Health New Coronavirus in China

[h=1]"Trans-ethnic analysis reveals genetic and non-genetic associations with COVID-19 susceptibility and severity[/h]https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.04.20188318v1

"[h=2]Abstract[/h][FONT=&quot]COVID-19 presents with a wide range of severity, from asymptomatic in some individuals to fatal in others. Based on a study of over one million 23andMe research participants, we report genetic and non-genetic associations with testing positive for COVID-19, respiratory symptoms, and hospitalization. Risk factors for hospitalization include advancing age, male sex, elevated body mass index, lower socio-economic status, non-European ancestry, and pre-existing cardio-metabolic and respiratory conditions. Using trans-ethnic genome-wide association studies, we identify a strong association between blood type and COVID-19 diagnosis, as well as a gene-rich locus on chr3p21.31 that is more strongly associated with outcome severity. While non-European ancestry was found to be a significant risk factor for hospitalization after adjusting for socio-demographics and pre-existing health conditions, we did not find evidence that these two primary genetic associations explain differences between populations in terms of risk for severe COVID-19 outcomes."

"Ski, Party, Seed a Pandemic"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/...el-coronavirus.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Certain Neanderthal genes can make Covid worse.
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news...e-some-covid-patients-study-finds/3585344001/[/FONT]

already knowledgeable about the possibility of genetically modified viruses which could target certain population genom, this above article is evoking memories of such eventual eugenic possibility, tho that would be paradox if we know that all over the world this virus is mutating and affecting almost every population, Except maybe Escimos or Amazonians who are far away from everything ...

how far we are from the truth, is there room for conspiracies, nevertheless we will all realize that sooner or later everybody will need to overcome this virus , it was case with every pandemic in the last decade > tho this one is way more aggressive as propaganda, and for sure more risky as economic shortcircuit for the fiat money system that in this way is stimulated to move more sooner to digital crypto-currencies >

> sorry for this digression, but my point is that there is such a paranoia which is focusing on isolation as most needed measure instead on immunity boosting even before any vaccination, on other hand the risks of economic havoc next year would be way more dangerous than the risks from normal measures i.e. there is only need of good antivirus practice to be constantly stimulated through the media but also standardization on private and institutional disinfection of work areas and public spaces so there would be lesser impact on the world economy, tho there is already too big hit on it that is question how things will roll next year ...

The thread has been very stopped,

Latest data on the situation in Europe

Second wave of coronavirus: life in Europe changes again with new restrictions against the coronavirus

After a few months of relaxation during the European summer, the coronavirus pandemic is hitting the continent again hard.

The dreaded "second wave" predicted by scientists is already installed in Europe, and little by little most countries have been forced to take action.

The situation, however, varies greatly from one country to another.

The country already going through a "third wave" of coronavirus
Until this Saturday, the Czech Republic had the highest number of accumulated cases in the last 14 days per 100,000 inhabitants, with 770.5.

It was followed by:

Belgium (637.6),
the Netherlands (485.5)
France (365.8)
United Kingdom (333.3)
Spain (312.4),
according to data from the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) of Saturday, October 17.

[video]https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-internacional-54570973[/video]

Yet the death rate is flat, yes?

Do they know how to manage/treat it better, or it has mutated to be less lethal as a recent paper held, or both?

Does anyone know the stat for Italy? I thought Lombardia already had herd immunity, but that wouldn't apply to the rest of the country.

I know 30 cases, and none of them are smokers... Only two say they smoked but quit like a few years ago! lol!

You didn't mention how they handled the disease, their ages, and whether they had other risk factors.

Off topic, but I spoke to a doctor yesterday who said the number 1 risk factor in old and young is obesity. They figured out that obese patients have to be turned constantly and, if possible, made to walk. If they lay flat on their backs it impairs their breathing, the circulation of air through their lungs, and their heart function.

Yet the death rate is flat, yes?

Do they know how to manage/treat it better, or it has mutated to be less lethal as a recent paper held, or both?

Does anyone know the stat for Italy? I thought Lombardia already had herd immunity, but that wouldn't apply to the rest of the country.

I'll answer my own question. Stats per country as of October 19th. I don't get what's going on in Sweden. Weren't they supposed to be the success story? I also don't know why Belgium is always way up there.

Still, as I said, the death rate is still flat, I think.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1110187/coronavirus-incidence-europe-by-country/

("good") allele for rs10490770 is 'T', and the minor/risk allele is 'C'.

In SNPedia, those alleles are reported in accordance with the original orientation in dbSNP, and are therefore 'A' and 'G', respectively.

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs10490770

... AncestryDNA RawData, ... at DNA.land :)

OsTm89h.jpg

I just found out that neighbors of mine from my old house who had moved to Florida partly to escape from Covid have both died of it. She was the first to get ill and was 78. He died today; he was 82.

I'm really shocked. I don't know their intimate health history, but they both seemed very fit. I can't believe they wouldn't have worn masks. I do know they lived in a hi-rise, so perhaps that was it? And here I am with workmen in and out of the house.

