Health New Coronavirus in China

He was right about red wine when you consume animal fat, and I think he may be right that "vino rosso fa sangue". (We say that, and also "pan e vin fan un bel fantin": bread and wine make a beautiful baby. :))

You can find studies on it. Some say alcohol, even social drinking, can damage the bone marrow where red blood cells are made, but studies of red wine in particular show that it helps with anemia. Obviously, other than a few old men, I never knew any alcoholics, so this means a small glass or two with a meal, not getting drunk every day.

All I know is that one reason we are getting so hard hit in this Covid 19 crisis is that we have SO MANY people not just over 65, but over 80 and 90, and 80 and 90 year olds who are still functioning pretty well in most cases. Indeed, I don't think the country could function without the nonni. Going by my own family, a lot of Italians are still averse to putting their children in "daycare", even when it's available, which it often isn't. The grandmothers and grandfathers watch the children, prepare the evening meal, and sometimes even a lunch, and sometimes put in a load of wash too.

They themselves believe that their diet, rich in red wine, olive oil, fish, leafy green vegetables and fruits, and relatively low in red meat, accounts for it, along with having a strong, satisfying and supportive family structure. I'd add that they also do a lot of walking.

There are other "blue zones" in the world, of course. Here is one in Greece. I want to steal her. :)

I do think he may be wrong in one particular: I think genetics may be a part of it.

Specifically as concerns olive oil, on a living with arthritis website, it says:
"Researchers say that about 3 1/2 Tbsp. of the oil is equal to a 200-mg tablet of ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is widely used to help control pain and inflammation. But serious side effects can occur if it's used for more than 10 days."

Also...
"Olive oil seems particularly beneficial when combined with fish oil, a source of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids. In one study, olive and fish oil significantly improved handgrip strength, joint pain and morning stiffness in people with rheumatoid arthritis."

It's not a one ingredient deal. It's the whole package, the whole diet and the life style as well.
Wow! Didn't know that. So it has some sense after all. I always thought it was a joke, still, he possibly meant it, which would explain why he used to take a bit of olive oil in a glass, at morning and on an empty stomach.
I did know red wine could be good for anemia, but I haven't done the link between this fact and the phrase. It makes sense.
As for the wine decreasing the absorption of fat, it's red wine, right? His concept seems ok, however, he used to drink more white wine than red wine, so he possibly missed this detail. Indeed, if I recall correctly, he used to say "vino rosso fa sangue" also to justify his preference for white wine. The other way he expressed the idea was something like "red wine thickens blood" - which seemed a "negative" thing. On the other hand, paternal grandfather preferred red wine - as myself -, afaik. (Straw cigarette killed him way before my birth, so we haven't met, unfortunately.)

"Pan e vin fa un bel putin." ah ah ah Excellent! :-D

Thanks for the interesting video! That island resembles Sardinia in lifestyle. Our "Italian version" brings together those elements too, and it's also known by its longevity.

An Italian hospital ran out of ICU valves. A local biz brought a 3D printer to the hospital, redesigned & produced the valves in a few hours. “At the time of writing, 10 patients are accompanied in breathing by a machine that uses a 3D printed valve.”

Here, the FDA would try to shut it down, and tort lawyers would be licking their chops thinking of the lawsuits to come. However, if you have patients who are going to die, then all bets are off.

Human ingenuity always inspires me.

@Yetos,
I love their spirit.

Maybe the singer on the balcony was terrible? :) Or maybe we're made differently. Dio ci fa cosi. Napoli:

Check out this nonna at 2:33! Love, love, love her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onsulM0mgi4

Sorry to disappoint, ihype.

There's reason to hope the numbers are turning down in Italy. You can't look at absolute numbers; you have to look at the trajectory. Let's hope this is correct, right, Ihype???
px7Fdmj.png

My God, what's wrong with some of you people? You can't let go of your resentments, past slights, or prejudices even now?

I'd also suggest that anyone who believes China's numbers, given that doctors who warned about it in December were punished, is perhaps being pretty gullible.

Global trajectories:
9agIxY0.png

I still think masks versus no masks is part of the answer. Get back in there, COVID 19 team, and fast track the manufacture of good masks as well as tests. This is a no brainer. While you're at it, start the process for producing our own antibiotics. We should never have to endure threats from China or anyone else about this. It will be good for jobs too.

NEW: Illinois has joined Ohio in ordering the closure of all bars and restaurants for inside dining.

Good. Young people were partying last night in all the pubs and clubs in New York. They just don't get it. They'll be fine, but grandma and grandpa, or maybe even mom and dad won't necessarily fare the same.

When panic sets in, people don't think. U.S. citizens in Europe panicked and booked flight after flight home. Sound familiar? They clearly didn't think through the fact they'd wind up in this.
O'Hare
111264912_christinaclancyohareairport.jpg

China
AR-301229837.jpg&updated=202001222239&MaxW=900&maxH=900&noborder&Q=80

They would have done better to stay in Europe for a week or so.

Dr. Fauci can say all he wants that they're being told to self-isolate for 14 days. Will they? Is it long enough? I think the latter is definitely too short a period looking at some of the data. Some in the U.S. are taking the approach to their citizens that some in Europe wanted to take, i.e. don't accept even your own nationals. Let the host countries deal with it.

Viva Espania!

Let's not forget our humanity and our sense of gratitude in the middle of all of this.

I didn't have any xenophobic intentions. I really hope things get better for everyone.

