Health New Coronavirus in China

I found this on internet,
Do not know if it is correct
I think it is worth to see it
But I keep my precautions concerning Arabia Corona infection

1.jpg

My wife and I drink a martini every afternoon for the same reason . . . haven't been sick once in the last 10 years! Don't argue with science.

Sometimes you need a little common sense and reasoning ability as well as listening to "authorities".

I remember my mother telling me how she was so anxious when we first moved here that she couldn't sleep. She asked her doctor if she could take some medication, and this was a woman who hated taking pills. He said to take a glass of wine instead. :)

Of course, I wasn't advising anyone to lock themselves in with a crate of vodka and drink themselves insensible. :) That may be how some people would react, but not us.

As for salt water gargles, doctors also recommend that.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't be washing our hands and keeping the surfaces disinfected, also "old time" remedies, btw.

Oh, fwiw, my mother also told me that a sudden jolt of cold air could lead to illness. I pooh-pood her for YEARS, and never took any account of it. Within the last few years I've seen papers finding that a "sudden" decrease in temperature can lower the immune system a bit.

I've been an amateur cook and student of cooking for decades, and I've discovered that all of the rules which chefs (and fabulous home cooks like my mother) have devised for the optimum outcome actually have a lot of science, particularly chemistry, behind them.

The people who created those recipes didn't know that; they just knew, after hundreds and hundreds of years of trial and error, what "worked" and what didn't.

In the same way, people boiled willow bark because they had figured out it lowered fever. They didn't know that it contains the active ingredient in aspirin; they just knew it worked.

I suppose it's analogous to how people "invented" farming, or metallurgy, or the wheel.

Not saying this can't all go astray. The Chinese have long believed that a powder made out of dried pangolin "skin" is good for arthritis, among other things. Even if it's true, which I don't know one way or another, given how many diseases certain animals can harbor, including bats, who are also used for medications, it's not worth the risk.

I think I'm going to take that old GPs advice, and yours: 1 drink before bed. :) Maybe I'll fall asleep easier too.

There many people who don't have savings and need to work to make a living how is this all going to end if isolation is needed for months?

89787007_10158141401037436_2799673371040677888_n.jpg

Time for some some humor :).

View attachment 11872

Time for some some humor :).

LOL. I like jokes a lot. It helps us to relieve the stress of quarantine, and laughing is good for health. At least, for a few seconds, we feel lighter in the face of all that is afflicting us. As long as we have the humor, we still have the life ;) [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Sorry to disappoint, ihype.

There's reason to hope the numbers are turning down in Italy. You can't look at absolute numbers; you have to look at the trajectory. Let's hope this is correct, right, Ihype???
px7Fdmj.png

My God, what's wrong with some of you people? You can't let go of your resentments, past slights, or prejudices even now?

I'd also suggest that anyone who believes China's numbers, given that doctors who warned about it in December were punished, is perhaps being pretty gullible.

Global trajectories:
9agIxY0.png

I still think masks versus no masks is part of the answer. Get back in there, COVID 19 team, and fast track the manufacture of good masks as well as tests. This is a no brainer. While you're at it, start the process for producing our own antibiotics. We should never have to endure threats from China or anyone else about this. It will be good for jobs too.

NEW: Illinois has joined Ohio in ordering the closure of all bars and restaurants for inside dining.

Good. Young people were partying last night in all the pubs and clubs in New York. They just don't get it. They'll be fine, but grandma and grandpa, or maybe even mom and dad won't necessarily fare the same.

When panic sets in, people don't think. U.S. citizens in Europe panicked and booked flight after flight home. Sound familiar? They clearly didn't think through the fact they'd wind up in this.
O'Hare
111264912_christinaclancyohareairport.jpg

China
AR-301229837.jpg&updated=202001222239&MaxW=900&maxH=900&noborder&Q=80

They would have done better to stay in Europe for a week or so.

Dr. Fauci can say all he wants that they're being told to self-isolate for 14 days. Will they? Is it long enough? I think the latter is definitely too short a period looking at some of the data. Some in the U.S. are taking the approach to their citizens that some in Europe wanted to take, i.e. don't accept even your own nationals. Let the host countries deal with it.

Viva Espania!

Let's not forget our humanity and our sense of gratitude in the middle of all of this.

Saw a joke from a 70 year old.

I've scrubbed my hands so much I can now see the answers I wrote down for tests as a teenager. :)

As you say, Duarte: joke, sing, love, celebrate our humanity. What is life without those things?