Whatever I can get done in the next two weeks, fine. After that, I batten down the hatches for the late fall and winter.

("good") allele for rs10490770 is 'T', and the minor/risk allele is 'C'.

In SNPedia, those alleles are reported in accordance with the original orientation in dbSNP, and are therefore 'A' and 'G', respectively.

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs10490770

... AncestryDNA RawData, ... at DNA.land :)

OsTm89h.jpg

Thanks for that information Salento, I checked my SNP rs10490770 and I am TT on that one.

5.6 millions have recovered from COVID-19 and only 1 has been reinfected in US. The probability and ratio does not fit well given that 5 of 370 million got infected and only 1 out of 5 million got reinfected.
I doubt those reinfections are true as in it is more complicated than that. Maybe those people never had it to began with. Or maybe the truth is too ugly to be accepted.

Tonight my brother tells me that an acquaintance of his has just passed the virus. Five known people from the same environment meet to eat at the house of one of them and 3 out of 5 are infected. Those infected lost their sense of palate and have passed the virus without complications.

The virus cases have repeaked in October in all of the European countries that I checked and most likely in all of Europe.

I'd be interested in seeing graphs showing what is happening in terms of the death rate. Is it also rising or is it flat?

I think, lesser death rate might be also due to more widespread testing.

I think, lesser death rate might be also due to more widespread testing.

I think that's true. Way back in March, there were some studies positing a less than one percent fatality rate per infection. Maybe they were correct, or maybe it's just mutated to become less lethal.

The Chinese seem to have almost totally eradicated it, but no western style democracy is going to adopt those methods. Taiwan was able to do it because it's an island and could totally shut itself off in terms of human contact because of early warning plans based on close monitoring of affairs.

The less restrictive but supposedly wonderful systems set up in Germany, with lots of testing and lots of contact tracing, seem to have failed even though their family interactions are less frequent.

So, is the choice are we going to totally shut down our economies and go into a world wide depression, or are we going to mitigate the situation as much as we can by using masks and socially distancing to the extent possible so as not to overwhelm hospitals but remain open until or if a vaccine is available, and just take the hit.

There's really no acceptable choice; I'm glad I don't have to decide.

It is my opinion that no matter who gets elected we will not have a nationwide shutdown. Local authorities might but even then nothing like the March/June shutdown.

I know that in Thessaloniki Greece, the number of cases had gotten down to ten. Then the college students got back to town and started socializing in cafes and clubs. Cafes are now mostly indoors since it's getting cold and rainy. There were 2056 cases on Oct 30th.

Last edited:
It is my opinion that no matter who gets elected we will not have a nationwide shutdown. Local authorities might but even then nothing like the March/June shutdown.

I know that in Thessaloniki Greece, the number of cases had gotten down to ten. The the college students got back to town and started socializing in cafes and clubs. Cafes are now mostly indoors since it's getting cold and rainy. There were 2056 cases on Oct 30th.

by the waste water treatment, calculation of virus 'load'
Athens has more than 40 000 now and Thessaloniki has over 30 000.
Thessaloniki tomorrow pass to all day lock down, my daughter and my niece studying there are almost in panic,
at Pieria, only a wedding fiesta and ceremony was enough, from 500 guests got 24 positive and now who knows how many.
Greece for now shows extreme numbers of asymptomatic, as can be found by the wastewaters treatment.
Truth is that lockdown has to do with ability of hospitals to serve and cure the heavy cases of covid,
they are to the limit, and the main fear is not to reach the situation that N Italy passed at the begin of pandemia, (health system to limit/collapse)
Everybody hopes for the vaccine here,
Thessaloniki had at 12 OCT few confirmed cases (0-10) and at 21 OCT had over 500 confirmed.

https://www.tovima.gr/2020/10/29/so...essaloniki-dekaplasia-krousmata-se-15-imeres/

DOC-20201030-1.jpg

Here's the update for positives in my family. My Father-in-law and mother were both at the same nursing home. Positive tests are retested after 3 months because the virus shows as positive even while shedding.

86 yo father-in-law. Positive. No symptoms. Now cleared.
87 yo mother. Positive. No symptoms. Now cleared. Released after physical therapy.
84 yo aunt. Positive. On ventilator for 4 weeks. Hospitalized for 16 weeks. Now cleared.

I'm starting to wonder if the kind of "total lockdowns" they did in certain parts of Europe made it worse. You keep people enclosed inside together. They give it to each other, the national or regional numbers go down, you loosen restrictions, and they go out and give it to other people, some of whom will have bad outcomes based on a host of factors.

Maybe it's a case of, you don't believe anything coming out of China, at the first hint of a new virus there you close down all international travel (which the WHO said not to do), you mask everyone (which the WHO said not to do), you contact trace the hell out of every single case with the national police force doing it, not hospitals.

If you did that really early, you're in good shape. If you didn't, which none of the western democracies did, it's too late and all that's left is mitigation.

See:
https://twitter.com/zakkohane/status/1323084465602809856/photo/1

This thread has been viewed 696465 times.

Back