Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Gene-flow from steppe individuals into Cucuteni-Trypillia associated populations

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U7a4

Ethnic group
    Iranian

2 members found this post helpful.

Gene-flow from steppe individuals into Cucuteni-Trypillia associated populations

Gene-flow from steppe individuals into Cucuteni-Trypillia associated populations indicates long-standing contacts and gradual admixture

Abstract

The Cucuteni-Trypillia complex (CTC) flourished in eastern Europe for over two millennia (5100–2800 BCE) from the end of the Neolithic to the Early Bronze Age. Its vast distribution area encompassed modern-day eastern Romania, Moldova and western/central Ukraine. Due to a lack of existing burials throughout most of this time, only little is known about the people associated with this complex and their genetic composition. Here, we present genome-wide data generated from the skeletal remains of four females that were excavated from two Late CTC sites in Moldova (3500–3100 BCE). All individuals carried a large Neolithic-derived ancestry component and were genetically more closely related to Linear Pottery than to Anatolian farmers. Three of the specimens also showed considerable amounts of steppe-related ancestry, suggesting influx into the CTC gene-pool from people affiliated with, for instance, the Ukraine Mesolithic. The latter scenario is supported by archaeological evidence. Taken together, our results confirm that the steppe component arrived in eastern Europe farming communities maybe as early as 3500 BCE. In addition, they are in agreement with the hypothesis of ongoing contacts and gradual admixture between incoming steppe and local western populations.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-61190-0

There is also a sample from Glavanesti
    Vechi (Romania) same time period and culture with R1a-Z93 and very Yamnaya-like and/or even Steppe_Maykop-like.
    Any thoughts on this early Steppe push into the CTC ?
    Last edited by Anfänger; 12-04-20 at 08:54. Reason: Forgot the link to the Paper

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

1 members found this post helpful.
    Here is the PCA plot. The Cucuteni samples are the red dots from Moldova (Gordinești, Pocrovca 1, Pocrovca 2, Pocrovca 3) and the blue dots from Verteba Cave in Ukraine (I1926, I2110, I2111, I3151). They are intermediary between the LBK + Anatolian Neolithic and Bell Beaker (although some German Bell Beaker samples fall right in the middle of the Cucuteni-Trypillian samples).

The K=12 admixture plot show that the CTC samples had between 15 and 40% of WHG and 5 to 30% of Yamna - the remainder being Neolithic farmer.

Unfortunately no Y-DNA...
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-Z2103
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U7a4

Ethnic group
    Iranian

=Unfortunately no Y-DNA...
    Sorry, I didn't put in the link to the R1a-Z93 sample but it was mentioned several times in other threads so thought it was known.
    But it is from here:

https://genome.cshlp.org/content/30/3/427

Carlos thoughts about this sample:
    https://indo-european.eu/2020/03/ful...e-trypillians/

1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Anfänger View Post
    Sorry, I didn't put in the link to the R1a-Z93 sample but it was mentioned several times in other threads so thought it was known.
    But it is from here:

https://genome.cshlp.org/content/30/3/427
    Carlos thoughts about this sample:
    https://indo-european.eu/2020/03/ful...e-trypillians/
    I think that R1a-Z93 is not from Yamnaya but from Khvalynsk culture and Sredny Stog culture.