Faces of Brazil

Ack

Banned
Reaction score
Brazilians are very diverse, but in general there are some predominant phenotypes. All phenotypes can be found anywhere in the country, but some phenotypes are more related to some regions.

* The southeastern region is the most populous and is also quite diverse, but in general it usually dominates the southern European phenotype.

isis valverde - Minas Gerais

IMAGEM_NOTICIA_0.jpg

1522781833052.jpg

Rodrigo Alcazar Faro - São Paulo

Screenshot_21994.jpg

Bruna marquezine - Rio de Janeiro

20200301-rd1-bruna-marquezine.png

bruna-marquezine-09012020123329227

Angelica - São Paulo

angelica_reproducao_instagram-2_374873_36.jpg
3211429-angelica-beija-luciano-huck-e-apresentad-624x600-4.jpg

Luciana Gimenez - São Paulo

1e8f953720e02637d0ea29708c5101ef--beautiful-things.jpg

*Northeast Region:

In the northeast region all phenotypes are found, but there is a predominance of the mestizo/black phenotype.

Iza

20181123085059846158a.jpg

iza.jpg

Ivete Sangalo - Bahia

20191209211448176578i.jpg

RTEmagicC_fb480e666d.jpg.jpg

Claudia Leite - Bahia

02d3c537862a93b48f64191ade35d2fd.jpg

hCU9xUs6asUfMkQHLERGtIJ8CgxhiYZ06Ey9C0cl3BGM5K80xB_qsfUTTBZuN3t-GFEJNptTx67L2bNTK7OsYd0iF0vGfBVbw92fQaJK6a7R6HeY3n9xsp2fCswlYRSFw36WPR0cTL7GpVzKRX10_Q321g

Leo Santana - Bahia

lore.jpg

Lazaro Ramos - Bahia

150653010459cbd338a80b2_1506530104_3x2_md.jpg

Tais Araujo
5u5w45n7jpc1c2sq0e5n6o99i.jpg

*South region

Ana Hickmann - Rio Grande do Sul

anahickmann.jpg

portaldoholanda-689270-imagem-foto-amazonas.png

The southeastern region is the most populous and is also quite diverse, but in general it usually dominates the southern European phenotype.

Attachments

• isis familia.jpg
    isis familia.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 72
Brazilians are very diverse, but in general there are some predominant phenotypes. All phenotypes can be found anywhere in the country, but some phenotypes are more related to some regions.

* The southeastern region is the most populous and is also quite diverse, but in general it usually dominates the southern European phenotype.

isis valverde - Minas Gerais

IMAGEM_NOTICIA_0.jpg

1522781833052.jpg

Rodrigo Alcazar Faro - São Paulo

Screenshot_21994.jpg

Bruna marquezine - Rio de Janeiro

20200301-rd1-bruna-marquezine.png

bruna-marquezine-09012020123329227

Angelica - São Paulo

angelica_reproducao_instagram-2_374873_36.jpg
3211429-angelica-beija-luciano-huck-e-apresentad-624x600-4.jpg

Luciana Gimenez - São Paulo

1e8f953720e02637d0ea29708c5101ef--beautiful-things.jpg

*Northeast Region:

In the northeast region all phenotypes are found, but there is a predominance of the mestizo/black phenotype.

Iza

20181123085059846158a.jpg

iza.jpg

Ivete Sangalo - Bahia

20191209211448176578i.jpg

RTEmagicC_fb480e666d.jpg.jpg

Claudia Leite - Bahia

02d3c537862a93b48f64191ade35d2fd.jpg

hCU9xUs6asUfMkQHLERGtIJ8CgxhiYZ06Ey9C0cl3BGM5K80xB_qsfUTTBZuN3t-GFEJNptTx67L2bNTK7OsYd0iF0vGfBVbw92fQaJK6a7R6HeY3n9xsp2fCswlYRSFw36WPR0cTL7GpVzKRX10_Q321g

Leo Santana - Bahia

lore.jpg

Lazaro Ramos - Bahia

150653010459cbd338a80b2_1506530104_3x2_md.jpg

Tais Araujo
5u5w45n7jpc1c2sq0e5n6o99i.jpg

*South region

Ana Hickmann - Rio Grande do Sul

anahickmann.jpg

portaldoholanda-689270-imagem-foto-amazonas.png

The southeastern region is the most populous and is also quite diverse, but in general it usually dominates the southern European phenotype.

