Health New Coronavirus in China

Is there no filter on those?

I would certainly hope so, but apparently with some ventilator models it's not adequate with this virus if they're measuring this incredible viral load in the air.

That's besides the fact that some of these patients are in a panic, and ripping tubes out.

No wonder so many doctors died in China and Italy.

The problem is larger, I think. This may not be a disease ICU doctors have ever seen before,i.e. it isn't really pneumonia.

More and more doctors are starting to think it's more like high altitude sickness than a "normal" interstitial pneumonia.

See the link below...
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/928156#vp_2

"[FONT=proxima_nova_rgbold]Whyte: [/FONT][FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][From Luciano] Gattinoni. Were you aware of what was going on in Italy before you noticed these observations or did that come after the fact?[/FONT][FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][FONT=proxima_nova_rgbold]Kyle-Sidell: [/FONT]That came a little bit after. And I wasn't aware. I can't even remember the exact timeline. But in my reading, I came upon decompression, pulmonary sickness, which is essentially the bends—when divers dive and come up too quickly—which seemed to mirror the clinical picture of these patients. And in discussions of other people, it came up that they do appear similar clinically. This is not to say that the pathophysiology underlying it is similar, but clinically they look a lot more like high-altitude sickness than they do pneumonia. Regarding, Gattinoni, he published something on March 20th, which was about 2 days before I opened the ICU. I don't know that I read it then, but somehow it got passed around. In my mind, by the time I read what he was saying, I'd come under the impression that this just wasn't what we were used to seeing. It was a high-compliance disease, which every pulmonologist had. Anyone managing a ventilator can see. That's not a question. So when I read his stuff, where he is suggesting that the management strategy that we use is essentially somewhat flipped, at least in these high-compliant patients, it just became more clear that that if we operate under a paradigm whereby we are treating ARDS in these high-compliant patients, we may not be operating under the right paradigm."

"First, I'll describe what Gattinoni was saying, which is that really what we're seeing in ARDS are two different phenotypes: one in which the lungs display what you call high compliance, low elastance; and one in which they have low compliance and high elastance. To say it simply for people who are not pulmonologists, if you think of the lungs as a balloon, typically when people have ARDS or pneumonia, the balloon gets thicker. So not only do you lack oxygen, but the pressure and the work to blow up the balloon becomes greater. So one's respiratory muscles become tired as they struggle to breathe. And patients need pressure. What Gattinoni is saying is that there are essentially two different phenotypes, one in which the balloon is thicker, which is a low-compliance disease. But in the beginning they display high compliance. Imagine if the balloon is not actually thicker but thinner, so they'd suffer from a lack of oxygen. But it is not that they suffer from too much work to blow up the balloon. As far as how we're going to switch, we're going to take our approach differently from the traditional ARDSnet protocol in that we are going to do an oxygen-first strategy: We're going to leave the oxygen levels as high as possible and we're going to try to use the lowest pressures possible to try to keep the oxygen levels high. That's the approach we're going to do, so long as the patients continue to display the physiology of a low elastance, high-compliance disease."

So, what they've started doing in Italy is using these CPAC hoods, but not ventilating.

Whether it's correct or not only time will tell, I guess.

Maybe we should be halving the orders for ventilators and getting these made too[/FONT]

ivermectin injectable
Do not try it.

oh, this tests,
offcourse, at every job requirements are needed.
as concerns temporary conditions of health, vision etc,
according the job and the law.
but for drug usage, or prevous diseases, etc?

It’s about safeguarding the workplace and the biz in general.

Some general health, some drug and infectious disease test

Not all jobs are the same, and depending on the work you do, they might still hire you even if you’re a stoner 🥴

How come this damn virus is so strong, never getting weaker? start from china to Europe, USA and return to Asia.

1. "The coronavirus outbreak in new york originated mainly in travelers from europe, not asia, according to new studies cited by the new york times on wednesday."

2. "80% of NYC's coronavirus patients who are put on ventilators ultimately die, and some doctors are trying to stop using them"

3. "on wednesday, singapore reported a record of 142 new infections in the city-state, many of which have been connected to foreign workers living in compact dormitories. the new resurgence in cases has prompted the government to close schools and most workplaces for at least a month."

as far as I can see, when I press Belgium, the earliest is on the bottom line, and it corresponds to the 1st known case, februari 3rd

it was a plane evacuating Belgians from Wuhan
all passengers were put in quarantaine and tested multiple times, only 1 tested positive and he was kept in quarantaine till he was fully healed

Go to the first green line, from which all the other green lines branch. It clearly says: INFERRED DATE 1/15/20, country confidence Belgium 64%. Continue along that line: INFERRED DATE 1/19/20, country confidence Beligum 98%.

