Can Spanish and Portuguese speakers understand Italian?

Mexican Spanish - Can Italian and Portuguese speakers understand it?

Amazing for me. It’s so similar than I can talk with him with absolute naturally. Very cool. I love the Mexican pronunciation of Spanish. It was very funny to me be the translator of a Mexican couple that was hosted in the same hotel that I was hosted in London. The staff of front desk was Portuguese from Madeira Island and the nice couple, of who my wife and I became friends, can’t understand what they was speaking.

In another situation, also in Europe, I made the crossing between Calais in France and Dover, England, by ferry. On that occasion, when arrived in Dover, I helped a pair of nice Argentine ladies who failed to understand the question asked by the immigration officer: “How long?” They looked at me begging for help and I told them that the officer was asking how long they would be in England. From then on I helped them make the currency exchange at the ATM. The Argentine ladies and the Mexican couple became our friends and we did all the tours together. Was very good.

Dear @ RégioX.

It is not just the taxi driver from Camanducaia and Monte Verde who speaks the way you heard when you came to spend your vacation here in Minas Gerais. Everyone speaks, from the cleaner to a judge at the State Court of Justice. It's the dialect called 'mineirês' or 'montanhês'. For you laugh a lot, I post, next, a message from our Governor, Romeu Zema, talking about what a good public administration is. Remember that Zema is a very rich man and cannot be called ‘man of the people’ (as you can see, I don’t like him, LOL) but the way he talks will remind you, a lot, ‘Nerso da Capitinga’.

IY0x7vy.jpg

Romeu Zema speaking: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11o2mtNKwpB7NFH6WxGtkAw-BaCK515fF/view?usp=drivesdk

I would like to make it clear that I do not speak like that, but when I am in the interior of the state, in order not to seem like an “unfriendly guy from the capital”, I do. I speak like this, for example, when I am in the city of my wife, Santa Margarida, in the ‘Zona da Mata’ of ​​the state of Minas Gerais, par excellence, the coffee region of the ‘Serra do Caparaó’, which also includes the mountain region of the state of Espírito Santo, both colonized by Italian immigrants.

PS: Pay attention to the use of the verb ‘cagar’ (‘crap’) at the end of the speech, whose use is considered by my family members to be the extreme of vulgarity. He's our governor. LOL.
Duarte, sorry, I didn't see it before.
Lol Possibly a joke. Not sure he would say that.

The voice does have a strong "mineiro" accent, but no, it's not like the accent of the "taxista" that took us to Monte Verde. No comparison. That one spoke sort of a dialect. lol

My mother-in-law is like your wife ("Italian" from ES).

Cheers

Mexican Spanish - Can Italian and Portuguese speakers understand it?

Amazing for me. It’s so similar than I can talk with him with absolute naturally. Very cool. I love the Mexican pronunciation of Spanish. It was very funny to me be the translator of a Mexican couple that was hosted in the same hotel that I was hosted in London. The staff of front desk was Portuguese from Madeira Island and the nice couple, of who my wife and I became friends, can’t understand what they was speaking.

In another situation, also in Europe, I made the crossing between Calais in France and Dover, England, by ferry. On that occasion, when arrived in Dover, I helped a pair of nice Argentine ladies who failed to understand the question asked by the immigration officer: “How long?” They looked at me begging for help and I told them that the officer was asking how long they would be in England. From then on I helped them make the currency exchange at the ATM. The Argentine ladies and the Mexican couple became our friends and we did all the tours together. Was very good.

It's difficult for me to know if as an Italian speaker I would understand the Mexican man, because I studied Spanish in school. I will say, though, that although I learned Castilian Spanish I find Mexican Spanish easier on the ear just in terms of sounds, more "melodious", but also easier to understand. I have more trouble with Puerto Rican or other Caribbean Spanish, A few of my distant relatives moved to Argentina, so I'm always interested in how they speak Spanish, and it seems to be there's an Italian "sound" and cadence to it.

Coincidentally, this one from the same series came up, where the Mexican man and a man who is a French speaker from Montreal try to understand Catalan. I don't really know why, but just as it was when I spent a semester there decades ago, I find the Catalan extremely easy to understand. I thought it strange that the Spanish speaker was slower than I was, and the French speaker was hopeless. I think it may be that there are similarities to dialects spoken in Northwestern Italy, especially Liguria.

