Health New Coronavirus in China

Who is going to eat outside in July and August in Florida?

If inside, there will be air conditioning. Who cares if the tables are 8 feet apart instead of four feet apart if, as in the study of that restaurant cluster, the air conditioning can pick up the droplets and spread them all over the space?

Is he mandating that the air conditioners be fitted with HEPA filters and UV lights?

By all means open up, but get this stuff in place first.

Of course, if you're only seeded with a few cases it may be fine for a while, but all it takes is for someone who is carrying it to stroll in. What if that someone goes to eat lunch with a friend in The Villages?

Here only outside is easily allowed to eat and drink,
temperature today reach 41 C some areas

Is this from Brazil typical reporter exaggeration?

Brazil is facing a humanitarian crisis unseen in the developed world. Cities running out of coffins. Lines 1,000 deep for an ICU bed. Ambulances racing around with nowhere to go, desperately looking for a free bed.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...-hospital-bed-capacity-ambulance/?arc404=true

NYT News: “Brazil had months to study the errors and successes of the first countries struck by the virus. Its robust public health care system could have been deployed to conduct mass testing and trace the movements of newly infected patients.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/16/...il-deaths.html?smid=tw-nytimesworld&smtyp=cur

The three Baltic state have quarantine free travel bubble - which is sort of nice. Otherwise it is possible to travel to some other countries but mandatory quarantine will apply. The restrictions are lifted from trade, social distancing is still on (no more than 5 unrelated people together), gatherings for more than 30 people inside - even with social distancing rules - are not allowed.
Masks are no longer mandatory while being outside, but they must be worn inside everywhere.

Some cultural events take place in a different format - like car movies theatre in an airport, or

a quartet concert from Philharmonia balcony (they look tiny on the photo :) and could not fit all on the balcony so some had to play from inside )

650703-430437-756x425.jpg

pop/rock singers giving concerts from the roof of shopping mall, etc

The three Baltic state have quarantine free travel bubble - which is sort of nice. Otherwise it is possible to travel to some other countries but mandatory quarantine will apply. The restrictions are lifted from trade, social distancing is still on (no more than 5 unrelated people together), gatherings for more than 30 people inside - even with social distancing rules - are not allowed.
Masks are no longer mandatory while being outside, but they must be worn inside everywhere.

Some cultural events take place in a different format - like car movies theatre in an airport, or

a quartet concert from Philharmonia balcony (they look tiny on the photo :) and could not fit all on the balcony so some had to play from inside )

650703-430437-756x425.jpg

pop/rock singers giving concerts from the roof of shopping mall, etc

outside and under sunlight (not night time) and a distance of 2+ meters is a quite safe way to keep have social life, and entertainment,
I would not worry if I was in such gathering as in photo.

pagakia.jpg

could ice cubes on drinks or coffee carry the virus?

On January 25th was Chinese New Year and around 1 Million Chinese visitors came to Thailand. Around 20,000 of them were from Wuhan. It took almost 2 months for the number of cases to exceed 100.
83f64ca1d5fd96487c6e966ffee19522efb49409.png

How are we supposed to know the true number of people infected from Covid-19, if they aren't testing for it enough though? I think early on, only two countries in Africa had labs capable of doing it.

[h=1]Coronavirus: Alexandre Kalil: “It politicized the thing. It seems that those who do not want to die are communists ”| Brazil[/h]
[FONT=&quot]May 17, 2020

