Genetic and Cultural Differences between Jews and Greeks

... and this is only exasperated when the unnatural act of mass migration takes place, along with the migrating peoples being so ethno-culturally alien to the peoples of the lands they migrated to.
stop with this ethno-cultural nonsense. when is someone "ethno-culturally" alien. does this depend on ethnicity or culture? i guess you will answer it depends on both without giving me any REAL NUMBERS OR FACTS. are you just going by your own feelings?
Take a trip to Malmö, Paris or London sometime. Are you actually going to argue that the non-native “Britons,” “Swedish,” or “French” praying to Allah in the middle of the street blocking off traffic, are just as culturally English, Swedish, and French as the indigenous natives?
no i wont and i never did. you just take these extreme cases to make your points.
Answer me this, do you believe French, English, and German people exist? Are they not genetically and culturally distinct from the rest of the world?
as i already said i'm not saying there are no ethnicities. but the borders of those ethnicities are made by politics geography and culture and not by genetics.
It may make you uncomfortable but the fact of the matter is ancestry, race and ethnicity are important to people across the globe. That is what makes someone Chinese or English, a common and shared history/heritage. That is why a Hungarian has more in common with an Englishman than he ever would with a Persian, Turk, Iraqi or a Moroccan. A common Christian and European history stemming from shared ancestry and culture.
shared ancestry or shared culture one or the other, stop mixing everything together. because there are lots of people in near east who europeans share ancestry with but you won't consider them europeans.
This is how nations and peoples survive. If “Europeaness” doesn’t exist what does exactly? Does being Mexican, Chinese, or Middle Eastern exist? Or does this only apply to evil Europeans?
it's a geographical description. if you think it is genetic then explain what is for example middle easterness? can you explain to me why should for example georgians be middle eastern genetically if middle eastern isn't just a geographic category?
You didn’t answer my question by the way, if I move to China and raise my kids in China, does that make me Han Chinese? I will tell you this, I would never be considered Chinese by the actual natives that live there, and rightfully.
culturally yes you could be chinese. if you mean that you can never be chinese because of your ethnicity, why should for example a fin or his or her children ever be able to be real italian even if they were half italian? both times it wouldn't be possible. then what sense does it make to genetically define europeanness of the fins or the italians?
Side note, the reason I mentioned other Italics, Celts, Greeks, Illyrians, and Etruscans, in relation to the Latins (the founders of Rome), is simply because these are the closest neighbors and influences to the Latins.
and yet in imperial rome most migrants did not come from the north but from the east.
They are also all similar genetically, granted they all have a varying Steppe/Beaker component.

@Jovalis happy to see you brought in J2, this is where I am the most informed, just letting you know that the two J2a samples found aren't really common today, but at least one of them seems to survive today and it is possible that it is common in Central Italy today (as we know the region is severely undertested), and to your point sure some of the Iran Neo came in during Neolithic but was already diluted by the time of the Chalcolithic, there was a Iran Neo like movement in the Early Bronze Age in Crete and the Aegean islands (Minoan and Cycladic Cultures). One of the outliers is half North African, and the one who is Anatolian like was likely from Anatolia, no reason not assume that Greeks and Anatolians could have not been there.

The premise is easy, all of Italy shares a Neolithic/Bronze Age base, then you have the Greeks mixing with the natives forming Southern Italians and the Italics mixing natives forming Central and Northern Italians, of course there is a cline and Roman Italy was more fluid as people from all over the Peninsula moved up and down, now with those foundations set you have the immigrants who came and further played a role in the gene pool such as more Greeks, Anatolians, peoples from the Balkans, Levantines, and Celts.

That is incorrect, we know where he is from, he was a member of the Latin Tribe Ardea. Moreover, if there is already ABA/Anatolian_ChL-like people since the Bronze-Age in Sicily, as why is it absurd to think that this person is not similar to pre-Italic natives, especially further south? Moreover, there are in fact Italic tribes that had influence genetically in the south; the various Osco-Umbrian speakers. Steppe-like ancestry never a major component in Italy.