They're working backwards through the mutations, as they did to get a place and date for the first cases in Wuhan in late November. They're NOT just using the hospital confirmed cases.

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global?d=tree&p=full&r=country

How come this damn virus is so strong, never getting weaker?

Better testing, and identification of it. That's why it seems less prevalent in Africa, and so pervasive in New York City.

So why has Africa been spared so far?

Limited testing

A simple explanation, say public health experts, could be that the continent simply hasn't had the ability to detect cases up until now.As of late last week, only two African countries — Senegal and South Africa — had laboratories capable of testing and confirming samples for the virus."We can't tell if we have had cases of the novel coronavirus and are missing them; perhaps these cases have come and we didn't detect them," said Isaac Ngere, a Kenyan-based researcher specializing in the outbreak of diseases.

https://www.dw.com/en/africa-has-been-spared-so-far-from-coronavirus-why/a-52382666

It’s about safeguarding the workplace and the biz in general.
Some general health, some drug and infectious disease test
Not all jobs are the same, and depending on the work you do, they might still hire you even if you’re a stoner ������

Not to drive a subway train. :)

I would certainly hope so, but apparently with some ventilator models it's not adequate with this virus if they're measuring this incredible viral load in the air.

That's besides the fact that some of these patients are in a panic, and ripping tubes out.

No wonder so many doctors died in China and Italy.

The problem is larger, I think. This may not be a disease ICU doctors have ever seen before,i.e. it isn't really pneumonia.

More and more doctors are starting to think it's more like high altitude sickness than a "normal" interstitial pneumonia.

See the link below...
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/928156#vp_2

"[FONT=proxima_nova_rgbold]Whyte: [/FONT][FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][From Luciano] Gattinoni. Were you aware of what was going on in Italy before you noticed these observations or did that come after the fact?[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][FONT=proxima_nova_rgbold]Kyle-Sidell: [/FONT]That came a little bit after. And I wasn't aware. I can't even remember the exact timeline. But in my reading, I came upon decompression, pulmonary sickness, which is essentially the bends—when divers dive and come up too quickly—which seemed to mirror the clinical picture of these patients. And in discussions of other people, it came up that they do appear similar clinically. This is not to say that the pathophysiology underlying it is similar, but clinically they look a lot more like high-altitude sickness than they do pneumonia. Regarding, Gattinoni, he published something on March 20th, which was about 2 days before I opened the ICU. I don't know that I read it then, but somehow it got passed around. In my mind, by the time I read what he was saying, I'd come under the impression that this just wasn't what we were used to seeing. It was a high-compliance disease, which every pulmonologist had. Anyone managing a ventilator can see. That's not a question. So when I read his stuff, where he is suggesting that the management strategy that we use is essentially somewhat flipped, at least in these high-compliant patients, it just became more clear that that if we operate under a paradigm whereby we are treating ARDS in these high-compliant patients, we may not be operating under the right paradigm."

"First, I'll describe what Gattinoni was saying, which is that really what we're seeing in ARDS are two different phenotypes: one in which the lungs display what you call high compliance, low elastance; and one in which they have low compliance and high elastance. To say it simply for people who are not pulmonologists, if you think of the lungs as a balloon, typically when people have ARDS or pneumonia, the balloon gets thicker. So not only do you lack oxygen, but the pressure and the work to blow up the balloon becomes greater. So one's respiratory muscles become tired as they struggle to breathe. And patients need pressure. What Gattinoni is saying is that there are essentially two different phenotypes, one in which the balloon is thicker, which is a low-compliance disease. But in the beginning they display high compliance. Imagine if the balloon is not actually thicker but thinner, so they'd suffer from a lack of oxygen. But it is not that they suffer from too much work to blow up the balloon. As far as how we're going to switch, we're going to take our approach differently from the traditional ARDSnet protocol in that we are going to do an oxygen-first strategy: We're going to leave the oxygen levels as high as possible and we're going to try to use the lowest pressures possible to try to keep the oxygen levels high. That's the approach we're going to do, so long as the patients continue to display the physiology of a low elastance, high-compliance disease."

