Anfänger

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Iranian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-Z2103
mtDNA haplogroup
U7a4
Genetic evidence suggests a sense of family, parity and conquest in the Xiongnu Iron Age nomads of Mongolia

Abstract

In an effort to characterize the people who composed the groups known as the Xiongnu, nuclear and whole mitochondrial DNA data were generated from the skeletal remains of 52 individuals excavated from the Tamir Ulaan Khoshuu (TUK) cemetery in Central Mongolia. This burial site, attributed to the Xiongnu period, was used from the first century BC to the first century AD. Kinship analyses were conducted using autosomal and Y-chromosomal DNA markers along with complete sequences of the mitochondrial genome. These analyses suggested close kin relationships between many individuals. Nineteen such individuals composed a large family spanning five generations. Within this family, we determined that a woman was of especially high status; this is a novel insight into the structure and hierarchy of societies from the Xiongnu period. Moreover, our findings confirmed that the Xiongnu had a strongly admixed mitochondrial and Y-chromosome gene pools and revealed a significant western component in the Xiongnu group studied. Using a fine-scale approach (haplotype instead of haplogroup-level information), we propose Scytho-Siberians as ancestors of the Xiongnu and Huns as their descendants.

https://link.springer.com/article/1...fNUgQxKFjMrwLUmUoTQckq7Q4uT86cevEq6FXEbTdwDIE

List of Y-DNA : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...V2_XXFspfTfumMZIWvhj4Vu_nkUZlik#gid=254687382

They are rich in R1a and Q1.

How west eurasian are these people?

Also are these the same Scythio-Siberians that were mostly blonde and blue eyed?

All I see is that West Eurasian mtDna was 1/3 of the total and declined over time.

It would be interesting to know what the paper that is the subject of the thread shows as far as the mtDna, and, more importantly, the autosomal make up of these descendants of Scythians and ancestors of the Huns.

I also wonder whether they ran the pigmentation snps with the better technology we now have available.

Thanks, Anfanger.

I'm guessing 25% light haired and eyed would be the upper bounds unless they underwent the same selection Northern Europeans did.

mixed.png

These R1a carriers (TUK18, TUK23, TUK25) were determined to have European ancestry but all of them had black or brown hair and brown eyes (0.98-1.00). They were less likely to be blondes (0.05-0.08). All R1a1a haplotypes among TUK samples are closely related and were attributed to sub-Hgs R1a1a1b2a-Z95 or R1a1a1b2a2a-Z2125. TUK18 and TUK23 belonged to R1a1a1b2a-Z95 and TUK25 had R1a1a1b2a2a-Z2125. TUK01 and TUK26 carried Q1a1a-M120 and they had mixed (European-Asian) ancestry.

I have my doubts that the ones of European ancestry didn't have Asian ancestry to some degree.

Q1a1a-M120 was found in the formation of the Han as well, but not in extant Han

Kurgan No 6 was the tomb of Uchjulü-Jodi-Chanuy (Uchilonoti, Ulunoti, 烏珠留若提 Wu-Zhou-Liu-Ju-Di, reigned 8 BCE–13 CE), who is mentioned in the Chinese annals. He is famous for freeing his people from the Chinese protectorate that lasted 56 years, from 47 BCE to 9 CE. Uchjulü-Jodi-Chanuy was buried in 13 CE, a date established from the inscription on a cup given to him by the Chinese Emperor during a reception in the Shanlin park near Chang'an in 1 BCE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noin-Ula_burial_site

is there some genetic findings from Uchjulü-Jodi-Chanuy burial?

This thread has been viewed 8063 times.

Back