Cooking from lockdown...

xieRKNql.jpg

I've been making this for lunch every so often.

Smoked salmon, with capers, diced red onion, salt, pepper, olive oil, and parmesan cheese. The parmesan flakes are better to use than grated, but I used what I had. It is really good on a toasted English muffin. It is filling, healthy, and tastes amazing.

xieRKNql.jpg

I've been making this for lunch every so often.

Smoked salmon, with capers, diced red onion, salt, pepper, olive oil, and parmesan cheese. The parmesan flakes are better to use than grated, but I used what I had. It is really good on a toasted English muffin. It is filling, healthy, and tastes amazing.

It took me a long time to get used to lox, but now I really like it. I usually do it the traditional way with cream cheese, onion, tomato on a bagel, but I will definitely try this.

I don't have a picture, but we have been barbecuing a lot, recently. Today, we made catfish, on the it, and put it in tacos, with homemade pico de gallo. It was excellent!

You're turning into a first class chef, Jovialis. I'm sure it's appreciated. :)

Spaghetti aglio e olio, or with garlic and oil is rustic, peasant, "cucina povera" par excellence. I like it sometimes, but it doesn't like me very much. I just can't handle that much garlic.

I follow a Greek American cook on youtube because she's a persnickety, fuss-budget, perfectionist, just like me, so I thought I'd try her version of it. It worked for me, probably because she uses slightly less garlic, and maybe more importantly because she removes the germ of the garlic. I didn't turn it into a paste, however, but sliced the garlic cloves as is more traditional, because I wanted to be able to pick them out of my portion. I didn't want to have hearburn all night. :)

Anyway, here it is:

We grilled some steak last night, and since it wasn't the highest quality in the world, I thought some sauce would go nicely with it. For the first time I tried a recipe for a Chimichurri Sauce, and I loved it.

Have no idea if it's authentic or not. Anyone who knows, feel free to tell me what to change.

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
3 garlic gloves finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped chili
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon coarse salt and some pepper.

We grilled some steak last night, and since it wasn't the highest quality in the world, I thought some sauce would go nicely with it. For the first time I tried a recipe for a Chimichurri Sauce, and I loved it.

Have no idea if it's authentic or not. Anyone who knows, feel free to tell me what to change.

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
3 garlic gloves finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped chili
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon coarse salt and some pepper.

EDIT

... never mind, I missed the Sauce part, I thought was a type of Marinade :)

If Marinating

imho ...red wine instead of vinegar, and add Bay Leaves too.

... White wine and Rosemary instead of Oregano if Chicken or Pork :)

Last edited:
We made an excellent lamb roast for Easter, and had a virtual Zoom dinner with our families. The next day, we made lamb sandwiches in ciabatta bread, and put diced-cucumbers with goat cheese on it. It was amazing! My fiancée also made a delicious tiramisu crepe cake.

Those both sound delicious.

Today I made barbeque Ahi tuna steaks. I'm pretty good at it, at least my taste buds agree.

After I wash them, dry them, then baste them with olive oil.

I put sea salt, a lot of ground pepper, coriander, garlic power, and lemon pepper, on both sides.

Then I throw them on the barbeque, on medium-high for only 90 seconds for each side. It is important not to overcook them.

The outside parts should be grey, and the inside should be a nice reddish pink.

Put some lemon juice, and soy sauce on it, and enjoy.

Ojz3H7Kl.jpg

Here is a dish I made, that my grandmother used to make all the time, when I was growing up. I am not certain of the name, but I know how to make it.

It is Zucchini with eggs.

You slice zucchini and fry it in a skillet with olive oil, and a generous amount of diced garlic.

Take as many eggs, as you have zucchini, pour them in bowl with about a shot of milk, and throw in some parmesan cheese, and whip them up.

Fry the zucchini until they are very soft and mushy, and pour in the bowl. Then scramble them up, and add salt and pepper.

Ojz3H7Kl.jpg

Here is a dish I made, that my grandmother used to make all the time, when I was growing up. I am not certain of the name, but I know how to make it.

It is Zucchini with eggs.

You slice zucchini and fry it in a skillet with olive oil, and a generous amount of diced garlic.

Take as many eggs, as you have zucchini, pour them in bowl with about a shot of milk, and throw in some parmesan cheese, and whip them up.

Fry the zucchini until they are very soft and mushy, and pour in the bowl. Then scramble them up, and add salt and pepper.

Great in a half a hero for lunch. Forget peanut butter and jelly on Wonder Bread! :)

Great in a half a hero for lunch. Forget peanut butter and jelly on Wonder Bread! :)

You've given me an idea for next time.

Tonight I am making polenta with a white sauce made from sausage. Here is one I made a few weeks ago. My wife taught me how to do it, though she's not a Northerner, her family also makes it. (She's Central Italian).

cGMNMN6l.jpg

You've given me an idea for next time.

Tonight I am making polenta with a white sauce made from sausage. Here is one I made a few weeks ago. My wife taught me how to do it, though she's not a Northerner, her family also makes it. (She's Central Italian).

cGMNMN6l.jpg

I've been eating nothing but some version of gnocchi, polenta and minestra for two weeks. It's my winter comfort food. An Italian supermarket near me makes fresh gnocchi every day. They're as soft as a cloud; just melt in your mouth. I've been having chicken on polenta, sausage on polenta, sautéed porcini on polenta, you name it. I also made something my father used to make. It's like a polenta casserole; we call it polenta pasticciata; layers of polenta, besciamella, sautéed porcini and cheese. If I can't find stracchino I use fontina or taleggio. Of course, grated parmigiano too. Try it; it's so yummy.

castagna+polenta+010.jpg

With my leftover polenta (which I always have, because I always make enough for leftovers), I slice it very fine, and saute it in olive oil until crispy and golden on both sides, then put sliced melting cheese (preferably taleggio or stracchino) on top and cover until it melts. We fight over it in my house. :)

Gnocchi: If it's going to be just me I just put butter and lots of parmigiano like my Emilian grandmother used to do for me when I was little. Heaven. My children loved it too.

primi-gnocchi-di-patate.jpg

Looks and sounds delicious. I made gnocchi with pesto the other day.

Last night I made lamb on a skillet, with bone broth, white wine, and garlic. With sautéed Swiss chard on the side.

We had some toasted sour dough bread with the sauce from the lamb. It was really tasty.

I'm on a risotto streak, and trying to use the new spring vegetables in season. Made it with vegetable stock and asparagus last night. It was so good.

I'm really missing Greek food in lockdown. There's a Greek place in Astoria where you'd think you were in Athens. Delicious appetizers and then fresh fish grilled over a fire and a wonderful salad. When my 14 days are over that's where I'm going. :)

ew7l8A2l.jpg

Here is a pot of artichoke with penne I made. I put oil with water, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon, and mint, which I cooked in a skillet. Then after the penne cooked, I empty the water, and mix it together with the content of the skillet. It was excellent!

This thread has been viewed 15517 times.

Back