Health New Coronavirus in China

^^This comes on the heels of a pronouncement by the WHO that a vaccine may never be found, and that, like HIV, it's something we might be able to manage, but not cure. Of course, having only protected sex or sex only with someone who has been tested is doable, but we have to breathe every second of our lives.

The upside is that these are the geniuses who told us it couldn't be transferred from person to person and people in the west shouldn't worry and shouldn't close down international flights.

Btw, what the heck is going on in Belgium? Why are there no articles explaining it?

Yes Angela. The virus is here to stay. Most likely the infections will be seasonal as the infections by flu virus, reaching peaks in the coldest months of the year. We urgently need a vaccine, which is expected to continue to develop, as just occur with vaccine of the flu, which each year is caused by a mutant strain of the virus.

How Hong Kong is keeping it out...

It goes without saying that you have to be masked.

Upon landing each passenger has to fill in a health declaration and a form agreeing to quarantine. You have to download an app so they can trace you (and someone calls your phone to make sure it works). You are then given an ankle bracelet which you have to wear for the same purpose.

After all of that you are taken to a separate hall where you watch a video on how to do the Covid test. You then go into a private booth and do it. You wait in the original hall until your results come back in eight hours. You can't leave until the results are in that you're negative.

Interestingly, you are made to hack up spit from the back of your throat for the test. They clearly believe the studies saying the nasal swabs, even the deep ones, are not as accurate.

Oh, and all the staff in the airport are practically in hazmat.

I guess this is what it takes.

too much noise, machines, electronics, aplication bracheletsetc,
Billy has already designed or manufactured the chip,

:81:

too much noise, machines, electronics, aplication bracheletsetc,
Billy has already designed or manufactured the chip,

:81:

If all countries adopted these measures at least until (hopefully) we have a vaccine, and that meant people could travel by plane again, then I'm all for the bracelets.

I'd happily get tested, and let them track my phone and wear an anklet if it meant I could go back to Italy without endangering anyone.

As for living in Hong Kong I'd take a pass.

If all countries adopted these measures at least until (hopefully) we have a vaccine, and that meant people could travel by plane again, then I'm all for the bracelets.

I'd happily get tested, and let them track my phone and wear an anklet if it meant I could go back to Italy without endangering anyone.

As for living in Hong Kong I'd take a pass.

'the at least until' is what makes me wonder.
and what after?
get rid the brachelet, aplications, etc etc?

'the at least until' is what makes me wonder.
and what after?
get rid the brachelet, aplications, etc etc?

For me, it would depend on whether we get a vaccine, and its efficacy. I get the influenza vaccine every year and sometimes I still get the flu. If the vaccine was like the one for measles, where it does protect you, then yes, I would hope countries would ditch the app and the bracelet.

I can tell you now, unless we descend into the third circle of hell, that won't happen in the U.S.

Enjoy these stream of conscious, unrelated musings:

**Could someone please link the video where the comedian George Carlin talks about germs? Such a genius, it's like he saw the whole thing coming.

**WHO suggesting virus will have to be managed and that vaccine may never come through... I said something similar earlier on this thread (although not an exact match). What if Corona virus doesn't ever full leave the body and therefore a vaccine would be pointless? Think herpes but for the lungs.

**I've been thinking, this virus will change the way we construct buildings going forward. I see more functional windows in our future, windows that are able to open to receive fresh air instead of current emphasis on forced air systems. Future building exteriors will jut in and out to allow for more surface area. There will be massive retrofits to re-introduce simple old-school windows on the sleek skyscrapers that crowd our cities. New commercial construction may even incorporate "fresh air tunnels" into larger projects.

**Could someone please link the video where the comedian George Carlin talks about germs? Such a genius, it's like he saw the whole thing coming.

**WHO suggesting virus will have to be managed and that vaccine may never come through... I said something similar earlier on this thread (although not an exact match). What if Corona virus doesn't ever full leave the body and therefore a vaccine would be pointless? Think herpes but for the lungs.

**I've been thinking, this virus will change the way we construct buildings going forward. I see more functional windows in our future, windows that are able to open to receive fresh air instead of current emphasis on forced air systems. Future building exteriors will jut in and out to allow for more surface area. There will be massive retrofits to re-introduce simple old-school windows on the sleek skyscrapers that crowd our cities. New commercial construction may even incorporate "fresh air tunnels" into larger projects.

I've been wondering if education will permanently change. As things stand now a four year college degree for one child is enough to bankrupt you, and in my opinion it's mostly just a status symbol anyway, as important for the socializing and contacts made as for learning. For a lot of students the whole first semester if not the first whole year is a waste, and as a parent, especially if your child takes a lot of liberal arts courses, they just come out brainwashed in terms of politics unless you've really spent a lot of time talking to them, and on top of that they're not trained for an actual job. Plus, as a lot of studies have shown, modern cultures so infantalize their children that they totally get lost that first year. Seventeen-nineteen are also prime years for mental health disorders to show up.

