Genetic and Cultural Differences between Jews and Greeks

Indeed, I actually will not be surprised to find that some of them vote proudly for people and political/ideological groups who strongly believed in those ideas in the past (if not even now)...

And ironically you utilize tools of Davidski, and up-vote people that subscribe to his ideas, that would most likely consider you a "monkey".
Disgusting as it may sound.

Just a little reminder about Anatolia_BA samples published so far:

Target
Distance
GEO_CHG
IRN_HotuIIIb_Meso
Levant_Natufian
TUR_Pinarbasi_HG
TUR_Arslantepe_EBA
TUR_Kaman-Kalehoyuk_MLBA
TUR_Isparta_EBA
TUR_Ovaoren_EBA
TUR_Titris_Hoyuk_EBA
Average

Target
Distance
GEO_CHG
IRN_Tepe_Abdul_Hosein_N
Levant_PPNB
TUR_Barcin_N
TUR_Arslantepe_EBA
TUR_Kaman-Kalehoyuk_MLBA
TUR_Isparta_EBA
TUR_Ovaoren_EBA
TUR_Titris_Hoyuk_EBA
Average

Strong affinity to ABA, either through direct ancestry or shared ancestral components combined to form a similar genetic makeup, necessarily implies having gotten moderately significant Levantine_N and, on a more basal level, Natufian-like admixture.

Just a little reminder about Anatolia_BA samples published so far:

TargetDistanceGEO_CHGIRN_HotuIIIb_MesoLevant_NatufianTUR_Pinarbasi_HG
TUR_Arslantepe_EBA0.0648579831.69.221.038.2
TUR_Kaman-Kalehoyuk_MLBA0.0551425023.212.012.852.0
TUR_Isparta_EBA0.0542347822.411.88.257.6
TUR_Ovaoren_EBA0.0504332623.212.614.250.0
TUR_Titris_Hoyuk_EBA0.0818232730.811.020.238.0
Average0.0612983626.211.315.347.2

TargetDistanceGEO_CHGIRN_Tepe_Abdul_Hosein_NLevant_PPNBTUR_Barcin_N
TUR_Arslantepe_EBA0.0307617420.817.431.630.2
TUR_Kaman-Kalehoyuk_MLBA0.0206571014.817.613.054.6
TUR_Isparta_EBA0.0221194415.615.210.059.2
TUR_Ovaoren_EBA0.0189969014.618.418.648.4
TUR_Titris_Hoyuk_EBA0.0503684417.222.222.038.6
Average0.0285807216.618.219.046.2

Strong affinity to ABA, either through direct ancestry or shared ancestral components combined to form a similar genetic makeup, necessarily implies having gotten moderately significant Levantine_N and, on a more basal level, Natufian-like admixture.

That is wrong, considering they are a two-way mix of 60% Anatolian_N and 40% CHG according to qpAdm analysis.

And ironically you utilize tools of Davidski, and up-vote people that subscribe to his ideas, that would most likely consider you a "monkey".
Disgusting as it may sound.

Honestly do you think I should care that much? I don't take their models as gospel, I just take the publicly available tools, do my own things with them and draw my own conclusions after reading the pertinent published literature on the subject... and, if my own conclusions end up being the same as others', so be it, I agree with them. I agree or upvote comments, not people as a whole. This is not a competition in which we are fans of this or that party.

You may find that ironic, and perhaps it's true, but, you know, those two ironies are not mutually exclusive, so my first comment remains. Those who feel they should wear that cloak, as we say here in Brazil, may do it. Those who don't think so will just read it and go on with their business.

That is wrong, considering they are a two-way mix of 60% Anatolian_N and 40% CHG accordint to qpAdm analysis.

According to two-way genetic models, indeed that's absolutely the best fit. You won't find any better combination under those constraints. But how likely do you really think, considering the history of Anatolia (I'm assuming you've read quite a bit about it), that between the Neolithic and the Bronze Age there was just one gene flow into Anatolia, and that was just from the Caucasus, and actually the pre-Neolithic Caucasus, since by the Neolithic the Caucasian region already had significant Iran_N flow, too? The entire Middle East saw all sorts of bidirectional admixtures between the Neolithic and the Bronze Age, and you think Anatolia was spared and is best fit with a simple two-way model? Sorry if I take that with a whole load of salt.

