Non European ethnicities and their conflicts pre-date European Colonialism

I always found it bizarre how many people who purport to oppose racism, eurocentrism and white supremacy give so much stress to Europeans' and European-Americans' role in virtually every historical, ethnic and sociocultural issue, even far more than their obviously already big impact, that it almost seems like they are coming from a premise that Europeans are the sole major actors of humankind's history and that only they had an important level of agency in the entire world, even where they only appeared a mere 200 or 300 years ago. By trying to blame everything on the Europeans/whites, they end up treating the non-European/non-white populations as little more than victimized objects in their own history and as people who are apparently not "human" enough to have had a very complex history (including conflicts and social issues) since before the "white man" arrived there (and during its presence too).

I always found it bizarre how many people who purport to oppose racism, eurocentrism and white supremacy give so much stress to Europeans' and European-Americans' role in virtually every historical, ethnic and sociocultural issue, even far more than their obviously already big impact, that it almost seems like they are coming from a premise that Europeans are the sole major actors of humankind's history and that only they had an important level of agency in the entire world, even where they only appeared a mere 200 or 300 years ago. By trying to blame everything on the Europeans/whites, they end up treating the non-European/non-white populations as little more than victimized objects in their own history and as people who are apparently not "human" enough to have had a very complex history (including conflicts and social issues) since before the "white man" arrived there (and during its presence too).

I think this gets at Khan's major point, and I completely agree.

it's the same as in the thread about the asian grooming gangs in England

blame the white people, the others are excused
and as Razib Khan says, it is even mostly a certain class of white people who does this

it's the same as in the thread about the asian grooming gangs in England

blame the white people, the others are excused
and as Razib Khan says, it is even mostly a certain class of white people who does this

Bicicleur: I think it is the PC White Liberals he is referring to, at least, that is the case here in the USA. Obviously in this country, the history of Slavery is still something that gets caught up in modern USA identity and grievance politics. The Transatlantic slave trade was not good and nobody should ever claim it was, but it is not like Slavery started with the European Transatlantic slave trade. King Musa of Mali in who lived in the late 13th to early 14th century was a colonizer and major Slave holder in West Africa enslaving other tribal/ethnic groups. This was common all over Africa and the Arab-Muslim slave trade dates to 800 years before the European Slave trade. And modern Media does not want to report on it, but slavery is still being practiced even today in certain societies in the world, many in Africa and Asia. The greatest colonizer and conqueror in the history of the world was an Asian, Ghengis Khan, not European. So it is easy to blame ones home countries problems on colonialism as it as Khan notes, allows you to shift blame and take no ownership in the failure of your countries economic, political and cultural development. The USA dropped 2 Atom bombs on Japan, within 15 years after WW2 ended, they were a major manufacturing and technological powerhouse that continues to this day being the 3rd largest only behind the USA and China.

Last edited:
Bicicleur: I think it is the PC White Liberals he is referring to, at least, that is the case here in the USA. Obviously in this country, the history of Slavery is still something that gets caught up in modern USA identity and grievance politics. The Transatlantic slave trade was not good and nobody should ever claim it was, but it is not like Slavery started with the European Transatlantic slave trade. King Musa of Mali in who lived in the late 13th to early 14th century was a colonizer and major Slave holder in West Africa enslaving other tribal/ethnic groups. This was common all over Africa and the Arab-Muslim slave trade dates to 800 years before the European Slave trade. And modern Media does not want to report on it, but slavery is still being practiced even today in certain societies in the world, many in Africa and Asia. The greatest colonizer and conqueror in the history of the world was an Asian, Ghengis Khan, not European. So it is easy to blame ones home countries problems on colonialism as it as Khan notes, allows you to shift blame and take no ownership in the failure of your countries economic, political and cultural development. The USA dropped 2 Atom bombs on Japan, within 15 years after WW2 ended, they were a major manufacturing and technological powerhouse that continues to this day being the 3rd largest only behind the USA and China.

99% of American slaves where sold to white slave traders by african tribes , who captured these slaves in african regional wars............

read history of Delaware as that state was the first state to introduce slavery to USA and the last to give it away in 1866
next state you should read is Maryland

I would avoid the English and Spanish colonies in the carribean as IIRC slavery was abolished in English holdings in 1835 ......and it would make it confusing

99% of American slaves where sold to white slave traders by african tribes , who captured these slaves in african regional wars............

read history of Delaware as that state was the first state to introduce slavery to USA and the last to give it away in 1866
next state you should read is Maryland

I would avoid the English and Spanish colonies in the carribean as IIRC slavery was abolished in English holdings in 1835 ......and it would make it confusing

Also note on the Indian ocean side , the vast majority of eastern Africans where sold to Arab slave traders

although there was portuguese influence in the very far south of the indian ocean side .............unsure where they went .......but watching TV regarding family history of people.....I see these portuguese slaves appearing in Formosa ( Taiwan ) or indonesia ( Timor and other islands)

I think it's enough to point out that slavery has been with us for thousands of years (probably started in the Neolithic), has been practiced by most of the cultures of this world and accepted as 'just the way things are.' And (afaik) the Brits were the first to outlaw it . . . and yet receive the most opprobrium for it.

This thread has been viewed 3833 times.

Back