Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: Car maker gender: which cars are more masculine or feminine?

  1. #1
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,979
    Points
    751,262
    Level
    100
    Points: 751,262, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    2 members found this post helpful.

    Car maker gender: which cars are more masculine or feminine?



    I was mentioning to someone that Mini Coopers are almost always owned by (usually stylish, middle-aged) women. I looked it up online and indeed Minis are possibly the most women-oriented cars out there. That made me want to reflect about how feminine or masculine an imagine various car makers had. Impressions can vary between people, so I'd like to have your opinion. Here is how I would classify car makers, without delving into specific models as that would be too tedious and time consuming.

    - Very feminine: Mini Cooper, Fiat, Lancia, Citroën, Renault, Dacia

    - Slightly feminine: Volvo, Toyota, Suzuki

    - Neutral: Volkswagen (+ SEAT & Skoda), Mercedes-Benz, Opel, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Kia, Jaguar, Maserati, Tesla

    - Slightly masculine: BMW, Mazda, Subaru, Hyundai, Chrysler, Range Rover, DS

    - Very masculine: Audi, Peugeot, Ford, Jeep, Aston Martin, Lamborghini


    Some makers are hard to classify as it highly depends on the model. That includes Porsche, Chevrolet, Ferrari and Alpha Romeo, which make both very feminine and very masculine cars.


    EDIT: for the purpose of this thread please only take into consideration modern cars. Older cars cannot be easily compared with modern ones. For example, cars from the 1970's and 80's were very angular, which made them more masculine whatever the brand.
    Last edited by Maciamo; 25-02-20 at 12:24.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    09-06-18
    Posts
    208
    Points
    6,525
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,525, Level: 23
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    I disagree completely with this classification.

    Peugeot, Citroën and Renault are basically identical type of cars.

    The Lancia Delta Integrale is probably the most masculine car ever.

  3. #3
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bicicleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-01-13
    Location
    Zwevegem, Belgium
    Posts
    5,687
    Points
    55,781
    Level
    73
    Points: 55,781, Level: 73
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,269
    Overall activity: 33.0%


    Country: Belgium - Flanders



    and what about the colours?
    very important IMO

  4. #4
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,605
    Points
    381,871
    Level
    100
    Points: 381,871, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Fun topic, Maciamo. :)

    There's a big difference for me between the cars I think are beautiful and the ones I would or have bought for myself.

    My favorites based on sheer aesthetics.
    Lamborghini:



    A red Ferrari:


    Porsche


    I don't know what it means. One of my old bosses, a car maniac who had about four restored vintage cars, told me it meant I liked brutal men. I objected to the adjective. :)

    My first grown up car was an Audi.

    What I drove when I was a busy mom driving a bunch of kids to sporting events was an Acura sort of like this below. I hated the look, but it was practical.


    Lately I've been driving an Acura TLX.


    Volvos are better now, but they used to be so ugly that nothing would have induced me to buy one. I don't even know where you could buy an Aston Martin. The ones I see may be vintage; they're tiny and look like death traps.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    09-06-18
    Posts
    208
    Points
    6,525
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,525, Level: 23
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Ethnic group
    Catalan
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    My car is like this:

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...rati-coupe-gt/

    There are many different Maseratis. I think the coupe is a very manly one, since it has the traditional distribution of weights of sports cars (front engine and rear transmission), and it is sportive, but not aggressively so. In fact, I do not think that 2-seater sports cars are very manly. In fact, they tend to be feminine, since men usually buy them to impress women. Instead, a Maserati coupe will never be bought to impress a woman. But it will be bought by a man, to enjoy driving it.

    But as said, the most manly car ever is:

    https://www.motor.es/noticias/lancia...201962722.html

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    shissem@san.rr.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-05-17
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    315
    Points
    10,703
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,703, Level: 31
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

    Ethnic group
    English/German
    Country: USA - California



    I think it's interesting how our ideas of feminine and masculine have changed. The original Jaguar XKE was and is considered one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. It was brought back in around 2000, in a larger format, but was considered too feminine in appearance (sold poorly?) and was "uglied up" to make it more masculine.

    jaguar1.jpgjaguar2.jpg

    The Maxda MX-6 coupe was also considered to be too pretty, too feminine to sell well.