@Angela
Out of curiosity, my maternal grandfather loved eating fat. I saw him separating the fat from the meat in a peace of "carne lessa" in agnolini (cappeletti) soup, then eating the fat and giving the meat to his cat. Lol He was illiterate, and once said that "wine takes the strenght out of fat", this way, or that "wine weakens the fat", in other words. We found it pretty funny, and we told this story many times as a kind of anecdote. Till I read about a new study that showed that wine could decrease the absorption of fat. I immediately remembered what my grandfather said. :)

But he also said that "vino rosso fa sangue". I'm still waiting some study evidences it. ah ah ah He also had sense of humor, and used to say that olive oil is good for our joints. :)

@Angela
Out of curiosity, my maternal grandfather loved eating fat. I saw him separating the fat from the meat in a peace of "carne lessa" in agnolini (cappeletti) soup, then eating the fat and giving the meat to his cat. Lol He was illiterate, and once said that "wine takes the strenght out of fat", this way, or that "wine weakened the fat", in other words. We found it pretty funny, and we told this story many times as a kind of anecdote. Till I read about a new study that showed that wine could decrease the absorption of fat. I immediately remembered what my grandfather said. :)

But he also said that "vino rosso fa sangue". I'm still waiting some study evidences it. ah ah ah He also had sense of humor, and used to say that olive oil is good for our joints. :)

He was right about red wine when you consume animal fat, and I think he may be right that "vino rosso fa sangue". (We say that, and also "pan e vin fan un bel fantin": bread and wine make a beautiful baby. :))

You can find studies on it. Some say alcohol, even social drinking, can damage the bone marrow where red blood cells are made, but studies of red wine in particular show that it helps with anemia. Obviously, other than a few old men, I never knew any alcoholics, so this means a small glass or two with a meal, not getting drunk every day.

All I know is that one reason we are getting so hard hit in this Covid 19 crisis is that we have SO MANY people not just over 65, but over 80 and 90, and 80 and 90 year olds who are still functioning pretty well in most cases. Indeed, I don't think the country could function without the nonni. Going by my own family, a lot of Italians are still averse to putting their children in "daycare", even when it's available, which it often isn't. The grandmothers and grandfathers watch the children, prepare the evening meal, and sometimes even a lunch, and sometimes put in a load of wash too.

They themselves believe that their diet, rich in red wine, olive oil, fish, leafy green vegetables and fruits, and relatively low in red meat, accounts for it, along with having a strong, satisfying and supportive family structure. I'd add that they also do a lot of walking.

There are other "blue zones" in the world, of course. Here is one in Greece. I want to steal her. :)

I do think he may be wrong in one particular: I think genetics may be a part of it.

Specifically as concerns olive oil, on a living with arthritis website, it says:
"Researchers say that about 3 1/2 Tbsp. of the oil is equal to a 200-mg tablet of ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is widely used to help control pain and inflammation. But serious side effects can occur if it's used for more than 10 days."

Also...
"Olive oil seems particularly beneficial when combined with fish oil, a source of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids. In one study, olive and fish oil significantly improved handgrip strength, joint pain and morning stiffness in people with rheumatoid arthritis."

It's not a one ingredient deal. It's the whole package, the whole diet and the life style as well.

There many people who don't have savings and need to work to make a living how is this all going to end if isolation is needed for months?

That's a very big complication ihype02, they most probably go to their work and try to hide their sickness etc etc. This spreads the virus further. But most of all these people when becoming sick are most probably going to 'criple in the gutter'. Tragedy.

Οκ

i Do not know how things are in your country,
But No 'fired' is allowed for a long time,

So those who were employed no problem
those who were not employed before Corona they take their state help
those who never worked or never payed insurance stamps, hmmm

Οκ

i Do not know how things are in your country,
But No 'fired' is allowed for a long time,

So those who were employed no problem
those who were not employed before Corona they take their state help
those who never worked or never payed insurance stamps, hmmm

I guess this in the world a wider problem.....the situation of the working poor is in different countries very vulnerable for the corona crisis.

My impression is that the corona crisis is going to lead to a kind of sanitary movement 2.0.
The urge to take (pragmatic) measures is big. Partly because this is in everyones advantage.....also of the middle and upper middle class and the elite, when certain part of the populations are extra vulnerable and keep sick (because they can't afford health care and/or have a bad health) this is going to keep the circulation of corona alive. Even resorts or gated communities can't prevent this (because of the services done by employees for example).
Good health care for the general public incl. the working poor is going to be an important theme.

Sanitary movement 1.0:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cba7di0eL8I

Given that the virus propagates in the throat, I've been taking a judicious amount of alcohol every so often.

Katherine Hepburn once told a story about the time she was making "The African Queen" on location. She said she was constantly ill, but Bogie and Huston weren't ever sick. She attributed it to the fact that they were constantly drinking. :)

When we didn't have modern medicine, they used alcohol and salt water. I have started to do the same. As I said, a judicious drink every once in a while, and gargle with salt water.