That is wrong, considering they are a two-way mix of 60% Anatolian_N and 40% CHG according to qpAdm analysis.

The PCA (
Fig. 2B
) indicates that all the Anatolian genome sequences from the Early Bronze Age (~2200 BCE) and Late Bronze Age (~1600 BCE) cluster with a previously sequenced Copper Age (~3900–3700 BCE) individual from Northwestern Anatolia and lie between Anatolian Neolithic (Anatolia_N) samples and CHG samples but not between Anatolia_N and EHG samples. A test of the form D(CHG, Mbuti; Anatolia_EBA, Anatolia_N) shows that these individuals share more alleles with CHG than Neolithic Anatolians do (Z = 3.95), and we are not able to reject a two-population qpAdm model in which these groups derive ~60% of their ancestry from Anatolian farmers and ~40% from CHG-related ancestry (p-value = 0.5). This signal is not driven by Neolithic Iranian ancestry, since the result of a similar test of the form D(Iran_N, Mbuti; Anatolia_EBA, Anatolia_N) does not deviate from zero (Z = 1.02). Taken together with recent findings of CHG ancestry on Crete (
), our results support a widespread CHG-related gene flow, not only into Central Anatolia but also into the areas surrounding the Black Sea and Crete. The latter are not believed to have been influenced by steppe-related migrations and may thus correspond to a shared archaeological horizon of trade and innovation in metallurgy (
).

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6748862/
[SUB]
[/SUB]
[/FONT]

As a personal matter? How ridiculous. If you're going to take the discussion in that direction, I won't reply your comments anymore. Actually I think those who are really angry and find it nearly (if not literally) offensive that there is a mere objective discussion about why some models are showing even MINOR Levantine admixture in the Italians that are indeed closest to the East Mediterranean area (which includes the Levant, did you notice it? lol) are those who are really taking it personally, particularly considering that, "coincidentally" (oh yeah, of course), they all without exception have Italian origins. But no, they aren't taking it personally at all, and they are all perfectly fine with having some Levantine ancestors. Indeed. ;)

Considering the majority of the studies you are talking about don't even try to differentiate between Anatolian and Levantine ancestral components and do not even include any Levantine proxy in the models they test, OF COURSE you will find no relevant mention of Levant_N admixture in most of them. But you know what's funny? At the same time I see many of you claiming South Italians and Sicilians are very rich in ABA-related ancestry. Well, didn't you take notice that ABA did have Levantine ancestry, too? Well, well, well... it seems it's not so bad if you can make it come from Anatolia or from the Balkans, not from those Arabs' lands of the Levant.

As far as I am concerned, I am half north Italian and I don't see how the models used for south Italians can change their relationship with the rest of Italy or the rest of Europe, and that's not the point( as for the matter, I had no problems saying that there are north africans' genes in Sicily, and to a smaller extent in south Italy, because that is what has been found and what is also consistent with Geography and History): what I am objecting is to deduce a historical event ( a migration of people from the east mediterranean basin, richer in Levant_neolithic than the Anatolian population in the bronze age, when the levant [natufian] admixture was diluted by a gene flow from the caucasus and, according to Lazaridis 2017 [feel free to cite another paper that has other results], very marginally received additional gene flow from the Levant [ABA was modelled with a 6% Levant neolithic]), from an amateur's models. If we are free to doubt the results or methodology of professionals, we can certainly do the same with anyone. Specifically, in order for your model to reflect reality, there must have been a massive migration, not recorded till now, that gave south/central Italians ( and Greeks) an average 10-8% Levant in addition to the natufian/levant ancestry present already in EEF, from a population that was not 100% Levant, thus contributing to a higher degree than a mere 10-8%. I reiterate here some criticisms about your model that I made in another thread: the amount of Iran_neolithic seems too low, especially if there was another gene flow that not only carried the usual mix of anatolian farmer and iran neolithic but also some Levant. In the case that it was the same gene flow found ( normally "found" is not an adjective to be used regarding genetic models, but the ANE element in it makes it stands out ), then it is very unlikely that no researcher realised that it is best modelled using some more Levant than the quantity already present in Ceramic Anatolian Farmers(who had 20% Natufian, from the paper about Anatolian farmer, whose exact name I can't recall right now). Futhermore, your criticism that the cited studies did not take into consideration other possible gene flows from people with additional Levant admixture is very shaky: don't you think that maybe they used Levant_N as a possible donor in some models but found that the ones without fared better, and that is the reason why in these studies you find models without Levant_N? It's possible that they did not, but I find it very unlikely that no one realised this shortcoming. Also, for what it can be good for, I remember that in Lazaridis 2017 models with Levant_N were used but later discarded because models without fared better. Certainly to claim that they did not use their advanced tools to try and distinguish Levant_N from Anatolian farmers is not a very sound argument for your claim that your model is more trustworthy. As a last consideration, I have been honest and told you what I do not find convincing in your theory, but I have also tried to find a reasonable ground to carry this discussion forward in a rational way: you say that south east Europeans have an additional Levant admixture, so do you know any paper that shows/ at least suggests that? Also, you said that you ground your models also on uniparental data, so could you tell what precisely in these data leads you to think that they support your model? C'mon, I do not think I am being unreasonable and/or "cynic".