Congratulations Ack. You have chosen images of beautiful Brazilians. Brazil is really a very diverse country and this makes the country a very special place. In fact, in the Southeast, the most populous and developed region in the country, as well as in the Midwest, southern European phenotypes predominate, especially Iberian and Italians. In the south, there is the predominance of phenotypes from central and north Europe, mainly northern Italy and Germany, although in the state of Paraná there are many descendants of Slavs, mainly Russians, Poles and Ukrainians. In the northeast, states of Bahia, Maranhão and also on the coast, the mulatto and black types predominate, although in the northeast’s inland the predominant type is the caboclo, mestizo of indigenous people with whites. In the northern region, all of it within the region of the legal Amazon, the caboclo type predominates, as has already been said, mestizo of white and indigenous. I would give you an upvote, but my forum access, for now, and, temporarily, I want to believe, is limited to Tapatalk. Cheers.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Congratulations Ack. You have chosen images of beautiful Brazilians. Brazil is really a very diverse country and this makes the country a very special place. In fact, in the Southeast, the most populous and developed region in the country, as well as in the Midwest, southern European phenotypes predominate, especially Iberian and Italians. In the south, there is the predominance of phenotypes from central and north Europe, mainly northern Italy and Germany, although in the state of Paraná there are many descendants of Slavs, mainly Russians, Poles and Ukrainians. In the northeast, states of Bahia, Maranhão and also on the coast, the mulatto and black types predominate, although in the northeast’s inland the predominant type is the caboclo, mestizo of indigenous people with whites. In the northern region, all of it within the region of the legal Amazon, the caboclo type predominates, as has already been said, mestizo of white and indigenous. I would give you an upvote, but my forum access, for now, and, temporarily, I want to believe, is limited to Tapatalk. Cheers.

wow...second post is my father exact eye colour ....the guy that is.....................not many have this colour

and the

sixth picture of the blond girl....has my exact eye colour

and

Lovely people; the first woman is particularly stunning imo.

wow...second post is my father exact eye colour ....the guy that is.....................not many have this colour

and the

sixth picture of the blond girl....has my exact eye colour

and

@ torzio. The name of the guy of second picture is André Resende. He’s from Rio de Janeiro and is a professional model. Angelica, pic 6, is a television presenter and presents mainly variety programs.

Lovely people; the first woman is particularly stunning imo.

@Angela. Isis Valverde is stunning and is my countrywoman. She is a television’s actress. Beautiful “mineirinha”.

Cheers [emoji3]

@ torzio. The name of the guy of second picture is André Resende. He’s from Rio de Janeiro and is a professional model. Angelica, pic 6, is a television presenter and presents mainly variety programs.

@Angela. Isis Valverde is stunning and is my countrywoman. She is a television’s actress. Beautiful “mineirinha”.

Cheers [emoji3]

thanks

no Resende in Italy ....but many Resente in Italy

thanks

no Resende in Italy ....but many Resente in Italy

Last name 'resende' is Portuguese. Only in the state of São Paulo is there a greater Italian influence, but in general Brazilians are the result of the mixture between Iberians, Native Americans and Africans. The overwhelming majority of surnames in Brazil are Portuguese.

