Health New Coronavirus in China

I have to ask, I'll get back to you later.

That would be much appreciated. All I see on Amazon are the masks with inserts for the bigger carbon filters.

Just curious... do you get stigmatized for wearing a mask in the US?
I know for a fact it was commonplace to wear masks in Asia even before the pandemic, hence there is no stigma behind it, however I have heard in the US you get the stares for wearing it.
Not that any of this matters, the main priority is staying safe and healthy!

Just curious... do you get stigmatized for wearing a mask in the US?
I know for a fact it was commonplace to wear masks in Asia even before the pandemic, hence there is no stigma behind it, however I have heard in the US you get the stares for wearing it.
Not that any of this matters, the main priority is staying safe and healthy!

I think it's partly a function of which part of the U.S. you're in.

Some lame brain governor from one of the internal states rescinded his order that mask wearing in public was mandatory because he said he got so much push back from people. Some states have very few cases. Let's see how much "push back" there is if their numbers ever get to 2-3,000 a day dying of it.

Here in the New York Metro area where I live (a suburban area), there's a sign on the door at Walmart's saying the police will be called if you enter without a mask covering your face and nose. Same thing at the Italian/Greek supermarket/produce market where we shop. Even at the regular grocery stores the employees wear not just a mask, but a face shield and gloves, and they no longer sell deli products or meat individually to people, because they'd have to be within 5 feet of you; it's all pre-packaged.

In the beginning it was different because the hospitals and first responders didn't have enough of them. If you popped up wearing an N95 mask it wouldn't have been pleasant. People took, and take, the lives of our essential personnel, who can get inundated by huge amounts of viral load, seriously.

I just watch on tv a proffesor from the Chemistry Engineering of AUTh, (my after Diploma speciality was, on Enviroment, Enviromental technigue and Hydraylic Engineering, and Statistical and apllied Meteorology)
about Coronavirus quantity on water after waste watertreatment,

the first who found this are the Dutch,
Anyway, I will try to communicate with old fellas, just personal interest,

So, the quantities of virus on water after wastewater treatments are big enough,
it is certainly a virus that loves sewers,
and most possible is to be 'mutated' there, or in the production precedure of 'gutter oil'

The first estimation concerns the city of Thessaloniki, on how many were infected,
it is very possible that asymptomatics could have been more than we expected,
I have no further information about analogies etc,

I started to think sewer waters and fats is coronavirus first 'homeplace'
after all bats love night, and humidity.

I am thinking if the Eugeneo village in Italy and its Thalassaemia B is a natural shield against virus,
I am waiting for a deeper serach about that,

For aftermath,
urban sewage network, and especially the closed ones (not rain, but houses one) is the best coronavirus enviroment,
and a field to estimate the infection of the city, as concerns the asymptomatic ones,
the study and method will be expand to all wastewater treatment facilities in Greece and islands, for 2 reasons
1, as a mark of areas that were not infected, or had no confirmed case,
2, as an indicator for population % infection including asymptomatic ones

Btw
I still remember 'the smell' when i was gathering wastewater to estimate and calculate the Escherichia, the Euglena,Deltaprotea, Desulfa etc
yach, even 2 showers and it was still inside your nose, your cloth smell even after 2 timed washed.

China has a big but brief chance right now to speed its way to global leadership:

The Covid-19 pandemic has revealed more clearly than ever before the nature and relentlessness of the ruling Chinese Communist Party’s ambition to place itself at the center of global power and influence.
What once was an opaque policy, articulated by Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping, of “hide your strength, bide your time,” has now morphed into the transparent, if still unstated, approach by President Xi Jinping of “seizing the Covid-19 moment” – before it closes.
The virus first appeared to be a dramatic setback for China, given its role as the pathogen’s source and epicenter in January and February. With China’s likely emergence now as the first major world economy to end lockdowns and regain growth, Covid-19 now offers a once-in-a-century chance to accelerate the geopolitical shift in Beijing’s favor through 2020 and far beyond.
That said, Chinese leaders are moving at a pace that reveals not only their ambitions but also their apprehensions that this historic moment could close as quickly as it opened.
“The party’s leaders believe they have a narrow window of strategic opportunity to strengthen their rule and revise the international order in their favor,” writes Lt. Gen. (ret.) H.R. McMaster, President Donald Trump’s former national security adviser, in his just-released book “Battlegrounds: The Fight to Defend the Free World.”
He sees the party leadership moving at warp speed to “co-opt, coerce and conceal” at home and abroad “before China’s economy sours, before the population grows old, before other countries realize that the party is pursing national rejuvenation at their expense, and before unanticipated events such as the coronavirus pandemic expose” their vulnerabilities.
At the same time, Beijing is wrestling with the new burdens of global leadership: demands from debtor nations for relief, from developing nations for accountability, from Covid-19 victims for reparations and from the global human rights campaigners for less repression and more transparency.

God blessed America, but Corona does CCP.

