Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: the suffix "gan" is turkic ?

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

1 members found this post helpful.

the suffix "gan" is turkic ?

if "gan" is turkic then why does it feature among irish surnames ie reagan, maddigan, corrigan etc etc. fot example kurgan comes from the old turkic word korgan of which derives from the sound shifted korigan.

corrigan supposedly means spear in old irish celtic whereas kori means to protect in turkic.

are the irish turks ?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 451
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Or maybe the Turks are Celts? Gall, Ghur ?? etc. :P

For me the interesting thing is that Greek had two suffixes -then and -de, with ablative and allative use respectively that to me look similar to proto-Turkic -den/-ten and -de/-te suffixes (ablative, locative).

The pronouns of proto-Turkic also seem related to IE and Uralic ones. And the interrogative 'kim' (=who) etc.

Banned Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - BY143483
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1

Ethnic group
    North Italian

Quote Originally Posted by A. Papadimitriou View Post
    Or maybe the Turks are Celts? Gall, Ghur ?? etc. :P

For me the interesting thing is that Greek had two suffixes -then and -de, with ablative and allative use respectively that to me look similar to proto-Turkic -den/-ten and -de/-te suffixes (ablative, locative).

The pronouns of proto-Turkic also seem related to IE and Uralic ones. And the interrogative 'kim' (=who) etc.
    The turkic people come from Central asia .................Turkey the country was only invaded and took over for the first time by Turkic people just over 1000 years ago...........what do you mean they are celts
    Turkey the country was called Anatolia before the turkic invasion and in the ancient world it was called Asia Minor

Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian

Well, the combination of sounds g+a+n does not sound particularly distinctive for me to be exclusively attributable to one sole language family. The same combinations of phonemes or very similar phonemes can be used by totally unrelated language families as affixes or other kinds of particles, generally to serve different semantic purposes, but random coincidences also happen here and there.

Besides, there is the one little big problem: are those surnames even like that, ending in -gan, in Irish itself? You're comparing Anglicized versions of those Irish surnames. I'm not totally sure of it, but after googling a bit the first sources seem to indicate those surnames end in different ways in Irish itself in their original forms: Mac an Mhadaidh (Maddigan), Ó Ríogáin, Ó Corragáin. All of them also have very plausible Celtic etymologies and relate to Celtic clans, so looking to a remote Turkic connection (one ancient enough for nearly all evidences of it to have disappeared) because of one little ending particle that looks similar to one found in Turkic is just an unnecessary, though "creative", exercise. Linguistics is a lot about being parsimonious: if you have a less extraordinary and more feasible explanation that explains the phenomenon, you generally don't need to look further to much more imaginative and unlikely hypotheses.

1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Overall activity: 57.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    Well, the combination of sounds g+a+n does not sound particularly distinctive for me to be exclusively attributable to one sole language family. The same combinations of phonemes or very similar phonemes can be used by totally unrelated language families as affixes or other kinds of particles, generally to serve different semantic purposes, but random coincidences also happen here and there.

Besides, there is the one little big problem: are those surnames even like that, ending in -gan, in Irish itself? You're comparing Anglicized versions of those Irish surnames. I'm not totally sure of it, but after googling a bit the first sources seem to indicate those surnames end in different ways in Irish itself in their original forms: Mac an Mhadaidh (Maddigan), Ó Ríogáin, Ó Corragáin. All of them also have very plausible Celtic etymologies and relate to Celtic clans, so looking to a remote Turkic connection (one ancient enough for nearly all evidences of it to have disappeared) because of one little ending particle that looks similar to one found in Turkic is just an unnecessary, though "creative", exercise. Linguistics is a lot about being parsimonious: if you have a less extraordinary and more feasible explanation that explains the phenomenon, you generally don't need to look further to much more imaginative and unlikely hypotheses.
    Thank you Ygorcs! People try their utmost to create connections that are not there.

Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,079
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

Quote Originally Posted by lynxbythetv View Post
    if "gan" is turkic then why does it feature among irish surnames ie reagan, maddigan, corrigan etc etc. fot example kurgan comes from the old turkic word korgan of which derives from the sound shifted korigan.

corrigan supposedly means spear in old irish celtic whereas kori means to protect in turkic.

are the irish turks ?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Without being sure, I think that in a lot of Irish surnames we have rather suffixs 'ig-an', simply. To be checked.
    in Brittonic dialects, -an is a diminutive.

Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,079
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

Ygorcs showed that in certains names, the first part, -ig (written -iog) is not even a suffix but a root; he shows too that it can be -ag; he is right when he says these forms are english retranscriptions.
    other example of the unreliability of english transcriptions: MacMurchadha > McMurrough, O'Murchadha > Murphy, see Murchadh written Murdoch in Scotland
    &: in Gaelic (close to irish), -an is sometimes a plural suffix, which can be spelled -ain may be in some cases of declinsion.