Pigmentation and other traits from ancient Italian samples (Antonio et al. 2019)

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I was wondering if anyone had checked the SNPs of Iron Age Italian samples from Antonio et al. 2019 for things like hair colour, eye colour, skin pigmentation, body height, lactose tolerance, etc. ?

I have the BAM files, but they are huge (over 2 GB each) and not easy to handle. Did anyone upload them for analysis or check the relevant individual SNPs? That would be interesting.

Thanks! I am going to summarise some traits here.

R1 (Protovillanovan from Martinsicuro- 930-839 BCE)

Eye colour : blue
Hair colour : dark
Hair type : straight
Skin colour : light
Height : average
Lactose : intolerant

R1015 (Villanovan from Veio Grotta Gramiccia - 900-800 BCE)

Hair colour : fair?
Hair type : straight?

R1016 (Latin from Castel di Decima - 900-700 BCE - R1b-Z2103)

R1021 (Latin from Boville Ernica - 700-600 BCE - R1b-L51>Z2118)

R850 (Greek-like Latin from Ardea - 650 BCE - T1a)

Eye colour : brown

R851 (Latin from Ardea - 800-500 BCE - R1b-U152>L2>F29470)

Hair colour : brown

R473 (Etruscan from Civitavecchia - 700-600 BCE)

Eye colour : light brown?
Hair type : curly

R474 (Etruscan from Civitavecchia - 700-600 BCE - J2b2a-CTS6190)

R475 (Etruscan from Civitavecchia - 700-600 BCE)

Hair colour : light brown
Hair type : wavy
Height : slightly taller

R435 (Latin from Praeneste - 600-200 BCE - R1b-U152>Z56>CTS6389)

R437 (South Italian-like Latin from Praeneste - 400-200 BCE - R1b-U152>L2>PR3565)

SNPs are not always available for all traits. Nevertheless what we see from these few samples is that only the 3 Etruscans had curly or wavy hair, while all the Villanovans and Latins had straight hair. Blue eyes is dominant among Latins. Fair hair might be present in one Villanovan and one Latin, while lighter than average brown hair is likely in two Etruscans. All samples are lactose intolerant.

Last edited:
R1 (Protovillanovan - 930-839 BCE)
R850 (Greek-like Latin from Ardea - 650 BCE)
R437 (South Italian-like Latin from Praeneste - 400-200 BCE)

thank you

further info on R1

R1
mtDNA: U5a2b

Born in Nis, Liburnia ( modern north Croatia )
Died in North Picene lands ( modern Marche region, Italy )

Some authors say she was a slave ...........but she lived to 91 ...............so I am unsure

her skeleton was found here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martinsicuro

The sample clusters close to the Early Iron Age sample from Jazinka (ca. 780 BC), from the central Dalmatian onomastic region, on the east Adriatic coast opposite to Abruzzo, possibly related to the south-east Dalmatian (or Illyrian proper) onomastic region to the south. However, there is no clear boundary between hydrotoponymic regions for the Bronze Age, and it is quite close to the (possibly Venetic-related) Liburnian onomastic region to the north, so the accounts of Martinsicuro belonging to the Liburni in proto-historical times can probably be extrapolated to the Final Bronze Age.
NOTE. Based on feminine endings in -ona in the few available anthroponyms, Liburnian may have shared similarities with personal names of the Noricum province, which doesn’t seem to be related to the more recent (Celtic- or Germanic-related?) Noric language.

[url=https://postimages.org/]
[/URL]

I was wondering if anyone had checked the SNPs of Iron Age Italian samples from Antonio et al. 2019 for things like hair colour, eye colour, skin pigmentation, body height, lactose tolerance, etc. ?

I have the BAM files, but they are huge (over 2 GB each) and not easy to handle. Did anyone upload them for analysis or check the relevant individual SNPs? That would be interesting.

Roman Iron Age zip files in AncestryDNA’s format + ...

Credit to Jovialis :)

Here are the Iron Age samples from Ancient Rome: A genetic crossroads of Europe and the Mediterranean

I used WGS extract to "convert" the files from BAM to usable raw data, in WGS combined, as well as AncestryDNA format:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hzqdryr37t7s0cm/Antonio_M._et_al_2019_-_Iron_Age_Samples.zip/file

These files do not work on Gedmatch, they get status Percent HTZ out of range

But they do work on Admixture Studio.

Enjoy!

I think Maciamo's summary is pretty close to accurate. You can't go by one allele. It's the combination that counts.

If there were enough alleles they could be run through the latest forensic calculators and that would get us the closest to the reality.

One thing that makes sense is a paper I saw a few years ago about the very large percentage of Italians who carry one "blue eye" gene, in addition to those who actually have light colored eyes.