  7. #7
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,686
    Points
    154,398
    Level
    100
    Points: 154,398, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    I love my SUV

    There can be no covenants between men and lions

  8. #8
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,979
    Points
    751,262
    Level
    100
    Points: 751,262, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I think it's interesting how our ideas of feminine and masculine have changed. The original Jaguar XKE was and is considered one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. It was brought back in around 2000, in a larger format, but was considered too feminine in appearance (sold poorly?) and was "uglied up" to make it more masculine.

    jaguar1.jpgjaguar2.jpg

    The Maxda MX-6 coupe was also considered to be too pretty, too feminine to sell well.
    I am talking about current models still on the road, so mostly cars from the last 10 years.

  9. #9
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,979
    Points
    751,262
    Level
    100
    Points: 751,262, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    It's also important to take into consideration that Japanese car models vary a lot between North America, Europe and Japan. American-only models are the largest. Japan has a market for very small reactangular cars called Kei cars, which aren't found in Europe (or North America I guess) and have different car plates in Japan (yellow written in black instead of white written in green).

    Toyota Pixis



    Honda N Box



    There are very few American cars in Europe except for Ford. GM, Cadillac, Buick and Chevrolet are almost unheard of. Jeep and Chrysler are present by rare.

  10. #10
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,979
    Points
    751,262
    Level
    100
    Points: 751,262, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    and what about the colours?
    very important IMO
    Of course, but that really depend on the model too. So let's keep it simple and just discuss the overall "feel" of the brand.

  11. #11
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,979
    Points
    751,262
    Level
    100
    Points: 751,262, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by Farstar View Post
    I disagree completely with this classification.

    Peugeot, Citroën and Renault are basically identical type of cars.
    Absolutely not.

    This is Peugeot (aggressive, masculine look, popular with the armed forces in Belgium and France).







    Now here are the rounded, feminine Renaults and Citröen:

    Renault Zoe



    Renault Clio





    Citroën C1




    Citroën C3





    The Lancia Delta Integrale is probably the most masculine car ever.
    That's a vintage car. Never seen it. Not sold anymore. So irrelevant for this thread. Modern Lancia look like this (the Ypsillon is the only one that is still sold):



  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    3,723
    Points
    68,375
    Level
    81
    Points: 68,375, Level: 81
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,375
    Overall activity: 79.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I love my SUV

    I have the 2016 model :)

    ... also a fast boy ATS Caddy, and last year I sold an old Lesbian Subaru Outback. LoL


  13. #13
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,605
    Points
    381,871
    Level
    100
    Points: 381,871, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Well, all anybody seems to be buying here are SUVs, and I'd classify them as "masculine" looking, I guess.

    Maybe the most masculine car I can think of: Jeep Wrangler.


    I've been thinking about a summer retirement place in the Berkshires. If I stayed over for winter I'd consider that car or at least a Jeep Cherokee.

    I don't think of femininity as diminutive necessarily, so those Peugeots don't look "feminine" to me, really.

    That old classic Jaguar look is a bit feminine, I guess, or neutral? if you define graceful lines as feminine. If something currently available looked like that I'd buy it in a heartbeat when it's time to turn this one in. I was thinking about a LIncoln Continental, which my husband used to drive. I really like its lines, and it doesn't scream "male" I guess.


  14. #14
    Banned Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    10-05-19
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,261
    Points
    17,469
    Level
    40
    Points: 17,469, Level: 40
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1

    Ethnic group
    North Italian
    Country: Australia



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farstar View Post
    I disagree completely with this classification.

    Peugeot, Citroën and Renault are basically identical type of cars.

    The Lancia Delta Integrale is probably the most masculine car ever.
    Agree, also masculine are alfa-romeo and ferrari.....while fiats are fem..

    Vw are fem.
    Porcshe, bmw are man.

    Volvo are fem
    Skoda are man

    Toyota and most others japanese vehicles are gender neutral

  15. #15
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,605
    Points
    381,871
    Level
    100
    Points: 381,871, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Volvos aren't as ugly anymore. I just looked them up. Interesting that my image of them from the past is so stuck in my mind that I've never looked into them at all.

    I don't know if I'd say "feminine", but a more graceful design than they used to have, yes, although I really don't like that "boxy" front.


  16. #16
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    1,283
    Points
    48,048
    Level
    67
    Points: 48,048, Level: 67
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 74.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    1 members found this post helpful.
    This is the car of my wife. The SUV Honda HRV. She loves it a lot. It’s a comfortable car. It has a beautiful design:





  17. #17
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    3,723
    Points
    68,375
    Level
    81
    Points: 68,375, Level: 81
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,375
    Overall activity: 79.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Well, all anybody seems to be buying here are SUVs, and I'd classify them as "masculine" looking, I guess.