So, what they've started doing in Italy is using these CPAC hoods, but not ventilating.

Whether it's correct or not only time will tell, I guess.

Maybe we should be halving the orders for ventilators and getting these made too[/FONT]

Sorry, meant to post a picture of the hoods.

CPAP-hood.jpg

Looks like something from the old sci fi movies.

Not to drive a subway train. :)

Sadly, the subway is probably where most New Yorkers, NJ, CT got the virus at first.

Mostly in case of pandemia there are 2 kinds of statistics

the ones that are written down, with every detail, the confirmed ones as we say,
as the ones most countries do now, but usually contain symptomatic ones,
if remember correct at Greece they have done 22-23 000 tests when confirmed spread was about 1500 positive
it is rather a statistic more usable to Medicine extracts

and the other are the Gallup tests, random people chosen of the total population
with these tests surely you can see the true % of the infected per population
and offcourse you can estimate the asymptomatic ones,
It is a statistic mainly for political and govermental decisions

the isolation at home in Greece is until 27 April, offcourse it may expand 14-28 days more
after2 weeks they might start the other statistic, the Gallup
that depends offcourse by the daily numbers of confirmed,
Do not know how many tests will be needed,
but we might speak about the return to half normality in a month.

finally a plan for FREEDOM ​from my beloved wife, :LOL: :clap: :dunce: :drunk: :beer1:
the bad news is that May is the month of fish reproduction, and fishing is forbiden.

"In a German carnival town hard-hit by Covid-19, serology tests suggest that 1 in 7 are now immune."

That's about the same percentage as in the town in Lombardia.

"
Dr. Angela Rasmussen

This suggests that even in areas with substantial transmission, the majority of people have not been infected and are likely to be susceptible to infection down the road. Easing stay-home orders could result in another wave of infections in the large proportion of naive people."

"
Although this doesn't support total relaxation of stay-home policies, it does show that widespread virus and serology testing can help quantify risks, and allow us to apply more targeted containment measures. We need to do many more studies like this."

Ships are not a good place to be when bad viruses are on the loose. I've been saying since the beginning I think this is airborne to some degree. It's certainly possible it's traveling through air and waste vents.

10% of the crew on the U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive, so 400+ crew.

"OIL PRODUCTION SHIP LEASING COMPANY SBM OFFSHORE SAYS SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF CREW ON FPSO PLATFORM IN BRAZIL TESTED POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS -STATEMENT SBM OFFSHORE SAYS IT HAS CONTACTED BRAZILIAN AUTHORITIES AND PETROBRAS TO HANDLE SITUATION"

Coronavirus simulation shows how infected shopper can cough cloud of deadly droplets across TWO supermarket aisles.

"
Scientists have put together a shocking video that shows how deadly coronavirus droplets can spread across two supermarket aisles and infect shoppers, with the bug hanging in the air for 'several minutes.Experts from Aalto University in Finland have put together an animation so shoppers can be aware of the dangers of spreading the killer disease.
'Someone infected by the coronavirus, can cough and walk away, but then leave behind extremely small aerosol particles carrying the coronavirus. These particles could then end up in the respiratory tract of others in the vicinity,' says Aalto University Assistant Professor Ville Vuorinen. "

I took great pleasure in showing this to my husband and son, who have been teasing me mercilessly for the last two weeks for "washing the groceries". :)

^^

Sounds like a great idea to me...

The Spectator Index

JAPAN: Government to spend over $2 billion to help its country's firms move production out of China.

720_712642_382c64e024-bd35b8149414ba62%25281%2529.jpg

107 !!!!! years old Dutch female has the record of most aged human agaist Corona

Well, that's a double surprise. I thought they were controlling it because it was centered in that religious cult. I'm also surprised such a tech centric country isn't really equipped to telework.

"#breaking Day 3 of Japan's state of emergency. Commuter traffic continues to drop -- but not yet reaching the 70-80% reduction the government says is necessary to prevent an explosion in cases. The problem is gov't data shows 80% of Japan's companies are not equipped to telework."

An Italian doctor is flattening the curve by treating patients at home and dosing them with hydroxychloroquine.

"https://time.com/5816874/italy-coro...dium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article

Luigi Cavanna is the head of the oncology ward in the nearby Piacenza hospital. From the second week of March, when the lockdown in Italy began, he realized that too many seriously ill COVID-19 patients were arriving in the emergency room — while most of them could have been treated at home earlier, before their symptoms became too grave."

