Faces of Brazil

I'm also really curious about where the stereotypical flat-headed type of cearense came from. There's an urban legend here in Ceará that the flat-headed people (cabeças-chatas) weren't born that way, their head was shaped that way because they slept and spent too much time lying on hammocks (a cearense house without hammocks is a useless abomination, as you know, lol), so the top of their head was gradually modified by that. I'm not sure I that's even credible, though... lol ;) But it's indeed a bit strange that we seem to see more flat-headed people in older generations than in younger ones.

Wow really? I thought at least some of the features of my close black and caboclo (Amerindian-European) ancestors would be visible in my face. :-o What I notice, though, is mainly that I can tan very much, so that I can look nearly white when I'm too long away from sun exposure, but I can also get a quite darkish brown toneif I get under heavy sun exposure for several days.

Now I wonder what other Eupedia members would think about my phenotype.

https://imgur.com/a/eKOJzlH
That's really curious. I wouldn't have imagined that the use of hammocks could led to this trait.
As for the older generations in NE, apart the head shape, they seem shorter. The new generation of Northeasterners would be substantially taller. At least this is my notion. It likely has to do with diet.

I confess I'm not that knowledgeable in phenotypes, but my first impression was of an Iberian looking, independently of the skin tone. Let's see if other members think the same.

I confess I'm not that knowledgeable in phenotypes, but my first impression was of an Iberian looking, independently of the skin tone. Let's see if other members think the same.

That's right, I think my skin tone is a bit darker, the fuller lips, and perhaps some of the wavy transitioning to curly hair texture that I have (when I let my hair grow much more than its usual length).

Unfortunately I think other forum members didn't get very interested on this game... Lack of quorum as you said, my fellow countryman. Lol

That's right, I think my skin tone is a bit darker, the fuller lips, and perhaps some of the wavy transitioning to curly hair texture that I have (when I let my hair grow much more than its usual length).

Unfortunately I think other forum members didn't get very interested on this game... Lack of quorum as you said, my fellow countryman. Lol

Hello Ygor. I had not seen your post with your photos. I've been kind of distracted lately. The stereotype I have of the typical northeastern people is the one of a people with a flat head, without neck and with the skin very tanned by the sun. I don't think that's the case for you: Your skin is clear, your hair slightly wavy, thin nose and average round face and you have a showy neck. I don't see you looking like a flat-headed, neckless individual (excuse that emphasis on stereotype, but it is necessary to demonstrate that you are out of it). I agree with Regio X. You have an Iberian phenotype. I don't know what is your stature, but one fact that caught my attention is that I seemed much taller than most of the people I met at the work events I attended in Fortaleza, Natal and Recife. The impression I had is that the average ‘belo-horizonte people’ is much taller than the average northeastern people and, yes, our skin tone is much clearer too. In conclusion, you have an Iberian phenotype for me, because I know the Iberian peninsula, Italy, France and Mexico and those are not places where people have a very privileged stature, at least taking my stature as a reference. So I would classify you as Iberian. Fraternal greetings from Belo Horizonte.

I was thinking of posting in the topic “what are your symptoms of COVID-19”, but I believe that photographs are not suitable for that topic. After presenting several symptoms considered 'non-acute' of the infection, including conjunctivitis in the right eye, today I end the compulsory isolation of 14 days. I believe that I am ready to continue the daily battle for life. Fortunately, I didn't had fever and I didn't feel short of breath either.

LKWagca.jpg

L2T5JmY.jpg

VaSobc7.jpg

I was thinking of posting in the topic “what are your symptoms of COVID-19”, but I believe that photographs are not suitable for that topic. After presenting several symptoms considered 'non-acute' of the infection, including conjunctivitis in the right eye, today I end the compulsory isolation of 14 days. I believe that I am ready to continue the daily battle for life. Fortunately, I didn't had fever and I didn't feel short of breath either.

LKWagca.jpg

L2T5JmY.jpg

VaSobc7.jpg

Were you tested and came up positive, Duarte? Did you actually have it?