[/FONT]
6QNaIqe.jpg
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

With the baggage of someone who has been a football manager for more than a decade, detached from beliefs and superstitions, Alexandre Kalil (PSD) he says he has lost faith in humanity. “The world has gotten worse. It sucks ”, he says, with the usual detachment, in an interview with EL PAÍS, avoiding romanticizing the impact of the current crisis on human relations. “We are not going to get out of this situation any better. No one is moved to see a body thrown into a ditch. Almost 1,000 families losing people a day and still have a guy worried about opening trade. ” In spite of the pessimistic view, the mayor of Belo Horizonte has hope of going through the covid-19 pandemic without his city repeating the dramatic scenes of European countries. “The people of Belo Horizonte understood the message”, he explains when celebrating the average of around 60% of social isolation in the main neighborhoods since the beginning of the quarantine.
One of the first to adopt restrictive measures in the country, the seat of the Government of Minas Gerais has the third lowest incidence rate of coronavirus (43 cases per 100,000 inhabitants) among the capitals, behind Curitiba and Porto Alegre. Although Belo Horizonte has experienced an increase in the percentage of registrations in the last few days, it has been more successful in flattening the curve of new infections than cities like Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, which accumulate contagion rates 3.7 and 4.9 times higher, respectively. According to Kalil, the rapid response to the pandemic was fundamental to stop the curve in March and April, in the wake of the closing of trade.
[h=3]More information[/h]In order to enforce the decree, the municipal guard left the policing function and now carries out an inspection expedition, in which it issued more than 10,000 infractions against establishments that were reluctant to close their doors. In addition to the preparation of hospitals and ICU beds, the city resorted to infectologists from UFMG when constituting a coping committee, and also to the university’s statistics department, which developed a mathematical model to project the peaks of cases in the city. “When Belo Horizonte was devastated by the rains at the beginning of the year, I took charge of the business because I am a contractor and I understand urban works”, says the mayor. “But in the pandemic, the final word is from scientists. What they tell you to do, I do it. As I am not a doctor or an infectious disease, I follow the booklet and just hand over the money to carry out the social and health aspects. ”
Between 1918 and 1919, BH had already been successful in tackling the Spanish flu outbreak, registering one of the lowest mortality rates in Brazil due to the application of restrictive measures. Kalil says that, although he learned about the city’s history, he did not seek reference in the past when outlining his strategy to combat the covid-19. “I was surprised to learn how Belo Horizonte overcame the Spanish flu, but I am not inspired by anyone. Only in science. ” According to the mayor, the fact of having set up a cabinet by technical, not political, criteria is now a differential in crisis management, citing Health Secretary Jackson Machado Pinto, who headed the Santa Catarina dermatology clinic for 25 years. BH House. “I sign the papers, but whoever guides and leads the work is a doctor.”
[h=3]Threats for holding trade reopening[/h]To reinforce social isolation, the city of BH bought two million masks, distributed to the population by traffic agents and the civil guard. Those who leave home without protective equipment can be fined 80 reais. Since April, the use of a mask is mandatory. The executive also distributes 243,000 basic food baskets per month to people in situations of social vulnerability, most of them for informal workers and families of students enrolled in municipal schools. In order to expedite delivery, the city has partnered with supermarkets, where students’ guardians only need to present their identity card to remove the basket.
Kalil’s concern at the moment is the pressure that coronavirus cases registered in the metropolitan region can exert on the capital’s health system. Nova Lima, neighboring BH, for example, has the fourth highest incidence rate in the state (106 cases per 100,000 inhabitants). The mayor even banned the entry of buses from cities that relaxed isolation measures, but the decree was eventually overturned by the courts. “There is no use for the city to take precautions, close stores and escambau, and then judge to have it opened. You need to understand that this is not my opinion. It’s ******* science, ”he says.
In late April, members of a motorcade in favor of President Jair Bolsonaro protested in front of the mayor’s house, contrary to restrictive measures in the city. Some neighbors responded by throwing eggs at the protesters. “I was president of Atlético, I took 6 to 1 from the biggest rival… Whoever lived the pressure of football, is not afraid of half a dozen horns”, jokes Kalil, who says he received death threats for his attitude adopted during the coronavirus crisis . He says that, in addition to not being intimidated, he avoids making decisions aimed at the municipal elections scheduled for this year. “If a family loses a loved one in BH because I thought about myself or re-election, I will never be able to sleep again. I would rather die with a shot than with remorse for being a coward. ”
In friction with the state government, the mayor claims to have received neither financial support nor support from Governor Romeu Zema (Novo), who is Bolsonaro’s ally. “Zero support. The state is broken. ” Regarding the federal government, Kalil understands that the president’s statements, encouraging the quarantine to be broken, and the turbulence in Brasília, such as the resignations of ministers Luiz Henrique Mandetta and Sergio Moro, hamper the work of mayors and governors. “A president’s speech is very important. If we had strong federal leadership, fighting the pandemic would be much better. Imagine if [João] Doria and Wilson [Witzel] had they not stopped São Paulo and Rio? Brazil would already have about 50,000 dead. ”
Bolsonaro recently declared that the blame for deaths from the coronavirus is not his, but that of governors and mayors. Kalil agrees. “If people die in Belo Horizonte, it is my responsibility. He [presidente] you have to send money to city halls. Now, it helps a lot who gets in the way. It hasn’t been his case. ” The mayor regrets that the president’s speeches contribute to ignite part of the population against local managers. “It politicized the thing. It seems that those who do not want to die are communists. And anyone who wants to die, but protests in a double cab truck, is on the right. In the meantime, we see a city that does not even have a respirator opening the trade, ”says Kalil, who was called“ communist ”by Bolsonarists.
The city of BH set up a technical group, which includes infectologists, to establish a plan for the gradual reopening of the city. According to the mayor, if the levels of social isolation and ICU occupation are maintained, easing may start from 25 May. However, merchants, who wanted to open stores for Mother’s Day, remain dissatisfied. By means of a note, the Chamber of Shopkeepers (CDL) defends that the loosening of restrictive measures should be anticipated. “I’ve been asking them for patience [empresários]”, Says Kalil. “When I start reopening, I’m going to call them to the table. We need to recover trade. City Hall is not a bank, but we intend to reward the sacrifice they are making in some way. ”
At the direction of his son, who is a doctor, the 61-year-old mayor uses an oximeter to constantly monitor oxygen saturation in cells. Inserted in the risk group and ex-smoker, Kalil only goes to the city hall for essential meetings and has not seen his grandchildren for two months. “I am in a panic, terrified by this virus. So I ask people to stay at home. Citizens who go out on the street randomly need to know that they are going to kill or die. ” Although he was a top hat, he rules out the return of games in the city’s stadiums while the coronavirus still poses a threat to public health. “There is no point in putting agglomeration within a 105 meter field. Whoever talks about football now can only be crazy. ”

