Arbereshe(pre 1500 Albanians) Y-DNA Vs (post 1500)Albanian Y-DNA. Big Differences!

@Illyri,
As I'm sure I don't need to tell you, data from self testing sites are not necessarily representative. Data from papers is unfortunately scarce in terms of subclade information.

The papers are all gathered here as to ydna from various areas of Greece and from Albania as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_in_populations_of_Europe

There's very little R1a1 in Albania, more in certain parts of Greece. I think it might be that the more south you go, the more Z93, although Cyprus has very little.

Further discussion is for another thread.

This group of Arbereshe have a lot less J2b, a lot less E-V13, more R1a M17, more I2a M223, and 13% E1b-not E-V13, while the Albanians have none.

Now, this is one group. Things might be a little different in other groups. J2a might indeed show up. However we're looking at this set of data.

It reinforces what we know from genealogies: there has been a lot of mixing, and it shows up not only in Italians who have some Arbereshe ancestry, but in those who still identify as Arbereshe.
The percentage of R-M417 in the Arbereshe is rather similar to that of Tosk Albanians who are ~9% R1a (28/310).

Albanians from the Balkans do have some E1b that is negative for V13, though it is in very negligible amounts (~1%). I do agree that the massive increase in E1b (V13-) clusters is likely a result of Italian input given that these clusters have an increased frequency in Italy when compared to Albania or Kosovo.

We also see an increase in R-L51+ clusters in the Arbereshe when compared to other Albanian groups, this too could be a result of more western input. Same goes for the increase in I2a-M223.

blevins13: Good information, I think the Arbereshe from Pianna dei Albanesi in the paper cited maybe cluster a little closer with modern Albanians whereas the settlements in Contessa Entellina clustered closer to Modern Greeks and it appears close to the native Sicilians already there I guess given the long presence of Greek presence in Sicily which stretched that far West to nearby towns like Segesta (Greek theatre, one of the 4 major ones in Sicily is located there). I should have double checked the paper but in my case my closest distances other than Sicily are regions in Italy without any significant Albereshe presence, at least using Dodecad 12B updated and also Eurogenes K13 updated (which is a significant improvement to the original K13, in my opinion, at least in my own individual case).

blevins13: Good information, I think the Arbereshe from Pianna dei Albanesi in the paper cited maybe cluster a little closer with modern Albanians whereas the settlements in Contessa Entellina clustered closer to Modern Greeks and it appears close to the native Sicilians already there I guess given the long presence of Greek presence in Sicily which stretched that far West to nearby towns like Segesta (Greek theatre, one of the 4 major ones in Sicily is located there). I should have double checked the paper but in my case my closest distances other than Sicily are regions in Italy without any significant Albereshe presence, at least using Dodecad 12B updated and also Eurogenes K13 updated (which is a significant improvement to the original K13, in my opinion, at least in my own individual case).
The thing is that many Arbereshe who have Southern Italian or Sicilian admixture are bound to shift more towards certain Greek clusters, especially Greek Islanders, due to the fact that those populations themselves cluster closer to Greeks than Albanians. I think we need more Arbereshe auDNA in order to know for sure how they cluster and if there are major differences between settlements.

By the way, do you know what downstream of I2a-P78 you belong to? There are a number of Albanians, both Ghegs and Tosks, who belong to P78>A427+. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the P78 in the Arbereshe is A427.

In the Monasteries of Mezzojuso and Cantanzzaro you will find also the names of the families of the knight of Demetrius Reres... some of this names has not changed even today. These names very often show villages and places in Albania.

