Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 186

Thread: Photo-real portraits of Roman emperors

  1. #51
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    883

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-s10483>by96055
    MtDNA haplogroup
    from plovdiv h3ap

    Country: Uruguay





    Quote Originally Posted by Aretas View Post
    Philip the Arab, Philip II, Caracalla, Geta, Elagabalus, and Severus Alexander have Arab ancestry. You can tell from their photos they have Middle Eastern features.
    given that carcalla and geta father septimus was punic lybian paternally ( his mother was italian though)
    there is this option for there y haplogroups to be : j1, e-m81, e-v65
    with the bigest chances for e-m81 ....
    it is cool that you belong to e-m81 from jordan ....


    p.s
    yes some of the late roman emperors were from outside rome
    Sefhardi, aschenazi, mizrahi, bulgarian
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-Y62418*/
    https://yfull.com/mtree/H3ap/

  2. #52
    Moderator Pax Augusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-06-14
    Location
    Ara Pacis
    Posts
    1,248


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post

    There's definitely something subjective about what's going on. There's nothing written about the coloring of the hair of some of them, so I don't know why he chose to make them blonde. Also don't know how Vespasian, having seen numerous busts of him, turned out looking a bit too much like our American president LBJ.
    I completely agree 100%.

  3. #53
    Junior Member Aretas's Avatar
    Join Date
    13-10-18
    Location
    Amman
    Posts
    6

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-M81
    MtDNA haplogroup
    L3d1a

    Country: Jordan



    1 members found this post helpful.
    The mother of Carcalla and Geta is Julia Domna, who was an Arab born in Emesa (modern day Homs) in Syria. Her sister Julia Maesa, who was married to a Syrian, is the grandmother of emperors Elagabalus and Severus Alexander.

  4. #54
    Regular Member Carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    2,659

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V22/YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

    Country: Spain



    I have done a little sociological survey

    Who was Caracalla?

    A pirate
    A moorish king

    Who was the most famous Roman emperor?

    I Claudio
    Julius Caesar

    Who was the ugliest Roman emperor?

    Everyone

    Who was the baddest Roman emperor?

    Caligula because he killed his mother

    Which country did Rome love the most?

    Spain
    Greece

    Which country did Rome hate the most?

    France
    England

  5. #55
    Regular Member Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,575

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Caligula didn't kill his mother, she and his brother died in prison (credit to Tiberius)

    ... Nero is the matricide

  6. #56
    Regular Member Carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    2,659

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V22/YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

    Country: Spain



    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    Caligula didn't kill his mother, she and his brother died in prison (credit to Tiberius)

    ... Nero is the matricide
    Time mixes things up.


    I had omitted the question but about Nero I asked:


    Was Nero really bad?


    It wasn't that bad but he started casting Christians to lions by increasing his circus shows more and more.

  7. #57
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    883

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-s10483>by96055
    MtDNA haplogroup
    from plovdiv h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    Quote Originally Posted by Aretas View Post
    The mother of Carcalla and Geta is Julia Domna, who was an Arab born in Emesa (modern day Homs) in Syria. Her sister Julia Maesa, who was married to a Syrian, is the grandmother of emperors Elagabalus and Severus Alexander.
    I know carcalla and geta had syrian mom
    I was speaking about there father septimus severus which his mom did have italian roman roots...
    His mother's ancestors had moved from Italy to North Africa; they belonged to the gens Fulvia, an Italian patrician family that originated in Tusculum.[8]

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tusculum
    Last edited by kingjohn; 08-08-20 at 15:44.

  8. #58
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    18,947


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aretas View Post
    His front profile photo does look Arab. However, his Roman busts don't.
    Hadrian didn’t look anything like an Arab; it’s just this creator’s subjective interpretation. If you think you’re going to start t-rolling here I suggest you think twice.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  9. #59
    Baron
    Join Date
    19-05-12
    Posts
    310


    Country: Canada



    1 members found this post helpful.
    The modern Saudi prince is representative of "Arab", probably then and now. Eye shape, nose shape, overall facial shape is absolutely nothing like the vast majority of these Roman emperors. I can see some Middle Eastern look in a few, as well as definitely some African/North African, but the vast majority all have a generic west European look to them. Caligula looks most like how I imagine ancient Italians in north-central Italy to look.

  10. #60
    Regular Member Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,575

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Time mixes things up.
    I had omitted the question but about Nero I asked:
    Was Nero really bad?
    It wasn't that bad but he started casting Christians to lions by increasing his circus shows more and more.
    Your scale of evil is different from mine,

    Nero's mother (Agrippina the younger) was Caligula's sister and Claudio's 4th wife / niece, ... yep

    ... so Caligula is Nero's uncle.

    oops ... I went off topic, .. again

    Agrippina was the Matrix, a very interesting, goals oriented, ambitious and Powerful woman.