At EL PAÍS, dozens of journalists work to bring you the most accurate information and to fulfill your public service mission. If you want to support our journalism and have unlimited access, you can do it here for 1 euro in the first month and 10 euros from the following month, with no commitment to stay.

Source: https://www.time24.news/2020/05/a/c...-not-want-to-die-are-communists-brazil-2.html

"Sweden has now the highest #covid19 fatality rate per million population of the world."

Regardless of their public pronouncements it seems that Sweden is following the "herd immunity" approach. I think that's also evidenced by the fact that parents are reporting that they are being threatened with fines and removal of their children if they don't send them to school.

Perhaps they find it acceptable because the people severely ill or dying are concentrated among the elderly and the migrant communities.

I personally find it heartless, but it's their government, their choice.

Effect of climate, i.e. humid heat on Covid. It reduces transmissability by about 25%. They have maps by area and month.
https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/covid19

Vaccine for tuberculosis doesn't help.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2766182

The germany sample had a, huge error bars, b, was done in the community with lowest cfr in heinsberg district (gangelt) and misreported the number of dead there (9 people died, not 7).

Mail forwarding requests extremely high in Manhattan and the "gentrified" parts of Brooklyn. The former went to their vacation homes, and the latter went home to their parents, like my son. :)

The poorer people, much more often black and Hispanic, had to stay. They never catch a break.

There's a map showing where they went.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...moving-leaving.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

While the Belgian Prime Minister @Sophie_Wilmes
was visiting a hospital in Brussels today, hospital staff turned their backs to her car. Belgium has the highest per capita Covid death toll. The government failed completely.