There may have been some dilution of the Iran-like neo by the copper age due to the WHG resurgence, but we don't know if that resurgence happened everywhere in Italy. The Iron age samples have as much Iran_N as they do Steppe.

Also, what ever contribution these immigrants had, it must have been infinitesimal/fractions of a percent. Italy was not transformed by Imperial era immigration, as is evident by later eras.

J1 is not the only Middle Eastern Y line, J2 is as well, E non V13, etc... Who ever said Native Italians were Northern Italian like? The Italic speakers were Northern Italian like, Southern Italy if BA Sicily is representative was Sardinian like with a bit of an Eastern pull, quite a distance from modern Sicilians, I’m pretty sure the LBA Sicilian is proto Sicani, also the Y chromosome of the BA Sicilians G-Z1903 is still very common in Southern Italy today. No one bats an eye when people suggest Southern Italy is Native plus Italic but saying we are primarily Greek+Native is considered heresy? Common man, I think we can argue how much Levantine actually made into our genome fine could be discussed.

Do you have any evidence that Lucanians and Messapians and other mainland Southern Italian tribes were Sardinian shifted like the Early Bronze Age Sicilians?
The number of Greek cities was much greater in Sicily and Calabria than it was in Apulia, Basilicata and Campania not to mention the Syracuse was way more populous than any other city in Magna Greacia.

That is incorrect, we know where he is from, he was a member of the Latin Tribe Ardea. Moreover, if there is already ABA/Anatolian_ChL-like people since the Bronze-Age in Sicily, as why is it absurd to think that this person is not similar to pre-Italic natives? Moreover, there are in fact Italic tribes that had influence genetically in the south; the various Osco-Umbrian speakers. Steppe-like ancestry never a major component in Italy.

Also, what ever contribution these immigrants had, it must have been infinitesimal/fractions of a percent. Italy was not transformed by Imperial era immigration, as is evident by later eras.

Yet the other Latin Ardea member is virtually identical to the other Italic samples, hmmm and also close to Proto-Villanovans, I wonder why? (I’m being sarcastic).

The Greeks played a larger role in Southern Italy than the Italic tribes and its not even close genetically. Bronze Age Sicily was mostly Sardinian like, and yes ABA ancestry is attributable to Castelluccio culture something that I have been saying for years.

Do you have any evidence that Lucanians and Messapians and other mainland Southern Italian tribes were Sardinian shifted like the Early Bronze Age Sicilians?
The number of Greek cities was much greater in Sicily and Calabria than it was in Apulia, Basilicata and Campania not to mention the Syracuse was way more populous than any other city in Magna Greacia.

Southern and Ionian coast Lucania was heavily settled by Greeks, Metaponto, Siris, Heraclea, Pandosia, etc.. in my grandparents village there was numerous Greek pottery found, and its an inland village although not to far from coast.

At the moment no, but we will be getting more ancient Italian samples soon.

Yet the other Latin Ardea member is virtually identical to the other Italic samples, hmmm and also close to Proto-Villanovans, I wonder why? (I’m being sarcastic).

The Greeks played a larger role in Southern Italy than the Italic tribes and its not even close genetically. Bronze Age Sicily was mostly Sardinian like, and yes ABA ancestry is attributable to Castelluccio culture something that I have been saying for years.

Wrong again! the Proto-villanoan lacks the WHG levels as the other Iron Age samples, besides R437 and R850. There are only 4 "Latin" samples, two being southern Italian-like, two being intermediate between Iberia and Northern Italy. The other samples are Etruscan, and one has a dubious cultural background.

Furthermore, some of those Imperial samples don't look too different from R437, in terms of admixture, and position on the PCA. Funny how they continue on into the later eras, including this present one!

v0hnph0.png

Wrong again! the Proto-villanoan lacks the WHG levels as the other Iron Age samples, besides R437 and R850. There are only 4 "Latin" samples, two being southern Italian-like, two being intermediate between Iberia and Northern Italy. The other samples are Etruscan, and one has a dubious cultural background.

They still cluster close regardless of less WHG, and again Proto Villanovans is an ancestral component to later populations, who mixed with natives, lol that proves my point even further, the native population had higher WHG.

