Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
For hard liquor, I like bourbon whiskey such as Blantons.

For cocktails, I enjoy Tanqueray and Tonic, as well as Negroni.

But when I come home, sometimes I like to unwind, with this special drink I make:

It is a shot of Campari, with a white, or rosé wine, and ice. In this case, it is with a Sancerre.

yvi56B2m.jpg

Cheers!

Interesting subject.

I'm fond of a wide range of liqours but my wife likes gin, so winter/fall it's martinis or gibsons (I love pickled onions) and spring/summer it's bombay and tonic, usually with lemon (it's a great time to be a gin lover with a multitude of new small batch concoctions available). A special summer treat is sangria and, of course, I have my own secret recipe. My wife and I have a modern division of labor, I made drinks with ice in them, my wife makes those sans ice.

I'm also a big champagne fan; always looking for excuses to celebrate. While we normally drink California wines, for champagne it's Veuve Clicquot.

By the way, I had a gin and tonic in Leipzig a couple of years ago and was amazed how great it was. The gin was my usual brand so I suspect that the tonic available in Europe must have a different recipe than that in America. Anybody know if that's true?

For hard liquor, I like bourbon whiskey such as Blantons.

For cocktails, I enjoy Tanqueray and Tonic, as well as Negroni.

But when I come home, sometimes I like to unwind, with this special drink I make:

It is a shot of Campari, with a white, or rosé wine, and ice. In this case, it is with a Sancerre.

yvi56B2m.jpg

Cheers!

I'm not much of a hard liquor drinker.

Other than wine, I like drinks made with Campari too, from just a Campari and soda, to Campari and wine, a Negroni, and an Americano.

For brunch I like Bellinis. I like Prosecco on its own too, of course.

I like after dinner liqueurs too, like Amaretto, or Limoncello, or creme de menthe.

If I do drink hard liquor it's always in a mixed drink. In summer I'll have an occasional Cosmo, or a gin and tonic because I find it refreshing. I love the tropical drinks too, especially a pina colada, and a strawberry daiquiri. Being in south Florida a lot I started to really like mojitos. They're dangerous for someone like me, because I get tipsy after one.

In winter, I might have a nightcap of cognac or sherry, but that's about it.

Despite the fact I like these things I drink very little. The older I get the less wine seems to agree with me, although I don't have that problem in Italy. God knows what they add to it to preserve it. So, it's usually just an occasional night cap, or a drink when I go out to dinner. I don't like the effect alcohol has on me so quickly, so I never have more than one. There's also the fact that it puts me right to sleep, which is good if I'm at home, but not so good when it's 8:30 and you're in the restaurant. :) I suppose that's one reason I like the Campari mixed drinks; they're so much less strong.

I'm not a big fan of distillates, and rarely drink liqueur, let alone, say, "mixtures". Perhaps I'm a bit square. I really like only wine and beer. Way more the former (dry, and generally red) and less the latter. Since who knows when, I usually taste ~375 ml of wine on fridays, ~375 ml on saturdays, a little beer on sundays and nothing on the other days. :)

All sporadic less water

Beer 0.0% when I eat at home with alcohol in the street
vaso-cana-20-cl-12ud.jpg

bodegon-BK.png

grifos-de-cocina-3.jpg

After much more sporadically still other spirits of course, wine, cuba libre, Jérez, Málaga Virgen or wine from raisins of barrel and everything that comes in handy, carajillo. I intend to take it regularly on all the wine from raisins but I forget it.

Last edited:
Other than red wine, a Bombay & Tonic, a Negroni and a single malt scotch usually from one of these brands: Oban, Dalmore, Aberlour. Occasionally a single beer (after the first beer it kind of loses its taste for me.

I'm not a big fan of distillates, and rarely drink liqueur, let alone, say, "mixtures". Perhaps I'm a bit square. I really like only wine and beer. Way more the former (dry, and generally red) and less the latter. Since who knows when, I usually taste ~375 ml of wine on fridays, ~375 ml on saturdays, a little beer on sundays and nothing on the other days. :)

Did your parents have a glass of wine with their main meals? My father always did, but not my mother, except occasionally a half a glass of homemade wine with water. I think it was about women not drinking as I never saw any of my aunts drink a full glass either. She also absolutely loathed how people behave when they're drunk, which she probably passed on to me, although I'm not as vehement as she was...

My poor father always felt her eagle eye on him. :)

Did your parents have a glass of wine with their main meals? My father always did, but not my mother, except occasionally a half a glass of homemade wine with water. I think it was about women not drinking as I never saw any of my aunts drink a full glass either. She also absolutely loathed how people behave when they're drunk, which she probably passed on to me, although I'm not as vehement as she was...

My father never lived down the only time in his life that he ever got drunk. He drank more ouzo than he should have and threw up all over the house. My mother never let him forget it. He was a one drink with the meal type of man, either ouzo or tsipouro as an aperitif with appetizers (feta cheese, pickled stuff, anchovies, etc.). In Greece when I was growing up there was no set age to buy alcohol because your father would send you down to the store for a beer or a bottle of ouzo or wine. When I was about 13 or 14 me and my buddies would go out for bifteki with fries and a small bottle of wine. Nobody said anything about it. You could not go out to the clubs until 17 but since at that time I looked older than my 15 years I could get in at 15. Greeks did not have an alcohol problem. They still don't but I think people drink a little bit more. I have only gotten drunk once in my life also when the night before leaving for the US. The trip to NY and then on to Dallas was brutal.