Reres expedition (1444 -1448).
Church Registers of Mezzojuso and Catanzaro:
B: Barbati, Barci (Barçi), Barcia (Barçia), Bardusci (Bardushi), Barlezi (Barleci), Balla, Barresi,
Barsetti, Bersi, Bidati, Bilotta, Blasco (Blasko), Boccula (Bokula), Borcì (Borçi o Borshi), Boria,
Borgia (Borshi), Borgi (Borxhi), Borshi, Braillo, Branciti (Brançiti), Brunarello, Bue, Buba,
Buccola (Bukola), Burrescia (Burreshia), Burnacasa (Burnakaza), Buschi (Buski ose Bushi).
C: Cacossa (Kakoza), Cacozza (Kakoca), Coccuzza (Kokuca), Calvaj (Kalvaj), Calfi (Kalfi), Calidaj
(Kalidaj), Camarda (Kamarda), Camera (Kamera), Camizzi (Kamixi), Candiota (Kandiota),
Carci (Karçi), Carnesi (Kamezi), Chiara (Kiara), Cicco (Çiko), Cirillo,Ciuglia (Çiulia), Ciulla
(Çiulla), Celejaro (Çelejaro), Comitascia (Komitashia), Conte (Konte), Costa (Kosta), Costantino
(Kostantino), Crapisi (Krapizi), Crepsi (Krepsi), Crialesci (Krijaleshi), Criesci (Krieshi), Crisia
(Krizia), Crispi (Krispi), Cucci (Kuçi), Cuccia (Kuçia), Curtichi (Kurtiki)
D: Damiano, Despoti, Dorengrichi (Dorengriki), Djanì (Xhani), Dragoti
F: Ferrante, Ferrara, Figlia (Filia), Foco (Foko), Franzi (Franci).
G: Ganaci (Ganaçi), Glaviano, Glesci (Gleshi), Glioscia (Gloshia), Gori, Greko, Groppa, Gulemi,
Golemi, Gugliotta (Gulota), Guzzetta (Guxeta).
J: Jers, Jessi
L: Lagresia (Lagrezia), Lala, Lecursìu (Lekurziu), Lesci (Leshi), Lescari (Leskari), Lojacono
(Lojakono), Lopez, Luca (Luka), Luci (Luçi), Lugli (Luli).
M: Macaluso (Makaluzo), Mancusi (Mankuzi), Manay (Manaj), Mandalà, Manesi, Manisi, Manisci
(Manishi), Masi (Mazi), Matranga, Mezzaracchio (Mexarakio), Mirditi, Mauro, Miceli, Minisci
(Minishi), Musacchia (Muzakia).
P: Parrino, Parrococchia (Parrokokia), Pachini (Pakini), Petta, Plescia (Pleshia), Pirri, Pravatà,
Proffera.
R: Rabalaj, Rafsi, Reppa, Rende, Rennis, Rennes, Rjebalati, Rùbesi
S: Scariani (Skariani), Sciglia (Skilia), Schirò (Skirò), Sochijpis (Sokjipis), Scurta (Shkurta),
Schioza (Shkoza), Staffa, Standila, Stanizzo (Stanico), Spata, Stassi, Sugli (Suli).
T: Teorga, Torga, Trajilla, Trapuzzano (Trapuxano), Thaminiti, Toja, Thana.
V: Vartusa, Veschio (Veskio), Vonazzo (Vonaco), Vrena, Vuoccola (Vuokola).
Z: Zacca (Zaka ose Xaka), Zaccheo (Zakeo), Zimbi, Zingana, Zenga etj.

https://books.google.al/books?id=Od...oECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=ciulla mezzojuso&f=false

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

In the Monasteries of Mezzojuso and Cantanzzaro you will find also the names of the families of the knight of Demetrius Reres... some of this names has not changed even today. These names very often show villages and places in Albania.