They still cluster close regardless of less WHG, and again Proto Villanovans is an ancestral component to later populations, who mixed with natives, lol that proves my point even further, the native population had higher WHG.

What a naive point to make. You think it makes any difference where they cluster, when their admixture rates are different? Btw, they DON'T cluster with each other, because clearly R1 is in a different position compared to the others.

p1osPeB.png

Clearly they do not cluster together, considering that R1 is more eastern shifted, near modern Veneto. While the others exist in a no-mans land, south east of Iberian and north west of Northern Italy.

Admixture rates matter, R475 is different from Neolithic central Italians, admixture-wise, despite being close to them on a PCA.

What a naive point to make. You think it makes any difference where they cluster, when their admixture rates are different? Btw, they DON'T cluster with each other, because clearly R1 is in a different position compared to the others.

You know what your right, the modern Italian cline has existed since the Jurassic period. Humanity was born in Italy. Phoenicians were Italians, Ancient Greeks were Italians, Turkic tribes were Italians, Illyrians were Italians, Indus Valley Culture too, you should talk with Gioiello Tognoni you’d get along.

Southern and Ionian coast Lucania was heavily settled by Greeks, Metaponto, Siris, Heraclea, Pandosia, etc.. in my grandparents village there was numerous Greek pottery found, and its an inland village although not to far from coast.

At the moment no, but we will be getting more ancient Italian samples soon.
Campania, Apulia and Basilicata have significantly more known native settlements than Greek settlements.
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Grecia#Basilicata
Lucania has 6 Greek cities, one of which was heavily mixed with natives (hellenized).
While Apulia had 4 Greek cities which were heavily mixed with natives and two others originally founded by the ancient Greeks.

I believe the Magna Greacia impact goes this way:
Calabria>Sicily>Campania>Lucania>Apulia

You know what your right, the modern Italian cline has existed since the Jurassic period. Humanity was born in Italy. Phoenicians were Italians, Ancient Greeks were Italians, Turkic tribes were Italians, Illyrians were Italians, Indus Valley Culture too, you should talk with Gioiello Tognoni you’d get along.

Comedy may be a better hobby for you to take up, if that is how you want to reply.

Campania, Apulia and Basilicata have significantly more known native settlements than Greek settlements.
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Grecia#Basilicata
Lucania has 6 Greek cities, one of which was heavily mixed with natives (hellenized).
While Apulia had 4 Greek cities which were heavily mixed with natives and two others originally founded by the ancient Greeks.

I believe the Magna Greacia impact goes this way:
Calabria>Sicily>Campania>Lucania>Apulia

Fair points, the native Oenotrians are one group that I am actually really looking forward to see being tested, I guarenteed have ancestry from them, I personally think they will be Ancient Aegean shifted but less than the Greeks. I agree with your impact list, I would just switch Basilicata with Campania, the province of Cosenza is near by and Thurii and Sybaris would have been influential to the Southern portion of Lucania as well.

ZLjfRzU.png

zdSea2i.png

YsmztXO.png

According to Fernandes 2020 et all, a paper often purported to be a "proof" to your thesis, show a 12-13% Iran_neolithic in samples from west Sicily, thus it's also very possible that there were more in east Sicily, and the fact that it has been found up to Latium shows that this gene flow hit a good chunk of Italy, also Sicily calcolithic seem ( in the PCA) already very "minoan-like" ( are thre admixture estimations for those samples?), thus it is also possible that it was the more "sardinian" like gene flow in the early bronze age from Spain that made the samples found more sardinian-like, and there could also have been a resurgence of local populations, or maybe there was a migration from west anatolia or south east Europe that made MBA Sicilians more greek-like compared to EBA ones, but I do not see how you can draw the inference that the substratum population during the late bronze age ( at least during the first migration of Italic speakers that settled all the way down to Sicily) in south Italy was "sardinian" like, when papers like the one about Rome and Kilinc 2016 suggest that there was a consistent caucasus/iran_neolithic gene flow well before that era, and also I do not see how the Greeks in the colonies in magna grecia could be the major contribuitors to south Italian gene pool, given that "south Italy" is much more extended than the are of magna grecia, and I do not see how south Italian could be "greek+natives" when the first colonization began in the 8th century, 4 hundreds year after the migrations of the first Italic speakers, and it is also likely that some very diffuse in all Europe steppe admixture started in the early bronze age ( as Fernandes found in west Sicily, or whatever happened my point is that it's very unlikely that there were still largely EEFs populations, except for Sardinia, in Italy when the Greeks colonised the south), and I do not see how a "greek south" and an "italic-north" could have created the Italian cline, given that we have no records of large internal migration from south to north or north to south ( after the iron age).
Also, while there were Greek input in the Italian gene pool, it doesn't seem so massive, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4757772/ (also note what they say about the phoenicians: even if they are wrong imo in taking as "phoenicians" modern levantines, because I think it's more likely that the Phoenicians Italians had contact with where from north Africa, it is relevant for our discussion)

