Faces of Brazil

From available data on 6,497 individuals from the three so-called cohorts that are part of the EPIGEN-Brazil initiative with scientists led by Eduardo Tarazona Santos, professor at the Institute of Biological Sciences at the Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG), they identified how much of the genome of each of them has a European, African or Native American (Amerindian) origin.

Northeast Region:
As expected, the population genes of the first cohort - 1,309 individuals from Salvador (BA) - have a great African ancestry (50.8%), followed by the European (42.9%) and Amerindian (6.4%).

Southeast region:
In the second cohort, composed of 1,442 people from the city of Bambuí, Minas Gerais, the vast majority of its genome is of European origin (78.5%), African (14.7%), and Amerindian (6.7%) .

South region:
Finally, in the third and last cohort, made up of 3,736 individuals born in Pelotas, the European genetic influence is (76.1%), with an African contribution (15.9%) and Amerindian contribution (8%)
View attachment 11944
Brazil is really heterogeneous, and IIRC some studies focused just in capitals or in specific cities, not always representative of the states where they're located.
Thanks for this, Ack. That's what I was talking about. Pelotas is far from the "colonial zone" (which is not representative as well*, in isolation), for example, concentrated in the north half of the state, but also in central RS. The distance from this area where the heritages are better known means that Pelotas is likely a good choice given the probable goal of the study.
It shows how interesting Pelotas is under a genetic point of view. Why? Well, in 1814, Pelotas would have had 25000 blacks (slaves) and 32000 whites (mostly Iberians, likely), and the city is well known in Rio Grande do Sul as having the most important African influence in the state, even if that proportion didn't mantain, for obvious reasons. However, in 2010 a somewhat low % of "pelotenses" declared themselves black or mixed with, which would be, say, "counter-intuitive" (?). The study you posted kind of reinforce this important influence, despite the fact it deals with averages. The following article tries to explain this probable unrealistic demographic sense of 2010, in which the % of black (and mixed) dropped significantly compared to 2000:
https://www.diariopopular.com.br/opiniao/a-negritude-em-pelotas-por-que-se-oculta-106066/
I'd risk to say that other cities in South half of the state apparently with less SSA, such Bagé, Santana do Livramento, Uruguaiana etc. could have more Native American influence than Pelotas?

*I'm from an area called "Serra Gaúcha", which has its own peculiarities, i.e., it's not greatly representative not even of the half North as a whole.

Btw, I'm not sure Iberian ancestry is the most common in the state of Santa Catarina as a whole, compared to the other heritages individually. Perhaps, but it's concentrated along the coast, with an "island" around Lages. In the rest of the state it may be not the majority. This is at least my perception.
But of course, some people (and areas) are related in an important way to more than one ethnicity, which may complicate these "perceptions".

Last edited:
Deise Nunes, Miss Rio Grande do Sul in 1986, and the first black Miss Brazil
19227165.jpg

Marta Rocha, Miss Bahia and the first Miss Brazil (in 1954)
martharocha6.png

Other very famous people from Ceará

Renato Aragão (comedian)
renato-aragacc83o-humorista-_2.jpg

Chico Anysio (comedian)
280817-chicoanysio-600X400.jpg

Ciro Gomes (politician)
2404717628-ciro-gomes.jpg

Castello Branco (former president of Brazil, in military period)
Castelobranco.jpg

Last edited:
In 2019, Miss Minas Gerais was elected Miss Brazil. In the Miss Universe contest, won by the representative of South Africa, she didn't get a great success and was only among the top 20. Despite this, she is a pretty woman and is a good representative of the “mineiro” type.

EwV84qa.jpg

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

In 2019, Miss Minas Gerais was elected Miss Brazil. In the Miss Universe contest, won by the representative of South Africa, she didn't get a great success and was only among the top 20. Despite this, she is a pretty woman and is a good representative of the “mineiro” type.

EwV84qa.jpg

Wow! She's really pretty. I believe in Goiás there're many women with this type too.

Still regarding Ana Paula Arosio, I believe this video shows well her beauty and "simpatia" (how do they call it in English?), in which she's interviewed by Xuxa (mentioned before). 18 years old.