Far better for a lot of teenagers to learn a trade, as they do in Europe, and as for academic subjects, why not learn it from a lecture on the laptop. Maybe they'd concentrate more and actually learn something.

So, it wouldn't make me sad at all to see brick and mortar universities, with their totally out of line costs, become less important.

I've been wondering if education will permanently change. As things stand now a four year college degree for one child is enough to bankrupt you, and in my opinion it's mostly just a status symbol anyway, as important for the socializing and contacts made as for learning. For a lot of students the whole first semester if not the first whole year is a waste, and as a parent, especially if your child takes a lot of liberal arts courses, they just come out brainwashed in terms of politics unless you've really spent a lot of time talking to them, and on top of that they're not trained for an actual job. Plus, as a lot of studies have shown, modern cultures so infantalize their children that they totally get lost that first year. Seventeen-nineteen are also prime years for mental health disorders to show up.

Far better for a lot of teenagers to learn a trade, as they do in Europe, and as for academic subjects, why not learn it from a lecture on the laptop. Maybe they'd concentrate more and actually learn something.

So, it wouldn't make me sad at all to see brick and mortar universities, with their totally out of line costs, become less important.

I'm totally in agreement with the costs of education being totally out of whack with the rest of society. It will accelerate the already large gap between the 1% and the rest of society. I have long complained that there are a lot of courses in both undergraduate and professional education that are completely unnecessary in this era of specialization. They were necessary when an engineer or a lawyer or a doctor used to be a do it all but are unnecessary now. Particularly medical education in the US takes way too many years to produce even a GP (9 years). Most other countries you can go through in 6 years and there are very few schools in the US that offer a 6 year program. To produce a lawyer it takes 7 years in the US and it takes 3-4 in other countries. Again there are instances in the US where you can get your law degree in 5-6 years but those are very few and in between. I think there is an education industry in this country that safeguards their territory and wants you in their hold as long as possible.

I do agree nowadays a dedicated, motivated student can learn online from some of the better teachers, people that can communicate abstract ideas and concepts much better than others. I am still shivering when I remember taking college chemistry from a Polish professor whose English was so bad that gave up actually trying to learn Chemistry and I paid a considerable amount of money for copies of old exams. I made an A+ in that course without learning anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y-yH_Qyipc, RIP George Carlin, always enjoyed his comedy.

Eh, we don't have evidence of it retreating and residing in a tissue (in the case of Herpes simplex viruses they retreat into the ganglia and are quite good at immune system evasion). We'll have to wait until we have really fully figured this virus out. So far vaccine trials are showing positive results with macaques and other species.

It may change, but it also may change only for certain programs at post-secondary institutions, especially ones that are more theory driven when compared to other programs that have a more practical and hands-on delivery of the material. While online lectures are certainly better than nothing they are not perfect and definitely lack the same effect that one can get from physically being in the room with the professor. In some programs, especially here the hands-on learning component is so important that it outweighs the theory and a lot of programs had to modify or post-pone evaluations on practical skills until the fall (assuming they restart then), programs with placements have had to take their students out of placements until they are given the green light to begin again, it's a mess.

In regards to whether students can actually concentrate with online lectures or that they be able to concentrate more seems quite doubtful. Online lectures are usually delivered through a medium that shows who is present and you can simply leave that window open and go off and do whatever you want to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y-yH_Qyipc, RIP George Carlin, always enjoyed his comedy.

Eh, we don't have evidence of it retreating and residing in a tissue (in the case of Herpes simplex viruses they retreat into the ganglia and are quite good at immune system evasion). We'll have to wait until we have really fully figured this virus out. So far vaccine trials are showing positive results with macaques and other species.

It may change, but it also may change only for certain programs at post-secondary institutions, especially ones that are more theory driven when compared to other programs that have a more practical and hands-on delivery of the material. While online lectures are certainly better than nothing they are not perfect and definitely lack the same effect that one can get from physically being in the room with the professor. In some programs, especially here the hands-on learning component is so important that it outweighs the theory and a lot of programs had to modify or post-pone evaluations on practical skills until the fall (assuming they restart then), programs with placements have had to take their students out of placements until they are given the green light to begin again, it's a mess.

In regards to whether students can actually concentrate with online lectures or that they be able to concentrate more seems quite doubtful. Online lectures are usually delivered through a medium that shows who is present and you can simply leave that window open and go off and do whatever you want to do.