tileshop.fcgi
tileshop.fcgi

Fair points, the native Oenotrians are one group that I am actually really looking forward to see being tested, I guarenteed have ancestry from them, I personally think they will be Ancient Aegean shifted but less than the Greeks. I agree with your impact list, I would just switch Basilicata with Campania, the province of Cosenza is near by and Thurii and Sybaris would have been influential to the Southern portion of Lucania as well.

Ancient Greek cities in Campania were more advanced than in Basilicata, and more numerous too thus I choosed it over Basilicata.
Veduta_di_Paestum_2010.jpg

But you're right Basilicata has less Germanic Y-DNA as well is closer to Calabria and Sicily, so that should be considered.

ihype2: Those Greek cities come during the 1st millennium BC to be historically accurate, correct, although I still agree with your basic hypothesis, the pre EBA Sicilians were Neolithic_EEF predominate in ancestry, with some residual WHG+some other sources like Iran_Neolithic/CHG. I keep waiting for the VandeLoosdrecht et al 2020 paper with some new 18 ancient Sicilian samples from Mesolithic to Neolithic to come out. As I noted in another thread a while back, it is available as a pre-print.

The Early Bronze Age Sicilians, at least those samples, from circa 2200 BC were shifted towards Sardinia, more Western Shifted because all of those Bronze Age Sicilians with Steppe Ancestry in the Fernandes et al 2020 paper came from Iberia if I remember correct. But based on those samples, to conclude Sicily was totally Shifted that way to me is premature, and in fact, not sure if it is true. The Sicilian_Bell Beaker I4930 was clearly not shifted West, I think more EEF_Neolithic shifted with no Steppe. There are 2 other Sicilian_Bell Beakers, one of them (I_4936) still has a GEDMATCH Kit number (Kit #Z747726), or did last time I checked. I am not sure why Sicilian_Beaker_I4936 is not in the Source data for all the various calculators at vahaduo. Olade et al 2019 in their Beaker study indicates a 3rd Beaker from Sicily (Sicilian_Beaker_I4933) but there is no kit on GEDMATCH.

Just my own running I4936 coordinates from Dodecad, MDLP16, EurogenesK13/15, it is actually closer to the Northern_Italian beakers than it is to I4930, so even the Bell Beaker period in Sicily could already have some pre-Italic ancestry from Italian mainland North of Rome, perhaps proto-Elymians from Ligure? I can't get any distance fits < 20 from Euro K13/15 for I4936, but ,using MDLP16, for I4936 closest distance is Greek_Islands of 16.7 and Central Sicily of 18, East_Sicily is 19, West_Sicily 20. I4930 is 11 from Sardinia, nothing else < 20. On the other hand, Dodecad 12B singe distances for I4936 of if 13 to 15 for moderns (Corsica is one of them, and Andalucia) has I4936 towards Corsica and Iberia, but also all the Northern Italian regions come under 20, which is consistent with I4936 being closer to the 3 Northern Italian Beakers, than to I4930. So just me playing around with these calculators, I4936 is hard to get a handle on.

Anyway, from the Olade et al 2019 study, and I quote

"We find that in areas outside of Iberia, with the exception of Sicily, a large majority of the Beakercomplex- associated individuals that we sampled derive a considerable portion of their ancestry from steppe populations (Fig. 2a). By contrast, in Iberia such ancestry is present in only 8 of the 32 individuals that we analysed; these individuals represent the earliest detection of steppe related
genomic affinities in this region."