    Maybe the most masculine car I can think of: Jeep Wrangler.


    I've been thinking about a summer retirement place in the Berkshires. If I stayed over for winter I'd consider that car or at least a Jeep Cherokee.

    I don't think of femininity as diminutive necessarily, so those Peugeots don't look "feminine" to me, really.

    That old classic Jaguar look is a bit feminine, I guess, or neutral? if you define graceful lines as feminine. If something currently available looked like that I'd buy it in a heartbeat when it's time to turn this one in. I was thinking about a LIncoln Continental, which my husband used to drive. I really like its lines, and it doesn't scream "male" I guess.

    If you get a Jeep, don’t forget to do the Jeep Wave around other Jeeps, especially if they wave at you first.

    It’s a Jeep thing. lol


  18. #18
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    1,283
    Points
    48,048
    Level
    67
    Points: 48,048, Level: 67
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 74.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    I have the 2016 model :)

    ... also a fast boy ATS Caddy, and last year I sold an old Lesbian Subaru Outback. LoL

    @Salento:
    The Subaru are out of Brazil. The name not help much. Subaru reminds “Suruba” that in vulgar Brazilian Portuguese means bacchanal, LOL.

    Options in the market are many.
    Americans: Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep.
    Germans: VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche.
    British: Land-Rover, Jaguar, Cooper.
    Italians: FIAT, Ferrari, Alfa-Romeo, Lamborghini.
    French: Peugeot, Citröen, Renault.
    Japanese: Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Suzuki.
    Chinese: JAC, Chevy, Lifan.
    Korean: Hyundai, Kia.
    Sweden: Volvo.
    Spain: SEAT.
    Various models for all tastes.
    The Chinese, although new in the market, have a very aggressive political of prices. Low prices and 5 years of guarantee. If they gain the consumer confidence, which is still suspicious of the quality of Chinese cars, they will become unbeatable.
    All Hyundai, Kia, JAC, Chevy and Lifan models are produced under license by the Brazilian automaker CAOA in his factories, which also, under license, produces all models of FORD trucks in Brazil.
    The others are produced in Brazil by the factories of the respective automakers in the country, which also import to Brazil some models from the countries of origin.
    The Chinese are taking advantage of CAOA's expertise and distribution network in Brazil to try to win consumer confidence.
    I personally prefer cars produced by Honda and Toyota, and I only buy cars manufactured by these two automakers.

    Good Night and cheers to all :)

  19. #19
    Regular Member Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    shissem@san.rr.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-05-17
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    315
    Points
    10,703
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,703, Level: 31
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

    Ethnic group
    English/German
    Country: USA - California



    1 members found this post helpful.
    In the past, if I may, feminine was defined by how the body contours of the car matched those of a woman. Thus a Jaguar XKE was feminine because its quarter panels mimicked the curve of a woman's breasts and posterior. I hope no one thinks that's sexist . . .

    The sharp creases in current Japanese designs seem to negate femininity by obliterating the curve.

    The fascias of the most current Toyota SUVs, Highlander and RAV4, actually seem to scowl at you, exhibiting some kind of not very well hidden anger. That seems to be on the macho end of the spectrum.

    BMWs scowl as well, though less comically. With them its the headlights which appear hooded, and somewhat ominous (my wife has an M3, very ominous, and very loud).

    I agree that Audi is masculine, but more in the way the design looks, to me at least, like a Brooks Brothers suit. Well tailored, not ostentatious.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    shissem@san.rr.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-05-17
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    315
    Points
    10,703
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,703, Level: 31
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

    Ethnic group
    English/German
    Country: USA - California



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Volvos aren't as ugly anymore.
    It's interesting that Volvos, when they were ugly, were the favorite rides of college professors and social radicals. When they got pretty Volvo lost this audience, who now prefer Subarus (they're funky, you know).

  21. #21
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    3,723
    Points
    68,375
    Level
    81
    Points: 68,375, Level: 81
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,375
    Overall activity: 79.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duarte View Post
    @Salento:
    The Subaru are out of Brazil. The name not help much. Subaru reminds “Suruba” that in vulgar Brazilian Portuguese means bacchanal, LOL.