"Welcome back to the office. your every move will be watched" BY WSJ

im-183393

Why are we having outbreaks in meatpacking plants?

"Meatpacking is dangerous, has cuts, bruises, and abrasions. “Very turbulent air conditions” often prevail, and steam can be present too. One old observational study concluded that workers have higher cancer risk, possibly from contact w animal viruses. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.100"

I see the government has made them stay open, and I get it; they're afraid of food shortages.

However, they have to protect these people. They need to be suited up like medical staff if necessary. They can't be sacrificed like this for the rest of us.

My first thought: What are the temperatures in the meatpacking plants?

corona-heat.jpg

The GAM dose-response curve suggested a negative linear relationship between temperatures and daily cumulative confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the range from 16.8 °C to 27.4 °C. Each 1 °C rise of temperature was associated with a −4.8951% (t = −2.29, p = 0.0226) decrease in the number of daily cumulative confirmed cases of COVID-19. A sensitivity analysis assessed the robustness of the results of the model. The predicted R-squared of the polynomial linear regression model was 0.81053.

Temperature significantly changes COVID-19 transmission in (sub)tropical cities of Brazil

My first thought:
What are the temperatures?
corona-heat.jpg

I'm no expert, but it seems to run the gamut from hot (steam areas) to freezing. So, I don't know...

I also heard somewhere that you have to shout to be heard over the noise of the machines and the water.

If all the rules are hygienically followed, it should be sanitary. The only thing that could be added are good quality masks and shields. Otherwise, one or two positive people could infect a large number.

" It is also recommended that all rooms where meat is processed, except in the slaughter and cooler storage areas, should be maintained at a temperature of about 12°C. In facilities where no refrigeration or cooling is furnished in processing areas, the handling of meat products is possible if all equipment contacting the products is throughly cleaned and sanitized from time to time (recommended every four hours). Frequent cleaning is necessary because in warmer temperatures bacteria multiply rapidly and the risk of product contamination increases."

http://www.fao.org/3/t0279e/T0279E02.htm

I'm no expert, but it seems to run the gamut from hot (steam areas) to freezing. So, I don't know...

I also heard somewhere that you have to shout to be heard over the noise of the machines and the water.

If all the rules are hygienically followed, it should be sanitary. The only thing that could be added are good quality masks and shields. Otherwise, one or two positive people could infect a large number.

" It is also recommended that all rooms where meat is processed, except in the slaughter and cooler storage areas, should be maintained at a temperature of about 12°C. In facilities where no refrigeration or cooling is furnished in processing areas, the handling of meat products is possible if all equipment contacting the products is throughly cleaned and sanitized from time to time (recommended every four hours). Frequent cleaning is necessary because in warmer temperatures bacteria multiply rapidly and the risk of product contamination increases."

http://www.fao.org/3/t0279e/T0279E02.htm

12 Celsius might be the ideal temperature for spreading. Similar to what Italy and Iran were like climate-wise when this outbreak first kicked in.

12 Celsius might be the ideal temperature for spreading. Similar to what Italy and Iran were like climate-wise when this outbreak first kicked in.

Oh, this is bad news for me. The climate in my city is Cwb by the Köppen-Geiger climate classification. Here we are in autumn and that was the news in the main newspaper of the city today: ‘Belo Horizonte registered the lower temperature of year at this Monday (4) with 11.6ºC, at Cercadinho Climate Station, in Belvedere neighborhood, in the south-central region of Belo Horizonte. Before that, last Tuesday (28), the thermometers, also in Cercadinho, registered 12.6ºC.

According to the National Institute of Meteorology (Inmet), the cold should become even more intense with the arrival of a mass of polar air between Wednesday (6) and next Thursday (7), causing rapid rains and plummeting the temperature. In the coming days, new cold records should occur in the capital of Minas Gerais. This Monday (4), the district of 'Monte Verde', Camanducaia City, recorded the lowest temperature in the state, with 4ºC.’

The virus will like so much to know this. :indifferent:

March and April were right in that ballpark for the New York metro area, so there you go.

Hope you're right and it will be less virulent in the coming warmer months.

Oh, just heard that in one meat packing plant 58% of the people are CoV-19 positive. Thirty-seven people have died so far.

They are putting plastic barriers between the people, and stopping them from working side by side in a sort of assembly line, so the production is much slower.

Gross, I know, but this is a paper on covid virus concentrations from toilet flushing.

Supposedly, it can hang around in the air for up to three hours, so anyone entering the bathroom after that might inhale it. I wonder if spread then through the air ducts is possible, which could partly explain some of the spread in ships, apartment buildings, etc., although the paper is focused on hospitals and nursing homes.

A lot of patients in nursing homes, in particular, are incontinent, and there could be transmission to the staff even more directly than through the toilet flushing.

When this is more under control they're going to have to totally revamp sanitation procedures in care homes, but even in hospitals. Even hospital staff, who should be even better trained, are lax as hell from my experience in them. After one procedure, well, I won't go into the gory details, but I told the nurses aide not even to think about touching me until she disinfected her hands and then put on sterile gloves. Otherwise, I'd apply the ointment myself, thank you very much. And this was a university teaching hospital.

