Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kinship, acquired and inherited status, and population structure at the Early Bronze

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133

Ethnic group
    Portuguese-Brazilian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    Kinship, acquired and inherited status, and population structure at the Early Bronze Age Mokrin necropolis in northern Serbia.
    Aleksandra Zegarac, Laura Winkelbach, Jens Bloecher, Yoan Diekmann, Marija Kreckovic Gavrilovic, Marko Porcic, Biljana Stojkovic, Lidija Milasinovic, Mona Schreiber, Daniel Wegmann, Krishna R Veeramah, Sofija Stefanovic, Joachim Burger
    doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.05.18.101337
    This article is a preprint and has not been certified by peer review [what does this mean?].
    AbstractInfo/HistoryMetrics Preview PDF
    Abstract
    Twenty-four ancient genomes with an average sequencing coverage of 0.85 were produced from the Mokrin necropolis, an Early Bronze Age (2,100-1,800 BC) Maros culture site in Serbia, to provide unambiguous identification of biological sex, population structure, and genetic kinship between individuals. Of the 24 investigated individuals, 15 were involved in kinship relationships of varying degrees, including 3 parent-offspring relationships. All observed parent-offspring pairs were mother and son. In addition to the absence of biological daughters, we observed a number of young women and girls with no biological relatives in our sample. These observations, together with the high mitochondrial diversity in our sample, are consistent with the practice of female exogamy in the population served by Mokrin. However, moderate-to-high Y-chromosomal diversity suggests a degree of male mobility greater than that expected under strict patrilocality. Individual status differences at Mokrin, as indicated by grave goods, support the inference that females could inherit status, but could not transmit status to all their sons. The case of a son whose grave good richness outstrips that of his biological mother suggests that sons had the possibility to acquire status during their lifetimes. The Mokrin sample resembles a genetically unstructured population, suggesting that the social hierarchies of the community were not accompanied by strict marriage barriers.
    ( r1b , I2 , j2b , bt)
    mt haplogr. Y haplogr.
    122E XY 6-9 1.09 U5a2b1a I2a1b
    122S XX 35-50 0.78 H32 *
    161 XX 9-11 1.20 H80 *
    163 XY 45-55 1.21 U4a2 J2b
    181 XX >18 0.62 U4a2 *
    186 XX 8-11 0.33 H1aj *
    211 XY 50-55 0.79 U5a2b1a I2a1b
    220 XY 15-25 0.64 T2b11 R1b1a2a2c1
    223 XX 7-10 0.39 U3a1 *
    224 XX 25-40 0.77 T2b *
    225 XY 25-35 0.82 J1b1a1 R1b1a2a2c1
    228 XX 35-50 0.95 J1c *
    237 XX 15-20 0.89 T2b *
    243 XY 20-35 1.12 H BT
    246 XX 45-50 0.98 H80 *
    247 XX 10-12 0.90 H1 *
    257 A XX 40-60 0.60 H *
    257 B XY inf.I 0.61 K1a4 R1b1a2a2c1a1
    260 XY 15-18 0.92 J1c I2a2a1a2a2
    282 XY 15-20 1.41 H2b BT
    287 XX 20-35 0.81 U5b2a2c *
    288 XX 60+ 0.81 HV0e *
    295 XY 15-20 0.82 H80 I2a1a
    302 XX 20-35 0.89 J1c *
    Thank you KingJohn. It’s at least curious that MTA - MyTrueAncestry, give-me 13 matches from Mokrin among the 125 ancient matches displayed by them to me, with distances that vary from 10.95 to 15.04

16. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 10.95 - MOK10
    96 %
    match vs all users

23. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 11.43 - MOK29
    94 %
    match vs all users

25. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 11.45 - MOK27
    98 %
    match vs all users

42. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 12.28 - MOK20
    94 %
    match vs all users

58. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 12.99 - MOK26
    97 %
    match vs all users

75. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 13.53 - MOK15
    98 %
    match vs all users

79. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 13.6 - MOK25
    96 %
    match vs all users

85. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 13.95 - MOK21
    48 %
    match vs all users

97. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 14.49 - MOK18
    97 %
    match vs all users

105. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 14.99 - MOK17
    98 %
    match vs all users

108. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 15.04 - MOK14
    76 %
    match vs all users

109. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 15.04 - MOK13
    76 %
    match vs all users

110. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
    1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 15.04 - MOK33b
    76 %
    match vs all users

94 %

98 %

48 %

76 %

76 %

Does anybody know how much Steppe present-day Serbs score? The BA ones scored a similar level of Steppe admixture as modern Northern Italians

Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

Quote Originally Posted by real expert View Post
    Does anybody know how much Steppe present-day Serbs score? The BA ones scored a similar level of Steppe admixture as modern Northern Italians
    i assume modern serbs have a little bit higher steppe ( maybe because slavic invasion)
    but i might be wrong here ....

from the paper :

p.s
    by the way i will keep this papers coming as long as anthrogenica do so
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-FGC7391/

https://yfull.com/mtree/H3ap/

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/FT29003

2 members found this post helpful.
    This is hype!

