Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

@Dagne, Big Snake,

Thanks for your good wishes. :)

I really, really hope my husband and my son have the antibodies. It would be a weight off my mind. Otherwise, there's always that question in your head.

The worst result will be if my son is positive and we don't have the antibodies.

Well, I'll deal with that if and when it happens. No sense in pre-experiencing whatever it is.

Been wondering whether ethnicity does impact whether you get it and how sick you get. Both of the men who died were Pakistani, and the latest man who is in the hospital is Chinese.

On the other hand, maybe it's just sheer bad luck.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    We are fine now. I am just still sleeping more than usual, but that may be because I don't have to get up because of the lockdown. ;)

Like you I was feeling just fine most of the time despite the symptoms coming and going. I had the flu twice in my adult life and it was much worse. I was bedridden for several days with high fever, sweating heavily and barely ate anything. Covid-19 felt more like mild pre-flu symptoms lasting for 10 days without ever getting serious.
    Did you also experience a loss of sense of taste and smell?

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Overall activity: 69.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Angela, it's very sad to hear about your son's coworkers' husbands. Do you know if they had pre-existing conditions that may have aggravated their condition?
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Overall activity: 69.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by firetown View Post
    Did you also experience a loss of sense of taste and smell?
    No. I think it's only a very small minority of people who experience that.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    I got very sick for 3 days 4 weeks ago, when Corona was still in far away China.
    Throat ache, fever, a little head ache. Probably a regular flew.
    Like most, I don't know whether I have Corona, but probably not.
    It was already around that time in Europe. I've had people tell me of having had such symptoms back in December. It is possible looking at the rise of Chinese travelers.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Angela, it's very sad to hear about your son's coworkers' husbands. Do you know if they had pre-existing conditions that may have aggravated their condition?
    So far as I know, no, but my son didn't want to ask too many questions. The woman whose husband was in his late forties, whom he knows better, has young children and she's just distraught.

She herself tested positive and was in quarantine, but had barely any symptoms. It really does seem to affect men in a much worse way.

Elite member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Ethnic group
    Lithuanian

I did not get tested today... The municipal testing that I enrolled by internet (it was open to anyone wanting during the weekend) was not a serological testing (for antibodies) but laboratory-based molecular testing (RT-PCR) where they look for actual virus. There was no point in taking this test for me, as I have no symptoms at all now.
    Municipality advertised it as population testing, so I was sure it was for antibodies, but no... It is a pity, I was already planning to go to give my blood for blood centre, if I had antibodies, but I don't know about it now.
    Lithuanian authorities try to be very strict about testing, because they banned any commercial COVID testing (safety reasons, I suppose, and perhaps they want to have all results registered centrally, instead of people just knowing about their condition individually). Any testing is free, but so far serological testing is available only for health care system's people.

What about your husband and son's results, Angela? When are they due?

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagne View Post
    I did not get tested today... The municipal testing that I enrolled by internet (it was open to anyone wanting during the weekend) was not a serological testing (for antibodies) but laboratory-based molecular testing (RT-PCR) where they look for actual virus. There was no point in taking this test for me, as I have no symptoms at all now.
    Municipality advertised it as population testing, so I was sure it was for antibodies, but no... It is a pity, I was already planning to go to give my blood for blood centre, if I had antibodies, but I don't know about it now.
    Lithuanian authorities try to be very strict about testing, because they banned any commercial COVID testing (safety reasons, I suppose, and perhaps they want to have all results registered centrally, instead of people just knowing about their condition individually). Any testing is free, but so far serological testing is available only for health care system's people.

What about your husband and son's results, Angela? When are they due?
    My husband's are due in two days. My son's not until a few days after that.

I just wish the testing would get up to speed everywhere and everyone could be tested for the antibodies. It would not only be a relief, but for a while we could have something a little bit more approaching normalcy.

I still see my neighbors, anyone who is in walking distance, though. I've turned into that woman always looking out the front window. As soon as I see an acquaintance I wave or go on the porch while they stop in the middle of the road. No traffic nowadays, not that there ever was much, really.