The Beaker period, as cited by Olade et al 2019 in the abstract was 2,700-2,500 BC and the Beaker culture disappeared between 2,200-1800BC. But that doesn't mean the Beakers genetics went totally away does it? Need more Bronze Age Samples from Sicily before the arrival of the EBA samples with Steppe that Fernandes et al 2019 documented. So the timeline of some Steppe in Iberia getting there no later than 2,500 is line with Steppe Ancestry reaching Sicily by around 2,200 per Fernandes et al 2020 and it coming from Iberia.

Anyone can estimate the coordinates for Sicilian_Beaker I4936 using the Kit-number above. Maybe someone who is good with G25 has compared the Sicilian_Beaker I4930 and I4936, but I always thought they plotted towards Greece and the Balkans, more Neolithic_EEF. So I would think the Beakers in Sicily, while they adopted the Beaker Culture, would still be heavily Neolithic_EFF predominate in terms of Source ancestry. Could be wrong? I just don't see how Sicily could have ever been shifted way West, and I say that as someone who NAT GENO indicates has 14% West Med source ancestry, which they define as being indicative in modern Sardinia, Corsica, and parts of mainland Italy, Southern France, Iberia, etc. I just think Fernandes et al 2020 documented Steppe ancestry coming into Sicily that admixed with the peoples already there, who were Neolithic_EEF predominantly in their ancestry.

And for the record, nothing here is meant to be a dogmatic statement, I was close to loosing my cool the other day in this thread so purely personal conjectures, but ones made with relevant research in mind.

I'm sorry, but I think Azzurro has flipped his lid. When we have samples from the appropriate places and time periods in Southern Italy we'll know what the pre-Greek "natives were like, what the Greek settlers were like, and what any admixed people were like.

Perhaps, indeed, the pre-Greek settlement period "locals" and the Greek migrants weren't all that different

The only way to know is to have the samples in front of us.

All this insistence from Azzurro that he absolutely KNOWS the true picture is just hysteria. He may turn out to be right, but if he does it won't be because of great reasoning ability; it will be sheer luck.

He presents not like a scientist or researcher but like some cult member.

It's ridiculous.

He sounded the same, btw when he was equally sure that there was a migration from Anatolia to Tuscany in the early first millennium BC giving rise to the Etruscans.

That one was certainly a miss.

How can someone expect to be taken seriously when he doesn't know that sample was a member of the Ardea tribe, doesn't know where most Greek settlement was located in southern Italy, and can't understand that one can't assume that everyone buried in the world's capital was "necessarily" a local.

Honestly, if this nonsense doesn't stop and some rational discussion doesn't ensue, action will be taken.

You can take any position you like here, propose any theory, but you have to have DATA to back up what you have to present as a possibility, not a certainty.

Very interesting, Ygor. Shared ancestry may be an issue, and the complexity of the models can be well observed for example in parts of the text regarding Mycenaeans, such in pages 35, 36, 40 and 41. It's a good reading.
The table you posted also evidence it. We see an even higher p-value for the mixture involving Levant BA, which would not necessarily imply an actual contribution for SW Anatolia EBA.
So, not sure how to conciliate the models you posted. The one involving Natufians gets a higher p-value (than the Levant Neo one), so it's a good start. Either the actual Levant Neo is higher than 4%, as you said, or there is another source of Natufian ancestry, or both, and the latter will determine how much higher the former really was. Anatolia Tepecik Ciftlik + Boncuklu is modeled in the same paper as having some Natufian ancestry, 24.6% - too low p-value though -, or 9.4% Levant Neo(-like) - better p-value. Also Feldman et al. found this Early Holocene Levantine input already in ACF period, if my memory serves. So, this model would show us that the % we see for Anatolia Tepecik supposedly include already some Levant Neo-like ancestry (~10%). If we go back to table S2.9, which models SW Anatolia BA as 6% Levant Neo (with a decent p-value), we'd have something like 6% Levant Neo plus ~6% of Levant Neo-like (10% of 62%), resulting in ~12%, "if" Anatolia_N, specifically here, corresponds to this "Anatolia Tepecik" (they could have been more clear about sources). Of course, some variations would be expected. I don't know exactly how much Natufian the Levant Neo had. But if it's, say, ~60%, it'd mean something about ~7% of Natufian for SW Anatolia BA, at least in this approach.
However, they used Anatolia ChL in the model you posted, not Neo, and Barcin_C and Barcin_N seem to be similar when it comes to Natufian contribution. So, if this Anatolia_ChL already included the "Natufian" from Neolithic, the remaining Natufian would be mostly from Levant Neo, in theory, possibly meaning a higher actual Levant Neo input. However, this Anatolia_ChL seems to be Barcin_C, then it would descend from another Anatolian Neo source such Barcin_N, rather than Tepecik. From the paper:
"Bronze Age Anatolians do not form a clade (N=1) with any population of the All+ set (p-value for rank=0 < 1e-17), except with a Chalcolithic northwestern Anatolian13 (p=0.072)."