That’s why he now travels throughout the areas around Piacenza every day, along with several colleagues. Together, his three teams have visited more than 300 people with COVID-19 symptoms. They bring patients medicine and a device that monitors the levels of oxygen in the blood, which they return after they’ve recovered. In more critical cases Cavanna leaves tanks of oxygen and, as with Sartori’s mother, bags of fluid with nutrients for non-oral feeding."

We have to try to stop it before it damages the lungs in a way that is sometimes irreversible.” According to the data he collected during the first month, fewer than 10% of the patients he treated at home worsened to the point where they had to be hospitalized."

Until last week, Cavanna was giving most of his patients both hydroxychloroquine (commonly used for malaria and certain inflammatory disorders like rheumatoid arthritis) and an antiviral that is usually prescribed for HIV. Then AIFA, Italy’s equivalent to the U.S.’s Food and Drug Administration, issued a note advising to be very careful in prescribing them together. So now, except in rare cases, he uses hydroxychloroquine on its own. Although the drug hasn’t been tested for the coronavirus, he says it is the “most effective treatment for now.”"

Now that Italy’s rate of coronavirus cases [/COLOR]has plateaued, medical officials are looking at what worked and what didn’t — and increasingly they are turning to new initiatives such as the one pioneered by Cavanna. Local administrations in other regions and nonprofits like Doctors Without Borders are organizing groups of doctors to provide services at home and in facilities most at risk, such as nursing homes."

There are added benefits as well, imo. The doctors are less at risk because they don't have to do as many intubations, and the patients are getting more viral load from other patients and health care staff while they're at the hospital.

Bravo.
[/COLOR]

An Italian doctor is flattening the curve by treating patients at home and dosing them with hydroxychloroquine.

"https://time.com/5816874/italy-coro...dium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article

Luigi Cavanna is the head of the oncology ward in the nearby Piacenza hospital. From the second week of March, when the lockdown in Italy began, he realized that too many seriously ill COVID-19 patients were arriving in the emergency room — while most of them could have been treated at home earlier, before their symptoms became too grave."

That’s why he now travels throughout the areas around Piacenza every day, along with several colleagues. Together, his three teams have visited more than 300 people with COVID-19 symptoms. They bring patients medicine and a device that monitors the levels of oxygen in the blood, which they return after they’ve recovered. In more critical cases Cavanna leaves tanks of oxygen and, as with Sartori’s mother, bags of fluid with nutrients for non-oral feeding."

We have to try to stop it before it damages the lungs in a way that is sometimes irreversible.” According to the data he collected during the first month, fewer than 10% of the patients he treated at home worsened to the point where they had to be hospitalized."

Until last week, Cavanna was giving most of his patients both hydroxychloroquine (commonly used for malaria and certain inflammatory disorders like rheumatoid arthritis) and an antiviral that is usually prescribed for HIV. Then AIFA, Italy’s equivalent to the U.S.’s Food and Drug Administration, issued a note advising to be very careful in prescribing them together. So now, except in rare cases, he uses hydroxychloroquine on its own. Although the drug hasn’t been tested for the coronavirus, he says it is the “most effective treatment for now.”"

Now that Italy’s rate of coronavirus cases [/COLOR]has plateaued, medical officials are looking at what worked and what didn’t — and increasingly they are turning to new initiatives such as the one pioneered by Cavanna. Local administrations in other regions and nonprofits like Doctors Without Borders are organizing groups of doctors to provide services at home and in facilities most at risk, such as nursing homes."

There are added benefits as well, imo. The doctors are less at risk because they don't have to do as many intubations, and the patients are getting more viral load from other patients and health care staff while they're at the hospital.

Bravo.
[/COLOR]

That's what I always said, don't go to a hospital unless it's absolutely necessary. I think that the drug hydroxychloroquine controls the out of control immune response that leads to organ failure in some people. I like what this doctor is doing. Maybe other can copy him.

That's what I always said, don't go to a hospital unless it's absolutely necessary. I think that the drug hydroxychloroquine controls the out of control immune response that leads to organ failure in some people. I like what this doctor is doing. Maybe other can copy him.

I think the oxygen is essential too, so that's another piece of equipment for which we should be ramping up production. If you just stay at home without it, I think by the time you get to the hospital it's too late.

I hope they copy him not only in Italy but here.

This thread has been viewed 697151 times.

Back