Can Spanish and Portuguese speakers understand Italian?

Video narrated and subtitled in Portuguese (São Paulo accent) with the recommendations of Augusto Cury, a Brazilian psychiatrist and writer, for the prevention of COVID-19 infection and also with words of solidarity and self-help for those in quarantine, for the sick and, also, for those who are healthy.

Original, only subtitles:

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Tongue twister challenge. Portuguese x Italian.

Tongue twister challenge. Portuguese x Italian.

Very cute. :)

There are some in Italian which aren't that difficult and then there are some which I think are impossible to say quickly for anyone.

"“Se l’arcivescovo di Costantinopoli si disarcivescoviscostantinopolizzasse, tu ti
disarcivescoviscostantinopolizzeresti come si è disarcivescoviscostantinopolizzasse l’arcivescovo di Costantinopoli?”[FONT=&quot].

I had to(If the archbishop of Constantinople renounced his position of archbishop, would you renounce your position as archbishop, as the archbishop of Constantinople renounced his position as archbishop?)[/FONT]

I had to look it up because even typing it is hard. :)

Somebody from the Accademia della Crusca, our language policing society, must have made it up.

English ones are fun too.

This is the first one I learned.
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

This one is deceptively simple, but all the "sh" versus "s" sounds twists people up.
She sells seashells by the seashore.

I know language teachers use them, but I think they're hard for some native speakers too if they have to do them really quickly.

Very cute. :)

There are some in Italian which aren't that difficult and then there are some which I think are impossible to say quickly for anyone.

"“Se l’arcivescovo di Costantinopoli si disarcivescoviscostantinopolizzasse, tu ti
disarcivescoviscostantinopolizzeresti come si è disarcivescoviscostantinopolizzasse l’arcivescovo di Costantinopoli?”.

I had to(If the archbishop of Constantinople renounced his position of archbishop, would you renounce your position as archbishop, as the archbishop of Constantinople renounced his position as archbishop?)

I had to look it up because even typing it is hard. :)

Somebody from the Accademia della Crusca, our language policing society, must have made it up.

English ones are fun too.

This is the first one I learned.
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

This one is deceptively simple, but all the "sh" versus "s" sounds twists people up.
She sells seashells by the seashore.

I know language teachers use them, but I think they're hard for some native speakers too if they have to do them really quickly.

Yes, Angela, Very cute young people. There are very difficult phrases even for those who speak Portuguese, like this one, if spoken very quickly, LOL:

‘O rato roeu as roupas do Rei de Roma’.

This means. ‘The rat gnawed on the clothes of the King of Rome’.

There are many guttural Rs together. LOL.

You are right. It is a lot of fun this game of tongue twister.

Cheers :)

Brazilian Portuguese (PT-BR) - Can Spanish and Italian speakers understand?

Six names on his identity papers! They indeed have to be large. :)

The Spanish speaker understands better, as I would expect, but she does pretty well. That was one thing I noticed too, how many "false friends" there are.

Still, one can make oneself understood if one gets some explanation for certain words.

French would be different. Italian shares more vocabulary with French than any other Romance language, so written French was always very easy for me, but spoken French requires more concentration and practice than Portuguese, and even than Spanish. Brazilian is harder for me. I think it's more pronunciation, though, than vocabulary.

I've forgotten if women keep their maiden names in Brazil and Portugal. We do in Italy. I was looking at my mother's Italian passport today, the one she had when we came here, and my father's name isn't on it. It's like a courtesy title.

Six names on his identity papers! They indeed have to be large. :)

The Spanish speaker understands better, as I would expect, but she does pretty well. That was one thing I noticed too, how many "false friends" there are.

Still, one can make oneself understood if one gets some explanation for certain words.

French would be different. Italian shares more vocabulary with French than any other Romance language, so written French was always very easy for me, but spoken French requires more concentration and practice than Portuguese, and even than Spanish. Brazilian is harder for me. I think it's more pronunciation, though, than vocabulary.

I've forgotten if women keep their maiden names in Brazil and Portugal. We do in Italy. I was looking at my mother's Italian passport today, the one she had when we came here, and my father's name isn't on it. It's like a courtesy title.

Brazilians can understand Spanish perfectly. The reciprocal is not true. Spanish speakers have a harder time understanding Portuguese. The guy in the video has a terrible country accent, with a terrible retroflex R that hurts in my ears (without prejudice but I personally don't like it). Besides, he said a lot of nonsense. Regarding ‘the bird that emits a characteristic sound and whose meat is consumed in the whole world’, in the Brazil, this bird is called ‘galo’ (for the male bird), 'galinha' (for the female bird) and ‘frango’ (when we want to refer to the meat of these birds). ‘Frango’ is not the male form of 'galinha', as he hinted in the video, confusing the Mexican boy and the Italian girl. ‘Frango’ is a young ‘galo’ or its meat.