This is also interesting:
"We were intrigued by the fact that the central Anatolian Neolithic population from Tepecik-Çiftlik19appears at the edge of the cluster of ancient Anatolian/European farmers in the PCA (Fig. 1b), and also appears to possess some of the “pink” component maximized in Neolithic Iran and hunter-gatherers from the Caucasus and Iran (Extended Data Fig. 1) that is shared with Bronze Age populations from the Aegean and southwestern Anatolia. This suggests that the excess of CHG-related ancestry in the Bronze Age populations (relative to the Anatolia_N northwestern Anatolian baseline) we have just described could in fact be mediated by a population such as the Tepecik-Çiftlik population. We first tested whether the Tepecik-Çiftlik population did in fact have CHG-related ancestry relative to the Anatolia_N population, by modeling as having ancestry from N=1, 2, 3 sources in the same manner as the Bronze Age populations; no feasible models were discovered for N=1, 2, and the population could be modelled as a having ~19-24% CHG-related ancestryin the feasible N=3 models (Table S2.10).

(...)
We also formed the set AllA = All ∪ (Anatolia_Tepecik_Ciftlik, Anatolia_Boncuklu), which includes both the Tepecik-Çiftlik population and the earlier Aceramic Neolithic population from Boncuklu and tried to model the Bronze Age populations as derived from N=1, 2, 3 sources of this set, thus not assuming that the Anatolia_N population from northwestern Anatolia is the source.
(...)"

Comparing qpAdm and G25 when modelling SW Anatolia EBA:

qpAdm
62% Anatolia N, 32% CHG and 6% Levant N. Good p-value (>0.05).

G25 (scaled and pen = 0), using as source Barcin and Isparta average as target
TUR_Barcin_N,53
GEO_CHG,28.6
Levant_PPNB,18.4

Using Tepecik and Boncuklu as source
TUR_Tepecik_Ciftlik_N,74.2
GEO_CHG,21.4
Levant_PPNB,4.4

Boncuklu is ignored by the model. If the paper used Tepecik (not sure), then G25 doesn't inflate PPNB after all.

Modelling Anatolia Tepecik

qpAdm
66.8% Anatolia N (Barcin?), 23.8% CHG and 9.4% Levant Neo. Good p-value.

G25, using Barcin as source and Tepecik average as target
TUR_Barcin_N,63.2
Levant_PPNB,25.2
GEO_CHG,11.6

qpAdm
56.3% Anatolia N (Barcin?), 24.6% Natufian and 19.1% CHG. Not so good p-value (< 0.05).

G25
TUR_Barcin_N,75.8
GEO_CHG,12.4
Levant_Natufian,11.8

Back to SW Anatolia EBA

qpAdm
90.8% Anatolia ChL and 9.2% Natufian. Good p-value.

G25
TUR_Barcin_C,94.4
Levant_Natufian,5.6

qpAdm
85.8% Anatolia ChL, 8,3% Natufian and 5.9% Anatolia N. Good p-value. Curiously, when Mota is used instead Anatolia N, the p-value gets even higher:
88.9% Anatolia ChL, 10.5% Natufian and 0.5% Mota.

