3600 yo mummy from Egypt

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
It would be nice to know the genetic make up of such an old Egyptian...I hope it's not too deteriorated to get a good sample.

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8656-200427-egypt-coffin-mummy

"
Luxor-Bead-Necklace.jpg
[COLOR=#000000 !important](Courtesy José Galán/The Djehuty Project in Egypt)

[/COLOR]
LUXOR, EGYPT—Ahram Online reports that a wood coffin containing a mummy, a small coffin made of mud, and funerary equipment dating to the 17th Dynasty (ca. 1635–1550 B.C.) were found in a mudbrick chapel in the Dra Abul Naga necropolis, which is located on Luxor’s West Bank. José Galán, a member of a joint Spanish and Egyptian archaeological mission, said the anthropoid coffin was carved from a single sycamore tree, coated with whitewash, and painted red. The poorly preserved mummy of a girl, aged approximately 15 years old at the time of death, was found resting on her side inside the coffin. She was wearing two spiral-shaped earrings coated with metal in one ear, and two rings, one made of bone and the other of metal, string, and a blue glass bead. A total of four necklaces fastened together with a faience clip rested on her chest. One of the necklaces was made of amethyst, carnelian, amber, blue glass, and quartz beads. The small mud coffin contained a wooden ushabti figurine wrapped in four linen bandages. In a nearby funerary shaft, Galán and his team also recovered a pair of leather sandals that had been dyed red and decorated with images of the god Bes, the goddess Taweret, a pair of cats, an ibex, and a rosette. Based upon their size, the sandals are thought to have been worn by a woman, he added.

One of the things I really miss about life before this damn quarantine is going to the museums in New York. I go to the Met at least four or five times a year, and I always pay a visit to the Egyptian section. It's awe-inspiring and calming at the same time.

86740563_969f3911a5_b.jpg

correction .. a 3600 yo old mummie.

I wonder why we have so little DNA from Egypt.
Is it the authorities who obstruct?

An excellent collection of the period of ancient Egypt is located in St. Petersburg in the Hermitage Museum. Very impressive. If you find yourself in this city, I highly recommend it.

This thread has been viewed 3858 times.

Back