B: Barbati, Barci (Barçi), Barcia (Barçia), Bardusci (Bardushi), Barlezi (Barleci), Balla, Barresi,
Barsetti, Bersi, Bidati, Bilotta, Blasco (Blasko), Boccula (Bokula), Borcì (Borçi o Borshi), Boria,
Borgia (Borshi), Borgi (Borxhi), Borshi, Braillo, Branciti (Brançiti), Brunarello, Bue, Buba,
Buccola (Bukola), Burrescia (Burreshia), Burnacasa (Burnakaza), Buschi (Buski ose Bushi).
C: Cacossa (Kakoza), Cacozza (Kakoca), Coccuzza (Kokuca), Calvaj (Kalvaj), Calfi (Kalfi), Calidaj
(Kalidaj), Camarda (Kamarda), Camera (Kamera), Camizzi (Kamixi), Candiota (Kandiota),
Carci (Karçi), Carnesi (Kamezi), Chiara (Kiara), Cicco (Çiko), Cirillo,Ciuglia (Çiulia), Ciulla
(Çiulla), Celejaro (Çelejaro), Comitascia (Komitashia), Conte (Konte), Costa (Kosta), Costantino
(Kostantino), Crapisi (Krapizi), Crepsi (Krepsi), Crialesci (Krijaleshi), Criesci (Krieshi), Crisia
G: Ganaci (Ganaçi), Glaviano, Glesci (Gleshi), Glioscia (Gloshia), Gori, Greko, Groppa, Gulemi,
L: Lagresia (Lagrezia), Lala, Lecursìu (Lekurziu), Lesci (Leshi), Lescari (Leskari), Lojacono
M: Macaluso (Makaluzo), Mancusi (Mankuzi), Manay (Manaj), Mandalà, Manesi, Manisi, Manisci
(Manishi), Masi (Mazi), Matranga, Mezzaracchio (Mexarakio), Mirditi, Mauro, Miceli, Minisci
P: Parrino, Parrococchia (Parrokokia), Pachini (Pakini), Petta, Plescia (Pleshia), Pirri, Pravatà,
Proffera.
S: Scariani (Skariani), Sciglia (Skilia), Schirò (Skirò), Sochijpis (Sokjipis), Scurta (Shkurta),
Schioza (Shkoza), Staffa, Standila, Stanizzo (Stanico), Spata, Stassi, Sugli (Suli).

https://books.google.al/books?id=Od...oECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=ciulla mezzojuso&f=false

A guy from Cosenza who has origin from the Barci is also likely R-Z2705 (I believe that he is CTS9219+ on 23andme, not too sure). There is also a Cuccia from Piana degli Albanesi who is Z2705+.

The thing is that many Arbereshe who have Southern Italian or Sicilian admixture are bound to shift more towards certain Greek clusters, especially Greek Islanders, due to the fact that those populations themselves cluster closer to Greeks than Albanians. I think we need more Arbereshe auDNA in order to know for sure how they cluster and if there are major differences between settlements.

By the way, do you know what downstream of I2a-P78 you belong to? There are a number of Albanians, both Ghegs and Tosks, who belong to P78>A427+. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the P78 in the Arbereshe is A427.

I don't. I have done extensive research on my Paternal ancestry and my family name is a common Italian name that is very heavy in Campania. It is an Italian surname that ends in "i' and my Paternal Great Grandfather's wife, from the same area in Trapani, also had a surname that ended in "i". So my Paternal Great Grandfather and his wife's family were from an area that has no Arbereshe community and I have been able to establish they were in the same area in Trapani going back to the 1700's. Doing Surname analysis, both family names are of Southern Italian Origin (my Paternal Great Grandfather's Father and Mother's family names). On my Fathers side I do have some family that came from Contessa Entellina, my Fathers maternal Grandmother's (my Great Grandmother) Father was born there (She was born in the USA in early 1890's) but she married someone who was born in a mountain town in Agrigento, (very common Italian type surname with Southern Italian origins and found in Sicily). And my Mothers Mother's Father (my Great Grandfather) was born in Palazzo Adriano, Palermo and his Grandfather came from Contessa Entelllina as well. He was baptized in the Byzantine Catholic Church there but my Mothers Father born in Palazzo Adriano as well, with very common Italian surname with roots from Latin (one of the most common in Sicily) was baptized in the Roman Church. His Mother also had a very Common name in Sicily, in fact a City in Siracusa has that name, and it is a Italic name. So my particular case is someone who is Southern Italian with some Arbereshe Admixture which in the case of the settlements where some my ancestors came from, seems to cluster with modern Greeks. Now just speaking for me, I don't know in terms of autosomal DNA how far it shifted me one way or the other. My particular instance I cluster close to Southern Italian mainland regions as well as Sicily and even some in Central and I have reasonable matches with modern Greeks. I know National Geographic's reference populations are not large, but my closest reference population there is Italian, which is represented by a sample from Central Italy-Tuscans. My 2nd close reference population is Modern Greeks. I don't know where National Geographic uses as a reference sample for Greeks.

As for I-M223, that is interesting, looking at the Eupedia article that Maciamo published, that Y-DNA has hotspots in Western Sicily (Trapani/Palermo) but also Rome/Lazio and then again in Piedemonte. So I don't know exactly what the link is but from my reading and from what I gathered from National Geographic's report to me about I-M223, it appears to be a surviving lineage of Western Hunter Gathers post Ice-age, etc. and then sort of stayed in the Refugia areas (of which Italy and Southern Balkans would have been) and went back into other areas of Europe as Ice age receded.

With respect to analyzing Sub-clades of I-M223, which company is the best to do that. I have done testing with Ancestry and National Geographic. Does 23 and Me provide that service?

I would like to repeat that I am only offering my analysis here of my own DNA story and I do not mean in anyway to say it represents everyone in Sicily or Southern Italy that has some Arbereshe ancestry. I also surely do not want anything in my post to used to try to draw inferences about Sicilians, Calabrians or other Southern Italians with significant Arbereshe ancestry that have some Southern Italian or Sicilian admixture and how that impacts whether those individuals are genetically closer to modern Greeks or Modern Albanians. So please I hope my DNA story can shed some light on the issue and can be discussed in a respectful relative to both modern Greeks and Albanians, etc. There was a paper a few years ago that talked about a macro-region that included Italy (Sicily included) and a genetic link to the Southern Balkans (Central/South Italy) and Northern Italy and Northern Balkans. I think that is what its major conclusions were, so I am not sure what causes all these arguments between modern Greeks and Albanians and I again in closing, don't want to get drawn in to them nor my post to be used other than the context I laid out above.

And full disclosure your post was well written, very respectful and I have no problem with it at all.

Cheers.

Proffera.

Blevins13: Looking at those Church records, I see 3 names that pop up in my family tree. One of them is my Maternal Great Grandfather on her Mothers side and his wife's family name. On my Fathers side, my Fathers Maternal Grandmother's maiden name. Obviously I am not going to disclose those names but in my own personal instance, the names you listed are consistent with my own personal research and the fact that I documented my Maternal Grandmothers Father being baptized at the Byzantine Rite Catholic Church in Palazzo Adriano (Church of Maria SS Assunta, dates to 16th century). Across the Street is the Latin Rite Roman Catholic Church Church of Maria SS Del Lume, founded in 18th century, where my Mothers Father was baptized and his parents were Married. So there was a large influx of Roman Rite Sicilians who seem to have moved there in the 18th century and in Palazzo Adriano, the Arbereshe language is not spoken and hasn't been for years suggesting there the Arbereshe and native Sicilians just blended in, at least in my case on my Mothers side.

I don't. I have done extensive research on my Paternal ancestry and my family name is a common Italian name that is very heavy in Campania. It is an Italian surname that ends in "i' and my Paternal Great Grandfather's wife, from the same area in Trapani, also had a surname that ended in "i". So my Paternal Great Grandfather and his wife's family were from an area that has no Arbereshe community and I have been able to establish they were in the same area in Trapani going back to the 1700's. Doing Surname analysis, both family names are of Southern Italian Origin (my Paternal Great Grandfather's Father and Mother's family names). On my Fathers side I do have some family that came from Contessa Entellina, my Fathers maternal Grandmother's (my Great Grandmother) Father was born there (She was born in the USA in early 1890's) but she married someone who was born in a mountain town in Agrigento, (very common Italian type surname with Southern Italian origins and found in Sicily). And my Mothers Mother's Father (my Great Grandfather) was born in Palazzo Adriano, Palermo and his Grandfather came from Contessa Entelllina as well. He was baptized in the Byzantine Catholic Church there but my Mothers Father born in Palazzo Adriano as well, with very common Italian surname with roots from Latin (one of the most common in Sicily) was baptized in the Roman Church. His Mother also had a very Common name in Sicily, in fact a City in Siracusa has that name, and it is a Italic name. So my particular case is someone who is Southern Italian with some Arbereshe Admixture which in the case of the settlements where some my ancestors came from, seems to cluster with modern Greeks. Now just speaking for me, I don't know in terms of autosomal DNA how far it shifted me one way or the other. My particular instance I cluster close to Southern Italian mainland regions as well as Sicily and even some in Central and I have reasonable matches with modern Greeks. I know National Geographic's reference populations are not large, but my closest reference population there is Italian, which is represented by a sample from Central Italy-Tuscans. My 2nd close reference population is Modern Greeks. I don't know where National Geographic uses as a reference sample for Greeks.