Using only examples from Bahia to represent the diverse Northeastern region of Brazil is misleading. Bahia is the state with the highest amount of African ancestry in Brazil, and its demographics and genetic history are very different from what you will find in Ceará, Rio Grande do Norte, Paraíba and Piauí, where (in relative terms) much more Amerindian and European components will be present. In fact, for a long time there was even discussion if Bahia is actually part of the Northeast at all, especially its coastal and southern areas have a very particular sociocultural formation, not the typical "nordestino".
In Fortaleza, where I live, black people are a small minority, you're definitely far more likely to find white than black (for Brazilian standards) people. That said, heavily mixed tri-racial people are very numerous - with the important difference that it is the Amerindian element, not the African one, that is more noticeable in that tri-racial mix.

In fact, the main disparity in the Northeast is not between states, but between the 4 ecogeographic sub-regions of Northeast: the Zona da Mata (Forest Zone), the Agreste (forest-steppe hilly region), the Sertão (semi-arid bush depression) and the Meio-Norte (Midnorth, characterized by forests, savannahs and palm forests). Each region also had a different pattern of peopling, and some areas had far more use of slave workforce, therefore showing much more African input than others. In general, the humid tropical areas received lots of Africans, the rest (agreste, sertão, the northeastern coast of the region, which is also only moderately humid and characterized by mangroves and coastal savannah) not very much.

I think the description of the OP is a bit too generalizing. For instance, the Southeast actually has the largest black population in the country, and Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais also have some of the highest percentages of black people in the country. Mixed-race people are also a very large plurality reaching more than 40% of the population in most of the region. So, it's quite misleading to portrait the region as one with a decidedly predominant Southern European type.

As for the South, though Germanic and Slavic elements are a lot more remarkable in its genetic history than elsewhere in Brazil, the Portuguese (yes, the region already had almost 8% of the country's population before large-scale non-Portuguese immigration kickstarted, which suggests that at least 40% of the region's population has Portuguese ancestry), Spanish and Italian elements are still - combined - dominant in the region, so the Southern European looks are very frequent in the region, and around 1/4 of the population is mixed-race.

A dream is to eat a barbecue prepared by Gaúchos (natives from Rio Grande do Sul State), on a Northeast beach, with women from Minas Gerais, organized by Paulistas (natives from São Paulo State), and animated by Cariocas (natives from city of Rio de Janeiro).

A nightmare is to eat a barbecue prepared by Mineiros (natives from Minas Gerais State), on a beach in Rio Grande do Sul, with women from the Northeast, organized by Cariocas and animated by Paulistas.

Luiz Fernando Veríssimo, Brazilian writer (Gaúcho)

Using only examples from Bahia to represent the diverse Northeastern region of Brazil is misleading. Bahia is the state with the highest amount of African ancestry in Brazil, and its demographics and genetic history are very different from what you will find in Ceará, Rio Grande do Norte, Paraíba and Piauí, where (in relative terms) much more Amerindian and European components will be present. In fact, for a long time there was even discussion if Bahia is actually part of the Northeast at all, especially its coastal and southern areas have a very particular sociocultural formation, not the typical "nordestino".
In Fortaleza, where I live, black people are a small minority, you're definitely far more likely to find white than black (for Brazilian standards) people. That said, heavily mixed tri-racial people are very numerous - with the important difference that it is the Amerindian element, not the African one, that is more noticeable in that tri-racial mix.

In fact, the main disparity in the Northeast is not between states, but between the 4 ecogeographic sub-regions of Northeast: the Zona da Mata (Forest Zone), the Agreste (forest-steppe hilly region), the Sertão (semi-arid bush depression) and the Meio-Norte (Midnorth, characterized by forests, savannahs and palm forests). Each region also had a different pattern of peopling, and some areas had far more use of slave workforce, therefore showing much more African input than others. In general, the humid tropical areas received lots of Africans, the rest (agreste, sertão, the northeastern coast of the region, which is also only moderately humid and characterized by mangroves and coastal savannah) not very much.