    Options in the market are many.
    Americans: Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep.
    Germans: VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche.
    British: Land-Rover, Jaguar, Cooper.
    Italians: FIAT, Ferrari, Alfa-Romeo, Lamborghini.
    French: Peugeot, Citröen, Renault.
    Japanese: Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Suzuki.
    Chinese: JAC, Chevy, Lifan.
    Korean: Hyundai, Kia.
    Sweden: Volvo.
    Spain: SEAT.
    Various models for all tastes.
    The Chinese, although new in the market, have a very aggressive political of prices. Low prices and 5 years of guarantee. If they gain the consumer confidence, which is still suspicious of the quality of Chinese cars, they will become unbeatable.
    All Hyundai, Kia, JAC, Chevy and Lifan models are produced under license by the Brazilian automaker CAOA in his factories, which also, under license, produces all models of FORD trucks in Brazil.
    The others are produced in Brazil by the factories of the respective automakers in the country, which also import to Brazil some models from the countries of origin.
    The Chinese are taking advantage of CAOA's expertise and distribution network in Brazil to try to win consumer confidence.
    I personally prefer cars produced by Honda and Toyota, and I only buy cars manufactured by these two automakers.

    Good Night and cheers to all :)
    I don’t remember the last time I saw a French car in the United States (I don’t think I ever did)

    I wonder why!

  22. #22
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    1,283
    Points
    48,048
    Level
    67
    Points: 48,048, Level: 67
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 74.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    I don’t remember the last time I saw a French car in the United States (I don’t think I ever did)

    I wonder why!
    Currently, PSA Peugeot Citroen manufactures the Peugeot 208 and Peugeot 2008 models in Porto Real in State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, as well as its brothers Citroën C3 and Citroen Aircross. This is the current car of my son, the Peugeot 3008. It’s beautiful:




  23. #23
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    17,605
    Points
    381,871
    Level
    100
    Points: 381,871, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    In the past, if I may, feminine was defined by how the body contours of the car matched those of a woman. Thus a Jaguar XKE was feminine because its quarter panels mimicked the curve of a woman's breasts and posterior. I hope no one thinks that's sexist . . .

    The sharp creases in current Japanese designs seem to negate femininity by obliterating the curve.

    The fascias of the most current Toyota SUVs, Highlander and RAV4, actually seem to scowl at you, exhibiting some kind of not very well hidden anger. That seems to be on the macho end of the spectrum.

    BMWs scowl as well, though less comically. With them its the headlights which appear hooded, and somewhat ominous (my wife has an M3, very ominous, and very loud).

    I agree that Audi is masculine, but more in the way the design looks, to me at least, like a Brooks Brothers suit. Well tailored, not ostentatious.
    Is there anything currently around which has those more "feminine" lines? I don't like the RAV4 look at all.

    Not offended at all, for what it's worth, but then I'm not that kind of "feminist". :) You have a very poetic way of expressing yourself.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    shissem@san.rr.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-05-17
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    315
    Points
    10,703
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,703, Level: 31
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

    Ethnic group
    English/German
    Country: USA - California



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Is there anything currently around which has those more "feminine" lines? I don't like the RAV4 look at all.

    Not offended at all, for what it's worth, but then I'm not that kind of "feminist". :) You have a very poetic way of expressing yourself.
    Stop, you'll make me blush . . .

    As far as why there are no more feminine lines in auto designs, per what I tried to say above, somehow we consumers changed. What we used to accept as simply beautiful (the XKE) is now rejected as not masculine enough. The circa 2000 Jaguar sold poorly as did the Mazda MX-6 because they looked like chick-cars. Apparently women are willing to buy masculine cars but men won't buy the feminine. Maybe modern men have issues with their own masculinity . . .

    I am personally put-off by what I think of as the faux macho look of the RAV4; all hard creases and scowling face. It's comical because the RAV4 is really just a family station wagon with a lift kit. BTW, I own a 2011 RAV4, the previous variant, and I have no problem with family station wagons (but then my wife lets me drive her M3).

  25. #25
    Regular Member Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    shissem@san.rr.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-05-17
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    315
    Points
    10,703
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,703, Level: 31
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

    Ethnic group
    English/German
    Country: USA - California



    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    I don’t remember the last time I saw a French car in the United States (I don’t think I ever did)

    I wonder why!
    The French burned a lot of bridges (is that the right metaphor?) with the truly awful cars they exported to the US during the early VW Bug craze. The Renault Dauphine is a prime example. Those kind of cars did not survive contact with American highways. The French automakers have never really tried to come back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •