Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Identifying the Y-DNA haplogroups of ancient Roman families through their descendants

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a

Ethnic group
    North Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    That's not true. Apart from the example I gave with Latin names (e.g. Di Tullio), the use of "De/Di + given name" in Italian means "son of ..." (e.g. Di Martino) but this is never used in French or Spanish (Spanish use the -ez ending as in Martinez, while French just use the given name as it is, as in Martin).

What you mean is "Da + place name" as in Da Vinci, which is similar to the French or Spanish "De + place name". But that is only for non-nobility. Both French and Spanish nobility use "de + place name" with a lower case "de" (not "De"). The Italian equivalent is "di + place name" but it is rare. Most Italian noble families don't use the nobiliary particle, just like in the UK.
    I looked though hundreds of BDM records in north-Italy pre 1805 and the only De is from french or spanish owned italian lands

I have Martin in old veneto lands circa 1600 , when they got "nobility" they changed to martinengo and Martinigo if they lived in Venice

I have cousins whose surname ends in "son" ..........and there are hundreds in italy with this surname. most veneti surname did not end in a vowel unless it was o

I never seen a Di + place

a typical record is .........Secco Giovanni di Paolo .................meaning...Giovanni Secco son of paolo and the di means Paolo was alive at the time ..............if Paolo was dead it would be written as Secco Giovanni fu Paolo

then we also have in BDM records Del Di ( the day ).....there is no Del Giorno

and yes...french , spanish and italian lands ruled by french and spanish used De for name and place ...no issue here
    Last edited by torzio; 10-04-20 at 00:26.