Duarte, sorry, I didn't see it before.
Lol Possibly a joke. Not sure he would say that.

The voice does have a strong "mineiro" accent, but no, it's not like the accent of the "taxista" that took us to Monte Verde. No comparison. That one spoke sort of a dialect. lol

My mother-in-law is like your wife ("Italian" from ES).

Cheers

No problem, Regio.
There is not a joke, lol, lol. It’s really our Governor Romeu Zema talking. lol lol. Here in BH there is a lot of joke when talking about him in any place. Some radio stations playing the horn, with soundtrack of country music before broadcasting any Zema’s speaks. But that speech is true, lol, lol.

No problem, Regio.
There is not a joke, lol, lol. It’s really our Governor Romeu Zema talking. lol lol. Here in BH there is a lot of joke when talking about him in any place. Some radio stations playing the horn, with soundtrack of country music before broadcasting any Zema’s speaks. But that speech is true, lol, lol.

Veryl cool video Angela. I also cannot understand the Spanish spoken in the Caribbean and Venezuela. I understood 95% of what the girl from Catalunia said. But, as she said, she spokes slowly. As for swallowing syllables and vowels, this is what most is done in European Portuguese. The girl from Catalonia speaks Catalan with the accent of Castilian spoken in Castilla y León.

As for the words pronounced in video, that is the translation in Portuguese:

colher (spoon) in Portuguese;
pernas (legs) in Portuguese;
vela (candle) in Portuguese;
aniversário (birthday) in Portuguese.
pato (duck) in Portuguese;
canário (canary) in Portuguese.

Cheers.

Spanish vs Italian vs French vs Portuguese - Romance Languages Comparison.

It's difficult for me to know if as an Italian speaker I would understand the Mexican man, because I studied Spanish in school. I will say, though, that although I learned Castilian Spanish I find Mexican Spanish easier on the ear just in terms of sounds, more "melodious", but also easier to understand. I have more trouble with Puerto Rican or other Caribbean Spanish, A few of my distant relatives moved to Argentina, so I'm always interested in how they speak Spanish, and it seems to be there's an Italian "sound" and cadence to it.

Coincidentally, this one from the same series came up, where the Mexican man and a man who is a French speaker from Montreal try to understand Catalan. I don't really know why, but just as it was when I spent a semester there decades ago, I find the Catalan extremely easy to understand. I thought it strange that the Spanish speaker was slower than I was, and the French speaker was hopeless. I think it may be that there are similarities to dialects spoken in Northwestern Italy, especially Liguria.

There are many Italians in Barcelona, and yes, it is very easy to communicate between Catalan and Italian. I assume the connection is Catalan-Occitan-Italian.

French is also very easy for me, but only in reading (easier even than Italian). Pronunciation is what makes French difficult for me.

There are many Italians in Barcelona, and yes, it is very easy to communicate between Catalan and Italian. I assume the connection is Catalan-Occitan-Italian.

French is also very easy for me, but only in reading (easier even than Italian). Pronunciation is what makes French difficult for me.

It's the same way for me with French. I found it extremely easy to learn to read it, but understanding spoken French, especially if it was spoken quickly, was much more difficult. I read somewhere that Italian shares more actual vocabulary with French than with any of the other Romance languages, so that may explain it for me.

Speaking it myself wasn't difficult. I'm a bit of a mimic, and Ligurian has some sounds that are French sounding, so aping the sounds wasn't that hard.

Quick English course for football (soccer) players who speak Portuguese as native language and need to understand English to communicate with the coach (comedy).

Fluent Portuguese - Subtitles in English can be activated in settings.
A person with basic Portuguese can succeed in everyday communication. But only a person fluent in Portuguese is able to understand the meaning of phrases like 'a lie has a short leg'.

A person with basic Portuguese can succeed in everyday communication. But only a person fluent in Portuguese is able to understand the meaning of phrases like 'a lie has a short leg'.

Very funny, Duarte. I liked it. :)

This video is so funny. Erudite Portuguese grammar can be very archaic and extremely hard for average speakers who haven't been reading a lot of classical literature and preferably also love studying grammar. Lol. Even though I must say I never found verb conjugation of the 2nd person plural using "vós" hard at all. Except for maybe 1 in 30 or 40 verbs, it's all a matter of simply memorizing a particular suffix for each verb tense and applying it every time you have to use that person conjugation. I never understood why people found that such a byzantine question. ;-p

By the way, you know what's funniest in the video? In the end the boss finally approves the verb conjugation used by his employee, but the pronoun placement is completely wrong. I wonder if that was intentional or not even the producers of the video knew it. lol.