According to two-way genetic models, indeed that's absolutely the best fit. You won't find any better combination under those constraints. But how likely do you really think, considering the history of Anatolia (I'm assuming you've read quite a bit about it), that between the Neolithic and the Bronze Age there was just one gene flow into Anatolia, and that was just from the Caucasus, and actually the pre-Neolithic Caucasus, since by the Neolithic the Caucasian region already had significant Iran_N flow, too? The entire Middle East saw all sorts of bidirectional admixtures between the Neolithic and the Bronze Age, and you think Anatolia was spared and is best fit with a simple two-way model? Sorry if I take that with a whole load of salt.

That's absolutely right. Anatolia is the least place to think of being a stable, unchanged population from which time on? Actually there are little places around the world which stayed unchanged, Anatolia surely did not. And from the recent papers on the issue we know that they have admixture from further (South-) East.

@Jovialis: Don't you think ideas should stand in for themselves? Being verified or falsified based on logical reasoning, factual arguments and data? So if a person which you don't like says something which sounds about right, you will say no because of the antipathy? That's personal or political judgment, not scientific, not even logical reasoning. To give an example for myself, I don't like many things Johannes Krause is saying and writing, I think he is quite often damned wrong. But if he's right about something, or did a good job, what he really does from time to time, he is right and did a good, even important job. Kudos to him. Period.

It wasn't my intention to insult you, Angela. Sorry if it came across as that personally. I don't actually think you deny Levantine connections in Italians (ancient or modern ones) not nearly as strongly as some others, though I do think you sound perhaps a little too scarred by the previous discussions with racist and white supremacist members, so you sometimes jump in the conversation already taking as an a priori certain assumption that every discussing Italian ancestry and mentioning anything that is not present in the majority of Europeans to the north of Italy are part of some longlasting conspiracy to deny the "Europeanness" of Italians.

Some people just need to calm down, and instead of tackling those racists and xenophobes by playing their game say what I, for one, say when people comment that white Brazilians are not reeeally white because they usually have some Amerindian and African ancestry, too. I won't deny that, I simply say something like: "yeah, so what? We're all the much better and more unique for it, or do you think we'd care about it? It's true, but you're stupid if you think that's a bad thing." Period.

Well, I don't speak for anyone else, but in my case (and I guess that of other Eupedia members too) I think you know me well enough to have already seen me participating in discussions on the ancestry of populations all over the world. It just happens that Italians and Italy are particularly important as a nation in Europe and as the source of a lot of the most impressive portions of European (and actually all Mediterranean Basin's) history, so we all should indeed be interested in its genetic history.

You shouldn't find that offensive. Not all people are Davidski and those stupid, you know. Now that's what I think is an insult: no one can dare say something about Italian ancestry here that he or she is immediately and a priori accused of being a pal of Davidski, Sikeliot and whatnot.

I must say that has become really tiresome and disappointing. Should we simply ignore Italy and Italians for good in this forum, leave it only to the people of Italian background, and, as you say, just concentrate on our own nations? (about that, by the way, I thought population genetics was something that interested everyone who likes History, not just a hobby for people who want to strengthen their individual or national ethnic identity, but maybe I got it wrong and I am actually a tiny minority in forums like these).

