The Lee family of Virginia and Maryland belongs to haplogroup I1

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
The Lee family descended from Richard Lee I (1617–1664), who emigrated from Shropshire, England to Virginia, played an important role in American history. Based on the results from the
Lee Surname DNA Research Project, descendants of Richard Lee I and his wife Anne Constable (Subgroup 21) belong to haplogroup I1-L22>P109>S10891>Y13930>Y14227>Y14225 (aka FGC21765). The P109 branch of I1 is most common in Norway and Sweden and spread to the British Isles during the Viking Age.

Richard Lee I had become the largest landholder in Virginia, with 13,000 acres, and perhaps the richest man in Virginia. He was great-great-grandfather of President Zachary Taylor and great-great-great grandfather of Confederate General Robert E. Lee.

220px-Col._Richard_Lee_I.JPG

Richard Henry Lee (1732-1794) was Founding Father from Virginia best known for the June 1776 Lee Resolution, the motion in the Second Continental Congress calling for the colonies' independence from Great Britain leading to the United States Declaration of Independence, which he signed. He also served a one-year term as the President of the Continental Congress.

220px-Richard_Henry_Lee_at_Nat._Portrait_Gallery_IMG_4471.JPG

Major-General Henry Lee III (1756-1818) was a cavalry officer in the Continental Army earned him the nickname by which he is best known, "Light-Horse Harry.

200px-HenryLee.jpeg

The best known member of the Lee family is undoubtedly Robert E. Lee (1807-1870) who was commander of the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War.

220px-Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg

Thanks, this is really useful and interesting :)

This thread has been viewed 5322 times.

Back