Last edited:
My father never lived down the only time in his life that he ever got drunk. He drank more ouzo than he should have and threw up all over the house. My mother never let him forget it. He was a one drink with the meal type of man, either ouzo or tsipouro as an aperitif with appetizers (feta cheese, pickled, stuff, anchovies, etc.). In Greece when I was growing up there was no set age to buy alcohol because your father would send you down to the store for a beer or a bottle of ouzo or wine. When I was about 13 or 14 me and my buddies would go out for bifteki with fries and a small bottle of wine. Nobody said anything about it. You could not go out to the clubs until 17 but since at that time I looked older than my 15 years I could get in at 15. Greeks did not have an alcohol problem. They still don't but I think people drink a little bit more.

Those are the kind of memories I have too. The only time I ever saw my uncles or my father even "tipsy" was usually at weddings, communions etc., but never falling down drunk or ill. It made for a "brutta figura" if nothing else. There were a few old men in my mother's village who drank too much wine, but it was a matter for a lot of clucking of tongues by the women.

If I'm to be honest I have that attitude too. My husband drank too much when he was at university, although he has an incredible capacity and so never really looked "drunk". Once that was over he almost never got drunk; only with this one particular friend. One night, after a "business dinner" of Scotch, then wine, then Irish coffees he came home deathly ill and made a mess in the bathroom. I was beyond pissed, left him in the bathroom to deal with it, and slept in the guest room. He was appalled that I didn't hold his head while he was sick. Forget that; it was all self-inflicted and suffering the consequences was an object lesson.

That was one of the only bits of advice my mother insisted on imparting as far as choosing a mate: never marry a drinker. Needless to say, a drug user was in there too, along with gamblers. Those things, along with domestic violence, were the only failings which meant I could come back home. Anything else I was supposed to work out. I don't know if they have it in the Balkans, but we have a saying something like: You made your bed, now lay in it. :)

My father was always a quiet "sober" man, in both meanings of the word. He drank, but never showed it. My mom, on the other hand (bless her heart), was always the life of the party. I still remember joining my parents for some party, I can' imagine why I was invited, and after some drinking games in which my mother joined whole-heartedly (of course), how I spent the rest of the evening holding her head over the toilet. Good times.

Sporadically. My grandfathers did, but not my parents.
My parents say my grandparents used to give children wine with water and sugar (my parents didn't do that with me, unfortunately, je je). So I suppose they drank more as children than now. ah ah Kidding apart, they don't follow the "tradition" and really drink too little (and sporadically), and actually I've never seen my father drunk in my entire life; and that's because he never got drunk. It hasn't anything to do with his personality. My grandfathers used to drink wine daily though, and more than once, with meals. Afaik, my grandmothers and aunts of both sides drank very little comparatively to grandfathers and uncles, so what you said makes perfectly sense to me.

Last edited:
I drink a small glass of red wine, with a good lunch, maybe once every quarter. My father still drinks one per day. Apart from that (and coffee), just water.

Just water, water and water for me. I prefer slightly alkaline waters like Aqua Panna.

Just water, water and water for me. I prefer slightly alkaline waters like Aqua Panna.

I am a fan of coconut water, but brands like Vita Coco that do not add any extra sugar.

But coconut water straight from the coconut is ideal. Last time I had that was in the Dominican Republic.

I like drink Beer, Scotch (Whisky), cachaça aged in oak barrels (a virgin cachaça I prefer to drink in the form of special cocktails, such as caipirinha). But right now, I'm only drinking natural passion fruit juice, obtained from the frozen fruit pulp. It is a natural tranquilizer for these difficult confinement times. I sleep that is a beauty.

Last edited:
I honestly miss drinking wine and long cocktails. I miss hanging out with my friends too. But due to covid-19, I am staying at home and started to embrace fresh juices, teas and more glasses of water. This is a serious disease and we have to stay healthy and keep our immune system strong.

I drink water from the tap... it tastes superb, especially when I am very thirsty after a long brisk walk.
All Lithuanian tap water comes from underground water wells, it is well monitored and natural (only filtered by from excess iron and manganesium inasmuch as I know), so it is better than water in plastic bottles for sure. Again, sometimes I like buying "soft" water with very little minerals in it, as it tastes sweet compared to natural underground water from the tap.

In winter (which still feels like now a bit) I drink something warm like simple weak green tea with a bit of natural lemon juice. I love hot chocolate when it is really cold and dark outside.

I drink coffee too, it may be very pleasant especially with a bit of freshly ground cardamon... but if I have too many cups, then the feeling is not good - I get sleepy, loose energy and get irritated about everything with no reason.

Last edited:
H6SooLhl.jpg

Bloody Caesar

It is basically a Bloody Mary, except instead of tomato juice, you use clamato. I like to make mine very spicy.

Not only have I learned a lot about cooking, I've learned quite a bit about making drinks as well, during lock-down.

This thread has been viewed 18848 times.

Back