G25 (using Barcin)
TUR_Barcin_C,76.6
TUR_Barcin_N,21
Levant_Natufian,2.4

G25 (using Tepecik for Anatolia N instead Barcin N)
TUR_Barcin_C,67.2
TUR_Tepecik_Ciftlik_N,32.8

Curiously, no Natufian contribution in G25 when average Isparta is modeled as Barcin Chalco plus Tepecik Neo.

Finally (the one you posted)

qpAdm
83.5% Anatolia ChL, 9.5% Natufian and 7% Minoan. Good p-value. When Levant BA is used instead Natufian, the p-value gets even higher.
65.9% Anatolia ChL, 17.3% Levant BA and 16.8 Minoan.

G25
TUR_Barcin_C,65.6
GRC_Minoan_Lassithi,31.4
Levant_Natufian,3

At the end, G25 doesn't seem to inflate Natufian, compared to qpAdm.

I could have missed something in all this analysis. We never know. :)

By the way, this seems an interesting paper on qpAdm:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.09.032664v1.full

Fantastic work, Regio. That's really useful and enlightening for our discussion and also many others. In the end, I think the overall conclusion is that percentages vary between G25 and qpAdm (with G25 not always inflating Levantine signals, contrary to expected), but the general relevant takeaways from the results of the models are very similar if not identical. G25 doesn't seem to be finding Natufian, Levant_N or Levant_BA affinities where it in fact doesn't exist. The real proportion may be somewhat lower (or a bit higher), but it's there without any significant qualitative change. Of course what the reality may be is that those proportions are just being not more than proximate sources for the actual thing, which was in fact an admixed group composed of bits of the source samples used in the hypothetical ancestry model.

Guys, unfortunately as Angela points out we lack definitely South Italian DNA samples extracted from burials in the region, and Iron Age Sicilian DNA samples, but I think we can at least make a good informed guesswork based on some of the Imperial Rome samples that do appear very much to be people of South Italian origin or even South Italian migrants themselves. If they are indeed South Italians and/or Sicilians, then we could conclude that whatever significant changes had occurred between the BA and the late pre-Christian Era had already taken place and consolidated in admixed form by the time of the Roman Empire. Some minor changes took place later, of course, but not any decisive ones to cause South Italians and Sicilians plot where they do now.

I'm talking of aDNA samples from Imperial Rome like these:

Target: ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR51Target: ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR51Distance to:ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR51
Distance: 1.9058% / 0.01905820 | ADC: 0.5xDistance: 2.2787% / 0.02278743 | ADC: 1x0.02857469Italian_Campania:NaN65DFG
38.6Iberia_Northeast_Empuries235.2Greek_Kos0.02878325Greek_Kos:GreeceKos7
16.2ARM_Areni_C27.0Italian_Apulia0.03066587Italian_Apulia:pu3
11.0Scythian_MDA26.2Italian_Campania0.03169235Italian_Campania:NaN46TC
10.8TUR_Alalakh_MLBA11.6Italian_Abruzzo0.03240783Italian_Abruzzo:Alp503
10.2HRV_EBA0.03246063Italian_Abruzzo:ItalyAbruzzo14
7.2ITA_Sardinia_Punic0.03296894Italian_Apulia:pu7
6.0Levant_Megiddo_MLBA0.03304690Sicilian_East:EastSicilian5H
0.03346061Ashkenazi_Germany:Ashk_DE_DE_4
0.03370560Greek_Crete:Crete7
0.03371031Maltese:Malta15AM91
0.03418027Italian_Campania:NaN212CR
0.03431155Greek_Kos:GreeceKos1
0.03431171Italian_Apulia:GS34
0.03437454Sicilian_East:EastSicilian2H

