Black Death mass grave found in England.

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.medievalists.net/2020/02/black-death-mass-grave-discovered/

"
BonesLarge-e1582133061528.jpg

[FONT=&quot]A mass burial of bodies, known to be victims of the Black Death, has been discovered at the site of a 14th-century monastery hospital at Thornton Abbey, in eastern England.
Archaeologists from the University of Sheffield revealed 48 skeletons, many of which were children, at the extremely rare Black Death burial site. The presence of such a large burial site, containing both male and female adults, as well as 27 children, suggests the local community was overwhelmed by the Black Death and was left unable to cope with the number of people who died.

[/FONT]

"[FONT=&quot]“Despite the fact it is now estimated that up to half the population of England perished during the Black Death, multiple graves associated with the event are extremely rare in this country, and it seems local communities continued to dispose of their loved ones in as ordinary a way as possible,” he said. “The only two previously identified 14th-century sites where Yersinia pestis (the bacterium responsible for the plague) has been identified are historically documented cemeteries in London, where the civic authorities were forced to open new emergency burial grounds to cope with the very large numbers of the urban dead.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
“The finding of a previously unknown and completely unexpected mass burial dating to this period in a quiet corner of rural Lincolnshire is thus far unique, and sheds light into the real difficulties faced by a small community ill prepared to face such a devastating threat.”"[/FONT]

BonesLarge-e1582133061528.jpg

[FONT=&quot]A mass burial of bodies, known to be victims of the Black Death, has been discovered at the site of a 14th-century monastery hospital at Thornton Abbey, in eastern England.
Archaeologists from the University of Sheffield revealed 48 skeletons, many of which were children, at the extremely rare Black Death burial site. The presence of such a large burial site, containing both male and female adults, as well as 27 children, suggests the local community was overwhelmed by the Black Death and was left unable to cope with the number of people who died.

[/FONT]

I am not surprised that the number that died is that high, as on my Ancestry tree I seem to descend from a lot of lines that became landholding right after the Plague, including my mother's direct male line.

This thread has been viewed 2906 times.

Back