Have you missed all my comments in this and other threads reminding other Eupedia members that Levant_N-related admixture is not the as Levantine people and in fact Levant_N may have and probably did arrive in Italy indirectly via previously strongly Levant_N-admixed populations in the East Mediterranean and North Africa, not straight from the Levant? Have you also missed my repeated comments that people are always confusing Levantine-N-related ancestry with similarity to modern Levantines, who are actually less than 50% Levant_N in average (IIRC), so not good proxies for them at all? I honestly don't get this contradiction: you all are willing to say South Italy and Sicily seems to have a strong connection with ABA, and at the same time deny any non-negligible Levantine_N admixture in them. Those two statements negate each other.

So, yes, I did occur to me, and I've actually been saying that for a long time, though I also do think a little direct Levantine contribution (either Levant_N, Levant_BA or Levant_IA, maybe several minor migration waves accumulated over time) did also take place.

Now you're being condescending, which is also insulting. I understand this material as well if not far better than you do. When I disagree with you it's not because I don't understand the issue; it's because I think you're wrong. Yes, you're wrong, and have been wrong before, spectacularly so, so you should be used to it.

You're also misrepresenting my opinions and prevaricating about the motivations of many posters on this subject. I won't tolerate either.

I NEVER EVER said I would have a problem with Southern Italians/Sicilians having non-negligible "Levantine" ancestry from the periods after the Bronze Age, nor do I. Far from it. I like them far more than a lot of northern Europeans, and even some Southern Europeans on occasion, to be quite honest.

Stop presenting yourself as being able to read my thoughts and attitudes, because you can't. That's both presumptuous and insulting.

I, on the contrary, am NOT imputing racist attitudes to actual non-Italian posters who obsess on this topic. I have read their opinions WITH MY OWN EYES on various sites, as well as their pms both to me and to other people.

I absolutely don't believe you, having been around as long as you have, and on so many sites, haven't seen it too, so you're prevaricating and trying to obfuscate the situation, to put it more nicely than it deserves.

Don't attempt to address me again on this topic because I won't respond.

I can't abide dishonest, hypocritical people. You're on permanent ignore.

That's absolutely right. Anatolia is the least place to think of being a stable, unchanged population from which time on? Actually there are little places around the world which stayed unchanged, Anatolia surely did not. And from the recent papers on the issue we know that they have admixture from further (South-) East.

@Jovialis: Don't you think ideas should stand in for themselves? Being verified or falsified based on logical reasoning, factual arguments and data? So if a person which you don't like says something which sounds about right, you will say no because of the antipathy? That's personal or political judgment, not scientific, not even logical reasoning. To give an example for myself, I don't like many things Johannes Krause is saying and writing, I think he is quite often damned wrong. But if he's right about something, or did a good job, what he really does from time to time, he is right and did a good, even important job. Kudos to him. Period.

Guess what genius, it was indeed, in the time period which is salient to the discussion:

Here, we report genome-wide data analyses from 110 ancient Near Eastern individuals spanning the Late Neolithic to Late Bronze Age, a period characterized by intense interregional interactions for the Near East. We find that 6
th millennium BCE populations of North/Central Anatolia and the Southern Caucasus shared mixed ancestry on a genetic cline that formed during the Neolithic between Western Anatolia and regions in today’s Southern Caucasus/Zagros. During the Late Chalcolithic and/or the Early Bronze Age, more than half of the Northern Levantine gene pool was replaced, while in the rest of Anatolia and the Southern Caucasus, we document genetic continuity with only transient gene flow. Additionally, we reveal a genetically distinct individual within the Late Bronze Age Northern Levant. Overall, our study uncovers multiple scales of population dynamics through time, from extensive admixture during the Neolithic period to long-distance mobility within the globalized societies of the Late Bronze Age.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0092867420305092

I don't know what samples they used for NorthAfrican1, but ANF and Levant_N were much closer to each other than Levant_N to Morocco_EN/Taforalt, because of the latter's much higher SSA-related (in fact ANA) ancestry, while Levant_N had only a heavly diluted diminished Natufian admixture (only ~25-30% of which was Taforalt-like, the remaining ~70-75% already quite ANF-like, and even Taforalt itself was already itself ~55% Dzudzuana-like West Eurasian) coupled with mostly ANF-like admixture. So, the vast majority of genetic models on populations with Levantine ancestry will pick Anatolia_N instead of anything rich in indigenous North African admixture.

