Potential R1a-M458 sample discovered in Bronze Age South-West Germany

Interesting news indeed.
I13780 seems to be downstream. If you hit the info button, you will see that it is positive for R-YP4289 and R-Y126934 under YP263. Besides the Swiss MX265 there is also I25524 (IA La Tene - Hungary) at M458 level (this is the sample reported as PF6155 in the british paper) although it also seems positive for a downstream SNP (R-Z29307).

Yea. The problem is he is no call for YP263 which defines those downstream branches. So its likely to remain R-L1029 given the lack in confidence of placement. If any moderns ever pop up that form a branch with the sample it could change in the future. Recently some of the L1029's with no calls formed downstream branches, and the Pole L1029 with no callsand Slovakian L1029* should form a clade in the next update. Only the German Czech is truly R-L1029* at the moment.

The Hungary La Tene sample that I'd M458 is very Balto-Slavic shifted. Unless these samples are misdated they are outliers.

The L1029 sample if misdated could be late antiquity/early medieval, given his Scando-Germanic admixture. However, as far as I know they were archaeologically dated to La Tene. Not sure how that differs from carbon dating though.

Yea. The problem is he is no call for YP263 which defines those downstream branches. So its likely to remain R-L1029 given the lack in confidence of placement. If any moderns ever pop up that form a branch with the sample it could change in the future. Recently some of the L1029's with no calls formed downstream branches, and the Pole L1029 with no callsand Slovakian L1029* should form a clade in the next update. Only the German Czech is truly R-L1029* at the moment.

I13780 is now classified under YP5267 (downstream of YP263> R-Y18892) on the Ytree live.
L1029's TMRCA should increase accordingly.

I13780 is now classified under YP5267 (downstream of YP263> R-Y18892) on the Ytree live.
L1029's TMRCA should increase accordingly.

Since the sample wasn't properly carbon dated they will not adjust the tmrca I'm afraid. It was already moved downstream.

Since the sample wasn't properly carbon dated
I did not know that. Is there any serious reason to believe that it is younger than iron age ?

On Anthrogenica it is said that the man was buried wearing a Celtic arm-ring, so that would validate the initial date.

I did not know that. Is there any serious reason to believe that it is younger than iron age ?

One would assume based on its Scando-Germanic makeup with 20%ish Balto-Slavoc shift that it could be East Germanic and therefore late antiquity.

However, according to some, even if he is likely an immigrant some generations earlier, he was buried with a Celtic arm ring. Which suggests it could very well be late Iron Age as anticipated.

If it was carbon dated and confirmed, it would have given a huge overhaul to the TMRCA of L1029.

This thread has been viewed 11894 times.

Back