They may have to do this everywhere, and enforce it. The Nassau County Executive was just on the news saying some bars were five deep again last night.

@Ihype,
Thank you.

The governor of NJ is announcing a 8pm-5am curfew throughout the whole state.

... went to Walgreens (pharmacy), ... 0 Antibacterial stuff, got Hibiclens instead, and NatGeo ‘Atlas of the Roman World’ (30 maps) cool, lol

3r3cclq.jpg

I think that many people are not aware of Hibiclens (... near the band-aids area), unless I’m overestimating its effect.

Sorry to disappoint, ihype.

There's reason to hope the numbers are turning down in Italy. You can't look at absolute numbers; you have to look at the trajectory. Let's hope this is correct, right, Ihype???
px7Fdmj.png

My God, what's wrong with some of you people? You can't let go of your resentments, past slights, or prejudices even now?

I'd also suggest that anyone who believes China's numbers, given that doctors who warned about it in December were punished, is perhaps being pretty gullible.

Global trajectories:
9agIxY0.png

I still think masks versus no masks is part of the answer. Get back in there, COVID 19 team, and fast track the manufacture of good masks as well as tests. This is a no brainer. While you're at it, start the process for producing our own antibiotics. We should never have to endure threats from China or anyone else about this. It will be good for jobs too.

NEW: Illinois has joined Ohio in ordering the closure of all bars and restaurants for inside dining.

Good. Young people were partying last night in all the pubs and clubs in New York. They just don't get it. They'll be fine, but grandma and grandpa, or maybe even mom and dad won't necessarily fare the same.

When panic sets in, people don't think. U.S. citizens in Europe panicked and booked flight after flight home. Sound familiar? They clearly didn't think through the fact they'd wind up in this.
O'Hare
111264912_christinaclancyohareairport.jpg

China
AR-301229837.jpg&updated=202001222239&MaxW=900&maxH=900&noborder&Q=80

They would have done better to stay in Europe for a week or so.

Dr. Fauci can say all he wants that they're being told to self-isolate for 14 days. Will they? Is it long enough? I think the latter is definitely too short a period looking at some of the data. Some in the U.S. are taking the approach to their citizens that some in Europe wanted to take, i.e. don't accept even your own nationals. Let the host countries deal with it.

Viva Espania!

Let's not forget our humanity and our sense of gratitude in the middle of all of this.

An add in the headlines today the doctors in Brabant, the Dutch corona hoard, say that a substantial part of the corona patients are beneath 50.......

Sent from my iPad using Eupedia Forum

... went to Walgreens (pharmacy), ... 0 Antibacterial stuff, got Hibiclens instead, and NatGeo ‘Atlas of the Roman World’ (30 maps) cool, lol

3r3cclq.jpg

I think that many people are not aware of Hibiclens (... near the band-aids area), unless I’m overestimating its effect.

I don't know about its effect, Salento, but if you have bleach, 3 tablespoons in a gallon of water works. You can then funnel it into spray bottles. Can't be used on some surfaces of course, but our main living area is mostly tile and granite and stainless steel. Might do a bit of damage on door handles but what the hell...

(I want to check on the Hibiclens too.)

Try amazon. Some things aren't available now but "supposedly" will be available mid-April, and I somehow think that we're going to be feeling the effects of this for longer than we thought.

I also got dried beans easily although they may be gone now, and raw nuts. If it comes to it I'm going to be eating a lot of pasta fagioli and lentil soup. There was salt pork at the market too, and a huge can of Filippo Berio oil.

In a direct TV speech to the nation, what is very exceptional the last time was 47 years ago, the Dutch prime minister held a very decisive speech.

He made very clear that the government chooses for a guided, controlled spread of the virus. In order to avoid a peak. In the end 50/60% get the virus but when guided we can create herd immunity. The other options complet lock down or uncontrolled spread are not preferred. He made a demand on the nation to look after each other.

Besides that the government has already announced a 'virus war chest' an economic investment fund in response to the corona crisis, the budget is 90 billion euro (on the scale of the US this is equivalent to 1800 bilion euro or $2010 billion).

Hopefully this an adequate response because we are facing now the same as China and Italy before.....

Thanks Angela :)

After SARS and H1N1, Singapore built a robust system for tracking and containing epidemics. That system helped it "flatten the curve" and save lives. This is what other countries with #Covid19 can learn from them. Europe and the US, take note

Didn't they turn into a "mask culture" too after SARS?

IMO, if more than 50% of people are contagious but completely asymptomatic as the VO study showed is indeed the case, then not only do you want to test, test, test, you want to mask, mask, mask. The masks are cheaper than the tests, would be less complicated to mass manufacture, and you don't need to wait for results or do time consuming tracking. Ever since SARS they've been selling masks in street dispensers in some areas.

Re-tool and ramp up those damn factories.

Of course you should definitely be doing the testing and tracking, for those with difficulties with reading comprehension.

Wake up to #COVIDー19 : This morning’s papers report from Lombardy that they are close to the point of no return. They are admitting 85 people per day into intensive care; they are discharging only 2 or 3. They are frantically creating new bed spaces but can't keep up with influx

Wake up to #COVIDー19 : This morning’s papers report from Lombardy that they are close to the point of no return. They are admitting 85 people per day into intensive care; they are discharging only 2 or 3. They are frantically creating new bed spaces but can't keep up with influx

Sad, and we are in the same boat. At the end I am afraid will prevail the natural selection....

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

This thread has been viewed 699360 times.

Back