TargetDistanceGEO_CHGIRN_HotuIIIb_MesoLevant_NatufianTUR_Pinarbasi_HG
Levant_PPNB0.043913182.40.057.440.2
Levant_PPNC0.056241100.00.061.039.0
TUR_Barcin_N0.048069583.80.04.891.4
TUR_Boncuklu_N0.030101023.83.80.092.4

Finally, it's easy to solve that mystery: geneticists should try and analyze models distinguishing ANF and Levant_N as much as they can using their advanced tools. Why should they be afraid of doing so if that will enlighten the genetic history of the entire Mediterranean Basin much more?

As long as you guys don't keep accusing people of some hidden racist/xenophonic motivations for their interpretations of genetic data without any evidence at all except your own disagreements, that will remain so.

I thought ANA wasn't SSA related (more SSA related than Eurasians but still on a separate population).

Riverman: I am all for freedom of speech, save the obvious (i.e. threatening speech) but your post about Rome being all over Europe, etc or genetically everyone is Roman kind of showed your hand, in my opinion. Your post started with this notion that West Sicily is fundamentally different from East Sicily, which is empirically nonsense. I am not going to do an entire literature review but going back to Sarno et al 2014, they found an I quote "our results point to a substantially homogeneous composition of maternal and paternal genetic pools within Sicily (East vs. West) as well as between Sicily and Southern Italy". Prior to 2014, there were the competing hypotheses that Phoenician presence on the West Coast vs. Greek colonization on the East, which never really got to where the City of Palermo is, might be reflected in differences of genetic pools. Well following Sarno et al 2014, Parolo et al (2016, Figure 1), Sazzini et al 2016 (Figure 2) and Raveane et al (2019), which has already been cited numerous times in this thread all find the same basic clustering of Italian populations across the 20 political regions, with Sicily clustering with Southern Regions. In addition, none of those papers found a difference in Sicily from West to East. So one can reasonably draw that you were perhaps trying to separate the Southern Italian regions from the ancient Romans. One could perhaps see that by first saying, well lets see if we can get West Sicily detached from East Sicily, then, that opens the door to say, well lets see if we can detach East Sicily from the Southern Mainland, and so on, and so on, till you get to a point hey Look, the Romans looked like us North of the Alps. You see we told ya so.

So I understand 1 paper publishes some findings, ok, but after 4 papers are finding the same results using different samples, different methodologies, then when I see an amateur calculator presented by someone on Youtube, or ItalianAnthro (the owner of that blog to his or her credit calls out the trolls quickly and to his/her credit, gives them a warning about presenting PCA plots from amateur calculators that are not consistent with the extant literature, if they persist after multiple warnings, the don't let the door hit you in the, you know the rest), etc, then I have to question the amateurs results. It could be an honest search, hence no integrity issues, or it could be someone with a political or troll agenda.

I made a statement earlier about the G25 model and after reading a post by Ygorcs I want to clarify. First, I have never ran G25 as I don't have my G25 coordinates, as I already stated. Second, if Ygorcs says the G25 model is a well specified statistical model, then I will accept what he said. I am not a trained statistician. I did take 21 hours of graduate research methods, statistics, Regression, Logistic Regression, 2-state least squares, etc, so I am a fairly good applied statistician (I am not a Statistician, to repeat). So if there are folks here who say the G25 Model is well specified, then I will take it as such.

However, If then G25 is in fact a well specified model, then when results are presented by amateurs using G25, or other such calculators, are not in line with a well established body of papers, then, I have to question the motives of such people. It could be, they are just honestly not aware of published papers, in that case, after being presented the evidence from the published papers, they revise their own G25 calculators before going to blogs, youtube, quora, etc and publish them, great, I respect that. However, if after being shown over, and over, and over, papers that are not in line with what there personal G25 models are saying, then I question their political motives (their Trolls). In the cases where the amateur G25 model is inconsistent with the published paper, and they know their results they produced are not in line with the extant literature, then it suggest to me someone data mining to find a desired result due to selecting samples that are from a extreme part of a distribution, e.g. from the extreme tail to outliers, or they are measuring variables inappropriately, etc.

