Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
I made Eurogenes K15 average of 53 Quebec kits (GEDCOMs with full ancestry from Quebec).

I did not filter out outliers, and not all of them are ethnically French. Simply, all European-descended inhabitants.

Here is the result, Quebec(n=53) in K15, perhaps I will add some more kits to this average:

utIixQE.png

For comparison, Canada Prince Edward Island (n=3 small sample size):

6tx1buJ.png

Last edited:
I will continue this project showing also other regional averages.

Nova Scotia (n=21):

MxZv0kV.png

New Brunswick (n=19):

VoRs6i5.png

Newfoundland (n=25):

FwZ2NYb.png

Last edited:
USA, Maine (n=11):

DN7CabZ.png

USA, Wisconsin (n=32):

4tpHPRn.png

CAN, Ontario (n=22):

OdvelMy.png

Feel free to send me more kits.

The main requirement is that all 4 grandparents were born in the same state/province.

USA, Ohio (n=41):

3hDs5lv.png

USA, Georgia (n=28):

UI7n7pj.png

Connecticut (n=10):

xSJ2tLZ.png

North Dakota (n=9), here rather the sample is too eastern-shifted:

n9PVkCy.png

Last edited:
Nebraska (n=11):

8W842k7.png

Massachusetts (n=24):

v22uT2R.png

Maryland (n=15):

T5VbzYM.png

Texas (n=29):

kzPuQpO.png

Michigan (n=30):

WxC2wGb.png

New Jersey (n=9 small sample size):

8A3mAPo.png

Washington (n=16):

S7G8HYK.png

Rhode Island (n=4):

gaB1wpb.png

Tennessee (n=31):

GkJKuKY.png

Last edited:
Virginia (n=32):

CjjvdW1.png

Wyoming (n=6):

D03xb0b.png

Canada Manitoba (n=5):

3JlaKOl.png

Missouri (n=21):

GCZWHA3.png

Last edited:
Arkansas (n=8):

23Y5R23.png

Canada, Alberta (n=8):

W0mpDGK.png

British Columbia (n=8):

vk4W1mp.png

USA, Indiana (n=18):

osjIM8F.png

Utah (n=30):

YfSYkgq.png

Last edited:
Kentucky (n=50):

vZ4RYO1.png

North Carolina (n=44):

kWN4VgJ.png

Illinois (n=37):

FFrbua0.png

South Carolina (n=25):

YwHSubk.png

Alabama (n=30):

d3Cscvc.png

Louisiana (n=28):

c0t4jIx.png

Montana (n=4):

CKbpsdU.png

Last edited:
Pennsylvania (n=45):

RuEuu7d.png

Mennonites (n=31), from few different states/provinces:

Lp9Ii9x.png

Oklahoma (n=14):

bkTgg2b.png

Last edited:
Mississippi (n=12):

yU2uA8P.png

New York (n=69):

fC8C0Gf.png

Last edited:
Excellent idea, Tomenable! The USA is a melting pot and American people may not always know where their ancestors came from. Many people tend to associate their ancestry with their surname, even if that only represents a single line of ancestry. When we merge all ancestry and look at the autosomal admixture, the picture gets clearer as to what part of Europe people in each part of the USA and Canada are closest too. Since English, Dutch and German ancestry makes up a high percentage of all ancestry, it is not surprising that many states are closest to these countries.

What is more surprising is that quite a few states have an admixture that resembles most that of Belgian people. When we think about it, Belgium is right in between England, the Netherlands, Germany and France. There is significant French ancestry in Quebec, Arcadia and Louisiana, so when we merge all 4 countries the resulting admixture looks Belgian. That is the case in Louisiana and Texas, New Brunswick, Rhode Island, Ohio, but also in Wyoming and Montana.

States which have both significant German and Polish ancestry, like Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin, are closest to East Germans.

New York and Connecticut look Austrian due to their combined Italian, Ashkenazi Jewish and German ancestry.

I have made a map showing the closest dominant autosomal admixture in each state. Continue the good work, Tomenable. I will update the map once you compute the data for the remaining states.

Dominant_ancestry_US_Canada.png

Excellent idea, Tomenable! The USA is a melting pot and American people may not always know where their ancestors came from. Many people tend to associate their ancestry with their surname, even if that only represents a single line of ancestry. When we merge all ancestry and look at the autosomal admixture, the picture gets clearer as to what part of Europe people in each part of the USA and Canada are closest too. Since English, Dutch and German ancestry makes up a high percentage of all ancestry, it is not surprising that many states are closest to these countries.

What is more surprising is that quite a few states have an admixture that resembles most that of Belgian people. When we think about it, Belgium is right in between England, the Netherlands, Germany and France. There is significant French ancestry in Quebec, Arcadia and Louisiana, so when we merge all 4 countries the resulting admixture looks Belgian. That is the case in Louisiana and Texas, New Brunswick, Rhode Island, Ohio, but also in Wyoming and Montana.