As for nursing homes, both the patients and the staff have to be better protected by the staff wearing face masks and gloves if need be when tending to the patients.

See:
"Particle concentrations measured before and after the flush were found to be significantly different (0.3–10 μm). Bioaerosol concentrations when flushing fecal waste were found to be significantly greater than background concentrations (p-value = 0.005). However, the bioaerosol concentrations were not different across time (p-value = 0.977) or distance (p-value = 0.911) from the toilet, suggesting that aerosols generated may remain for longer than 30 min post flush. Toilets produce aerosol particles when flushed, with the majority of the particles being 0.3 μm in diameter. The particles aerosolized include microorganisms remaining from previous use or from fecal wastes. Differences in bioaerosol concentrations across conditions also suggest that toilet flushing is a source of bioaerosols that may result in transmission of pathogenic microorganisms.Conclusions

This study is the first to quantify particles and bioaerosols produced from flushing a hospital toilet during routine patient care. Future studies are needed targeting pathogens associated with gastrointestinal illness and evaluating aerosol exposure reduction interventions."
https://aricjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13756-018-0301-9#Sec9

Been thinking about this method of transmission for some time. My current jobsite (like most any standard construction site) has no functional plumbing for workers. A huge upgrade though is we now have an ample number of sinks with high flow water and industrial strength hand-cleaners infused with alcohol.

But a port-a-potty is what is. No matter how careful we all are, escaping the squat pot is not really feasible. I think once one of us on site gets infected, it's off to the races.

I live in a state where the numbers are growing rapidly. One of the subs (who I worked with daily) is now out because his wife has Covid.

Am ready for the battle. I sense it is near.

I can check the box for more co-morbidities than most. Figuring I have a one-in-four chance of checking out. But win or lose, at least I won't have to spray the bottom of my boots with Listerine when I come home after work or squirt the groceries with diluted bleach.

Bring it Covid. Let's see what you're made of you single stranded bat dweller.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this method of transmission for some time. My current jobsite (and almost all construction sites) has no functional plumbing for workers. A huge upgrade though is we now have an ample number of sinks with high flow water and industrial strength hand-cleaners infused with alcohol.

But a port-a-potty is what is. No matter how careful we all are, escaping the squat pot is not really feasible. I think once one of us on site gets infected, it's off to the races.

I'm in a state where the numbers are growing rapidly. One of the subs (who I worked with daily) is out because his wife has Covid.

Am ready for the battle. I sense it is near.

I can check the box for more co-morbidities than most. I figure I have a one-in-four chance of checking out. But win or lose, at least I won't have to spray the bottom of my boots with Listerine when I come home after work or squirt the groceries with diluted bleach.

Bring it Covid. Let's see what you're made of you single stranded bat dweller.

My dad was a general contractor, and my husband worked for him two summers during college, and so did I once in a while, sitting in the trailer occasionally doing paper work.

I know it sounds extreme, but try keeping the eating and drinking to a minimum during the day so you don't have to use them very much. That's what I did because I hated the damn things. They used to keep the "fecal matter" ones separate. It makes sense.

I know about 14 Celsius,
the difference is not big,
truth is that most confirmed 'boom' happened among 7-18 Co daily temperatures

Oh, this is bad news for me. The climate in my city is Cwb by the Köppen-Geiger climate classification. Here we are in autumn and that was the news in the main newspaper of the city today: ‘Belo Horizonte registered the lower temperature of year at this Monday (4) with 11.6ºC, at Cercadinho Climate Station, in Belvedere neighborhood, in the south-central region of Belo Horizonte. Before that, last Tuesday (28), the thermometers, also in Cercadinho, registered 12.6ºC.

According to the National Institute of Meteorology (Inmet), the cold should become even more intense with the arrival of a mass of polar air between Wednesday (6) and next Thursday (7), causing rapid rains and plummeting the temperature. In the coming days, new cold records should occur in the capital of Minas Gerais. This Monday (4), the district of 'Monte Verde', Camanducaia City, recorded the lowest temperature in the state, with 4ºC.’

The virus will like so much to know this. :indifferent:

The virus does not like the open air. So even if it is 12C or 4C (which is supposedly the best for this virus) if the room is well aired every hour even with some infected person(s) around, other people won't get infected.
Airing the rooms once an hour is rather a challenge though, especially if it is cool or cold outside.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...cs-analysis-shows/ar-BB13EQse?ocid=spartandhp

This article is kind of a no brainer. Of course the virus was spreading around the world before the "confirmed" cases. Which means since Late-November to mid-March, places like NYC had no measures in place to prevent the spread.

"At the most, 10% of the global population has been exposed to the virus, Balloux estimated."

Ergo, about 765,000,000 people have been infected.

This thread has been viewed 692687 times.

Back