The worst is that I haven't seen my daughter in person in weeks, but I also really miss my lunches out with my friends, museums, concerts, restaurants. My husband is really suffering, though. He's the most social and gregarious person I've ever met, and this is hell for him. My darn dog has never been walked so much. :) That way, even if he's 7-10 feet apart he can see people. He's out for hours. It doesn't really make up for the gym, though, or raquetball or tennis or his baseball team. He's pining even for just going to the ballgames.

You don't really know how much you'll miss these things until it happens, I guess, even for me, who needs much more alone time. This is TOO much.

Elite member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Ethnic group
    Lithuanian

Oh, it is difficult for you Angela! For me it is almost as always, now all the shops and open air facilities are open. I was drinking coffee with a friend yesterday after shopping in IKEA and then visited my aunt, whom I brought new pretty potted herbs... (Shopping is devastatingly exhausting compared to walking in the forest)

I miss my painting classes, this is true. My Sensei invited me to come to Japanese garden which is absolutely wonderfully gorgeous now, but I did not go. Somehow, I guess, I am getting antisocial after social distancing?
    Last week I repaired my bike and broke it again ( it was raining and very slippery...) my knee was bleeding exactly the same like as was 6 years old (people do not really learn much throughout life, do they?)...
    The bad thing is that I cannot focus on what I want/should to do, but instead I am googling around in the internet, and then I get anxious and frustrated for all the procrastination, and not accomplishing anything. This must change!
    Last edited by Dagne; 05-05-20 at 13:21.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Dagne View Post
    Oh, it is difficult for you Angela! For me it is almost as always, now all the shops and open air facilities are open. I was drinking coffee with a friend yesterday after shopping in IKEA and then visited my aunt, whom I brought new pretty potted herbs... (Shopping is devastatingly exhausting compared to walking in the forest)

I miss my painting classes, this is true. My Sensei invited me to come to Japanese garden which is absolutely wonderfully gorgeous now, but I did not go. Somehow, I guess, I am getting antisocial after social distancing?
    Last week I repaired my bike and broke it again ( it was raining and very slippery...) my knee was bleeding exactly the same like as was 6 years old (people do not really learn much throughout life, do they?)...
    The bad thing is that I cannot focus on what I want/should to do, but instead I am googling around in the internet, and then I get anxious and frustrated for all the procrastination, and not accomplishing anything. This must change!
    As I said, it's not as bad for me as for my husband. I'm cooking so much that he says we're all going to get fat. :) I'm also getting through my waiting list of books faster than usual, which is a good thing (although I miss my book club SO MUCH...online zoom just isn't the same), and watching a lot of netflix and amazon. Unfortunately, as I'm prone to watching crime drama (a professional predilection), it gets depressing.

I just want to have a party, fill the house with all my family and friends, feed them until they can't eat anymore, drink some wine together, turn on the music, hug, kiss, maybe dance, do a lot of laughing.

It's all just so damn depressing and anxiety causing, on top of all the economic worries and other things.

I tell myself not to be a whiner, to remember how bad things were for my family during the war, or even how bad it was here with 9/11 and so many people I knew died, but being without physical human contact messes up your head, I think.

This is the kind of situation when I wind up wishing I were still a praying woman. What's the Shakespeare phrase? I would trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries. Well, maybe it's better to believe no one is there to listen than to think whoever is there doesn't choose to listen.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    @Dagne, Big Snake,

Thanks for your good wishes. :)

I really, really hope my husband and my son have the antibodies. It would be a weight off my mind. Otherwise, there's always that question in your head.

The worst result will be if my son is positive and we don't have the antibodies.

Well, I'll deal with that if and when it happens. No sense in pre-experiencing whatever it is.

Been wondering whether ethnicity does impact whether you get it and how sick you get. Both of the men who died were Pakistani, and the latest man who is in the hospital is Chinese.

On the other hand, maybe it's just sheer bad luck.
    It could mean they've been exposed more and carry a larger viral load. Harder to recover and more likely to succumb.
    Considering their large population numbers, neither Pakistan or India have been effected much, but that is likely due to the ongoing heat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12