Interesting that out of 8 Y samples. Only 3 were buried with weapons. And two of them are in their 50s.
    This could be due to some sort of meritocracy, long life more chance to gain material goods (most likely explanation), as the other Y-s are generally young and with not much grave goods except 122E who could be somehow related to the high status 211.

Edit: Another explanation could be there was not much militaristic need. We see quite a diverse non homogeneous population as far as DNA goes. Maybe life back then was not as bloody as one might think.
    “Man cannot live without a permanent trust in something indestructible in himself, and at the same time that indestructible something as well as his trust in it may remain permanently concealed from him.”

Franz Kafka

Ethnic group
    Italian

The Iron Gates HGs still formed a significant percentage of their ancestry.

Interesting that I2a1 was already there; came to the area way before the Slavs, apparently, yes?

More steppe than in Bronze Age Italy and certainly than in Bronze Age Greece. Easier access I suppose.

Certainly no R1a yet, so perhaps only arrived with Slavs.

That also means Corded Ware probably didn't go south, so not responsible for Indo-Europeanization in Greece either. So much for some of the "analyses". Indo-Europeanization was from R1b people perhaps, although there's not very much in modern Greece.

I too would be interested to see the break down for modern Serbs.

They're probably somewhere in between Croatians and Bulgarians I would guess, maybe leaning more toward Croatians?

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/FT29003

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    The Iron Gates HGs still formed a significant percentage of their ancestry.

Interesting that I2a1 was already there; came to the area way before the Slavs, apparently, yes?

More steppe than in Bronze Age Italy and certainly than in Bronze Age Greece. Easier access I suppose.

Certainly no R1a yet, so perhaps only arrived with Slavs.

That also means Corded Ware probably didn't go south, so not responsible for Indo-Europeanization in Greece either. So much for some of the "analyses". Indo-Europeanization was from R1b people perhaps, although there's not very much in modern Greece.

I too would be interested to see the break down for modern Serbs.

They're probably somewhere in between Croatians and Bulgarians I would guess, maybe leaning more toward Croatians?
    Similar to my thoughts so far. The presence of J2B2 along with the R1B makes me also think that L283 might have been incorporated somewhere out of Europe during the IE expansions, and came to Europe already as Indo Europeans, or possibly there was an older proto IE connection of the two.

The thing that surprises me the most is the BT haplogroup. :O Isn't that an upstream clade of the out of Africa expansion. What could this mean?

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Archetype0ne View Post
    Similar to my thoughts so far. The presence of J2B2 along with the R1B makes me also think that L283 might have been incorporated somewhere out of Europe during the IE expansions, and came to Europe already as Indo Europeans, or possibly there was an older proto IE connection of the two.

The thing that surprises me the most is the BT haplogroup. :O Isn't that an upstream clade of the out of Africa expansion. What could this mean?

Or it was incorporated somewhere like Cucuteni or Globular Amphora or near modern day Moldova. We'll have to wait and see.

Yes, that's an odd y Dna to show up, but the odd European will show up with "C" too. There are some rare cases of survival from the Paleolithic.

It happens with mtDna as well. I'm U2e2. We're almost all gone, but occasionally a modern person will show up with it.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/FT29003

Or it was incorporated somewhere like Cucuteni or Globular Amphora or near modern day Moldova. We'll have to wait and see.

Yes, that's an odd y Dna to show up, but the odd European will show up with "C" too. There are some rare cases of survival from the Paleolithic.

It happens with mtDna as well. I'm U2e2. We're almost all gone, but occasionally a modern person will show up with it.
    Yes. Moldova makes sense too. Depends on the exact branch and the exact time period if some rumors are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Comments from Davidski over at Eurogenes seem to indicate there is another ancient L283 (Eneolithic) in the pipeline from the Romania/Moldova border. Very interesting if true.

https://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2020/...-19-world.html

What you just wrote is like when there would be 10000 years old ancient R1 found in Western Europe, it would be a reason to assume presence of R1b in Western Europe since 10000 years ago.

So superficial...

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13

Y-DNA BT is rare or non-existent even on Africa.

On higher re solution they might be either Y-DNA C1a2 or E-V13, as usually they refuse or turn a blind-eye when it comes to E-M78, like they refused to correct Ramsess III Y-DNA mistake and assign it to E-M78.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Y-DNA BT is rare or non-existent even on Africa.

On higher re solution they might be either Y-DNA C1a2 or E-V13, as usually they refuse or turn a blind-eye when it comes to E-M78, like they refused to correct Ramsess III Y-DNA mistake and assign it to E-M78.
    It is annoying that in the year 2021 they can't anlayse those 2 farther than BT
    E-v13 is a logical option ...

