so far 55,000 infections.

Its relatively low number of deaths is even more surprising: until May 8, this region of the world registered just over 2 thousand deaths, much less than other continents or even compared to a city like New York, which has already passed 20 thousand deaths.

These figures are more impressive given the fact that Africa is the second most populous continent in the world, with 1.2 billion inhabitants.

But what is behind the African continent’s apparent resistance to the coronavirus pandemic and why are there so few reported cases of covid-19?

Diversity of approaches

The most affected African countries, until May 11, are South Africa, with 10,015 cases, Egypt with 9,400, Morocco with 6,063 and Algeria with 5,723. Together, they represent almost 50% of all infections in Africa.

Some experts argue that the explanation for the supposed exception that the continent has become is that local health systems are unable to do enough tests to detect more cases of covid-19, mainly due to a lack of resources.

But others assert that other factors also influence this situation. Anne Soy, the BBC’s deputy editor in Africa, explains that there is indeed a complex situation on a continent with 53 countries that have confirmed the presence of the virus and have adopted different strategies to deal with it.

“There are those who have taken drastic measures from the beginning and where the number of cases continues to increase, however, there are others who are still in denial and are not implementing measures to prevent the spread of the disease, such as Tanzania,” says Soy.

Africa has a relatively low number of infections and deaths when compared to other regions of the world (Photo: Getty Images via BBC News Brasil)
Tanzania’s President John Magufuli is one of the few world leaders to continue to minimize the severity of the virus. Last week, he questioned the accuracy of the tests for covid-19 and dismissed the head of the national health laboratory in charge of carrying out the tests, denouncing a “cheat”.

Magufuli had already asked Tanzanians to pray for the coronavirus to disappear, and his government does not offer daily updates on the progress of the outbreak.

Rapid reactions from African countries
Despite some exceptions, most African countries have taken action “more quickly than the rest of the world,” notes Soy.

“Rwanda was one of the first to implement confinement when there were fewer than 20 confirmed cases. They closed the border and stopped international flights,” he said.

South Africa, the continent’s country that has reported the most infections so far, has since March 27 imposed one of the strictest isolation regimes in the world, banning all commercial flights and even the sale of drinks and cigarettes.

But mainly due to the slump in South Africa’s economic activity, its health officials began to relax some measures last week.

Experience with epidemics

Although the coronavirus pandemic is the most serious health crisis of our generation, it is far from the first. Especially in Africa, a continent that has faced severe epidemics of malaria, tuberculosis, cholera, HIV and Ebola.

All of these diseases took lives, but they also forced the African scientific and medical community to innovate.

“The African population is used to reacting quickly, to resorting to volunteers in rural areas. I think that has allowed them to circulate information on preventive measures and apply them in time,” says Karl Blanchet, specialist in global health and health emergencies at the Center Geneva for Education and Research in Humanitarian Action (Cerah).

The recent Ebola epidemic that hit West Africa, with greater intensity between 2014 and 2016, caused havoc in countries like Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone and left more than 11,000 dead.

Although WHO declared the end of the health emergency in the region in March 2016, authorities are still on alert in some of the countries most affected by the outbreak due to the emergence of isolated cases.

“Ebola was a problem that still existed when the covid-19 pandemic was declared. This means that some African countries already had detection infrastructure at airports. Public health officials and non-contact thermometers were already positioned at the entrance doors,” explains Soy.

The ebola outbreak also taught Africa the importance of detecting cases quickly, treating confirmed patients and isolating communities, says the BBC journalist.

“Because of that epidemic, people have even stopped shaking hands in West Africa and the Democratic Republic of Congo. They have become aware that this is important,” he adds.

A less globalized continent

Frederique Jacquerioz, an African public health specialist from the team of tropical and humanitarian medicine at the Geneva University Hospital in Switzerland, estimates that another factor that may explain Africa’s resistance to the pandemic is the low circulation between the countries of the continent and the rest of the world.

“The first confirmed cases in Africa were young people, Africans or Europeans, who traveled, returned to Africa and brought the virus with them,” says the doctor.

Rwanda imposed containment measures when there were fewer than 20 confirmed cases.