As for I-M223, that is interesting, looking at the Eupedia article that Maciamo published, that Y-DNA has hotspots in Western Sicily (Trapani/Palermo) but also Rome/Lazio and then again in Piedemonte. So I don't know exactly what the link is but from my reading and from what I gathered from National Geographic's report to me about I-M223, it appears to be a surviving lineage of Western Hunter Gathers post Ice-age, etc. and then sort of stayed in the Refugia areas (of which Italy and Southern Balkans would have been) and went back into other areas of Europe as Ice age receded.

With respect to analyzing Sub-clades of I-M223, which company is the best to do that. I have done testing with Ancestry and National Geographic. Does 23 and Me provide that service?

I would like to repeat that I am only offering my analysis here of my own DNA story and I do not mean in anyway to say it represents everyone in Sicily or Southern Italy that has some Arbereshe ancestry. I also surely do not want anything in my post to used to try to draw inferences about Sicilians, Calabrians or other Southern Italians with significant Arbereshe ancestry that have some Southern Italian or Sicilian admixture and how that impacts whether those individuals are genetically closer to modern Greeks or Modern Albanians. So please I hope my DNA story can shed some light on the issue and can be discussed in a respectful relative to both modern Greeks and Albanians, etc. There was a paper a few years ago that talked about a macro-region that included Italy (Sicily included) and a genetic link to the Southern Balkans (Central/South Italy) and Northern Italy and Northern Balkans. I think that is what its major conclusions were, so I am not sure what causes all these arguments between modern Greeks and Albanians and I again in closing, don't want to get drawn in to them nor my post to be used other than the context I laid out above.

And full disclosure your post was well written, very respectful and I have no problem with it at all.

Cheers.
In regards to Y-DNA testing via 23andme, I personally would not recommend it. Their Y-DNA classifications are hit or miss since it all depends if they test for your specific SNP. Also, as a company they're more focused on auDNA. I would recommend testing via FTDNA (Y37, Y67 etc) or Yseq (I2 Superclade Panel for example) as these tests will pin-point your exact cluster and give a lot more information.

In regards to Y-DNA testing via 23andme, I personally would not recommend it. Their Y-DNA classifications are hit or miss since it all depends if they test for your specific SNP. Also, as a company they're more focused on auDNA. I would recommend testing via FTDNA (Y37, Y67 etc) or Yseq (I2 Superclade Panel for example) as these tests will pin-point your exact cluster and give a lot more information.

Ok thanks, FTDNA (which I heard of) and Yseq, I will take a look at it. If I have further questions on this issue, I will contact you and we can move it to a thread specifically related to I-M223. Thanks again.

Ok thanks, FTDNA (which I heard of) and Yseq, I will take a look at it. If I have further questions on this issue, I will contact you and we can move it to a thread specifically related to I-M223. Thanks again.

@Palermo Trapani. See in the link below my post talking about yDNA testing. Cheers.

@Palermo Trapani. See in the link below my post talking about yDNA testing. Cheers.

Duarte: Thanks for the link. I went over to that thread and will definitely look into FTDNA Big Y-700. Thanks so much, greatly appreciated.

Cheers, PT.

A guy from Cosenza who has origin from the Barci is also likely R-Z2705 (I believe that he is CTS9219+ on 23andme, not too sure). There is also a Cuccia from Piana degli Albanesi who is Z2705+.

I have contacted Barci, while Cuccia I haven’t....Cuccia might be interesting.....probably from Kuc, Laberia, there several test z2705.

This thread has been viewed 51082 times.

Back