Milk, meat and plants in prehistoric East African herders

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
It could also be titled why East Africans have their own Lactase Persistence genes.

See:
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/04/07/1920309117

From archaeology news, a shorter synthesis...

ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI—According to a statement released by Washington University in St. Louis in St. Louis, Katherine M. Grillo of the University of Florida, Fiona Marshall of Washington University, and Julie Dunne of the University of Bristol analyzed residues on pottery recovered from prehistoric sites in Kenya and Tanzania, and detected traces of cooked milk, meat, and plants. Grillo said the ability for adults to digest milk, known as lactase persistence, had been thought to have evolved in East Africa about 4,000 years ago, based upon previous genetic studies and the bones of cattle, sheep, and goats found at archaeological sites. The results of the residue testing yielded the first direct evidence of milk processing in East Africa by ancient pastoralists, Grillo explained.

I'm reminded of those photos of disgusting skinhead "Aryans" guzzling milk to show one of their "superior" traits. I believe I posted a photo of East Africans guzzling milk right next to them. :)

these are the Cushites
autosomal PPNB Levantine
haplo Eb1b1b1
check E-V32, but also other subclades

haplogroup-e-v32-9a60067f-5232-4ad2-b0ab-f130a041581-resize-750.jpg

This thread has been viewed 1686 times.

Back