You're right, I was probably judging other people by myself and by the things I studied. Still, when exam time comes around, if you didn't pay attention it will definitely show in your grades. :)

The role of school and its degrees,

School and education has many roles, and many degrees,
Generally is divided to 3 or 4 degrees,
1) elementary basic number and calculation, intro to simple social behavour, etc etc, intro to the psycology of the team, socialization
2) the body era, the Gymnasium, basic is to learn and train your body, and mind, higher social socialization, and first contuct on what sciences are,
understanding your abilities, and make desicion for future,
3) the wolf pack era Lyceum, entering the psycology and sociology of different unit, and intro of specialization among practice jobs, science, etc etc
the young must learn that the wolf pack is not a sum of sum of same unit, he must be turned to a wolf, inside the wolf pack, that is society,
Desicion upon his future ends, Now chooses his future jobs, as also his future,

4) this level has 3 kind of results (faculties universities etc)
4.a) Homo Universitalis, University, science, specialization of science, but also universal aplied knowledge of world, from teachers, to MIT searchers
4.b) we called them πρακτικοι χειρονακτες, practical,hand works, from farmers to technicians and drivers
4.c) the merchants, the money producers, the ones whoturns wheel of economy, from entertainers to bankers, from ice cream sellers to gun sellers

How can kids and young teens, realize their social belong, how they will find their pack, their social groups, etc etc, from internet lessons?
how they learn each other if not gather same age kids to play, sing, fell, learn together?

Offcourse,
internet education can provide more than a bad teacher,
but we must not stop typical education system, which has also a social effect.

I'm totally in agreement with the costs of education being totally out of whack with the rest of society. It will accelerate the already large gap between the 1% and the rest of society. I have long complained that there are a lot of courses in both undergraduate and professional education that are completely unnecessary in this era of specialization. They were necessary when an engineer or a lawyer or a doctor used to be a do it all but are unnecessary now. Particularly medical education in the US takes way too many years to produce even a GP (9 years). Most other countries you can go through in 6 years and there are very few schools in the US that offer a 6 year program. To produce a lawyer it takes 7 years in the US and it takes 3-4 in other countries. Again there are instances in the US where you can get your law degree in 5-6 years but those are very few and in between. I think there is an education industry in this country that safeguards their territory and wants you in their hold as long as possible.

I do agree nowadays a dedicated, motivated student can learn online from some of the better teachers, people that can communicate abstract ideas and concepts much better than others. I am still shivering when I remember taking college chemistry from a Polish professor whose English was so bad that gave up actually trying to learn Chemistry and I paid a considerable amount of money for copies of old exams. I made an A+ in that course without learning anything.

I had some of the same kinds of experiences. The Intro to Psych Professor told us to get the book and study it. There would be one exam at the end of the term on it. His lectures would be on recent papers which gave some "nuances". A group of us paid one person to attend and take notes. The rest of the time I spent outlining and memorizing everything in the book. What the hell was I paying for?

One of my Greek classics professors was equally idiotic. We spent a very enjoyable semester discussing all the Greek plays. As you know, many playwrights wrote about the same events, with the same characters.

Right before finals he told us the exam would consist of 100 quotes. We had to give the play's author. HUH? I spent about 36 hours reading and re-reading the plays, right up until the last second before the exam. I paid for that?

I would have been fine with the "English" system as I understand it. Meet with your "tutor" once a week, and then go off and read and study.

Of course, as was pointed out, labs, actual work sessions would have to be in person, but lectures? Maybe for some people, but certainly not for me.

Eurasia Group President Ian Bremmer hit Jair Bolsonaro hard after Nelson Teich resigned from the Ministry of Health. He is the second holder of post of health minister to step down the department on this coronavirus’ pandemic crisis. Eurasia Group is a company that operates in the area of ​​political risk and has offices in other countries outside the United States, such as Brazil (in São Paulo), England and Japan.

o5kGgAa.jpg

Is this from Brazil typical reporter exaggeration?

Brazil is facing a humanitarian crisis unseen in the developed world. Cities running out of coffins. Lines 1,000 deep for an ICU bed. Ambulances racing around with nowhere to go, desperately looking for a free bed.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...-hospital-bed-capacity-ambulance/?arc404=true

Hi, Angela, Good Evening,

You have to look at Brazil with the eyes of someone who sees a very unequal country. There is a development gradient in Brazil. South, southeast and midwest with infrastructure and development far superior to those in the north and northeast of the country. The north of the country is Amazon region , where the health system has collapsed (Manaus and Belém do Pará). Companhia Vale do Rio Doce, the largest mining company in the world, is sending sick workers who were working in the states of Pará (north) and Maranhão (northeast) to be treated in the private hospitals network of the Metropolitan Region of Belo Horizonte and their families are staying hosted at the hotels of the city, including Mercury Hotels, from the Accor chain, which is causing apprehension among residents of BH. It is not yet possible to talk about a collapse in the South, Southeast and Midwest, but the situation is getting worse in the states of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. It is all the fault of this absolutely incompetent president.

Cheers.

Slovenia might be the first country in the world that declare end of Pandemia,

their R0 is almost non existing,

Considering the coming of Summer, they may be okay, but what will happen in October when the temperatures drop?

Considering the coming of Summer, they may be okay, but what will happen in October when the temperatures drop?

well, I can not answer that,
maybe declare again?

They've also said no quarantine will be applied to incoming people from the EU.

That seems incredibly dumb to me.

This thread has been viewed 692980 times.

Back