My first surname is from my mother, and my last surname (Duarte) is from my father. All my brothers have the same sequence and that is the common form in Brazil.

My son inherited my two surnames and, as a courtesy, he has as his first surname one of his mother's surnames, LOL. My wife didn't change her maiden name when she married me. She doesn't have my last name, just my son have.;)

Last edited:

Which italian are the speaking....as i recall only Talian is spoken there
Check Talian on the net

Talian is the Italian they speak in Brazil. The girl in the video is Italian from Verona.

French Language - Can Italian, Spanish and Portuguese speakers understand?

French Language - Can Italian, Spanish and Portuguese speakers understand?

Montre was a difficult one for me when I was learning French; it's nothing like the Spanish/Italian/Portuguese words.

Interesting how the French are using a word from "to show", whereas the English are using a word from "to watch". :)

Yes, Angela, Very cute young people. There are very difficult phrases even for those who speak Portuguese, like this one, if spoken very quickly, LOL:

‘O rato roeu as roupas do Rei de Roma’.

This means. ‘The rat gnawed on the clothes of the King of Rome’.

There are many guttural Rs together. LOL.

You are right. It is a lot of fun this game of tongue twister.

Cheers :)

I confess always thought this tongue-twister is in fact quite simple and easy if you pay enough attention... Now, this one is really tricky to speak correctly in a fast pace with all the "tr" and "pr" consonant clusters and so many "s":

Três pratos de trigo pra três tigres tristes nos trilhos do trem.

Three plates of wheat for three sad tigers on the rails of the train.

This one is more funny than tricky, but I think the sequence of homophones and near homophones (changing only syllable stress or one or two vowels) is really interesting:

O sabiá não sabia que o sábio sabia que o sabiá não sabe assobiar.

The song thrush didn't know that the wise man knew that the song thrush doesn't know how to whistle.

I confess always thought this tongue-twister is in fact quite simple and easy if you pay enough attention... Now, this one is really tricky to speak correctly in a fast pace with all the "tr" and "pr" consonant clusters and so many "s":

Três pratos de trigo pra três tigres tristes nos trilhos do trem.

Three plates of wheat for three sad tigers on the rails of the train.

This one is more funny than tricky, but I think the sequence of homophones and near homophones (changing only syllable stress or one or two vowels) is really interesting:

O sabiá não sabia que o sábio sabia que o sabiá não sabe assobiar.

The song thrush didn't know that the wise man knew that the song thrush doesn't know how to whistle.

Hi Ygorcs. Good Morning. This is really difficult. My tongue is stuck. Even speaking more slowly, I curl up. LOL. Very good these phrases.(y):)

Good morning, fellows!

@Duarte
I knew it as "o rato roeu a roupa do rei de Roma; a rainha Rosa raivosa roeu o resto". rs Ygorcs is right. It's easy.

The one with "sabiá" is somewhat easy as well. You have just to repeat it few times.

The most difficult is that one with "tigres tristes". All you have to do is repeating these two words few times, then you try the whole phrase again, and voilà.

@Duarte
I knew it as "o rato roeu a roupa do rei de Roma; a rainha Rosa raivosa roeu o resto". rs Ygorcs is right. It's easy.
The one with "sabiá" is somewhat easy as well. You have just to repeat it few times.
The most difficult is that one with "tigres tristes". All you have to do is repeating these two words few times, then you try the whole phrase again, and voilà.

Good morning Regio. Thank you for completing the saying. I didn't remember the rest, LOL. Very cool :) (y):)

Dear @Regio and @Ygorcs.
It is almost an impossible mission to ask a 'Mineiro' like me that I pronounce all syllables, that I not suppress vowels, that I not agglutine the words, that I not use archaisms and that I not transform an entire sentence into a word of one kilometer of extension, as if we speak Finnish, and not Portuguese. LOL. I know that ‘Minas Gerais’ is not the best place for a foreign exchange student to perfect its standard Portuguese, learned in a language school. They arrive here and do not understand anything that we talk about in the colloquial use of the idiom. Most Brazilians from other states only understand us because outside of ‘Minas’, to communicate, we use standard Portuguese. This care does not exist among ourselves. Making a tongue twister game with a ‘Mineiro’ is an never ending wickedness, since we already have our tongue naturally twisted. LOL. In this quarantine, no 'Mineiro' is able to pronounce 'álcool em gel'. We was only able to pronounce 'alquingel'. LOL. Then, give me a discount in an attempt to reproduce the example sentences you both posted. For me it is terrible suffering. LOL.
Cheers fellows. ;)