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13

3 members found this post helpful.
    It is annoying that in the year 2021 they can't anlayse those 2 farther than BT
    E-v13 is a logical option ...
    Technically if they are low-re solution J, G, H, P, I are as equal option as E-V13 because all of these are under BT. There is zero chance those two samples are actual BT.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

Technically if they are low-re solution J, G, H, P, I are as equal option as E-V13 because all of these are under BT. There is zero chance those two samples are actual BT.
    maybe some expert will be able to read something more derived
    when he will read the bam file of those 2

It was really strange that they found no E but instead BT.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13

It was really strange that they found no E but instead BT.
    BT is just low-r****ution, they couldn't go down the tree because of poor DNA sample?

I highly doubt any individual bearing Y-DNA BT which is hypothetical ancestor of Y-DNA E,D, C, F will live in Europe.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

j2b dude MOK15 was uploaded to yfull
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Z615/

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/FT29003

j2b dude MOK15 was uploaded to yfull
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Z615/
    Indeed, a couple of months ago all the European ancient samples were uploaded to the J2B tree.

One of them is really peculiar, look at basal L283, they put ORC007 (Nuragic sample) under that branch. However, because its low coverage and potentially positive for some downstream SNPs it does not belong there. Some L283 admins contacted YFull to see why that is a case and asked for the justification, so far it seems like a mistake. But who knows.

Davidski leaked this:
    But it'll also be shown with new samples from Classical Greece, some of which actually cluster with Cypriots and Anatolians.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/FT29003

Davidski leaked this:
    The context?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    rare E-FGC7391
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

Davidski leaked this:

yes
    i now saw that would be cool

A said...Is this the Greek paper you mentioned a while ago, or is there another one coming out?
    May 14, 2021 at 4:19 AM

Davidski said...There's at least one more paper coming soon about Greece or the Balkans and Greece, with samples from the Iron Age, Classical period, Middle Ages, etc.

Davidski said...Greeks do have Cypriot-like ancestry, it's just that it's not necessarily from Cyprus.

This is obvious by looking at modern Greek DNA vs Mycenaean DNA.

But it'll also be shown with new samples from Classical Greece, some of which actually cluster with Cypriots and Anatolians.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/FT29003

yes
    i now saw that would be cool

A said...Is this the Greek paper you mentioned a while ago, or is there another one coming out?
    May 14, 2021 at 4:19 AM

Davidski said...There's at least one more paper coming soon about Greece or the Balkans and Greece, with samples from the Iron Age, Classical period, Middle Ages, etc.

Davidski said...Greeks do have Cypriot-like ancestry, it's just that it's not necessarily from Cyprus.

Can't wait. Hope it does not take more than 1-2 years, like the other leaked papers.

Ethnic group
    Italian

4 members found this post helpful.
    Davidski leaked this: But it'll also be shown with new samples from Classical Greece, some of which actually cluster with Cypriots and Anatolians.

It would be for the umpteenth time the discovery of hot water. It is obvious that a civilization such as the Greek one, which was able to expand and cover a territory that went from Anatolia to North Africa and the Spanish and French coasts, was genetically a non-homogenous population.

The typical error of these amateur bloggers passionate about genetics, who some users, with great naivety, consider professionals, is that they lack the most basic historical and archaeological knowledge. Even geneticists have often insufficient historical, archaeological, linguistic and anthropological knowledge, let alone amateur bloggers.

Davidski is saying this because of the presumed Slavic migration story in Greece. He is angry at geneticists who don't give a damn about this story, as if the whole world should revolve around the Slavs.

When people stop being interested in ancient history only because of personal issues concerning their own identity, it will always be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax Augusta View Post
    It would be for the umpteenth time the discovery of hot water. It is obvious that a civilization such as the Greek one, which was able to expand and cover a territory that went from Anatolia to North Africa and the Spanish and French coasts, was genetically a non-homogenous population.

The typical error of these amateur bloggers passionate about genetics, who some users, with great naivety, consider professionals, is that they lack the most basic historical and archaeological knowledge. Even geneticists have often insufficient historical, archaeological, linguistic and anthropological knowledge, let alone amateur bloggers.

Davidski is saying this because of the presumed Slavic migration story in Greece. He is angry at geneticists who don't give a damn about this story, as if the whole world should revolve around the Slavs.

When people stop being interested in ancient history only because of personal issues concerning their own identity, it will always be too late.

Since I'm neither Greek nor Slavic, I don't have a dog in a fight. However, I'm very much interested in Ancient Greeks and Romans since they've shaped the European heritage and had an impressive history. Hence, I look forward to samples from Classical Greece and I'm curious to find out whom they are closest to.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

3 members found this post helpful.
    Code:
    MOK9B,0,0,0.03,0,34.91,41.38,0.62,2.15,1.33,0.59,18.99,0
    MOK10B,2.9,0,0,0.12,37.97,30.7,0.07,0,11.34,0.29,15.86,0.75
    MOK12,0,0.78,3.05,0,39.46,34.27,0,0.04,2.67,0,19.64,0.09
    MOK13,1.81,0,0.45,0,39.16,29.14,0.85,0.01,5.53,0,22.58,0.47