I wouldn't drink alcohol against a virus. This only weakens the immune system and add additional stress to your body if you are already fighting an infection. It takes 70% alcohol to kill the coronavirus and there is no way you can drink that without damaging your GI tract. Furthermore if you already have fever, it means that the virus has spread to your bloodstream and all over your body, so drinking alcohol won't make it better.

Alcohol and salt water are ok against some bacterial infections, but there aren't the best either. Sodium bicarbonate works better and is healthier. For viruses there is nothing better than a lot of rest as only the immune system can fight them.

I found the number of people tested for Covid-19 in each country. There is a link to the national site for each country. Combined with the daily data from Wikipedia we can get a better idea of the percentage of the population that is infected by calculating the percentage of positive vs negative cases and see the evolution over time.

Here is for the data for the USA. Unfortunately there is a 6-day lag for the number of people tested.

- March 7 : 1497 people tested, among whom 100 positive => 6.7% of tested people positive
- March 8 : 1453 people tested, among whom 143 positive => 9.8% of tested people positive
- March 9 : 2712 people tested, among whom 148 positive => 5.4% of tested people positive
- March 10 : 3019 people tested, among whom 289 positive => 9.6% of tested people positive
- March 11 : 3552 people tested, among whom 271 positive => 7.6% of tested people positive
- March 12 : 4542 people tested, among whom 395 positive => 8.7% of tested people positive
- March 13 : 4687 people tested, among whom 565 positive => 12.1% of tested people positive

Data for Japan

- March 12 : 1855 people tested, among whom 55 positive => 3% of tested people positive
- March 16 : 3416 people tested, among whom 15 positive => 0.4% of tested people positive

Data for South Korea

- March 12 : 12,603 people tested, among whom 114 positive => 0.9% of tested people positive
- March 13 : 13,649 people tested, among whom 110 positive => 0.8% of tested people positive
- March 14 : 12,688 people tested, among whom 107 positive => 0.8% of tested people positive
- March 15 : 6877 people tested, among whom 76 positive => 1.1% of tested people positive
- March 16 : 6292 people tested, among whom 74 positive => 1.2% of tested people positive
- March 17 : 12,212 people tested, among whom 84 positive => 0.69% of tested people positive

Last edited:
I wouldn't drink alcohol against a virus. This only weakens the immune system and add additional stress to your body if you are already fighting an infection. It takes 70% alcohol to kill the coronavirus and there is no way you can drink that without damaging your GI tract. Furthermore if you already have fever, it means that the virus has spread to your bloodstream and all over your body, so drinking alcohol won't make it better.

Alcohol and salt water are ok against some bacterial infections, but there aren't the best either. Sodium bicarbonate works better and is healthier. For viruses there is nothing better than a lot of rest as only the immune system can fight them.

I agree with alcool,
Although I am drinking 1-2 times per week 1glass max
But 'Living' wine is different,
Living wine is full of bacteria etc etc, which enter straight your blood,
Living wine we call the wine with almost no presarvatives, and not boiled,
usually 'lives' till end of February, then turns to the vinegar prossecion

@ Angela

Notice the difference

grublind the Charos (Death deity)

old ladies, learned about coronavirus prefers about age,
out in Balkony singing Mr Death came prowing (Alternative Death set trap in my neighbourhood)

Mister Death came prowling, prowling the streets
of my own neighbourhood
and from too much reckoning
he lost count...

SHUT UP

he went to the balcony to sing, and the neighbour answered, Yo SHUT UP

MY Little oil lamp is burning down.
another favorite song for today balconies
As you see philoshopy is different

Air pollution surely increase mortality risk (among the elderly). If so, then smoking cigarettes should also be a major factor. I wouldn't be surprised if heavy smoking were more aggravating than factors like diabetes or cardiovascular disease. In Europe, it is the Balkans and Eastern Europe that have the highest percentage of smokers.

jm-0.jpg

But some countries like Belgium and Czechia appear to have lots of heavy smokers. Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands have about the same percentage of smokers, but Belgians buy 1000 more cigarettes (2/3 more) per year.

cigarette-consumption.jpg

Or maybe it's just because cigarettes are cheaper in Belgium and more foreigners buy them there? Official stats show that Belgium only has 7.7% of heavy male smokers, against 17.4% for Croatia, 19.5% for Bulgaria, 20.4% for Cyprus or 21.3% for Greece.

Proportion_of_daily_smokers_of_cigarettes_by_sex_and_level_of_consumption%2C_2014_%28%25_persons_aged_15_and_over%29.png

Here is for the USA. Smoking is more common in the same states as those in the 3 high risk factors map posted above.

cigarette%20smokers%20per%20state.jpg

This thread has been viewed 696599 times.

Back