Hello @torzio. How are you my dear friend.
I believe that yourDNAportal's predictions are, mostly, reliable, at least in my specific case. Until I was 6 years old I was a child with blond hair. Gradually my hair was darkening over time. Perhaps due to the action of hormones and environmental factors combined, I can not say for sure, although I believe that people with blond hair do not have, necessarily, to be have blue or green eyes. In Brazil it is quite common to see blond people (natural) with brown eyes. The converse is also true, at least in the region of the country where I live. All right that we are a very miscegenated people, which is a great truth, and that such miscegenation was not common in the times when these ancient individuals lived.
As this topic deals with the phenotypic issue of old samples and considering that 'yourDNAportal' is being used as the standard platform to determine the phenotype of old samples from the uploading of VCF files containing the SNPs of these samples, I post below the results that I obtained, both in the free version (which has been used by @Jovialis and @Salento), as in the paid version, the last one containing features that were unlocked by disbursing a specific amount. The objective is to give credibility to the experiment, in an attempt to demonstrate the accuracy of the results obtained.

yourDNAportal paying USD 8.00 for unlock:

yourDNAportal - All my genetic markers for longevity, youthfulness, skin health and physical appearance. I payed USD 8.00 for unlock.

H5KlfMv.jpg

YourDNAportal for free:

CVK9ndW.png

xkt4CIu.png

My Phenotype:

dGQKDOy.jpg

Hello @torzio. How are you my dear friend.
I believe that yourDNAportal's predictions are, mostly, reliable, at least in my specific case. Until I was 6 years old I was a child with blond hair. Gradually my hair was darkening over time. Perhaps due to the action of hormones and environmental factors combined, I can not say for sure, although I believe that people with blond hair do not have, necessarily, to be have blue or green eyes. In Brazil it is quite common to see blond people (natural) with brown eyes. The converse is also true, at least in the region of the country where I live. All right that we are a very miscegenated people, which is a great truth, and that such miscegenation was not common in the times when these ancient individuals lived.
As this topic deals with the phenotypic issue of old samples and considering that 'yourDNAportal' is being used as the standard platform to determine the phenotype of old samples from the uploading of VCF files containing the SNPs of these samples, I post below the results that I obtained, both in the free version (which has been used by @Jovialis and @Salento), as in the paid version, the last one containing features that were unlocked by disbursing a specific amount. The objective is to give credibility to the experiment, in an attempt to demonstrate the accuracy of the results obtained.

yourDNAportal paying USD 8.00 for unlock:

dGQKDOy.jpg

I agree with yourself

I was born blond and by 5 i had mid brown hair ...............I was also born with green eyes and have still got green eyes
one of my sons born blond hair and blue eyes ...............3 decades later he has brown hair and blue eyes
one my grandson , born blond with blue eyes ........he is 2 and a half years old and he is now starting to turn from blonde to brown hair, eyes still blue

my father , born with black hair and green eyes ...............never changed
my grandfather born blond with green eyes.............military records shows , chestnut hair ( has red in it ) and green eyes

Morale of the story ...........Lets ignore hair colour and stick only to eye colour as it is set at 6 months after birth and does not change

Last edited:
I agree with yourself

I was born blond and by 5 i had mid brown hair ...............I was also born with green eyes and have still got green eyes
one of my sons born blond hair and blue eyes ...............3 decades later he has brown hair and blue eyes
one my grandson , born blond with blue eyes ........he is 2 and a half years old and he is now starting to turn from blonde to brown hair, eyes still blue

my father , born with black hair and green eyes ...............never changed
my grandfather born blond with green eyes.............military records shows , chestnut hair ( has red in it ) and green eyes

Morale of the story ...........Lets ignore hair colour and stick only to eye colour as it is set at 6 months after birth and does not change

My hair color seems to have changed since my early 20s. It was lighter then, but perhaps because it was longer.

Here is the other Palestrina Latin R435 (@Maciamo, R437 is also from Palestrina, the designation Pareneste is a mistake originally made by MTA):

Actually Praeneste is the Latin name of Palestrina. I prefer to use the ancient name. ;)

R1 (Protovillanovan from Martinsicuro- 930-839 BCE)

R1015 (Villanovan from Veio Grotta Gramiccia - 900-800 BCE)

R1016 (Latin from Castel di Decima - 900-700 BCE - R1b-Z2103)

R1021 (Latin from Boville Ernica - 700-600 BCE - R1b-L51>Z2118)

R850 (Greek-like Latin from Ardea - 650 BCE - T1a)

R851 (Latin from Ardea - 800-500 BCE - R1b-U152>L2>F29470)

R473 (Etruscan from Civitavecchia - 700-600 BCE)

Eye colour : light brown?

R474 (Etruscan from Civitavecchia - 700-600 BCE - J2b2a-CTS6190)

R475 (Etruscan from Civitavecchia - 700-600 BCE)

Hair type : wavy
Height : slightly taller

R435 (Latin from Praeneste - 600-200 BCE - R1b-U152>Z56>CTS6389)

R437 (South Italian-like Latin from Praeneste - 400-200 BCE - R1b-U152>L2>PR3565)

SNPs are not always available for all traits. Nevertheless what we see from these few samples is that only the 3 Etruscans had curly or wavy hair, while all the Villanovans and Latins had straight hair. Blue eyes is dominant among Latins. Fair hair might be present in one Villanovan and one Latin, while lighter than average brown hair is likely in two Etruscans. All samples are lactose intolerant.

Excellent work,

I look like R437, except I'm above average in height (6 foot, 2 inches). I'm closest to him genetically as well, except I'm more "North-Eastern" shifted.

These are my traits (slightly different and more informative from the one I posted in the yourdnaportal thread, because I am using my Superkit, for this one) Jovialis-Traits
tRBy8tf.png

This thread has been viewed 10739 times.

Back