Animation of the great city of Ur

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
It was done by the University of Melbourne. I wish it were longer.

Perhaps because Ur was so ancient, I didn't quite imagine it as being either this large or this sophisticated.

afaik little of these cities was excavated, because they lie under thick layers of sediment
but there are scans which show monumental buildings
I guess for the walls and the towers, they more or less copied Babylon

Sumerian history is fascinating. I was wondering if in future it would be possible to reconstruct some of the ancient cities in VR so we can actually explore it.

Sumerian history is fascinating. I was wondering if in future it would be possible to reconstruct some of the ancient cities in VR so we can actually explore it.

I agree. I'd like to see Harappa, Alexandria and Persepolis.

Ancient Vine does a decent one about Alexandria. It must have been a fabulous place.

Wow I'm really surprised by this animated reconstruction of Ur. I would've never imagined it was that big and sophisticated. I would also like to know what the timeframe in the history of that city is that they are basing themselves on to make this reconstruction. I never thought the early times when Ur was basically synonymous with city and civilized life were already that grandiose. If that is indeed how Ur was like, it must've been totally breathtaking to visitors coming from other much smaller cities and villages.

I'm more amazed by that video of Alexandria. It looks better than modern cities in many places.

I'm more amazed by that video of Alexandria. It looks better than modern cities in many places.

In these kinds of videos I was tone it down a bit in my imagination, because the authors in my opinion tend to make it a lot more fancy and sensational than it probably was for the sake of fantasy and enthusiasm. I really doubt, for instance, that the large majority of a city like Rome or Babylon was nearly as clean and tidy as it appears in these artistic reconstructions. Not even the wealthiest 19th and early 20th century cities were like that.

Fabulous even if only half as lovely.

Fabulous even if only half as lovely.

Persian gardens (which I imagine where inspired by the Hangin gardens) can be pretty beautiful too.

Persian-garden-of-Dowlat-abad.jpg

Persian-Gardens-4.jpg

This thread has been viewed 6424 times.

Back