What is the difference between the SLC24A5 and SLC45A2 alleles?

Ack

Banned
Reaction score
What is the difference between the SLC24A5 and SLC45A2 alleles? I know that both are alleles of depigmentation and are distributed throughout Europe, but is one of them dominant over the other? If the same individual has both alleles, is any of them dominant or do they work together? Thank you.

What is the difference between the SLC24A5 and SLC45A2 alleles? I know that both are alleles of depigmentation and are distributed throughout Europe, but is one of them dominant over the other? If the same individual has both alleles, is any of them dominant or do they work together? Thank you.
They work together, and apparently the SLC24A5 is "stronger" than SLC45A2. At least the former has a higher magnitude in SNPedia.
SLC24A5: https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs1426654
SLC45A2: https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs16891982

My skin traits on yourDNAportal:

bH1vdf4.jpg

8lANj5n.jpg

According to Mathieson in his latest paper on pigmentation, SLC45A2 is not a major factor in pigmentation. That's the first such statement of which I'm aware.
See the link to the paper and discussion including charts at...
https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...iation-in-West-Eurasia?highlight=pigmentation
That possibly explains why its magnitude is low in SNPedia.
My wife is homozygous GG for SLC45A2, however, she's heterozygous for SLC24A5, curiously. She inherited one G allele from her Brazilian father (Portuguese + NA + traces of SSA). I know it because her mother is AA. It made her (beautiful) skin kind of golden, or light brown, even without sun exposure. I thought it'd be good if our son inherited this allele, je je, given the possibility he'll spend most part of his life in a tropical place. If he lives instead in a high latitude place, either he'd take more sun or supplement with D3. Unfortunately, he actually inherited the A from her.

Years ago, before you were active here certain posters found it highly unusual that I have these traits; they also seemed to feel I should consider it an honor. Such silliness. It's the most important physical trait I have which I would have changed if I could; I've spent my life hiding from the sun, especially when on vacation, i.e. Florida, the Caribbean, but even at home on the Mediterranean in the summer or here in the Hamptons. I'm either under an umbrella or an overhang, or wandering around looking like someone going to a Halloween Party as Scarlett O'Hara or as Isadora Duncan in her veils, and we know how that turned out. :)

Marker: rs1426654

SLC24A5rs142665448426484A or GA / A
SLC45A2rs1689198233951693C or GG / G
This is CTSG. "G" is the "European" variant.

rs3758833
A or G
G / G

This is the TYRP1 snp he targets.
intergenic
rs1325132
A or G
G / G

BNC2
rs2153271
C or T
T / T

rs4778123, the OCA2 variant he found important, doesn’t seem to be covered in my version of 23andme.

It must be how all of the alleles work in combination with each other which produce certain results. The small effect genes would come in as well, although not as important as these.

Years ago, before you were active here certain posters found it highly unusual that I have these traits; they also seemed to feel I should consider it an honor. Such silliness. It's the most important physical trait I have which I would have changed if I could; I've spent my life hiding from the sun, especially when on vacation, i.e. Florida, the Caribbean, but even at home on the Mediterranean in the summer or here in the Hamptons. I'm either under an umbrella or an overhang, or wandering around looking like someone going to a Halloween Party as Scarlett O'Hara or as Isadora Duncan in her veils, and we know how that turned out. :)

rs375883388071656A or GG / G

intergenicrs132513212525999A or GG / G

BNC2rs215327116864521C or TT / T

rs4778123, the OCA2 variant he found important, doesn’t seem to be covered in my version of 23andme.

It must be how all of the alleles work in combination with each other which produce certain results. The small effect genes would come in as well, although not as important as these.
Thanks. Very interesting. These SNPs should be included in SNPedia.
Yes, some other less important SNPs may play a role, such those that affect also hair, eyes...

SLC24A5 (rs1426654) - Mine AA; Father AA; Mother AA; Wife AG; Son AA; Mother-in-law AA.
SLC45A2 (rs16891982) - All GG.
rs3758833 - Mine AG; Father GG; Mother AG; Wife GG; Son GG; Mother-in-law GG.
rs1325132 - All GG.
rs2153271 - Mine CT; Father CC; Mother TT; Wife CT; Son ?; Mother-in-law TT.
rs4778123 - No results.

"
ED: Forgot the following (as per the Figure below)

SLC24A5 (rs2675345) - No results.
rs12203592 - Mine CC (common on affy axiom data); Father CT (Primarily in Europeans; likely presence of freckles, brown hair and high sensitivity of skin to sun exposure.); Mother CC; Wife CC; Son CC (inferred); Mother-in-law CC.
"

Chart.jpg

As for spending your life hiding from the sun, I perfectly know what you mean. And you live at latitude ~41. Now, imagine if you had to live in the tropics. ;) My father and siblings never cared at all about physical traits, but my mother always said she would like to have been blessed with a darker skin. :)

I don't think it's unusual because the variation seems to be fixed across Europe.