"Sweden has now the highest #covid19 fatality rate per million population of the world."

Regardless of their public pronouncements it seems that Sweden is following the "herd immunity" approach. I think that's also evidenced by the fact that parents are reporting that they are being threatened with fines and removal of their children if they don't send them to school.

Perhaps they find it acceptable because the people severely ill or dying are concentrated among the elderly and the migrant communities.

I personally find it heartless, but it's their government, their choice.

Well, according to statistics Swedish deaths are high, but not the highest
Confirmed deaths (absolute)Population (in millions)Deaths per million
Belgium9,05211.42792.5
Spain27,56346.72589.91
Italy31,90860.43528
United Kingdom34,63666.49520.93
France28,07566.99419.11
Sweden3,67910.18361.28
Netherlands5,68017.23329.64
Ireland1,5434.85317.91
United States89,428327.17273.34
Switzerland1,8818.52220.86
Ecuador2,73617.08160.15
Canada5,90337.06159.29
Portugal1,21810.28118.46

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Well, according to statistics Swedish deaths are high, but not the highest
Confirmed deaths (absolute)Population (in millions)Deaths per million
Belgium9,05211.42792.5
Spain27,56346.72589.91
Italy31,90860.43528
United Kingdom34,63666.49520.93
France28,07566.99419.11
Sweden3,67910.18361.28
Netherlands5,68017.23329.64
Ireland1,5434.85317.91
United States89,428327.17273.34
Switzerland1,8818.52220.86
Ecuador2,73617.08160.15
Canada5,90337.06159.29
Portugal1,21810.28118.46

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

I was going by the following, which relies on One World Data. Perhaps it's less reliable? I don't know.
https://twitter.com/epsilon3141/status/1261787762107322369

Johen, is the point how many have died daily, or how many "would" have died daily if we had let it rip through the whole population?

Let's say that warm weather helps, and only 40-50% of the population got infected by July. The latest IFR is 1%. It's easy to do the math on a population of 324 Million people. Now, the majority might have been over 50. Would that be ok?

Le Monde editorial about Brazil: Bolsonaro's dangerous dark flight

May 19, 2020, 8:54 AM

There is no doubt that there is something rotten in the kingdom of Brazil, where President Jair Bolsonaro, manages to affirm, without hesitation, that the coronavirus is a "simple flu" or a "hysteria" born from the "imagination" of the media.

Something rotten when he meets agglomerations of his supporters, when he urges local authorities to lift restrictions, when he wants the epidemic to "start to disappear" while cemeteries across the country set an unprecedented burial record . When his foreign minister, Ernesto Araújo, defends the "comunavirus", claiming that the pandemic is the result of a communist conspiracy. When Health Minister Nelson Teich resigned on May 15, four weeks after his appointment to that crucial ministry, for "differences of opinion", just on the day when the country reached 240,000 confirmed cases and more than 16,000 dead.

For many, the dark hours that Brazil - the fifth nation most affected by the pandemic - is going through today, recall those of the military dictatorship, when the country was subjected to fear and arbitrariness. With a significant difference: while the generals of the time claimed the defense of a democracy attacked, according to them, by communism, Bolsonaro's Brazil lives in a parallel world, a theater of the absurd where facts and reality ceased to exist. In this stressed universe, nourished by calumnies, inconsistencies and deadly provocations, opinion is polarized around a fog of simple but false ideas.

Government-driven denial removes half the population from confinement, while requests for social detachment from health professionals, governors and mayors are followed loosely. Bolsonaro, who does not seem to apprehend the real dimension of the pandemic, says that economic activity must continue at any price and in the meantime makes an insane political calculation, hoping that devastating effects of the crisis will be attributed to the opposition.