States which have both significant German and Polish ancestry, like Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin, are closest to East Germans.

New York and Connecticut look Austrian due to their combined Italian, Ashkenazi Jewish and German ancestry.

I have made a map showing the closest dominant autosomal admixture in each state. Continue the good work, Tomenable. I will update the map once you compute the data for the remaining states.

Dominant_ancestry_US_Canada.png
Hawaii would be Japanese? Looking forward to what you'll add, also to Alaska. A lot of people out there are also confused by terminology such as "Pennsylvania Dutch" (referring to "Deutsch" (German) and not people from the Netherlands). Minnesota will probably be Sweden. As for Cali: I predict it being very difficult to actually pinpoint one or two.

Of course, many of these states are quite large, larger than many European states, so an examination at the county level would also be informative. For instance, I know that southeastern Iowa, around Davenport, had a significant immigrant population all from just one state of Germany, Holstein. I suspect too that western New York, the upstate region and the NYC metro area would have very different metrics.

Tomenable, this is going to be an average of self-selected gedmatch users, thus, people who are interested in their genetics and are pretty sophisticated about it, so just on its face it's not going to be representative necessarily of the real dominant ancestry of each state, right?

Given that, there will be virtually no Blacks or Hispanics, and even the averaging of the "white" testees won't necessarily give an accurate picture. It won't be completely off for Americans from states like Utah and other western states, Nebraska, Wyoming, Maine, the southern states (other than that you won't see all the blacks), places like that, or, in other words, states that are still pretty homogeneous and mostly descended from the original "Colonials". Some heavily German and Scandinavian areas in the Upper Midwest would show that ancestry but of course the similarities are going to be changed because they are going to be averaged with French Canadian, Irish, Polish, Italian etc. gedmatch users from those areas if there are any.

It's going to be inaccurate for states like Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Ohio, Pennsylvania, California, Texas etc. Trust me, the people in New Jersey are not mostly Friulan like. :) What happens with the averaging is that Southern Italian gedmatch users mixed with Irish and English gedmatch users and a few Poles thrown in is going to give you a far northeastern Italian.

The largest population group in Texas, if not now, then soon, will be Hispanic, mostly Mexican. In Massachusetts, the Irish predominate, but there are English descent Yankees still there and a very large Italian-American community, as there is in Rhode Island and Connecticut. In New York, you have large populations of Blacks and Hispanics, especially in the Metro area, along with the Irish and Italians and Jews, but the rest of New York State is heavily English, German, and still Dutch from early settlement days, although even there you have large Italian communities in the Albany area and far in the west in Buffalo. Lots of Poles in Buffalo too. Pennsylvania is a mish-mash like that as well.

Someone mentioned Hawaii. Japanese people are the largest ethnic group, but there are also Chinese, as well as Polynesians, and people of English descent. Is the gedmatch group going to reflect that. If there are a few Japanese users and they're mixed with the usual English or German Americans, you might get Central Asians as the dominant group, right?

This analysis got some of the complexity, but even here it can be misleading: It doesn't show the Jews anywhere (most are where Italians are, generally), it doesn't show the Poles, it doesn't show all the English descendants in the "German" Midwest, or in the Hispanic areas such as in Texas or southern California, and it totally misses the complexity of places like Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Ohio. Part of this "problem" with "English" ancestry, is that a lot of the descendants of "Colonial" Era Americans, just identify as "American" on census reports etc. There's also a lot of "mixed" people. Irish/Italian people should be their own category. Irish/German as well, especially in places like the Midwest and Pennsylvania, New York etc. People with more recent ancestry, like Germans, Irish, Italians, Jews, Poles, are more likely to identify that way than Colonial Era descendants identifying as English.

They do at least get the largest self identified population group by county, though.

ukv4tc3enmt21.png

Here's another view of it:
740861375.jpg

Just on Italians:
8c035ceebb9d64e8b7c16c5d6f730f50.jpg

resized_large_Irish_ancestry_american_usa_United_States_Census.jpg

d01222d3a90762e1e4035dec892994e4.jpg

dMoRDvKDJEsqXm5sRYw7ezxzZmbAW12D4f0imWzYzJo.jpg

1411918121111-ALV3EBXP1UTA9I90BBRX

If you were to visit only the places where most Americans live, you might not see or appreciate some of this.
haf-of-us-population-county-map.png

1024px-2010_US_Census_Hispanic_Population_by_County.svg.png

Me, well, Rhode Island, but my father was from California and his father from Chicago, while my maternal grandfather is descended from such Rhode Island founding figures as Samuel Gorton and Anne Hutchinson. Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 9.04.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 9.05.16 PM.jpg

This thread has been viewed 8496 times.

Back