Gene fixado.jpg

Thanks. Very interesting. These SNPs should be included in SNPedia.
Yes, some other less important SNPs may play a role, such those that affect also hair, eyes...
SLC24A5 (rs1426654) - Mine AA; Father AA; Mother AA; Wife AG; Son AA; Mother-in-law AA.
SLC45A2 (rs16891982) - All GG.
rs3758833 - Mine AG; Father GG; Mother AG; Wife GG; Son GG; Mother-in-law GG.
rs1325132 - All GG.
rs2153271 - Mine CT; Father CC; Mother TT; Wife CT; Son ?; Mother-in-law TT.
rs4778123 - No results.
"
ED: Forgot the following (as per the Figure below)
SLC24A5 (rs2675345) - No results.
rs12203592 - Mine CC (common on affy axiom data); Father CT (Primarily in Europeans; likely presence of freckles, brown hair and high sensitivity of skin to sun exposure.); Mother CC; Wife CC; Son CC (inferred); Mother-in-law CC.
"
View attachment 12076
As for spending your life hiding from the sun, I perfectly know what you mean. And you live at latitude ~41. Now, imagine if you had to live in the tropics. ;) My father and siblings never cared at all about physical traits, but my mother always said she would like to have been blessed with a darker skin. :)

Este gráfico/imagem é de qual artigo?

I don't think it's unusual because the variation seems to be fixed across Europe.
View attachment 12077
Some results are virtually fixed, yes, such for example the one for SLC24A5 rs1426654, but as you know there're other SNPs that affect pigmentation, and certain results may vary even within Europe.

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs1426654

Este gráfico/imagem é de qual artigo?
Check it here:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2020/05/09/2020.05.08.085274/DC1/embed/media-1.pdf

My markers:

WRnfrcC.png

The other markers are "no call" for me.

Some results are virtually fixed, yes, such for example the one for SLC24A5 rs1426654, but as you know there're other SNPs that affect pigmentation, and certain results may vary even within Europe.
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs1426654
Check it here:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2020/05/09/2020.05.08.085274/DC1/embed/media-1.pdf

Thank you for the link. Yes, there is certainly variation in Europe, but it seems to be something complex. I just tried to say that the allele mentioned is extremely common across Europe.

View attachment 12077

I mentioned there was surprise that I, as an Italian, was completely derived for both SLC24A5 and SLC45A2.

Until the publication of this paper just recently every paper I ever saw on pigmentation considered SLC45A2 one of the major de-pigmentation snps in Europe, and although levels are high in Europe, it's by no means fixed.

As per the thread to which I linked...

G5tgxTz.png

0myOEIg.png

The following is 42A5, which everyone has considered important until now.

8mrm6x6.png

I don't think I could survive in the tropics.

As I've mentioned, my parents and then I had a condo in Florida, which is pretty tropical, for decades. I spent a week there in May one year, which is technically still spring, and lived to regret it. I was slathered in the strongest sun screen I could find, and wore a hat, but somehow just the reflected sunlight "burned" my eyes. The itching and watering were unbearable but when I went to the doctor thinking it was some new allergy he explained it and said I had to wear wrap around sunglasses when I went outdoors. Mine were too small and let in too much light.

In Mexico, at a hotel called Las Brisas, they provided you with little open sided jeeps with a cover. I thought for once I didn't need all that greasy cream. Well, the problem was I held onto the post for curves. That night my arm swelled up like a sausage. Doctors again.

The worst was in Cape May, New Jersey soon after I married. Like an idiot I wanted to get a little color on my face so I didn't put sun screen on it. I fell asleep for two hours or so on the beach with one cheek exposed. In the middle of the night, feeling an incredible tightness in my face I went to the bathroom and screamed and cried in absolute terror. My entire face was swollen like a monster's, eyes squeezed shut, and a brilliant red. The emergency room doctors had to give me shots of steroids and steroid cream and I spent the rest of the vacation in the darkened hotel room. After he treated me, the doctor proceeded to yell at me and tell me that if I didn't want to die young of melanoma I'd stay out of the sun.

So, my wish for one ancestral allele somewhere didn't stem from aesthetic considerations at all; I quite liked the color of my skin against my dark hair. :) It was a question of it being a burden in a lot of situations.