I think the description of the OP is a bit too generalizing. For instance, the Southeast actually has the largest black population in the country, and Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais also have some of the highest percentages of black people in the country. Mixed-race people are also a very large plurality reaching more than 40% of the population in most of the region. So, it's quite misleading to portrait the region as one with a decidedly predominant Southern European type.

As for the South, though Germanic and Slavic elements are a lot more remarkable in its genetic history than elsewhere in Brazil, the Portuguese (yes, the region already had almost 8% of the country's population before large-scale non-Portuguese immigration kickstarted, which suggests that at least 40% of the region's population has Portuguese ancestry), Spanish and Italian elements are still - combined - dominant in the region, so the Southern European looks are very frequent in the region, and around 1/4 of the population is mixed-race.

Então faça você mesmo outra lista. O Brasil é enorme e não é possível colocar exemplo de todos os estados. As pessoas relacionadas ao nordeste são Baianas, mas eu apresentei tanto o fenótipo africano quanto o fenótipo 'branco'.

Não existe predomínio da genética germânica no sul. A UFMG já divulgou estudos demonstrando que de norte a sul a principal fonte europeia é ibérica e depois italiana. Existe predomínio germânico apenas em indivíduos isolados.

According to Wikipedia, Angelica has ancestors from Poland, Austria, Russia, Italy, Portugal, Croatia, Lithuania, Romania, Moldova and Ukraine. I wonder if this is right. If so, wow! What a mix! :)

Ivete Sangalo's father (or paternal grandparents) were from Spain. She's very "Iberian", which is reinforced by a DNA test she did more than 10 years ago.

Indeed. As examples, I have a brother-in-law and a sister-in-law, siblings, from Fortaleza. Their father was from Ceará, as themselves; he had white skin and blue eyes, and he looked like a typical cearense in other traits. Likely Portuguese with some influence of the local Native Americans (perhaps very few SSA, if any). Their mother - "saint woman" :) - is from RN, which is close. Black haired, brown eyed, with a very white skin. As for other traits, she in turn doesn't fit that well in the stereotype, as her husband did. Possibly Portuguese with even less Native American influence.

My mother-in-law is NE Italian in ancestry, but my (blue eyed) father-in-law, from a Central area of Brazil, must be genetically similar to that cearense. Predominantly Portuguese, with Native American (as reference, likely more than Duarte, as per my wife's results) and SSA (likely less than Duarte) influences. But he is very tanned, curiously. Despite the blue eyes, he could perhaps (almost) pass as a "lighter berber" (not Duarte, who is totally Iberian in phenotype).
Btw, I saw in Pernambuco many mixed people with light eyes and an evident amount of SSA ancestry. Very interesting combination. Perhaps it has something to do with the Dutch influence centuries ago?

The SSA component is indeed stronger (and strong) in Bahia. I had a maternal uncle and I have a paternal aunt living there. He was married to a woman from Sergipe, and she was married to a man from Paraíba. The sergipana seems to have a somewhat important SSA ancestry, whereas the Native American component was certainly strong in the paraibano, but not the SSA.

Regarding South Brazil (where I was born), well, there are important variations in there as well. There're relatively big areas with predominantly Iberian heritage plus some Native American and SSA (this mix defines the "typical/original" gaúcho), others with more North Italians (mainly "trivenetian" - but also Lombard - influence), as myself, others with more Germans, and there are even small places with many Ukrainian people (such Prudentópolis, in PR), and mostly Polish people (such the small Áurea, in RS, for example). Austrians (Treze Tílias, in SC)... And on and on. So it depends. There are also areas with predominance of certain mixes involving some of these groups.

Brazil is really heterogeneous, and IIRC some studies focused just in capitals or in specific cities, not always representative of the states where they're located.

Não existe predomínio da genética germânica no sul. A UFMG já divulgou estudos demonstrando que de norte a sul a principal fonte europeia é ibérica e depois italiana. Existe predomínio germânico apenas em indivíduos isolados.
Tal predomínio existe apenas em "partes" do Sul, não no Sul como um todo.