Now Xuxa, the interviewer, interviewed in her 27. :)

Northeast Region:
As expected, the population genes of the first cohort - 1,309 individuals from Salvador (BA) - have a great African ancestry (50.8%), followed by the European (42.9%) and Amerindian (6.4%).View attachment 11944

See, Ack, why I pointed out that using people from Bahia and especially from coastal Bahia - as opposed to the inland "sertão" from Bahia - would not be very representative of the Northeast as a whole (and that wasn't to demean or diminish the good work you had done, just a necessary disclaimer for people who are not Brazilians and could be misled). This study you mentioned shows people from Salvador (BA), by far the largest city in Bahia, having a very distinct genetic profile than people in the Northeastern semi-arid region further north and west, which is often identified as the "quintessential" heart of the Northeast, as it was found in a paper (though frankly preliminary and IMO imperfect due to inadequate reference populations) released a couple of years ago:

African: 50.8% in Salvador vs. 22.9% in the Northeastern semi-arid zone
European: 42.9% in Salvador vs. 56.8% in the Northeastern semi-arid zone
Amerindian: 6.4% in Salvador vs. 20.3% in the Northeastern semi-arid zone

(https://tribunadoceara.com.br/notic...dos-do-nordeste-e-mais-europeia-que-africana/)

Those different proportions certainly make a difference in the looks of the people.

Wow! She's really pretty. I believe in Goiás there're many women with this type too.

Still regarding Ana Paula Arosio, I believe this video shows well her beauty and "simpatia" (how do they call it in English?), in which she's interviewed by Xuxa (mentioned before). 18 years old.

Now Xuxa, the interviewer, interviewed in her 27. :)

WOW. Great videos @Regio X. Thanks for sharing. Very very cool. [emoji3][emoji3] Two queens of beauty.

WOW. Great videos @Regio X. Thanks for sharing. Very very cool. [emoji3][emoji3] Two queens of beauty.

Wow. Arosio is even more extraordinary looking in the moving image. Unique indeed. She seems like a pure soul; I hope she has had a good life.

Now that I've seen this, I think Gigliola Cinquetti, also of Northern Italian ancestry, is of this type, although the eyes are very different. Cinquetti had, I think, the same "purity" and "sweetness".

No, there's no exact translation for "simpatica" in English. :)

closeup-of-the-famous-singer-gigliola-cinquetti-while-fixing-a-lock-picture-id174303063

You can see it better when she's singing or talking.

With her Eurovision win...I'm Not Old Enough...almost a child...

Charming and flirty...singing a folk song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTKQ4o9TJj4

Btw, imho, Miss Brazil got robbed that year, and Iris Bustamante is gorgeous.

Wow. Arosio is even more extraordinary looking in the moving image. Unique indeed. She seems like a pure soul; I hope she has had a good life.

Now that I've seen this, I think Gigliola Cinquetti, also of Northern Italian ancestry, is of this type, although the eyes are very different. Cinquetti had, I think, the same "purity" and "sweetness".

closeup-of-the-famous-singer-gigliola-cinquetti-while-fixing-a-lock-picture-id174303063

Giglioga Cinquetti was indeed so lovely, her look and facial expressions convey a pure and unassuming simplicity that is rare to find in modern times, she's charming without even trying. ;)

Thanks for sharing Angela. I love Gigliola Cinquetti. What a voice. What a beauty.

I'm a great fan of Gigliola Cinquetti - of her beauty, simplicity, personality, voice, musics... La Domenica andando alla Messa is one of my favorites, by the way, and it has this ability of transporting me to another phase of my life, another place and time that I just loved. I agree she has this "aura" that resembles Arosio's.
Thaks for sharing!

Other very famous people from Ceará

Indeed, some of the most deservedly famous and also (I must say) ugliest representatives of the people from Ceará. LOL! Castello Branco was the very extreme caricature of the cabeça-chata (flat-heads) demeaning nickname that people created to refer to cearenses. hahaha

I couldn't forget one of the most remarkable black Cearenses, the courageous Dragão do Mar (Sea Dragon), the nickname of Francisco José do Nascimento (aka Chico da Matilde, i.e. Matilde's Chico, as it's traditionally been the usual way to refer to married men in the inlands of Ceará, by referring to them as, say Mary's John). He was the poor and powerless sailor who helped Ceará become the first Brazilian province to abolish slavery altogether after leading a movement of sailors who refused to transport slaves to and from other provinces.