    If she was born in our time, she would have ruled the World :)
    Last edited by Salento; 08-08-20 at 07:26.

  11. #61
    Regular Member Carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    2,659

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V22/YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

    Country: Spain



    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    Your scale of evil is different from mine,

    Nero's mother (Agrippina the younger) was Caligula's sister and Claudio's 4th wife / niece, ... yep

    ... so Caligula is Nero's uncle.

    oops ... I went off topic, .. again

    Agrippina was the Matrix, a very interesting, goals oriented, ambitious and Powerful woman.

    If she was born in our time, she would have ruled the World :)
    The questions are mine, the answers are not, it is a survey of other people.

    The world has already been ruled by another woman: Isabel l de Castilla

  12. #62
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    18,947


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    Your scale of evil is different from mine,

    Nero's mother (Agrippina the younger) was Caligula's sister and Claudio's 4th wife / niece, ... yep

    ... so Caligula is Nero's uncle.

    oops ... I went off topic, .. again

    Agrippina was the Matrix, a very interesting, goals oriented, ambitious and Powerful woman.

    If she was born in our time, she would have ruled the World :)
    Completely agree.

    I also think Livia was formidable, and with the same Claudian lack of ethics. I deeply admire Antonia major.

    Don’t you love how no matter how many busts are produced of the great men of the Republican Era, including Julius, the Nordicists all pick the most Northern European looking one they can find and persist in thinking the ancient Romans all looked like him? Amazing.

  13. #63
    Regular Member Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,575

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Completely agree.

    I also think Livia was formidable, and with the same Claudian lack of ethics. I deeply admire Antonia major.

    Don’t you love how no matter how many busts are produced of the great men of the Republican Era, including Julius, the Nordicists all pick the most Northern European looking one they can find and persist in thinking the ancient Romans all looked like him? Amazing.
    I think that's their way of being relevant, they don't like the idea that they could have been left out of such an important Empire,

    ... in a Sense it is gratifying to know that they want to be associated with our Ancestors :)

  14. #64
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    18,947


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    I think that's their way of being relevant, they don't like the idea that they could have been left out of such an important Empire,

    ... in a Sense it is gratifying to know that they want to be associated with our Ancestors :)
    Couldn’t have said it better. :)

    The Romans of the Republican Era whom they wanted so badly to claim were Southern Europeans. Nothing to do with them.End of story.

  15. #65
    Moderator Pax Augusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-06-14
    Location
    Ara Pacis
    Posts
    1,248


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuvanè View Post
    Appreciable attempt and rather realistic results in my opinion. You can see very current and common "Italian" faces among the ranks. Especially between Claudius and Nerva there are physiognomic traits found especially in central/northern Italy, from internal Lazio to go back to Umbria, Marche and Tuscany up to Romagna
    I agree with you, but as we have already said elsewhere, this reconstruction work is not entirely reliable, there is a lot of subjective interpretation of the creator and his work is based on patently false sources (including Apricity, and what could be expected from Apricity?).

    I don't know who Davide Cocci is but he has a lot of points here.

    "Were Roman Emperors Blonde?"

    https://medium.com/@davieco/were-rom...e-2255ec77d123

  16. #66
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    18-11-19
    Posts
    63


    Country: Brazil



    I don't know if the reconstructions were based on objective descriptions, but it is a very interesting job anyway.

  17. #67
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,767

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax Augusta View Post
    I agree with you, but as we have already said elsewhere, this reconstruction work is not entirely reliable, there is a lot of subjective interpretation of the creator and his work is based on patently false sources (including Apricity, and what could be expected from Apricity?).

    I don't know who Davide Cocci is but he has a lot of points here.

    "Were Roman Emperors Blonde?"

    https://medium.com/@davieco/were-rom...e-2255ec77d123
    Great find, Pax



    To sum up, out of the 46 emperors for which we have a recorded physical description, as reported by H. V. Canter, only 4 can be described as having “fair hair”, of which one wasn’t naturally fair and used to dye his hair blonde (Commodus), one described as “flavium” was naturally blonde (Lucius Verus), Nero and Augustus described as “subflavum” were probably ligh brown as explained above.

    It is also good to see the Apricity is being called out for being a Neo-Nazi website by platforms like Medium.