The tropics are also not for me, unless they spray the hell out of it, because I'm a magnet for mosquitoes, sand fleas, you name it. Like an idiot, again, I wanted a "green" vacation, no nasty chemical spraying, yada, yada, yada, so once we went for a week to Caneel Bay in the Virgin Islands. Big, big mistake. The room was right on the beach, so we were outside sipping a pina colada on our lounge chairs watching the sunset. In the middle of the night I felt this horrible itching all over my legs. I was covered in thousands and thousands of bites. This time it was a black doctor in St. Thomas who had to treat me, with shots of penicillin, because I had impetigo from sand fleas. Meanwhile, my husband had turned a lovely brown and didn't have a single bite. I could happily have punched him. :)

Have you read the journals of Livingston and Stanley or other men like them of their explorations of Africa? On day 18 we lost Fowler, etc. etc. Well, that would have been me. :)

Pigmentation and all sorts of other traits are an adaptation to the environment: climate, altitude, food etc. There's nothing holy or objectively superior or inferior about any of it.

I seem to be adapted for mountain life and northern latitudes. It's just the roll of the genetic dice.

I don't think I could survive in the tropics.

As I've mentioned, my parents and then I had a condo in Florida, which is pretty tropical, for decades. I spent a week there in May one year, which is technically still spring, and lived to regret it. I was slathered in the strongest sun screen I could find, and wore a hat, but somehow just the reflected sunlight "burned" my eyes. The itching and watering were unbearable but when I went to the doctor thinking it was some new allergy he explained it and said I had to wear wrap around sunglasses when I went outdoors. Mine were too small and let in too much light.

In Mexico, at a hotel called Las Brisas, they provided you with little open sided jeeps with a cover. I thought for once I didn't need all that greasy cream. Well, the problem was I held onto the post for curves. That night my arm swelled up like a sausage. Doctors again.

The worst was in Cape May, New Jersey soon after I married. Like an idiot I wanted to get a little color on my face so I didn't put sun screen on it. I fell asleep for two hours or so on the beach with one cheek exposed. In the middle of the night, feeling an incredible tightness in my face I went to the bathroom and screamed and cried in absolute terror. My entire face was swollen like a monster's, eyes squeezed shut, and a brilliant red. The emergency room doctors had to give me shots of steroids and steroid cream and I spent the rest of the vacation in the darkened hotel room. After he treated me, the doctor proceeded to yell at me and tell me that if I didn't want to die young of melanoma I'd stay out of the sun.

So, my wish for one ancestral allele somewhere didn't stem from aesthetic considerations at all; I quite liked the color of my skin against my dark hair. :) It was a question of it being a burden in a lot of situations.

The tropics are also not for me, unless they spray the hell out of it, because I'm a magnet for mosquitoes, sand fleas, you name it. Like an idiot, again, I wanted a "green" vacation, no nasty chemical spraying, yada, yada, yada, so once we went for a week to Caneel Bay in the Virgin Islands. Big, big mistake. The room was right on the beach, so we were outside sipping a pina colada on our lounge chairs watching the sunset. In the middle of the night I felt this horrible itching all over my legs. I was covered in thousands and thousands of bites. This time it was a black doctor in St. Thomas who had to treat me, with shots of penicillin, because I had impetigo from sand fleas. Meanwhile, my husband had turned a lovely brown and didn't have a single bite. I could happily have punched him. :)

Have you read the journals of Livingston and Stanley or other men like them of their explorations of Africa? On day 18 we lost Fowler, etc. etc. Well, that would have been me. :)

Pigmentation and all sorts of other traits are an adaptation to the environment: climate, altitude, food etc. There's nothing holy or objectively superior or inferior about any of it.

I seem to be adapted for mountain life and northern latitudes. It's just the roll of the genetic dice.

My wife and I love Rio de Janeiro. It is close to Belo Horizonte. From BH to the city of Rio de Janeiro it is 5 hours by car. In Belo Horizonte, I and my wife ​​have the same skin tone. In Rio de Janeiro I get black and she turns pink. I once called her a pink panther and she didn't like it very much, lol lol.

Thank you for the link. Yes, there is certainly variation in Europe, but it seems to be something complex. I just tried to say that the allele mentioned is extremely common across Europe.

it is also very common in the near east and also north africa. and if you look at the untanned skin complexion of people from there, their skin isn't much darker than the one of northern europeans. so 24A5 might really be one of the most if not the most important factor for depigmentation in westeurasia.
rs1426654.frqs_.jpg

I mentioned there was surprise that I, as an Italian, was completely derived for both SLC24A5 and SLC45A2.

Until the publication of this paper just recently every paper I ever saw on pigmentation considered SLC45A2 one of the major de-pigmentation snps in Europe, and although levels are high in Europe, it's by no means fixed.

As per the thread to which I linked...

G5tgxTz.png

0myOEIg.png

The following is 42A5, which everyone has considered important until now.

8mrm6x6.png

I understood, but I never thought it was surprising that an Italian had all the alleles for fair skin because I always associated the main alleles for fair skin with farmers. But I imagine that to others it may seem somewhat unusual.

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[/COLOR]

This thread has been viewed 18031 times.

Back