drag%C3%A3o-do-mar-aboli%C3%A7%C3%A3o.jpg

But, of course, we couldn't do without another famous and remarkable man from Ceará:

https://imgur.com/a/eKOJzlH

Yep, that's me, the pinnacle of cearense-style ethnic mixing. :embarassed::LOL:

Indeed, some of the most deservedly famous and also (I must say) ugliest representatives of the people from Ceará. LOL! Castello Branco was the very extreme caricature of the cabeça-chata (flat-heads) demeaning nickname that people created to refer to cearenses. hahaha

I couldn't forget one of the most remarkable black Cearenses, the courageous Dragão do Mar (Sea Dragon), the nickname of Francisco José do Nascimento (aka Chico da Matilde, i.e. Matilde's Chico, as it's traditionally been the usual way to refer to married men in the inlands of Ceará, by referring to them as, say Mary's John). He was the poor and powerless sailor who helped Ceará become the first Brazilian province to abolish slavery altogether after leading a movement of sailors who refused to transport slaves to and from other provinces.

drag%C3%A3o-do-mar-aboli%C3%A7%C3%A3o.jpg

But, of course, we couldn't do without another famous and remarkable man from Ceará:

Yep, that's me, the pinnacle of cearense-style ethnic mixing. :embarassed::LOL:
Ygor, you can't blame me. You posted Fagner. Lol Well, at least you balanced him with Tais Lopes, Suyane Moreira, Melissa Gurgel... ;)

By the way, how do you explain what you called "flat-head" in some cearenses? Does it have something to do, perhaps, with some local type of Native Americans?

Didn't know Dragão do Mar. Interesting!

As for you pictures, you look "Iberian" in my opinion.

The last three first ladies.

Current first lady of Brazil, Michelle de Paula Firmo Reinaldo, daughter of a cearense. Her mother is mineira, as Duarte.
AGE20181121059-960x621.jpg

Former first lady Marcela Tedeschi Araújo. The husband Michel Temer is son of Lebanese.
1-750x392.jpg

Marísia Letícia Rocco Casa, also former first lady, and Italian in ancestry (Casa were from Bergamo; don't know about the Rocco). Likely in her 50s.
Marisa-247.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I'm too late. :(

I waited until I was really awake and had a quiet moment to focus.

I guess I'm too late. :(
I waited until I was really awake and had a quiet moment to focus.
Angela, no problem. I deleted them mainly because there was "no quorum", ah ah, but also because the first two are family. Part of the text was intended to "distracting" Eupedia members, since they could suspect (and actually would likely have suspected) the women are family. I'm talking on the list of ethnicities in South Brazil (which is real), by way of examples, and on comments such "please don't cheat". ;)
So, the first is my mom; and the second is my (italianissima) sis. That's also why I haven't keeped them for too long. :)

The third post showed Brazilian actress Aracy Balabanian, daughter of Armenians.

Last edited:
Ygor, you can't blame me. You posted Fagner. Lol Well, at least you balanced him with Tais Lopes, Suyane Moreira, Melissa Gurgel... ;)

By the way, how do you explain what you called "flat-head" in some cearenses? Does it have something to do, perhaps, with some local type of Native Americans?

Didn't know Dragão do Mar. Interesting!

I'm also really curious about where the stereotypical flat-headed type of cearense came from. There's an urban legend here in Ceará that the flat-headed people (cabeças-chatas) weren't born that way, their head was shaped that way because they slept and spent too much time lying on hammocks (a cearense house without hammocks is a useless abomination, as you know, lol), so the top of their head was gradually modified by that. I'm not sure I that's even credible, though... lol ;) But it's indeed a bit strange that we seem to see more flat-headed people in older generations than in younger ones.

As for you pictures, you look "Iberian" in my opinion.

Wow really? I thought at least some of the features of my close black and caboclo (Amerindian-European) ancestors would be visible in my face. :-o What I notice, though, is mainly that I can tan very much, so that I can look nearly white when I'm too long away from sun exposure, but I can also get a quite darkish brown toneif I get under heavy sun exposure for several days.

Now I wonder what other Eupedia members would think about my phenotype.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 25854 times.

Back