According to Wikipedia, Angelica has ancestors from Poland, Austria, Russia, Italy, Portugal, Croatia, Lithuania, Romania, Moldova and Ukraine. I wonder if this is right. If so, wow! What a mix! :)

Ivete Sangalo's father (or paternal grandparents) were from Spain. She's very "Iberian", which is reinforced by a DNA test she did more than 10 years ago.

Indeed. As examples, I have a brother-in-law and a sister-in-law, siblings, from Fortaleza. Their father was from Ceará, as themselves; he had white skin and blue eyes, and he looked like a typical cearense in other traits. Likely Portuguese with some influence of the local Native Americans (perhaps very few SSA, if any). Their mother - "saint woman" :) - is from RN, which is close. Black haired, brown eyed, with a very white skin. As for other traits, she in turn doesn't fit that well in the stereotype, as her husband did. Possibly Portuguese with even less Native American influence.

My mother-in-law is NE Italian in ancestry, but my (blue eyed) father-in-law, from a Central area of Brazil, must be genetically similar to that cearense. Predominantly Portuguese, with Native American (as reference, likely more than Duarte, as per my wife's results) and SSA (likely less than Duarte) influences. But he is very tanned, curiously. Despite the blue eyes, he could perhaps (almost) pass as a "lighter berber" (not Duarte, who is totally Iberian in phenotype).
Btw, I saw in Pernambuco many mixed people with light eyes and an evident amount of SSA ancestry. Very interesting combination. Perhaps it has something to do with the Dutch influence centuries ago?

The SSA component is indeed stronger (and strong) in Bahia. I had a maternal uncle and I have a paternal aunt living there. He was married to a woman from Sergipe, and she was married to a man from Paraíba. The sergipana seems to have a somewhat important SSA ancestry, whereas the Native American component was certainly strong in the paraibano, but not the SSA.

Regarding South Brazil (where I was born), well, there are important variations in there as well. There're relatively big areas with predominantly Iberian heritage plus some Native American and SSA (this mix defines the "typical/original" gaúcho), others with more North Italians (mainly "trivenetian" - but also Lombard - influence), as myself, others with more Germans, and there are even small places with many Ukrainian people (such Prudentópolis, in PR), and mostly Polish people (such the small Áurea, in RS, for example). Austrians (Treze Tílias, in SC)... And on and on. So it depends. There are also areas with predominance of certain mixes involving some of these groups.

Brazil is really heterogeneous, and IIRC some studies focused just in capitals or in specific cities, not always representative of the states where they're located.

Tal predomínio existe apenas em "partes" do Sul, não no Sul como um todo.

what is Angelica maiden name ?

my paternal line eye colour
paternal line

Grandfather ..........hair chestnut.....eyes green ..............my grandmother ....black hair and grey eyes

my father .............hair black....eyes green ..................my mother brown hair and hazel eyes

myself ............hair light brown ........eyes green ................my wife, dark blond and blue eyes
1st son .......hair dark blond....eyes blue

2nd son.....hair black......eyes blue and his sons below ..............his wife brown eyes
1st grandson .........hair dark blond ....eyes blue
2nd grandson .........hair mid brown .......eyes blue

paternal line

Grandfather ..........hair chestnut.....eyes green ..............my grandmother ....black hair and grey eyes

my father .............hair black....eyes green ..................my mother brown hair and hazel eyes

myself ............hair light brown ........eyes green ................my wife, dark blond and blue eyes

2nd son.....hair black......eyes blue and his sons below ..............his wife brown eyes
Torzio, her family name is Ksyvickis.

paternal line

This is another very, very famous Brazilian television host, as Angelica: Xuxa (Maria da Graça Meneghel). Very mixed as well.
Her paternal grandfather was son of North Italians (the Meneghel were from Imer, Trento), paternal grandmother Polish in ancestry, and her mother* was a mix of German and Swiss.
*Her mother called Alda Flores da Rocha, but her father died when she was 3, and at the end she would have been raised by gypsies, which must explain the family name. ->
https://vogue.globo.com/semidade/noticia/2019/05/xuxa-estreia-coluna-na-vogue-brasil.html

220px-Xuxa_cropped_%28square%29.jpg

Last edited:
Are there people who look like "Bruna" all over Brazil?