As for Romans being genetically part of the DNA of occidental Europe. maybe, but did that shift them towards Italy, or more so Southern Italy even parts of Central Italy which cluster South? I don''t think I have drifted to far from Bell Beaker Sicily, or even Otzi the Iceman, which I share some pretty good amount of DNA with (per MTA Chroma analysis). Just take people like them add some Steppe and yes, maybe some Levant via Pheonicians, etc and that would be me. I think the 3 models from Dodecad12B, MDLP16 and Euro K13 pretty much show I am not too far from Iron Age Romans either, If I were 2 run Imperial Romans, get similar scores, run Medieval ROmans, similar scores. So you are going to have reconcile how Me, yeess Me (borrowing from Pink Floyd's The Wall yes Youuu), plot that close with those Roman samples.

So I am going to lay out my working hypothesis, and that's all it is, I think the Steppe Herders in Central Europe and more so in Nordic Europe got pushed to where they are due to the Steppers there having heavy, heavy EHG ancestry, not that me or other Sicilians or any other Italian gut shifted to where we are because of some massive migration into Sicily or Italy. So that is my story, and the first piece of evidence from Antonio et al 2019 seems to support my view, not that other research in the future with different samples could make it more nuanced, I understand that to be possible.

Last edited:
Some people just need to calm down, and instead of tackling those racists and xenophobes by playing their game say what I, for one, say when people comment that white Brazilians are not reeeally white because they usually have some Amerindian and African ancestry, too. I won't deny that, I simply say something like: "yeah, so what? We're all the much better and more unique for it, or do you think we'd care about it? It's true, but you're stupid if you think that's a bad thing." Period.

I understand your position, @Ygorcs . The also Forum moderators Angela and Jovialis have always been extremely kind to me and supported me when I needed support. But I was already called black here in this forum due to some autosomal SSA ancestry, which can be recent, ancestral or both, it doesn't matter. My phenotype is nothing black and the attempt for me to change my ancestry in my profile was close to bullying. It is the story that one drop is enough. I don't have just one drop, but maybe two or three. Was that enough to change my European phenotype? Of course not.

Your post started with this notion that West Sicily is fundamentally different from East Sicily, which is empirically nonsense.

I just shared a result, which I corrected myself once Ygorcs showed me my mistake. But it seems West and East Sicily is somewhat differentiated based on G25, in which exact way is debatable and how reliable that samples are too.

I am not going to do an entire literature review but going back to Sarno et al 2014, they found an I quote "our results point to a substantially homogeneous composition of maternal and paternal genetic pools within Sicily (East vs. West) as well as between Sicily and Southern Italy". Prior to 2014, there were the competing hypotheses that Phoenician presence on the West Coast vs. Greek colonization on the East, which never really got to where the City of Palermo is, might be reflected in differences of genetic pools. Well following Sarno et al 2014, Parolo et al (2016, Figure 1), Sazzini et al 2016 (Figure 2) and Raveane et al (2019), which has already been cited numerous times in this thread all find the same basic clustering of Italian populations across the 20 political regions, with Sicily clustering with Southern Regions.

The samples I used got pretty close to Southern Italian regions in my runs too. Its just minor deviation which seems to appear in the Western sample, shown by the increase of North African ancestry. I'm just talking about this sample. But even then they are still very, very close to other Southern Italians, especially Calabria.

In addition, one of those papers found a difference in Sicily from West to East. So one can reasonably draw that you were perhaps trying to separate the Southern Italian regions from the ancient Romans. One could perhaps see that by first saying, well lets see if we can get West Sicily detached from East Sicily, then, that opens the door to say, well lets see if we can detach East Sicily from the Southern Mainland, and so on, and so on, till you get to a point hey Look, the Romans looked like us North of the Alps. You see we told ya so.

That would be a quite complicated path to reach that goal. If that would have been my target, I would most certainly take Southern Italy, including Sicily, as a whole. Magna Graecia and so on...
Besides I think all that stuff can be discussed in a calm and respectful manner. So far so good.