Were you tested and came up positive, Duarte? Did you actually have it?

Hi Angela. I was vaccinated against influenza right at the beginning of the pandemic, when the municipality decreed the quarantine and determined that the municipal employees who work in the middle activities should go home and work in the “home-office” mode. I am a municipal civil servant. In an occasion, one week after going to a supermarket, some unusual symptoms started to appear, as follows: Itchy body, sore throat, loss of smell, loss of taste, headache and, finally, conjunctivitis in the right eye. This last event forced me to make an online consultation with an accredited doctor, who determined the compulsory quarantine, with the recommendation to attend an accredited hospital immediately if the symptoms progressed to fever and shortness of breath. I was not tested and the symptoms disappeared after the conjunctivitis was cured. I returned to the ‘home-office’ today.

Hi Angela. I was vaccinated against influenza right at the beginning of the pandemic, when the municipality decreed the quarantine and determined that the municipal employees who work in the middle activities should go home and work in the “home-office” mode. I am a municipal civil servant. In an occasion, one week after going to a supermarket, some unusual symptoms started to appear, as follows: Itchy body, sore throat, loss of smell, loss of taste, headache and, finally, conjunctivitis in the right eye. This last event forced me to make an online consultation with an accredited doctor, who determined the compulsory quarantine, with the recommendation to attend an accredited hospital immediately if the symptoms progressed to fever and shortness of breath. I was not tested and the symptoms disappeared after the conjunctivitis was cured. I returned to the ‘home-office’ today.

Well, I'm very glad. It might be a good idea to get tested for the antibodies. If you're positive, it's like a special passport. :)

Hello Duarte.

I hope you are fully recovered. I share Angela's opinion about getting an antibody test.

Big hug!

Hello Duarte.
I hope you are fully recovered. I share Angela's opinion about getting an antibody test.
Big hug!

Thank you Italo.

I'm feeling fine now. There is a psychological component that affects health as well. The news about the disease is always bad and, at first, I thought it might get worse and die. But one thing is real. Conjunctivitis was a clear sign that my immune system was weakened. Many years ago I got infected by the dengue virus. Following the dengue virus infection I had gastro enteritis and conjunctivitis. Viral infections affect my immune system a lot, allowing further infections by opportunistic bacteria. Conjunctivitis was a clear sign to me that I had some viral infection and the most likely candidate is COVID-19.

I will follow Angela's advice and, as soon as I can leave the house, I will do a serological test to see if I have the COVID-19 antibodies to be sure of what actually happened to me.

Big hug dear friend.

Well, I'm very glad. It might be a good idea to get tested for the antibodies. If you're positive, it's like a special passport. :)
The antibodies issue is still a bit complicated. See:
https://www.newsweek.com/covid-19-antibodies-two-months-preliminary-study-1511165

Also:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coronavirus-antibody-tests-have-a-mathematical-pitfall/

Indeed, my wife's aunt tested positive for Covid-19, and had very few symptoms. After a while she tested for antibodies. Negative.

@Duarte
https://exame.com/ciencia/imunidade-contra-covid-19-nao-existe-sugere-estudo/

Let's see what comes next.

Glad to learn that, Duarte. From your pics you're alive and kicking, ready for another battle (hopefully not so soon, right? haha)!

Do you have easy access to testing (public or private) where you live? I've seen lots of reports about Minas Gerais testing less people than any other state in Brazil, so I'm wondering.

Glad to learn that, Duarte. From your pics you're alive and kicking, ready for another battle (hopefully not so soon, right? haha)!

Do you have easy access to testing (public or private) where you live? I've seen lots of reports about Minas Gerais testing less people than any other state in Brazil, so I'm wondering.

Hello Ygor. Thank You. It's true. The state of Minas is not testing almost anyone. That was to be expected from a governor who supports the central government and that said in the last April that the virus will need propagate for the good of all. I have an appointment at 4:00 PM with a doctor. I'm fine but, in any case, let’s see if he will make a referral for the serological test. Big hug dear fellow.
Cheers :)

This thread has been viewed 26253 times.

Back