Sanitary chaos

A subordinate officer expelled from the army and an obscure far-right deputy, mocked by his peers for three decades, Bolsonaro clearly did not have the necessary qualities of a statesman. Once in power, devoured by bitterness and fascist nostalgia, the former captain of the reserve did not cease to accuse the eternally hated "system". Posture that during an acute pandemic causes health chaos and sows death.
From betraying the facts, populist rulers end up believing their own lies. We see this in other parts of the world. But here, in this country that came out of the dictatorship only twenty-five years ago, where democracy remains fragile and even dysfunctional, the fact of politicizing, without limits, a health crisis of this magnitude is something totally irresponsible.
With an electoral base of 25%, Bolsonaro knows that his room for maneuver is narrow. Some today evoke the scenario of an institutional coup. In fact, in the face of the crowd that came to support him in Brasilia, the president made it clear on May 3 that if the Federal Supreme Court investigated him - him or his relatives - he would not respect the judges' decision. After practicing historical negationism while praising the dictatorship, denying the existence of the fires in the Amazon and the seriousness of the Covid-19 pandemic, Bolsonaro and his authoritarian temptation have great chances of plunging the country on a dangerous flight in the dark.

Source: https://www.lemonde.fr/idees/articl...fuite-en-avant-de-bolsonaro_6040012_3232.html

Great News:

COVID-19 patients testing positive for second infection not contagious, study shows

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/498516-covid-patients-testing-positive-for-second-infection-not-contagious-study[/FONT]

Great News:

COVID-19 patients testing positive for second infection not contagious, study shows

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/498516-covid-patients-testing-positive-for-second-infection-not-contagious-study

Funny, how when I search for this, mostly old articles from April saying the opposite pop-up first. This was a big story on ABC World News with David Muir, last night, and to me, seems pretty significant. Those people in South Korea being "re-infected" were false positives, that detected leftover dead matter from the virus according to the broadcast.

This seems a bit extreme:

"Big call from Cambridge University: all lectures to be online-only until summer of 2021"

They should give a huge reduction in tuition, but of course they won't. What happens with testing? If they let them take tests at home the grades will be fake given human nature.

Just going to the dentist is going to become a nightmare.

"
*Going to the dentist*- Covid testing before appointments for *all patients*- Tests for staff every 2 weeks- Screening phone calls"

I totally understand their concern. They get up close and personals with the inside of your mouth and your nose. This isn't going to be foolproof, however; the patient could have been infected in the days before the appointment even if he was negative when he took the Covid test.

They should just wear so much protective gear that it's like a Hazmat suit.

In Spain, the daily death toll remains below one hundred.

There are more than 150,000 people recovered. The cases accumulate mainly in Madrid (66,860) and Catalonia (55,888)

[FONT=&quot][h=2]CORONAVIRUS DATA IN SPAIN[/h][/FONT]
[FONT=PT_serif]
  • *Sanidad ya no informa de los positivos en test de anticuerposCifras totales: 232.555 casos de coronavirus diagnosticados por PCR; 27.888 muertos
  • 66.860 en Madrid (8.912 muertos)
  • 55.888 en Cataluña (6.021 muertos)
  • 18.586 en Castilla y León (1.960 muertos)
  • 16.739 en Castilla-La Mancha (2.913 muertos)
  • 13.435 en País Vasco (1.480 muertos)
  • 12.502 en Andalucía (1.371 muertos)
  • 10.949 en la Comunidad Valenciana (1.378 muertos)
  • 9.067 en Galicia (607 muertos)
  • 5.551 en Aragón (843 muertos)
  • 5.136 en Navarra (503 muertos)
  • 4.033 en La Rioja (353 muertos)
  • 3.040 en Extremadura (504 muertos)
  • 2.374 en Asturias (304 muertos)
  • 2.300 en Canarias (155 muertos)
  • 2.277 en Cantabria (209 muertos)
  • 2.018 en Baleares (221 muertos)
  • 1.560 en Murcia (148 muertos)
  • 121 en Melilla (2 muertos)
  • 119 en Ceuta (4 muertos)
[/FONT]

https://www.elmundo.es/ciencia-y-salud/salud/2020/05/19/5ec383e4fc6c83ca0f8b45b4.html

This thread has been viewed 692924 times.

Back