And many people forgot what the real "stories" from some corners of the American political spectrum were. Like Southern Italians and Sicilians being heavily Subsaharan African admixed. I guess people have a short memory span sometimes. Because that story is now dead and buried below the very data we got in the last years, including from amateurs. Probably we still remember the famous scene with Christopher Walken, just search for "True Romance - The Sicilian Scene" if you don't know it.

That movie is from the 90's, Tarantino did it for effect, yes, but what happens is WASP American country club elite, the Nordicist on one extreme and Afro-Centrist took it as "Gospel". The WASP used it to push the narrative I heard as a kid, which I already have mentioned, the Romans looked and sounded like the BBC actors and actresses from I Claudius, which I watched as young person on American PBS television in the 1970's. The Nordicist, the militant ones argued the ancient Romans looked in essence like Vikings, and the Afro-centrist who were arguing back then Egypt was a SSA civilization, claimed the Moors that invaded Europe were from SSA. Starting with the Know Nothings of the pre-Civil War, which were anti Irish-Catholic, through the post Civil War to WW1 period, when millions of immigrants to the USA came from Southern Italy and Sicily, Greece, Eastern Europe, both Polish Catholics and Eastern European Jewish groups, the standard of what was European in the USA was 1) WASP, English/Anglo-Saxon/Scottish Protestant Church of England types and 2) Nordic Northern Europeans even though while not the ruling, political and economic elite of the country, ruling elite, were in phenotypes more similar to the WASP.

So I don't need you to remind me of anything, I lived through all what you wrote.

@Ygrocs & Riverman:

From [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Genomic History of Neolithic to Bronze Age Anatolia, Northern Levant, and Southern Caucasus[/FONT]

cTur0wI.png

https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(20)30509-2.pdf?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS0092867420305092%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

I seriously doubt amateur tools are able to disentangle the homogenous gene pools of Copper Age and Bronze Age Anatolia, if more sophisticated ones currently, cannot.

It's not like I am making up stuff interpreting my amateur models without any solid basis on what I'd already read in peer-reviewed published genetic studies. You may disagree and you may be even correct ultimately, but it's not like there is no plausible substantiation in what we are interpreting. For instance:

"However, some remarkable differences (i.e., residuals) between N_ITA and S_ITA outgroup f3 statistics were observed as concerns specific ancient population groups (Fig. 2b). In particular, negative residuals suggesting closer affinity of aDNA samples to the S_ITA cluster were found to exceed one standard deviation (SD) from the mean of the obtained distribution when hunter-gatherers from the Caucasus, Neolithic, and Chalcolithic/Bronze-Age samples from Anatolia, Near East, Greece, and the Balkans were considered. Negative values even more outstanding (i.e., exceeding two SDs) were then observed in relation to the Levant and Iranian Neolithic samples. Conversely, positive residuals suggesting closer affinity of ancient populations to the N_ITA cluster and exceeding one SD were found by taking into account especially Iberian individuals belonging to the Bell Baker culture, the Copper Age Northern Italian Remedello specimen, and hunter-gatherer and Bronze Age samples from Central and Eastern Europe."

"The results from the analysis of residuals calculated by contrasting N_ITA and S_ITA outgroup f3 statistics and using a large panel of aDNA samples are consistent with the hypothesis mentioned above. In fact, increased shared genetic ancestry with Chalcolithic/Bronze Age and, especially, Neolithic remains from Anatolia, Armenia, Near East, and Greece was inferred for S_ITA with respect to N_ITA, with the largest residuals pointing to the relationships of S_ITA with populations from Iran and the Levant dating back to the Neolithic (Fig. 2b).

https://bmcbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12915-020-00778-4

"Our results reveal a shared Mediterranean genetic continuity, extending from Sicily to Cyprus, where Southern Italian populations appear genetically closer to Greek-speaking islands than to continental Greece. Besides a predominant Neolithic background, we identify traces of Post-Neolithic Levantine- and Caucasus-related ancestries, compatible with maritime Bronze-Age migrations."

"Whether considering the higher genetic similarity of present-day Sardinians to Early Anatolian and European Neolithic farmers (see also Supplementary Information), we can hypothesize these Levantine- and Caucasus-related admixtures as introgressions interfering with the Neolithic (Sardinian-like) genetic background of our Southern Italian and Southern Balkan populations."