“In a globalized world, this was one of the factors that fueled the spread of the virus in Europe, where groups of young people spend weekends in different cities. Perhaps in Africa, in that sense, there is less mobility between countries.”

This hypothesis is supported by several experts. Blanchet, from Cerah, gives as an example three of the countries that have so far been most affected by the virus: South Africa, Egypt and Algeria.

“They are the countries with the largest number of air connections with China. The exception is Ethiopia, which despite not being in this group, has a direct connection with the Asian country. But it has not yet been affected by the pandemic. This is something that it cannot be explained, “he says.

Is there a demographic factor?

The African demographic pyramid is another element that may have helped the death toll in the region to be no greater: Africa is the continent with the youngest population in the world.

Blanchet believes in this hypothesis and points out that “the average age in Africa is 19.7 years, while in Europe it is around 40 years, for example”.

Although Anne Soy recognizes that this could be one of the factors, she warns that there are still no scientific studies to support this theory.

“It may be one of the advantages of Africa, but at the same time, you also have a large population of malnourished children, with a weaker immune system, than the rest of the world population, which makes them more vulnerable. This means that would we have to see more African children affected than in the rest of the planet? “asks the journalist.

The risks of the continent

On Friday, the WHO warned that the coronavirus in Africa could “burn slowly” for several years and kill about 190,000 people in the next 12 months.

That warning came a month after the agency estimated that the outbreak would cause 10 million infections on the continent within six months.

The same report from Friday predicts that between 29 million and 44 million people could be infected in the first year of the covid-19 pandemic if containment measures on the continent fail.

Several analysts emphasize that the impact of the pandemic will really depend on the actions that governments take.

The director of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Stephen Karingi, told the British newspaper The Guardian that it is necessary to recognize that African authorities are “doing a lot” to contain the outbreak.

“Projections were that we would now be in a war situation, but due to measures taken by governments and communities, transmission rates are lower than those we have seen elsewhere.”

Soy says movement restrictions have slowed the spread of the virus, but officials must remain vigilant, especially in Africa’s slums.

“They have a high population density and very poor health services. Some of them don’t even have access to water,” says the journalist.

Soy points out that the majority of its inhabitants would have trouble staying confined for a long time, because they are informal workers who cannot eat if they do not go out to work.

Despite the diversity of opinions and debates about why Africa has resisted the covid-19 pandemic better than other resource-rich regions, the vast majority of experts agree that it is too early to speak of an “African exception”.

Source:
https://www.time24.news/t24/2020/05...esistance-to-the-pandemic-epoca-negocios.html

Were they tested for antibodies or for actual presence of COVID?

Everyone in my son's place of work was tested for the actual presence of Covid. My husband was tested for both Covid and the antibodies.

It's a relief, but I wish, in a way, that my husband had come out positive for the antibodies, and I wish they'd tested my son for them and he was positive as well, both for them and for me. That's assuming that you get immunity for at least a year.

As it stands, we're still all susceptible.

From the latest briefing here it looks like they're hoping to eventually have testing once a week for almost every one. I think that's the way it would have to be. That way, if a hot spot breaks out, they can test, trace, and isolate them all. That should work if, and it's a big if, everyone really quarantines. We're not China. I can't see us putting ankle monitors on people to make sure they stay home.

Our results sort of correlate with the latest infection rate figures I've seen. For the whole of the U.S. it only seems to be about 4%. I think that in the Metro area it's not going to be above 15%. The public health authorities were hoping the original 40-50% infected rate was real, but it was because the people getting tested were people in nursing homes or close contacts of infected people. Yet, a 10 to 15% infection rate was enough to bring the hospitals to their knees, and the funeral homes couldn't cope with all the corpses.

Can you imagine what it would be like if they had followed the "herd immunity" route of letting 70% of the population get infected?

Well, we don't have to imagine.

"70% of blood donors in Castiglione d'Adda, the epicentre of the outbreak in Italy, tested positive. The town was saturated: these are guys that didn't even think they had it. Killed > 1% of the town."

The U.S. has a population of 328 million. The math is frightening.

What on earth were the English epidemiologists thinking with their "let it rip" approach? Didn't they learn from China and Italy how lethal it could be? No, it's not like SARS, but it's not the damn flu either.

This thread has been viewed 692658 times.

Back