Target: ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR47Target: ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR47Distance to:ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR47ITALIAN
Distance: 1.5437% / 0.01543748 | ADC: 0.5xDistance: 1.4979% / 0.01497893 | ADC: 1x0.02316833Italian_Basilicata:pG25
38.2ITA_Sardinia_Late_Antiquity65.4Italian_Campania0.02407205Italian_Campania:CMP_b001_2
13.0Scythian_MDA22.6Italian_Basilicata0.02455592Italian_Campania:ITS4
12.0ARM_Areni_C12.0Italian_Abruzzo0.02457903Italian_Campania:NaN207MM
11.6HRV_EBA0.02467801Italian_Campania:NaN275IS
7.6TUR_Barcin_C0.02476549Italian_Abruzzo:Alp380
4.8Iberia_Ibiza_Punic0.02502529Italian_Campania:CMP_b004_2
4.2TUR_Isparta_EBA0.02533783Italian_Apulia:GS32
3.6Bell_Beaker_HUN_EBA0.02630855Italian_Calabria:ALP596
2.6TUR_Alalakh_MLBA0.02667613Italian_Abruzzo:ALP205
2.4Iberia_Southeast_c.3-4CE0.02688689Italian_Apulia:cera8
0.02695925Italian_Basilicata:pG16
0.02731715Italian_Campania:NaN43TC
0.02759083Italian_Basilicata:pG18
0.02767972Ashkenazi_Lithuania:Ashk_LT_LT_10

Target: ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR836Target: ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR836Distance to:ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR836
Distance: 2.5053% / 0.02505265 | ADC: 0.5xDistance: 2.6369% / 0.02636937 | ADC: 1x0.02865457Greek_Izmir:GreeceSmyrna30
27.0Scythian_MDA64.4Greek_Izmir0.03152810Italian_Campania:NaN238DM
23.6TUR_Ovaoren_EBA35.6Italian_Abruzzo0.03173231Italian_Abruzzo:Alp503
18.8BGR_IA0.03191599Italian_Apulia:pu7
13.8HRV_EBA0.03196929Italian_Abruzzo:ALP205
7.4ARM_Areni_C0.03211102Italian_Basilicata:pG22
3.6TUR_Isparta_EBA0.03325512Italian_Campania:NaN128LA
3.2Levant_Ashkelon_IA10.03418200Italian_Abruzzo:ItalyAbruzzo22
2.6TUR_IA_low_res0.03454272Italian_Abruzzo:Alp162
0.03460323Italian_Umbria:pG06
0.03462561Italian_Apulia:pu2
0.03491981Italian_Apulia:ALP583
0.03523100Italian_Molise:pG26
0.03527997Italian_Basilicata:pG17
0.03552152Italian_Lazio:NOR28

Target: ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR49Target: ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR49Distance to:ITA_Rome_Imperial:RMPR49ITALIAN
Distance: 1.6720% / 0.01672012 | ADC: 0.5xDistance: 1.4426% / 0.01442636 | ADC: 1x0.01973934Greek_Izmir:GreeceSmyrna30
22.0HRV_EBA42.6Greek_Izmir0.02054434Italian_Molise:pG26
19.6BGR_IA37.0Italian_Apulia0.02093170Italian_Apulia:GS32
17.2TUR_Camlibel_Tarlasi_LC17.4Italian_Molise0.02142284Italian_Apulia:cera8
14.0Scythian_MDA1.8Italian_Campania0.02204828Italian_Campania:NaN238DM
9.8ITA_Sardinia_Late_Antiquity1.2Italian_Abruzzo0.02324557Italian_Abruzzo:ALP205
5.4ARM_Areni_C0.02375489Italian_Basilicata:pG20
5.0Bell_Beaker_HUN_EBA0.02426240Italian_Apulia:cera9
4.0TUR_Kaman-Kalehoyuk_MLBA_low_res0.02437365Italian_Calabria:ALP596
2.2TUR_Ikiztepe_LC0.02474923Italian_Lazio:NOR28
0.8Iberia_Ibiza_Punic0.02498351Italian_Abruzzo:ItalyAbruzzo15
0.02499196Sicilian_East:EastSicilian2H
0.02518214Greek_Crete:Crete8
0.02545031Italian_Basilicata:pG16
0.02570912Italian_Apulia:pu3

Ygorcs can you run R850? 🤔
Like you run those imperial .... 👍
Can you use natufian instead levant megido:unsure:?

This thread has been viewed 190096 times.

Back