  18. #68
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    18,947


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Great find, Pax



    To sum up, out of the 46 emperors for which we have a recorded physical description, as reported by H. V. Canter, only 4 can be described as having “fair hair”, of which one wasn’t naturally fair and used to dye his hair blonde (Commodus), one described as “flavium” was naturally blonde (Lucius Verus), Nero and Augustus described as “subflavum” were probably ligh brown as explained above.

    It is also good to see the Apricity is being called out for being a Neo-Nazi website by platforms like Medium.
    What this points out in a dramatic way is how much false information is on the internet. Some Neo-Nazi at theapricity makes up a chart with blatantly false information, posts it on the internet, and people just accept it and create a whole picture gallery based on it.

    If the guy who created the one which is the subject of this thread is made aware of this, and isn't some Nordicist himself, he should change them. If, after being informed, he doesn't change them, then we have his measure.

    Our saying on this thread that there is no data from the time indicating all this blondeness, as I said upthread, doesn't reach enough people.

    When I think how many people believed posters from theapricity when they made all their protestations that they are Italian, or part Italian and are the antithesis of Nordicists, while pushing Nordicism with every post, well, it's enraging, as is the fact that people who knew who they really were and the agenda they were promoting, pretended to be unaware of it all.

  19. #69
    Regular Member ihype02's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-10-16
    Posts
    541


    Country: Albania



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    It is also good to see the Apricity is being called out for being a Neo-Nazi website by platforms like Medium.
    Racism towards Black people out of all in that site is enormous beyond point. I have a concrete example of one person just recently wishing cancer on Black people for simply living in his country, legally, and he didn't got banned until he wished cancer on 2 white members and only for severall days. He is not the first or the last to display this type of behaviour.
    Alt-right ideas such as holocaust denial, white supremacy and to a lesser extend nordicism are very wide speard in there.
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...%99-is-a-Fable

  20. #70
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,767

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihype02 View Post
    Racism towards Black people out of all in that site is enormous beyond point. I have a concrete example of one person just recently wishing cancer on Black people for simply living in his country, legally, and he didn't got banned until he wished cancer on 2 white members and only for severall days. He is not the first or the last to display this type of behaviour.
    Alt-right ideas such as holocaust denial, white supremacy and to a lesser extend nordicism are very wide speard in there.
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...%99-is-a-Fable
    This kind of purile trash would be grounds for immediate banning here on Eupedia. As Apricity members continue to populate Anthrogenica, it further distinguishes Eupedia as one of the only respectable forums for archeogenetics.

  21. #71
    Regular Member Archetype0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-06-18
    Posts
    480

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/J-Y21878*

    Country: Albania



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Tbh as extreme as Eupedia is on banning people, I think Anthrogenica is even more extreme. It feels like half the forum is banned there. Also, doubt anyone could deny the Holocaust in Anthrogenica either without getting insta yeeted out of there. As for Apricity, I don't have an account, but from lurking, I fluctuate between cringing at their ethnocentric and often supremacist/fascist edginess and laughing at some idiotic arguments.
    “Man cannot live without a permanent trust in something indestructible in himself, and at the same time that indestructible something as well as his trust in it may remain permanently concealed from him.”

    Franz Kafka

  22. #72
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    883

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-s10483>by96055
    MtDNA haplogroup
    from plovdiv h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Make no mistake
    They are not crazy on jews there either
    It is not only against blacks...🤔
    They are not denay the holocoust
    But they are happy it happned
    ( from my experience as a jew there
    i was in this forum for few months)
    As much as i didn't like that forum
    And experienced anti-semetic attack
    First in my life...
    Still i believe in the freedom of speech
    Even if i didn't liked the horrible way they think🤔

    P.s
    But yes buttom line
    Eupedia is better than both apricity and anthrogenica

  23. #73
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,767

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archetype0ne View Post
    Tbh as extreme as Eupedia is on banning people, I think Anthrogenica is even more extreme. It feels like half the forum is banned there. Also, doubt anyone could deny the Holocaust in Anthrogenica either without getting insta yeeted out of there. As for Apricity, I don't have an account, but from lurking, I fluctuate between cringing at their ethnocentric and often supremacist/fascist edginess and laughing at some idiotic arguments.
    I don't think there is anything extreme about our moderation. Everyone that is banned, is for legitimate reasons.

  24. #74
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,767

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    The only thing that makes me cringe are smarmy hubblebraggarts.

  25. #75
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    13-11-19
    Posts
    48

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1B L21 - MC14
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6A-sc5

    Ethnic group
    English, Irish, German, Swiss German
    Country: United States



    When a Holocaust is brought up IMO all peoples suffering should be included. China lost 20,000,000 people at the hands of Imperial Japan. They too had horrible death camps. I think in Europe the total number who lost their lives is 12,000,000.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •