Health New Coronavirus in China

I hope these people are wrong... :(

I hope so too. But judging by the way people are reacting to the simple act of wearing a mask, I won't be surprised in the slightest if it does last longer than we are ready for.

I hope so too. But judging by the way people are reacting to the simple act of wearing a mask, I won't be surprised in the slightest if it does last longer than we are ready for.

Just wait till the vaccine comes out, and how many loons will refuse to take it. Even after all of the safety precautions will be met.

It certainly isn’t going away in the States!

Of course, leadership does make a difference. Try looking at the chart in:

The State of the Unions
by Felix Richter, Aug 10, 2020

When the European Union reopened its borders to non-members on July 1, the United States found itself on the list of countries excluded from the lifting of travel restrictions. Due to its failure to control the spread of the novel coronavirus, the U.S. didn't meet the criteria applied by the bloc’s member states, which also keep travelers from Russia and Brazil, among others, from entering the EU.Last month, the European Commission had recommended the gradual reopening of EU borders for external visitors on July 1, saying that “international travel is key for tourism and business, and for family and friends reconnecting.

While we will all have to remain careful, the time has come to make concrete preparations for lifting restrictions with countries whose health situation is similar to the EU's.” The Commission advised member states to keep restrictions in place “for countries whose situation is worse than in the EU,” a criterium the U.S. sadly but doubtlessly meets at the moment.
As the following chart, based on data from Johns Hopkins University, illustrates, the trend of daily new COVID-19 cases has taken completely different trajectories for the U.S. and the European Union. While cases in the U.S. started surging in mid-June, the outbreak appeared to be under control in the EU. Nearly six weeks into the reopening of its borders to international travelers, the European Union is also seeing new infections rise again - a painful reminder that the pandemic isn't over just yet.

Sorry, I can’t post any links yet but see below.

Not good news from Asia. Man who had Covid in April and recovered was re-infected during a vacation in Spain from a slightly different version of the virus.

The only good news is that he was asymptomatic the second time.

Of course, he's still contagious.

Also, what does that say about whether a vaccine once would cover all bases globally, or even for one year in one area.

This is very disheartening. If true, it would mean herd immunity might not work. It would also mean we might be doomed to wearing masks and social distancing, no restaurants or big events for years.

I read that Northeastern University is going to test its students every three days. Is this the future, or just accepting that people over 60 will have to live in purdah of a sort for years, and younger people genetically susceptible to bad cases of it are just going to get very sick or die?

My God, they really did break the world.

Well it may not be that bad Angela, perhaps COVID will be like simple cold after some time (years, I mean). It will still be here, but people won't get very sick from it, once they got through with it once.

Well it may not be that bad Angela, perhaps COVID will be like simple cold after some time (years, I mean). It will still be here, but people won't get very sick from it, once they got through with it once.

Thanks for the note of hope, Dagne. I sincerely hope you're right. I do miss concerts in particular, and meeting my friends for lunch.

I am also seriously pining for Italy. It's never been this long since I've been there; usually it's twice a year at least. I also have bucket list trips I still haven't done; one is a literary tour of England. I've been planning it for years. I also have never been to Israel, and I very much want to go, and after all this genetics talk, to Anatolia/Turkey. :)

Thanks for the note of hope, Dagne. I sincerely hope you're right. I do miss concerts in particular, and meeting my friends for lunch.

I am also seriously pining for Italy. It's never been this long since I've been there; usually it's twice a year at least. I also have bucket list trips I still haven't done; one is a literary tour of England. I've been planning it for years. I also have never been to Israel, and I very much want to go, and after all this genetics talk, to Anatolia/Turkey. :)

Very good plans, Angela! I think the world will be open again in some three years - let's say from 2023-24; Before that there will be opportunities to travel to some countries on some periods - at least in Europe, borders are not closed, or they keep on opening and closing them from time to time. I think governments will develop some universal criteria when it is more or less safe to open borders and allow travel, and what kind of precautions we should use. I don't feel much social distancing in Lithuania, for instance. Yes, we have to wear masks while in public places inside (like when shopping or in public transport). Concerts and other kind of gatherings are taking place, too. At this point it is quite safe in Italy, too, for instance. Of course, situation can hardly get better during winter period, so I am prepared for that... But then there will be spring time, and situation will improve again. Besides, people are good about adapting, and we all will get used to new reality, and perhaps won't notice some restrictions too much.
So far, at this point, it is good time to dream about our travels and prepare for that in terms of finances, or perhaps learning something on in-depth level/reading some books. I think life is good anyways.

But why are you not meeting your friends for lunch? Is everything still closed where you are?

Very good plans, Angela! I think the world will be open again in some three years - let's say from 2023-24; Before that there will be opportunities to travel to some countries on some periods - at least in Europe, borders are not closed, or they keep on opening and closing them from time to time. I think governments will develop some universal criteria when it is more or less safe to open borders and allow travel, and what kind of precautions we should use. I don't feel much social distancing in Lithuania, for instance. Yes, we have to wear masks while in public places inside (like when shopping or in public transport). Concerts and other kind of gatherings are taking place, too. At this point it is quite safe in Italy, too, for instance. Of course, situation can hardly get better during winter period, so I am prepared for that... But then there will be spring time, and situation will improve again. Besides, people are good about adapting, and we all will get used to new reality, and perhaps won't notice some restrictions too much.
So far, at this point, it is good time to dream about our travels and prepare for that in terms of finances, or perhaps learning something on in-depth level/reading some books. I think life is good anyways.

But why are you not meeting your friends for lunch? Is everything still closed where you are?

Most of the ones we liked for indoor dining are either closed or there's like three or four tables set up. It makes most of my friends feel "weird" and unsafe just to be in an environment like that.

There's outdoor dining at some places, but it also seems "weird" if you know what I mean. The tables are spread very wide apart, waiters all masked. It's like you can't forget it and just relax. We do occasionally meet at two dockside restaurants we like. We sit practically on top of the water and go when the wind is blowing toward us. I can't go very long without my moules with French fries! :)
BentRecipe_010915A.jpg

The Museums are opening up a bit so that helps too. That was one of our favorite things to do: take the train into the city, have an early lunch, and then go to the museum exhibit we chose to see. Or, we'd go to a theater matinee.

It's as if so many of the things which made being close to New York City so wonderful were taken away.
search

.... blame the real culprit:

In the beginning ... China forbade internal travel in and out of Wuhan area, but it allowed Worldwide travel in and out from Wuhan.

China didn’t care, and maybe it did it in purpose !!!

... no misleading ... we were all aware of the danger, ... there’s nothing wrong for World Leaders to prevent panic and chaos (Balanced Optimism) !

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...nally-for-covid-19-but-pushed-foreign-travel/

Last edited:
.... blame the real culprit:

In the beginning ... China forbade internal travel in and out of Wuhan area, but it allowed Worldwide travel in and out from Wuhan.

China didn’t care, and maybe it did it in purpose !!!

... no misleading ... we were all aware of the danger, ... there’s nothing wrong for World Leaders to prevent panic and chaos (Balanced Optimism) !

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...nally-for-covid-19-but-pushed-foreign-travel/

Quite simple Salento: POTUS speaks and acts double tongued.

'Balanced Optimism' = At the expense of nearly 200.000 corona dead ...balance!?

Our campaign is a chain of applause made words by personalities from the world of Science,
Art and Culture that send their encouragement and gratitude to Health professionals and so many groups that are currently risking their lives for others.

It is an initiative of Rocaviva Eventos and the Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria Hospital 12 de Octubre i + 12

I extend it to the whole world. Hope is the last thing you lose.

... got the new flu shot couple of days ago, ... side effects: one day FEVER (not cool) ... OK now :)

... got the new flu shot couple of days ago, ... side effects: one day FEVER (not cool) ... OK now :)

I wish you health friend Salento. The fever indicates that your immune system has been stimulated by vaccine to produce antibodies. (y)

I wish you health friend Salento. The fever indicates that your immune system has been stimulated by vaccine to produce antibodies. (y)

Thanks Duarte, I hope you’re OK and COVID-19 is just a Memory.

The last time I got “stimulated” that bad by a Vaccine was when I got a shot in the chest :petrified: (Italian Army thing)

Thanks Duarte, I hope you’re OK and COVID-19 is just a Memory.

The last time I got “stimulated” that bad by a Vaccine was when I got a shot in the chest :petrified: (Italian Army thing)

:petrified::embarassed: Thanks Salento. I'm fine now. I even took a plane trip. From the 2nd to the 11th of this month of September I was in the city of Vitória, capital of the State of Espírito Santo. It is already a great evolution. (y)

This thread has been viewed 695588 times.

Back