I ask because last time I was in Disney World in Florida there was a group of school girls from Brazil, and I swear they all were that type: rather short, very gracile boned, small, oval faces, very Med features, long dark hair and eyes, and tan skin.

They were lovely; like a flock of delicate birds settling down around us.

Are there people who look like "Bruna" all over Brazil?

I ask because last time I was in Disney World in Florida there was a group of school girls from Brazil, and I swear they all were that type: rather short, very gracile boned, small, oval faces, very Med features, long dark hair and eyes, and tan skin.

They were lovely; like a flock of delicate birds settling down around us.
bruna-marquezine-instagram40brunamarquezine.jpg.jpg

I believe Bruna's type must be easily found in a big part of Brazil, but the "hotspot" is possibly in SE region (São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro... not sure abt. Espírito Santo) plus Goiás, I'd risk to say.

What about this Brazilian model below? Guess the ethnicity. :) Not an easy one, since she's a bit mixed (tip: two ethnicities, if I'm not mistaken; ~75% vs. 25%).

(Brazilians, don't cheat!) :)

069187.jpg

Foto-13.jpg

This is another very, very famous Brazilian television host, as Angelica: Xuxa (Maria da Graça Meneghel). Very mixed as well.
Her paternal grandfather was son of North Italians (the Meneghel were from Imer, Trento), paternal grandmother Polish in ancestry, and her mother was a mix of German and Swiss.

220px-Xuxa_cropped_%28square%29.jpg

she looks like my 4th cousin ( paternal side ) , same hair colour and facial features ....who lives in Cles, Trento .............although my cousin is in her early 30s

I will check her maiden name out

bummer......too many ..................a few examples below

223 results plus

265 results in the Genealogy Library

MENEGHEL Angela
1810 : MARIUZZO Giuseppe

1792 - 1810
Meolo, Venezia, Italy

MENEGHEL Domenica
1874 : ZANETTE Domenico

1855 - 1874

Sacile, Pordenone, Italy

MENEGHEL Pietro Giacomo
1912 : ONGORO Domenica

1883 - 1912
Orsago, Treviso, Italy

MENEGHEL Pietro Giacomo
1912 : ONGORO Domenica

1883 - 1912
Gaiarine, Treviso, Italy

MENEGHEL Maria
CROSERA Giovanni Battista

1819 - 1874
Meolo, Venezia, Italy

MENEGHEL Luigia
1915 : ZARATTIN Pietro

1895 - 1915
Torre di Mosto, Venezia, Italy

bruna-marquezine-instagram40brunamarquezine.jpg.jpg

I believe Bruna's type must be easily found in a big part of Brazil, but the "hotspot" is possibly in SE region (São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro... not sure abt. Espírito Santo) plus Goiás, I'd risk to say.

What about this Brazilian model below? Guess the ethnicity. :) Not an easy one, since she's a bit mixed (tip: two ethnicities, if I'm not mistaken; ~75% vs. 25%).

(Brazilians, don't cheat!) :)

069187.jpg

Foto-13.jpg

Yeah, Regio. She is really a very beautiful woman. Just one more pic to help.

t1Za9BM.jpg

Yeah, Regio. She is really a very beautiful woman. Just one more pic to help.

t1Za9BM.jpg

Yeah. Yours seems a bit more recent.

She's really beautiful.

This thread has been viewed 25837 times.

Back