Pre-roman mtdna umbria

you are correct (y)

from the pdf :

Archaeological and historical data suggest that during the Early Iron Age (ninth/eighth centuries BCE, BeforeCommon Era), Umbrians were among the frst communities with strong and well-defned cultural identities in Central Italy, together with Etruscans (to the west), Picentes (to the east) and Samnites (to the south). They originally occupied the eastern part of the today’s Umbria region, placed on the left bank of the Tiber River,soon extending their territories in western Umbria and Tuscany. Around the sixth century BCE, the Etruscans,who had already begun to infuence the Umbrian culture, took control over the western territories and the Tiber became the natural border between Umbrians and Etruscans 39. The degree of interaction between these ancient populations is still unclear.

what is important are the mtdna from ancient
from the 19 Iron Age Umbri Plestini, who were buried in Plestinam Paludem
angela mtdna u2
(y)you are descendents from italic tribes :)

Well, in terms of uniparentals it would indeed seem so. Maternally, my mtDna is U2e2a, and my father carried R1b U-152, so it's a double hit. :)

I carry the mtDna U2e2a which they found in the ancient sample, with one additional mutation. My closet match is in Switzerland. Looking at the graphic where they show the ancient and modern samples, I wonder if it could be Urnfield? I'm thinking of those samples down along the eastern Spanish coast and southern France too.

Yes, most likely Urnfield.

Ancient and Modern mtDNA
... those in black/gray are Ancient:

95PsEbw.png

my mtDNA is among Modern Umbria:

AwNc7hw.jpg

I noticed that are also present my mtdna (H15) and my father’s one (U4c1)

Last edited:
Hi all. Italian here, new to the forum. One of my paternal great-grandparents was from Umbria, actually my Y-DNA comes from there, so as much as I appreciate this article I'm a bit disappointed it didn't delve deeper into autosomal DNA.

Do you know if there are any new papers coming out in the next months concerning Italian ancient DNA samples?

Not that i know of 🤔
But i do promise to post them
If there would be anything 😉

Pardon my ignorance, but why is there nothing about the ydna of the samples?

This thread has been viewed 14913 times.

Back