"These results suggest that the genetic history of Southern Italian and Balkan populations may have been, at least in part, independent from that of Eastern and Central Europe, involving specific migratory events that carried Caucasian and Levantine genetic contributes along the Mediterranean shores (see Supplementary Information)."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-01802-4

I just shared a result, which I corrected myself once Ygorcs showed me my mistake. But it seems West and East Sicily is somewhat differentiated based on G25, in which exact way is debatable and how reliable that samples are too.

The samples I used got pretty close to Southern Italian regions in my runs too. Its just minor deviation which seems to appear in the Western sample, shown by the increase of North African ancestry. I'm just talking about this sample. But even then they are still very, very close to other Southern Italians, especially Calabria.

That would be a quite complicated path to reach that goal. If that would have been my target, I would most certainly take Southern Italy, including Sicily, as a whole. Magna Graecia and so on...
Besides I think all that stuff can be discussed in a calm and respectful manner. So far so good.

I meant to say "none of those papers" found differences, statistical differences. I have edited my original post.

@Ygrocs & Riverman:

From Genomic History of Neolithic to Bronze Age Anatolia, Northern Levant, and Southern Caucasus

cTur0wI.png

https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(20)30509-2.pdf?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS0092867420305092%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

I seriously doubt amateur tools are able to disentangle the homogenous gene pools of Copper Age and Bronze Age Anatolia, if more sophisticated ones currently, cannot.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
Ag9umqC.png
[/FONT]

It's not like I am making up stuff interpreting my amateur models without any solid basis on what I'd already read in peer-reviewed published genetic studies. You may disagree and you may be even correct ultimately, but it's not like there is no plausible substantiation in what we are interpreting. For instance:

"However, some remarkable differences (i.e., residuals) between N_ITA and S_ITA outgroup f3 statistics were observed as concerns specific ancient population groups (Fig. 2b). In particular, negative residuals suggesting closer affinity of aDNA samples to the S_ITA cluster were found to exceed one standard deviation (SD) from the mean of the obtained distribution when hunter-gatherers from the Caucasus, Neolithic, and Chalcolithic/Bronze-Age samples from Anatolia, Near East, Greece, and the Balkans were considered. Negative values even more outstanding (i.e., exceeding two SDs) were then observed in relation to the Levant and Iranian Neolithic samples. Conversely, positive residuals suggesting closer affinity of ancient populations to the N_ITA cluster and exceeding one SD were found by taking into account especially Iberian individuals belonging to the Bell Baker culture, the Copper Age Northern Italian Remedello specimen, and hunter-gatherer and Bronze Age samples from Central and Eastern Europe."

"The results from the analysis of residuals calculated by contrasting N_ITA and S_ITA outgroup f3 statistics and using a large panel of aDNA samples are consistent with the hypothesis mentioned above. In fact, increased shared genetic ancestry with Chalcolithic/Bronze Age and, especially, Neolithic remains from Anatolia, Armenia, Near East, and Greece was inferred for S_ITA with respect to N_ITA, with the largest residuals pointing to the relationships of S_ITA with populations from Iran and the Levant dating back to the Neolithic (Fig. 2b).

https://bmcbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12915-020-00778-4

"Our results reveal a shared Mediterranean genetic continuity, extending from Sicily to Cyprus, where Southern Italian populations appear genetically closer to Greek-speaking islands than to continental Greece. Besides a predominant Neolithic background, we identify traces of Post-Neolithic Levantine- and Caucasus-related ancestries, compatible with maritime Bronze-Age migrations."

"Whether considering the higher genetic similarity of present-day Sardinians to Early Anatolian and European Neolithic farmers (see also Supplementary Information), we can hypothesize these Levantine- and Caucasus-related admixtures as introgressions interfering with the Neolithic (Sardinian-like) genetic background of our Southern Italian and Southern Balkan populations."

"These results suggest that the genetic history of Southern Italian and Balkan populations may have been, at least in part, independent from that of Eastern and Central Europe, involving specific migratory events that carried Caucasian and Levantine genetic contributes along the Mediterranean shores (see Supplementary Information)."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-01802-4

We've been over this one before:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/40024-Genomic-Diversity-in-Italy[/FONT]

This thread has been viewed 190007 times.

Back