Covid Why is mortality from Covid-19 higher in Italy?

Interesting, but Sweden was one of the few countries that did not implement any kind of lockdown. As people move around Europe all the time, and with Covid being so infectious, I don't see why both strains of the virus shouldn't have reached Sweden?

It was my understanding the "recommendations" were there; they just didn't impose legislation. The Swedish minister in charge of the response said they were wrong in their approach, by the way.

Plus, wouldn't it be more important to see how many people were going to Sweden and how many Swedes left and then returned?

I found the abstract a little confusing, also. Did they imply there was another strain as well, or did it all mutate?

Maybe someone has some other articles about it.

SARS-CoV-2 genomes obtained from patients in Stockholm belonged to the genetic strains 20C/B.1/G and 20B/B.1.1/GR. Along with B.1/G from Italy, they are the three main strains found in Sweden. B.1/G declined in prevalence by late April in Sweden, while 20C/B.1/G and 20B/B.1.1/GR mutated locally from B.1/G and they became more prevalent in the country. One of the Swedish strains carries the novel mutation, which affects the attachment of the virion to the cell, thus weakening the spike protein's infectivity. An earlier study by Indian researchers came up with similar results, which found two Swedish mutations, one of which was benign without being specific about the mutations.

A variant was identified that could have destabilizing effects

In one of the genomes, a variant was found at 23463bp that was not found in any other GenBank SARS-CoV-2 genome. The mutation changes an arginine residue to a histidine residue at position 364 in the S1 subunit of the viral spike protein.

The researchers say this variant in the spike protein could have destabilizing effects.

“The variant is located at the surface of the S1 subunit, and could possibly affect the attachment of the virion to the cell, even though it does not change the receptor-binding domain itself,” writes the team.

Three genomes were strains previously thought to have declined in Sweden

On comparing the four SARS-CoV-2 genomes obtained from patients in Stockholm with those detected globally, the researchers found that they belonged to the genetic strains 20C/B.1/G and 20B/B.1.1/GR.

The Public Health Agency of Sweden had previously reported these genetic groups as two of the three main strains found in Sweden.

However, three of the genomes are from group B.1/G, which was also reported by the Public Health Agency of Sweden to have declined in prevalence by late April, say Soratto and team.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...-in-SARS-CoV-2-spike-protein-from-Sweden.aspx

One factor affecting Italy's death rate may be the age of its population, it has the oldest population in Europe, with about 23% of residents 65 or older

one reason is the health system, another is the social habits and for sure there are other not so noticeable aspects in the equation eg. 1. 5G experiments and 2. spiritual risks because lesser Grace because the decadent lifestyle if we take in account that the northern part of Italy is richer thus more hedonistic which by all means could be factor plus in this kind of pandemics!

Quite honestly, not much of it makes sense when you are looking at actual cases.
Examples:
My Aunt-on a ventilator for 12 weeks. after 6 months Recovered. Age is 82. slightly active
My Father In Law- no symptoms. Age 86. Active
My Mother- few symptoms (and is prone to pneumonia). Age 87. wheelchair.

As was pointed out upthread, some scientists believe the virus mutated to become less lethal before reaching northern Europe. It makes sense. People are just not dying of it as they did at the beginning,and I don't think it's just the therapeutics.

Quite honestly, not much of it makes sense when you are looking at actual cases.

its fact that this virus is spreading everywhere with bigger consequences for chronically ill people, yet in some places like northern italy (havent followed the stats) it became aggressive at alarming proportions as media were reporting, now how much of this is just panic and how much dangerous level of fatality there I am not aware!

I have deliberately listed 5G experiments above, not that I am somehow knowledgeable in the matter, but eg. Milan was at risk if such networks produce somehow stress to the immunity coz constant microwave exposure, lets say any wifi is risk factor 2g 3g 4g etc. especially if the phones or modems dont have clear signal thus they are working on higher frequencies as devices so they can obtain their stable connection, so things can easily go in wrong direction, but what is more strange in Milan there is 5G institute department who is collaborating with the wuhan university responsible for the 5G network technology, does this means they are experimenting there and thus worsened the side effects of the local epidemiology can say, but assume that there is no coincidence in this case, tho again I havent seen the stats so all this guessing for the higher mortality in No.It. is more like speculation than logical thesis ...

probably the diet also have role, but unlike many thesis for what I have head about, i'll suggest that they the lombardians are maybe more prone to fatality coz higher rate of diary products consumption, also problematic -pril and -tan pharmaceuticals, in both cases like that stimulating the infamous ACE-2 receptors through which this virus is entering the human cells!

As was pointed out upthread, some scientists believe the virus mutated to become less lethal before reaching northern Europe.

this the logical outcome as collective immunity result with all the past pandemics in this century, and for sure if not now later this would become regular way of reducing its virtuosity! but on other hand there are speculation that this outcome is more like eugenic scenario , but my theory is focused just on the need for instant world economy shapeshifting from fiat to crypto money...

Statistics and data are of course cool. But don't you think it's simpler than that? Don't you think Mother Nature is just tired of what we do to her? Don't you think we just need to start going where we've already been and start creating with nature?

purely my personal opinion! Some countries work for statistics, others help their citizens! So it turns out that in some countries they want to talk about it openly, in others we have a situation of deliberately hidden monitoring! And this is undoubtedly one of the main problems with which it is unlikely that it will be possible to solve!

This thread has been viewed 24835 times.

Back