(For those who may wonder what I mean, in Portuguese when you use the mesoclisis in the conditional past future you put the direct and indirect object pronouns embedded within the verb between the root and the conjugation particles, but if you have a pronoun ending in /s/ you must drop this final consonant before a 3rd person pronoun "o-, -a" and then add /l/ to it, therefore: daria + vos + a "I would give ye her" >>> dar-vo-la-ia, not dar-vos-la-ia). I know, it's complex, but it's also so elegant, isn't it?!)

This video is so funny. Erudite Portuguese grammar can be very archaic and extremely hard for average speakers who haven't been reading a lot of classical literature and preferably also love studying grammar. Lol. Even though I must say I never found verb conjugation of the 2nd person plural using "vós" hard at all. Except for maybe 1 in 30 or 40 verbs, it's all a matter of simply memorizing a particular suffix for each verb tense and applying it every time you have to use that person conjugation. I never understood why people found that such a byzantine question. ;-p

By the way, you know what's funniest in the video? In the end the boss finally approves the verb conjugation used by his employee, but the pronoun placement is completely wrong. I wonder if that was intentional or not even the producers of the video knew it. lol.

(For those who may wonder what I mean, in Portuguese when you use the mesoclisis in the conditional past future you put the direct and indirect object pronouns embedded within the verb between the root and the conjugation particles, but if you have a pronoun ending in /s/ you must drop this final consonant before a 3rd person pronoun "o-, -a" and then add /l/ to it, therefore: daria + vos + a "I would give ye her" >>> dar-vo-la-ia, not dar-vos-la-ia). I know, it's complex, but it's also so elegant, isn't it?!)

lol. :LOL:
I believe it was a mistake due to the lack of knowledge of the grammar by the authors of the video and I do not believe that the ‘big boss’ has succumbed to the incorrect use of the verb conjugation in the second person of the plural. I believe that the ‘big boss’ is also not 100% fluent in Portuguese. I think the whole time he was ‘trolling’ the subordinate and neither of them could contest each other. lol :LOL:

EDIT: I have never used the second plural person in my life. The use of the second person plural was only necessary into Portuguese tests at school to sink the whole class, which, when passed, passed with the minimum grade. A terror, lol. :LOL:

I'm spanish speaker and speak also catalan, once I thought I aknowleged some people who spoke catalan and finaly, it was very funny and we had great time together, they were piamontese:grin::grin:, i live in france and occitan is very understandable for me just for my knowledge of catalan. I can understand very well to southern brazilian, but iberic portugese I've had to study it, it is I think becouse it has many more vowels than standard spanish

I'm spanish speaker and speak also catalan, once I thought I aknowleged some people who spoke catalan and finaly, it was very funny and we had great time together, they were piamontese:grin::grin:, i live in france and occitan is very understandable for me just for my knowledge of catalan. I can understand very well to southern brazilian, but iberic portugese I've had to study it, it is I think becouse it has many more vowels than standard spanish

This is one of the most powerful and beautiful monologues in Portuguese language that I have seen: Bibi Ferreira, the multifaceted singer and actress that died only last year at 98 years old, reciting an excerpt of Gota d'Água, the amazing musical play written and composed by Chico Buarque and inspired by the story of Medea and Jason:

And here you can see and hear her singing in the same play:

Construção (building) - Portuguese Subtitled in Italian

https://youtu.be/ke2R4SdLTvI

This is a scene from the 2010 Oscar winning for Best Foreign Film "The Secret Of Her Eyes" ( El secreto de sus ojos), where you can clearly hear the "porteño" accent of Argentina (similar to ours in Uruguay)

https://youtu.be/ke2R4SdLTvI
This is a scene from the 2010 Oscar winning for Best Foreign Film "The Secret Of Her Eyes" ( El secreto de sus ojos), where you can clearly hear the "porteño" accent of Argentina (similar to ours in Uruguay)

It almost sounds to me like Spanish spoken by an Italian, or at least with a lot of Italian tones. Hence why I find it so easy to understand :)

This thread has been viewed 39467 times.

Back