Dear @Regio and @Ygorcs.
It is almost an impossible mission to ask a 'Mineiro' like me that I pronounce all syllables, that I not suppress vowels, that I not agglutine the words, that I not use archaisms and that I not transform an entire sentence into a word of one kilometer of extension, as if we speak Finnish, and not Portuguese. LOL. I know that ‘Minas Gerais’ is not the best place for a foreign exchange student to perfect its standard Portuguese, learned in a language school. They arrive here and do not understand anything that we talk about in the colloquial use of the idiom. Most Brazilians from other states only understand us because outside of ‘Minas’, to communicate, we use standard Portuguese. This care does not exist among ourselves. Making a tongue twister game with a ‘Mineiro’ is an never ending wickedness, since we already have our tongue naturally twisted. LOL. In this quarantine, no 'Mineiro' is able to pronounce 'álcool em gel'. We was only able to pronounce 'alquingel'. LOL. Then, give me a discount in an attempt to reproduce the example sentences you both posted. For me it is terrible suffering. LOL.
Cheers fellows. ;)
Lol I confirm this. I've been in Camanducaia-MG about six years ago, and a local cabby really impressed me with his huge accent. You probably have no accent compared to him. ah ah It looked like a dialect in "Nerso da Capitinga" fashion. No kidding. It was a surprise because I thought Nerso's existed only in TV, but no. Plus, that cabby treated me as an old fellow, and at the end, the trip (to Monte Verde) was almost for free. I was tempted to pay more than what he charged. They were all very receptive in that zone, and also in Caraça's, the two I visited (at different times).
Generally speaking, I'd risk to say there is no people in Brazil more friendly and "simpático" than those in certain parts of Minas Gerais. :)

I believe the accents in the South would be ok for foreigners. The pronunciations tend to be clear, with exceptions - one of them would be that from the "açorianos" in the coast of Santa Catarina, known as "manezinho".

Lol I confirm this. I've been in Camanducaia-MG about six years ago, and a local cabby really impressed me with his huge accent. You probably have no accent compared to him. ah ah It looked like a dialect in "Nerso da Capitinga" fashion. No kidding. It was a surprise because I thought Nerso's existed only in TV, but no. Plus, that cabby treated me as an old fellow, and at the end, the trip (to Monte Verde) was almost for free. I was tempted to pay more than what he charged. They were all very receptive in that zone, and also in Caraça's, the two I visited (at different times).
Generally speaking, I'd risk to say there is no people in Brazil more friendly and "simpático" than those in certain parts of Minas Gerais. :)
I believe the accents in the South would be ok for foreigners. The pronunciations tend to be clear, with exceptions - one of them would be that from the "açorianos" in the coast of Santa Catarina, known as "manezinho".

LOL. I fully agree with you. (y):LOL:

Dear @ RégioX.

It is not just the taxi driver from Camanducaia and Monte Verde who speaks the way you heard when you came to spend your vacation here in Minas Gerais. Everyone speaks, from the cleaner to a judge at the State Court of Justice. It's the dialect called 'mineirês' or 'montanhês'. For you laugh a lot, I post, next, a message from our Governor, Romeu Zema, talking about what a good public administration is. Remember that Zema is a very rich man and cannot be called ‘man of the people’ (as you can see, I don’t like him, LOL) but the way he talks will remind you, a lot, ‘Nerso da Capitinga’.

IY0x7vy.jpg

Romeu Zema speaking: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11o2mtNKwpB7NFH6WxGtkAw-BaCK515fF/view?usp=drivesdk

I would like to make it clear that I do not speak like that, but when I am in the interior of the state, in order not to seem like an “unfriendly guy from the capital”, I do. I speak like this, for example, when I am in the city of my wife, Santa Margarida, in the ‘Zona da Mata’ of ​​the state of Minas Gerais, par excellence, the coffee region of the ‘Serra do Caparaó’, which also includes the mountain region of the state of Espírito Santo, both colonized by Italian immigrants.

PS: Pay attention to the use of the verb ‘cagar’ (‘crap’) at the end of the speech, whose use is considered by my family members to be the extreme of vulgarity. He's our governor. LOL.

This thread has been viewed 39464 times.

Back